Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

corny wrote: »
    Its ridiculously early to be making judgements like that isn't it?

It's not early though, this is year four of a bad decline, and it was not the time to try play clever buggers with management selection but the county board did

Let's see where we are at the end of the league, and if its 2A then Gilroy needs to be told he only has the 2019 league to change our course or we get an actual hurling management team in to do it. We can't afford to f**k around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Will be playing London next year by looks of things. Was watching the line from Hogan and they just seemed absolutely clueless. Cunningham at least had the good sense to pretend it was nothing to do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

JRant wrote: »
    I've always felt the wide open spaces of CP don't suit us and we would be far better scraping these double headers and sticking to PP.

I agree with this. I can never understand why the hurlers play in Croke Park.
    Better chance of winning in Parnell Park tighter pitch, better atmosphere plus it is easier to see a hurling match in Parnell then Croke Park.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree about the PP factor. What date is the Limerick match and is it home or away?

Away to Antrim next - who gave Galway a fair rattle today - then Limerick on February 17 in Limerick. That will be the end of that, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I agree with this. I can never understand why the hurlers play in Croke Park.
    Better chance of winning in Parnell Park tighter pitch, better atmosphere plus it is easier to see a hurling match in Parnell then Croke Park.

You could have played that game on a 5 a-side pitch and it wouldnt have helped us. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Think you'll give us a good go in limerick. We ll have our hands full in tullamore next Sunday and wouldnt be surprised if offaly beat us......we re missing 14 lads off panel at moment so fairly threadbare. (10 of Na Piarsaigh team on panel + Hannon,Hayes, mulcahy, Nash out injured)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

Bambi wrote: »
    It's not early though, this is year four of a bad decline, and it was not the time to try play clever buggers with management selection but the county board did

Let's see where we are at the end of the league, and if its 2A then Gilroy needs to be told he only has the 2019 league to change our course or we get an actual hurling management team in to do it. We can't afford to f**k around.

You already had your mind made up though. Surely you should be more open to the chap doing a good job and concede we can't possibly know if he's doing a good job until much later in the season.

Seriously we had a boat load of debutants and a tired looking team. Why the overt negativity in the thread? For a comparison Colm Basquel played an hour later and made mistakes a 10 year old wouldn't make. It can happen to an inexperienced lad eager to make an impression.

You already had your mind made up though. Surely you should be more open to the chap doing a good job and concede we can't possibly know if he's doing a good job until much later in the season.

I think the appointment was a bad decision when we had better options available but we'll see where we are come the summer, if they're turning things around then great

The problem is that if they're not the county board will probably leave them there for the full term just like they did the corkman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Last night was very disappointing. I went expecting a win and never foresaw that performance.

I thought Donal Burke was the only person to play for us for the full game. He was the only player able to catch a ball in the starting forwards which is something we have severely lacked in the last few years. Alan Moore and Fionn in the corners played well in the first half and linked up well together. I didn't understand why Trollier was brought on for Fionn and when he was Alan Moore went completely out of the game and was subsequently substituted. It was crazy that our entire full forward line was substituted. Hedgo did reasonably well when he came on. Another person able to catch a ball who has lost a lot of weight this year and sped up.

I thought the changes made by the sideline went against us instead of helping us on the whole. The sweeper system didn't work. Offaly had more men in the backs and nearly every one of their points was taken by a man with nobody marking him. It looked more like we had two or three men sent off than playing a sweeper.

I'm wondering where the likes of Rushe, Kelly and Sutcliffe are going to fit in, particularly in the league. I still think we've a good chance of points against Antrim and Laois to stay in 1B but not if we play like last night.

• Advertisement

Seriously we had a boat load of debutants and a tired looking team. .

One of arguments for Gilroy was that he would get those who were missing last year back. Well, where are they!

Of course getting the Cuala players back after the club will make a difference, but they may well be relegated by then which would be absolute disaster.

By the way, I am not slagging the players who turn out. They do their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Seriously we had a boat load of debutants and a tired looking team. Why the overt negativity in the thread? For a comparison Colm Basquel played an hour later and made mistakes a 10 year old wouldn't make. It can happen to an inexperienced lad eager to make an impression.

I think we all want the team to do well, at least I hope so anyway. You are right in many respects that it is way too early to judge this management ticket. However, there is a world of difference between the shambles that was the hurling and Basquel's performance.

In one we had a young lad brought into a team full of experienced players that we're able to guide him and in many ways afford him the chance to make those mistakes.

In the other we had a team comprised nearly solely of debutants that just didn't have the luxury of being able to make the same mistakes. Now why did we go into this game with such a green team? Maybe Pat & Co felt they could get the job done but they must have known Offaly were coming with a big lump of a team.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Kavrocks wrote: »
    It was crazy that our entire full forward line was substituted. Hedgo did reasonably well when he came on. Another person able to catch a ball who has lost a lot of weight this year and sped up.

He's come on a lot and was one of the few who seemed able to compete with his man but he was blowing very hard by the end. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

Now why did we go into this game with such a green team? Maybe Pat & Co felt they could get the job done but they must have known Offaly were coming with a big lump of a team.

Is it really THAT important we won this game? Its not the first round of the championship. Was he obliged to put out his strongest team? Maybe he just wants to look at all his options in the league. Maybe he has a longer term plan in mind. At least i hope to **** he has a longer term plan in mind.

Anyway, i'm reminded of conversations i had on this board 8 years ago when Gilroy dropped a lot of experienced players and Meath hockeyed us. I don't think last nights result will shake him if he is trying to mould that 15 players into a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Is it really THAT important we won this game? Its not the first round of the championship. Was he obliged to put out his strongest team? Maybe he just wants to look at all his options in the league. Maybe he has a longer term plan in mind. At least i hope to **** he has a longer term plan in mind.

Anyway, i'm reminded of conversations i had on this board 8 years ago when Gilroy dropped a lot of experienced players and Meath hockeyed us. I don't think last nights result will shake him if he is trying to mould that 15 players into a team.

Well said, well said, well said, well said....a bit of sensible spake is refreshing.

1st outing minus a raft of first choice very strong players. Very experimental side. Gilroy knows these players need a huge amount of work of strength and conditioning in particular as their is a big gulf in the physicality stakes.

Get behind the team, get behind Gilroy. He is a proven winner in every field of sport and business he has entered.

Well it depends on what the aim of this year is really. Clearly trying to get back up to 1A is not that so we can only assume staying in 1B has to be the minimum they are looking at. Last night's result doesn't leave us in good shape IMO. Also, let's be completely honest here, there's a very good chance we will be out of the championship early again this year so why hold some of the more senior lads back. We'll be lucky to see a game in July, never mind August.

Knowing Pat's methods we will be a far fitter and stronger animal next year. They type of training program the lads are on takes time too bed in. We may see some improvements this year when the ground firms up but that's a big ask.

I am more than willing to give this management ticket a fair crack, so it is very early to be judging them. However, from what I've seen so far, we have an awful long road to travel before we start competing at anything like a high level again.

As you rightly point out, Pat took a lot of flak for those early results with the footballers but this is a whole different kettle of fish. I think he can turn things around but it's going to be a monumental task.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

JRant wrote:
    As you rightly point out, Pat took a lot of flak for those early results with the footballers but this is a whole different kettle of fish. I think he can turn things around but it's going to be a monumental task.

Initially he ran with the team of old.

Got hockied

Rebuilt in the league of 2010. Even though we went out early in the LFC there was a style of play developing from the league.

Had a great tail end run in the championship that year.

Won the AI the following year.

So yes relax. The whole team dynamic was a bag of sh1t when the new lads came in. You have to see if the returning guys still have it as well as checking the new additions
    And TBH I was surprised at keaney when he came on he was in better shape than I thought he'd be.

Stoner wrote: »
    Initially he ran with the team of old.

Got hockied

Rebuilt in the league of 2010. Even though we went out early in the LFC there was a style of play developing from the league.

Had a great tail end run in the championship that year.

Won the AI the following year.

So yes relax. The whole team dynamic was a bag of sh1t when the new lads came in. You have to see if the returning guys still have it as well as checking the new additions
    And TBH I was surprised at keaney when he came on he was in better shape than I thought he'd be.

Well there's no danger of us winning an AI in the next year or two :)

Ah, look, you're spot on in fairness. He'll need time to get the team playing his way. I'm just confused why we didn't see more of the older heads. Maybe they are nowhere near the fitness levels he requires but with a fairly limited number of games this year I'd like to see a more balanced team put out.

With that said, Saturday was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from us. There is usually a bit of a bounce in the step when a new lad takes the helm but what I saw was nothing short of an omnishambles.

I'm all on board giving them a fair crack but we need to see something better than what we had to endure at the weekend. It really isn't an overaction to say we were like a Junior team out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Senan Connell analyses Stephen Cluxton's kickouts v Kildare

Well there's no danger of us winning an AI in the next year or two :)

Ah, look, you're spot on in fairness. He'll need time to get the team playing his way. I'm just confused why we didn't see more of the older heads. Maybe they are nowhere near the fitness levels he requires but with a fairly limited number of games this year I'd like to see a more balanced team put out.

With that said, Saturday was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from us. There is usually a bit of a bounce in the step when a new lad takes the helm but what I saw was nothing short of an omnishambles.

I'm all on board giving them a fair crack but we need to see something better than what we had to endure at the weekend. It really isn't an overaction to say we were like a Junior team out there.

Getting relegated to third division, which is distinct possibility looking at the fixture list, would set hurling in the county back years. Footballers under Gilroy never had to play London in the league. That's the future.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Getting relegated to third division, which is distinct possibility looking at the fixture list, would set hurling in the county back years. Footballers under Gilroy never had to play London in the league. That's the future.

It’s particularly laughable when we have the current AI club champions in the county and they are going for 2 in row. There must be some weird inverse relationship between the success of our club and county teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

It’s particularly laughable when we have the current AI club champions in the county and they are going for 2 in row. There must be some weird inverse relationship between the success of our club and county teams.

I'd make the opposite argument in relation to Ballymun, the success of the county team has definitely affected their performance in club sfc, 1 title in this decade is a poor reflection on what I'd regard as the best football team in the county.

Cuala returners should theoretically improve the county team. It didn't really last year. Kenny can feel rightly peed off he didn't get the county job, so they may not be that committed to current regime..

We have a shallow talent pool at club level, a few strong clubs and after that a drop off. It reflects in the county set up

Also if Cuala are in the mix on Paddys day (and I think they will be) their players may not be much use to Gilroy this year as they'll have been on the go for two years straight with the club

If we'd appointed Kenny as manager that problem probably would not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Bambi wrote: »
    We have a shallow talent pool at club level, a few strong clubs and after that a drop off. It reflects in the county set up

Also if Cuala are in the mix on Paddys day (and I think they will be) their players may not be much use to Gilroy this year as they'll have been on the go for two years straight with the club

If we'd appointed Kenny as manager that problem probably would not exist.

.. and yet if you look at the 21's last year there were players from Brigids, Mearnogs, Maurs etc, even Setanta were represented senior last year, so while overall the standard of the teams mightn't be as strong as we'd like there's certainly talent.

.. I have to say it grinds me gears a fair bit when I see comments regarding the players and the managers that they'd perfer - I don't know when that sense of entitlement came into the game but I know I never had a say, and there's fellas I was involved with that I'd cross the street to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Any word yet on Gavin's possible 15 for tonight?

It's looking like the third secret of Fatima,(mansions), will be revealed quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Any word yet on Gavin's possible 15 for tonight?

It's looking like the third secret of Fatima,(mansions), will be revealed quicker.

Should be announced at midday

Much stronger 15 for the Antrim game tomorrow. A must win game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Same team again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement