Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Abugarcia wrote: »
    Nothing done as of yet I’ve a few things planned 👌ðŸ»
    Have you got one yourself with any mods?

Yeah I’ve a 2016 Dsg that’s stage 2 it’s up for sale at the minute but I’m not sure it’s the right move.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abugarcia

tossy wrote: »
    Yeah I’ve a 2016 Dsg that’s stage 2 it’s up for sale at the minute but I’m not sure it’s the right move.

Seen that, lovely car! That a serious setup love the oem look that packs a punch! Did you find out what power it’s putting out? Why do you not think it a good move?

I find the problem with these cars is it’s a big ask trying to sell privately I had to sell my s3 to a dealer in the end

Seen that, lovely car! That a serious setup love the oem look that packs a punch! Did you find out what power it’s putting out? Why do you not think it a good move?

I find the problem with these cars is it’s a big ask trying to sell privately I had to sell my s3 to a dealer in the end

Not sure it’s a good move because it’s a great car to own/daily. Every time I drive it I second guess myself oh selling it.

What year was the S3?

I was going to put it on a dyno but lockdown earlier this year put paid to that. If things settle down and i keep it I’ll do it. Should be around 380 on low map ( Irish fuel) and closer to 400 On high map (good fuel of NF octane booster )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone have or know of an issue with the reversing camera not turning on? It's been happening more frequently when reversing into my parking spot. Sensors come on just not the camera. Sitting with the engine off and putting it into reverse works. Maybe stopping and selecting reverse too quickly throws it off or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone have or know of an issue with the reversing camera not turning on? It's been happening more frequently when reversing into my parking spot. Sensors come on just not the camera. Sitting with the engine off and putting it into reverse works. Maybe stopping and selecting reverse too quickly throws it off or something.

It shouldn’t really. The only thing going in to reverse too quickly is the camera might not come on as fast as you can reverse but I’ve rarely seen one not to turn on.

• Advertisement

Not sure it’s a good move because it’s a great car to own/daily. Every time I drive it I second guess myself oh selling it.

What year was the S3?

I was going to put it on a dyno but lockdown earlier this year put paid to that. If things settle down and i keep it I’ll do it. Should be around 380 on low map ( Irish fuel) and closer to 400 On high map (good fuel of NF octane booster )

S3 was 2018. That’s some power! They definitely need tuning from stock just to wake them up a bit😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Twice this week my camera hasn't come on. It says Park pilot not available. It still beeps but no camera or sensor diagram. It then works the next time I'm in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Same happening on mine once a week...and also happened on a previous car...

S3 was 2018. That’s some power! They definitely need tuning from stock just to wake them up a bit😄

Why did you move from a 2018 S3 to an R. Just curious.

OSI wrote: »
    Used to get that once a week when I had the Golf as well. Asked the garage to check it every time I had it in and always got back a "worked fine when we tried it".

Not overly impressed with the software on recent VWs. I've had a recurring issue with CarPlay/Android Auto in both the Golf and now the Tiguan where the audio won't come through initially and adjusting the volume just shows a blank volume slider. I have to change it back to radio, adjust the volume and then go back to CarPlay/Android Auto for the audio to work and then it functions as expected. Park Assist got stuck in a perpetual back and forth last week as well. Would tell me to move forward and back and always end up in the exact same spot rather than managing to make it into the parking space.

Yeah I've had the Android Auto issue alright, even the navigation will work but no music. Sometimes volume can't be adjusted and sometimes it can, neither time has any music playing. Must try switch to radio and back.

It's a shame because VW's infotainment is one of the better ones in my experience and the bugs aren't as bad as what I've seen in Opel and Peugeot, at least with VW when you lower the volume the music pauses.

I have concerns with the Mk8 because reviewers are having issues with the touchscreen not working or freezing resulting in them being unable to adjust volume or climate properly.

I wonder if they can do a reset when it's in for the next service.

• Advertisement

Why did you move from a 2018 S3 to an R. Just curious.

Il be honest just on looks alone. I always loved the look of a lapiz blue 3dr R. So when one came up I went for it.

Il be honest just on looks alone. I always loved the look of a lapiz blue 3dr R. So when one came up I went for it.

That's 100%. I wanted an S3 but to be honest in the spec i was looking for you were talking 4/5 k more at the time than an equivalent R.

I really didn't think i'd warm to the interior of the Golf but it's grand. In 10 years time though i think the interior of the S3 will stand up better. I had an 08 S3 previously and the interior was a great place to sit didn't feel like a car from 2008 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

What price should a 2015 GTD Realistically be ? And would it drop that much come early next year

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What price should a 2015 GTD Realistically be ? And would it drop that much come early next year

What milage are you doing, what's kind of roads, I'm constantly knocking 41mpg out of a Revo tuned GTI on any kind of a decent spin and I don't spare it.
    Hard to know what the future holds but with a lot of work from home on the horizon can't see the GTD holding up well to the GTI and R.

What milage are you doing, what's kind of roads, I'm constantly knocking 41mpg out of a Revo tuned GTI on any kind of a decent spin and I don't spare it.
    Hard to know what the future holds but with a lot of work from home on the horizon can't see the GTD holding up well to the GTI and R.
    Around 20,000 miles a year on, based in mayo so not much motorway driving yeah really unsure on what the future holds for them,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Anywhere between 14 and about 18 grand depending on spec, mileage and condition really. I’d imagine you could take about 3 grand off in a years time again depending on use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Spot on there. I paid 22.5k for a decent spec one in July 18 and traded it for 17 in December 19, so 5.5k depreciation in 17 months or so. But they seem to depreciating heavier since with the amount of cheap imports coming in. They have gone so common, we were in Westport last weekend and saw surely 7 or 8 of them, even the wife commented on how common they were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Homer

^^^ On of the reasons I went for the Octavia VRS estate (diesel variant) instead of the GTD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I'd buy a GTi instead. The running cost differences are barely noticeable unless doing massive miles
    The VRS will depreciate heavily too but they are cheaper to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ReckedRob

Got myself a 15 Golf R DSG at the start of the year having come from 1.4 Mk4>Gen 7 Celica VVTLI>Astra OPC. Mad about the car and surprised at how quick it was over the 240brake OPC. First launch was an experience! Hooning it since!

Lots of past discussions on remapping on boards, but they are all quite old at this stage and none mention the DIY options.

Looking for a stage 1 map but not sure what route to go

-Custom garage (not sure of exact names yet)
    -Branded garage (Dalton revo)
    -DIY at home remap (mountune52, integrated engineering, VUDU)
    -DIY at home additional chip (JB4)

The at home versions seem to be cheaper and would be happy to do it myself, and seem to have great reviews. Plus the DSG tune seems to be easier to get this way.

Would like to know if anyone has used any of the above and how did you find it?

4.7 to 60 is fast, but would like to see what 3.7 is like if it only costs around 1k which most of the options above do.

• Advertisement

I've a stage 2 revo R all done at Daltons. I can't fault the revo software, power delivery and drive-ability is just as important as headline numbers. I'm not sure if the others do it but the revo software will also limit boost until the engine/oil is up to temp which is a nice feature to have to stop you inadvertently or deliberately pushing it on when stone cold.

Heres the photo that no one asked for...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

ReckedRob wrote: »
    Heres the photo that no one asked for...

Lovely, I’d a red and white one and the red looks far better in it.

What would be the best golf trim level After the GTD GTI etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

An estate version of the R seems to be on the cards again this generation. Why don't they give the estate version the same rear lights as the hatchback?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

SaintsYB wrote: »
    An estate version of the R seems to be on the cards again this generation. Why don't they give the estate version the same rear lights as the hatchback?

Pretty horrendous looking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Desperate. They just can’t (or can’t be bothered) to get the Golf to look right as an estate. Doesn’t matter either way. It not likely to be available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Desperate. They just can’t (or can’t be bothered) to get the Golf to look right as an estate. Doesn’t matter either way. It not likely to be available here.

Isn't this meant to be the last of the golfs, it's a bit big to be an R, a more compact version would look good..

crop_vw_space_6.jpg?itok=tfRxerO6

That estate is awful, looks like a dog making a crap like Jeremy used to say

• Advertisement

I've a soft spot for estates, I think the Mk7.5 R estate looks class as does the Passat GTE estate but WTF is the arse on that? Why not make it flat, it looks awful. Taillights look huge too.

Advertisement