Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Phew. Glad you cleared that up.

In hindsight, it does make perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stoner wrote: »
    Another clueless multi reg post.

Yes Dublin prefer playing Mayo and need to be spared from the mighty kingdom.

Jesus we were blessed that Kerry were outclassed by the Mighty Mayo last year.
    They'd have slaughtered us in the final after we just squeezed past Tyrone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bambi wrote: »
    Jesus we were blessed that Kerry were outclassed by the Mighty Mayo last year.
    They'd have slaughtered us in the final after we just squeezed past Tyrone

Ah now, in fairness, one of the funniest things about last year, was all of the misplaced optimism (a less...ahem...magnanimous person than my humble self, would call it chest thumping) eminating out of The Kingdom after they bate us in April.

April. A month of the year, when no self respecting Kerry man is even thinking about football, never mind getting worked up over a league game.

And yet there they were, as excited as a bunch of Tralee school boys when a Rose "forgot" to wear a bra to the photoshoot with Daithi.

Only for it all to come crashing down about their ears, before they even got to play us again.....:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,899 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Well it's started early this year. You need to pace yourself or you'll be completely burnt out by the business end of the championship.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Doltanian wrote: »
    Dublin were beaten in the O'Byrne cup last year which the media glossed over to proclaim them as the new footballing Messiah, they ultimately fell on their own sword when faced with Kerry in the League final. Subsequently later in the Championship two pro-Dublin referees Dublin based Joe McQuillan handed them the All-Ireland against Mayo with the worst most one-sided refereeing I have ever seen, David Gough another Dublin based pro-Dublin referee intervened to ensure Kerry would not appear in the final in a series of total disgraceful decisions which ultimately saw Mayo prevail in the semi-final replay.

This has totally besmirched the very good record Dublin holds but until we see fairness in the GAA with regard to neutral unbiased refereeing appointments then Dublin's record is sullied entirely. The media can proclaim todays defeat as a victory because the media and GAA are keen to milk the Dublin corporate brand. Its all a money making racket by the GAA and these gutter tactics to keep Dublin winning by the GAA are doing no favours for the association at all.

We don't need posts like this to enjoy winning the All-Ireland, but when we are looking for something to keep us going through the winter, they are an enjoyable distraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Doltanian wrote: »
    Dublin were beaten in the O'Byrne cup last year which the media glossed over

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Think they won it though didnt they.

You really need to deal with these issues you have about the refs

The rest of the lads are having a great time away in Cape Town celebrating their 3 in a row by all accounts.

Screen-Shot-2018-01-04-at-16.17.04-628x467.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Stoner wrote: »
    I'll be in Parnell park today, there was a road trip planned but I'm going to the hurling game now.

However I agree this is different to last year, there are no guys like Whelan from ballymun or Reddin on the panel, it's missing a bit of experience and possibly toughness.

The squad last year would not have drawn against the other night they would have closed it out, in fact they chased games last year to win them, this squad is a bit flat it was a very poor and flat last 10 minutes, the squad last year finished strongly.

That said Offaly were in decent physical shape for this time of year, only one or two fat Larrys made an appearance.

Some of the members need to be introduced into a team with a few more experienced players. Two or three senior players last week would have made a huge difference.

Only seeing this now Stoner, and fairly prophetic given the goings on Sunday. Not to dwell on it but you're right that little bit of experience and leadership was missing this year. Lads like Carthy, Howard and O'Conghaile to a lesser extent down in Wexford gave a little direction to proceedings, but all told leaving aside the 2 results, there was a different feel to this year. It looked more like we were fulfilling an obligation.

I have to say without being too hard on a group of lads it was a very poor standard over the 2 games, the gameplan seemed to be to drop deep and play on the counter - it may have been viewed that fitness wise they were lacking, but the unlimited replacements would've allowed lads to blow a gasket and come ashore after 20-30 mins hard work. I'd say Carthy, Howard, Basquel can look forward to a bit of football on the 27th.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Only seeing this now Stoner, and fairly prophetic given the goings on Sunday. Not to dwell on it but you're right that little bit of experience and leadership was missing this year. Lads like Carthy, Howard and O'Conghaile to a lesser extent down in Wexford gave a little direction to proceedings, but all told leaving aside the 2 results, there was a different feel to this year. It looked more like we were fulfilling an obligation.

I have to say without being too hard on a group of lads it was a very poor standard over the 2 games, the gameplan seemed to be to drop deep and play on the counter - it may have been viewed that fitness wise they were lacking, but the unlimited replacements would've allowed lads to blow a gasket and come ashore after 20-30 mins hard work. I'd say Carthy, Howard, Basquel can look forward to a bit of football on the 27th.

I was fairly surprised at the result. not because of this big Dublin juggernaut team or anything, but that Wexford side had 7 starters who only first pulled on a Wexford senior jersey either that day or in the game previous against Offaly and 2 of the subs too. 9 of the starters would be under 22. Extremely young and inexperienced side, regardless of their opposition I would have thought they'd struggle (as they did against Offaly). Despite the great win and the huge celebrations afterwards (;)), Wexford will be very much at the bottom end of things for a good few years yet.

bruschi wrote: »
    I was fairly surprised at the result. not because of this big Dublin juggernaut team or anything, but that Wexford side had 7 starters who only first pulled on a Wexford senior jersey either that day or in the game previous against Offaly and 2 of the subs too. 9 of the starters would be under 22. Extremely young and inexperienced side, regardless of their opposition I would have thought they'd struggle (as they did against Offaly). Despite the great win and the huge celebrations afterwards (;)), Wexford will be very much at the bottom end of things for a good few years yet.

Exactly bruschi, this was nowhere near a full strength Wexford team either. I think McLoughlin decided to blood young lads in the OBC to see if they'd potential for the league, they looked very young overall. I went visiting relations after the match, thankfully I got to stay indoors drinking tea rather than down the town :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Exactly bruschi, this was nowhere near a full strength Wexford team either. I think McLoughlin decided to blood young lads in the OBC to see if they'd potential for the league, they looked very young overall. I went visiting relations after the match, thankfully I got to stay indoors drinking tea rather than down the town :D

Problem is for us, is that could well be as good a team as we can field for the near future. There wont be a whole to more to come back into the fold. I'd be surprised if you had ventured out that you would find anyway either out drinking after the match, or anyone even our after the match! not much people out to watch the footballers play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Not gonna lie...seeing Giller & Mickey Whelan patrol a Dubs sideline once more, is making me a tad weepy.

#Memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

And people thought the Cork man was bad!

Some plan to kill Dublin hurling altogether? Embarrassing stuff for last few weeks.

1-10 unanswered....:eek:

What the actual.....

Let's not get carried away though. Very disappointed with the final score, but we were 5 pts up at about the 55 minute mark. Ok, so the wheels fell off in rather spectacular fashion in the final quarter, but there were a lot of positives to be taken from the first 3.

Seems to have some plan that if you knackered and get hammered, it benefits you. Well. I would say jury is out on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Joekers

ProudDUB wrote: »
    1-10 unanswered....

What the actual.....

Let's not get carried away though. Very disappointed with the final score, but we were 5 pts up at about the 55 minute mark. Ok, so the wheels fell off in rather spectacular fashion in the final quarter, but there were a lot of positives to be taken from the first 3.

5pts up till 45 mins when Winters got sent off and then the wheels came off, Sutcliffe unlucky not to score a goal and Wexford went straight up and scored theirs, experience lacking then on the field to keep the heads. We really didn't know how to play with 14 men

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Joekers

Bonniedog wrote: »
    And people thought the Cork man was bad!

Some plan to kill Dublin hurling altogether? Embarrassing stuff for last few weeks.

2 months into new management and it's embarrassing stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Joekers wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't agree it's embarrassing stuff. The sending off turned the whole game and we didn't have the experience or composure to deal with it today. Up until that point we were holding our own with some very good performances from some of the young lads. There were some good performances in the last two competitive games also which bodes well for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Joekers wrote: »

Obviously didn't bother to go out and watch the lads.

Being watching them for over 40 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:

Have you been out this year Bonniedog?

Bonniedog wrote: »

Of course you have... 40 years and this is embarrassing?

So I assume that's a no you didn't bother going out to watch the lads.

I'm 55! First match I saw them was when uncle played in 1970 something. Joe Towell, Matt Allen, Harry Dalton, Reinsisches and so on. So don't dismiss my opinion by accusing me of lying. Thanks.

Some of us don't get around well these days by the way!

So again you didn't go see them and I'll ask again you've watched the hurlers since the 70s but yet find this performance which you didn't see embarrassing?

😉

Hidings they have gotten in challenge matches and conceding 1 - 13 without reply last day is not good. Embarrassing even. Perhaps there is a plan.

That is my view, you have yours. I'll see them every home game at least. As have done for long time. It is debate. You don't have to be semi insulting about it!

It looks as though PG will be bringing the same early morning starts into the hurling set up as he did with the footballers. I have this feeling that he is taking the same path in identifying the type of character he wants in a player to represent Dublin. Just looking at the chat above about the physical demand being placed on the lads with the number of games in a short period of time and I can't help feeling it's part of s bigger plan.

I'm reminded of the story when he asked McEneaney (I think) to keep his whistle in his pocket during a challenge game against Armagh.

In other news it looks as though Ray Boyne has stepped down from the stats group in the senior set up, a very interesting character full of unlikely insights into the game - I wouldn't be surprised to see him involved in another high profile set up possibly in rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Follow Boyne on Twitter. Put up some great stuff. Interesting guy as you say.

I can see the point of heavy physical training, although not sure to what extent it applies to hurling as to football. We shall see. You would assume that any inter county player in top 7/8 teams is going to be of similar condition. That's not the difference between Dublin and Tipp for example. Look at Cuala. Brilliantly skilled team that certainly are physically tough but its their hurling makes the difference.

As to my remarks about "embarrassing" that was not meant as slight on players. We shall find out soon enough how character building it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Not a lot of room left in the hotels in Omagh and Castlebar for the league matches.
    Some hotels in Omagh are only taking names at present on a cancellation basis only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not a lot of room left in the hotels in Omagh and Castlebar for the league matches.
    Some hotels in Omagh are only taking names at present on a cancellation basis only.

Paddys weekend in Galway is the one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement