Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Tis a strong team to be sure to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Slattsy wrote: »
    Tis a strong team to be sure to be sure.

Will that line up play though?

There was me expecting half an O'Byrne Cup team.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How many All Ireland winners in that team? 10? A dozen? Very inexperienced anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Bambi wrote: »
    How many All Ireland winners in that team? 10? A dozen? Very inexperienced anyway :)

I reckon Basquel is the odd man out if we're talking Senior AI medals, otherwise they all have !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Assume you can buy tickets at ground tonight?

• Advertisement

Same ole same, can't catch can't lift at speed

Actually can't lift at all.

We should play shinty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jaysus this is embarrassing for the Dubs. I suppose the only way is up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,899 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Jaysus this is embarrassing for the Dubs. I suppose the only way is up.

After watching that I would say the only way is down to division 2A. That’s as bad as anything I’ve seen from the hurlers.

Maybe they can use the campaign tontry get something going for the Championship but I would seriously doubt it. Who knows what will happen when a few more bodies come back but if that’s the standard we are in all sorts of trouble.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Patww79 wrote: »

Malnourished youngsters

Malnourished youngsters, who were reared playing shinty and were told just before throw in that they could lift and catch the ball.

Malnourished teenage shinty players who still know more about hurling than the father ted tribute act in the dug out

At least that's how it looked.

We have the fittest hockey team in Ireland. Just pray that Cualas journey doesn't last till Paddys day this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I reckon Basquel is the odd man out if we're talking Senior AI medals, otherwise they all have !

Basquel was on bench for AI replay in 2016 instead of Tomas Brady

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Couldn't believe how that Kildare supporter could score their first goal coming off the Hill like that.
    Even the umpire missed him.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Brogan's work in setting up the two goals was my highlight of the night.

I thought MDMA was very direct in the second half. Looked like they got a roasting at half time.

The two wides just before the gaols were very funny. Scully and I don't know who the other one was, didn't even get a point out of them

Stoner wrote: »

I thought MDMA was very direct in the second half. Looked like they got a roasting at half time.

The two wides just before the gaols were very funny. Scully and I don't know who the other one was, didn't even get a point out of them

Yes. Thought he was brilliant. Little moves and passes and he didn't need to break sweat. Even the little back pass just before he came off would have been raved about if it was Rooney or Ozil. Pure class.

By the way, I was delira Kildare stuck the boot in just before half time. It was just the tonic needed to wake them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Thought we might be second best in the fitness stakes but we ran them off their feet in the second half.

Howard seems to have that knack of always finding the breaking ball in midfield. Good showing.

Some great scores in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well, that went more or less as expected. Sluggish all get out in the first half. Not surprising really, considering they were all sampling the delights of the Stellenbosch vineyards as recently as two weeks ago.

Delighted for Fenton. Should do wonders for his confidence, after 2017 not reaching the stellar heights of his first 2 seasons.

Berno. What can you say? His movement, his reflexes, his game intelligence, they are a joy to behold. This is probably his last year in blue. Whatever 2018 brings, I hope he gets a send off worthy of him and, a last moment to savour in front of the Hill, like his brother did. He deserves it.

Scully will be having nigthmares about that missed goal chance for years. Ah well, at least it wasn't in the champo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Stoner wrote: »

Rock was the other wide - wasnt as bad as scullys because he didn't have as much time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I was attacked last week for describing the hurlers' displays as embarrassing.

Perhaps there is another word for it.

cel1798 wrote: »
    We are looking for new members for GAA tipping group. With over 400 Points Profit since we were started in May 2017, you won’t find a more successful group. Private message this page if you have what it takes. We are looking for people from every county with a knowledge of hurling, football, camogie, ladies football at all levels, club and county.

Mayo for Sam.
    You heard it here first.

Does anyone know where I can get this hoodie but without the zip? It was up on the O'Neills online website just a few weeks ago but it seems to be gone now, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

Does anyone know where I can get this hoodie but without the zip? It was up on the O'Neills online website just a few weeks ago but it seems to be gone now, unfortunately.

Pop down to O'Neills factory shop on long mile road.They should have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I was attacked last week for describing the hurlers' displays as embarrassing.

Perhaps there is another word for it.

Experimentation?

Players only gain experience by getting run outs like this.
    How else are fellas going to learn?
    You can't wave a magic wand and suddenly increase the strength of the panel with all the players missing.
    Nine fellas were making thier league debut.
    A couple of fellas looked useful and that is what you get from these games.

I wouldn't be too hard on them.
    Also; there was a pathetic crowd in to watch the hurlers as well (even by Dublin hurling standards) it is hardly going to encourage lads to play for them when all they are getting is abuse and a paltry support.
    Most of the crowd only showed up with about 10-15 minutes to go.

Are the Dubs only a county of glory hunter supporters now ?

Football....superstars.... 'but sure it's only the hurlers!?' attitude :mad:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Experimentation?

You can't wave a magic wand and suddenly increase the strength of the panel with all the players missing.

The lads who looked useful are already known quantities and tbh most of them looked like they've regressed, thought crummy and barret were poor although they were often trying to hold back the tide

All we really found out is that a lot of the lads playing last night should be nowhere near a county panel, lack the size, lack the skills. So we know we have a very shallow pool to pick from

We also found out that the line have no ideas, playing a sweeper who can't sweep and then sticking with it despite its total failure when we're chasing the game.

Not a good start. We'll see 18 months down the line.

Highlights now on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There is a good chance now that hurlers will be relegated. That would represent a regression to where we were 20 years ago, or worse. People were saying that the hammerings in challenge matches and the complete collapse against Wexford didn't mean anything. Well, they might change their opinion now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Bonniedog wrote: »
    There is a good chance now that hurlers will be relegated. That would represent a regression to where we were 20 years ago, or worse. People were saying that the hammerings in challenge matches and the complete collapse against Wexford didn't mean anything. Well, they might change their opinion now.

Its ridiculously early to be making judgements like that isn't it?

No doubt Gilroy is pushing some version of the January 6am starts with them. I've heard he's all about the S&C! He's right too. This perception that Dublin are all brawn and no skill seems to be unchallenged. Yet when i see us play Galway every year i see them man shame us in the physical battle.

The tactical and technical stuff will take time. Not saying the league is meaningless but given what he did with the footballers (they had a **** 2009 league campaign when he first took over btw) i'm prepared to give him a pass at this very, very, very early stage.

Experimentation?

I wouldn't be too hard on them.
    Also; there was a pathetic crowd in to watch the hurlers as well (even by Dublin hurling standards) it is hardly going to encourage lads to play for them when all they are getting is abuse and a paltry support.
    Most of the crowd only showed up with about 10-15 minutes to go.

Are the Dubs only a county of glory hunter supporters now ?

Football....superstars.... 'but sure it's only the hurlers!?' attitude :mad:

Players learn nothing by getting hammered like that, absolutely nothing. The problem with these type of results is that they destroy the confidence and are very hard to come back from. It's one thing shipping a hiding like that from a Tipp team, it's a whole other ball game when Offaly do it to you (no offense to Offaly).

I absolutely refuse to believe that this is the level we should be playing at. New systems and personnel take time to bed, I understand that, but where do you go as a panel when it's nothing but heavy defeat after heavy defeat.

Seriously though, we played with 8 defenders for large parts of that game and got torn to shreds. Last night wasn't even close. I wouldn't like to be Gilroy or Cunningham trying to make sense of where they are because right now we look like a Junior hurling team pretending to be Seniors.

I would be far more concerned about what's going on the pitch then the number of people in the stands. I've always felt the wide open spaces of CP don't suit us and we would be far better scraping these double headers and sticking to PP.

corny wrote: »
    Its ridiculously early to be making judgements like that isn't it?

No doubt Gilroy is pushing some version of the January 6am starts with them. I've heard he's all about the S&C! He's right too. This perception that Dublin are all brawn and no skill seems to be unchallenged. Yet when i see us play Galway every year i see them man shame us in the physical battle.

The tactical and technical stuff will take time. Not saying the league is meaningless but given what he did with the footballers (they had a **** 2009 league campaign when he first took over btw) i'm prepared to give him a pass at this very, very, very early stage.

It is very early to be making concrete judgements but what we have seen is very worrying. Maybe they have decided to sacrifice the league and just train hard all the way through it but all the S&C in the world is not going to get lads lifting the ball without needing 2/3 attempts or finding a blue jersey with a pass.

Looking at the fixture list there is a very real possibility of going down, even at this early stage. We pretty much needed something from our home games to make life easy for ourselves. That's out the window now and as much as I would love to see I can't see anything but relegation from here on in, unless we see a major turn around soon.

The sweeper system is about the easiest one to implement if your goal is to stay close and not get beaten out the gate while giving yourself a semi-competitive chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Bambi wrote: »
    Patww79 wrote: »
    Is it a team of youngsters? Can't watch because Virgin and Eir are **** but I'd heard during the week he was going with kids which I found strange.

Malnourished youngsters

Malnourished youngsters, who were reared playing shinty and were told just before throw in that they could lift and catch the ball.

Malnourished teenage shinty players who still know more about hurling than the father ted tribute act in the dug out

At least that's how it looked.

We have the fittest hockey team in Ireland. Just pray that Cualas journey doesn't last till Paddys day this year
    Cuala will whack Liam Mellows next weekend and set up a final date against na Piarsaigh on Paddy's Day. Mellows would be regarded as weak Galway champions this year, and Mattie Kenny is a very shrewd operator in addition to Cuala being a serious team!
    Imo its bad for the Dublin hurling team that Cuala are going for 2 in a row, in that the players haven't had a break from the game. Last year they went straight in with Dublin after winning and it will be the same again this year and it does take its mental tole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement