Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Something funny with that car, wonder is it Australian or something, or Japanese.

I typed in 181OY1598 instead of 89 and nothing comes up, so it’s a very very recent import.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Never mind, just google R Grid edition and Australian cars come up. Strange car to import that stuff makes big money over there.

Explains the clocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

L-M wrote: »
    Something funny with that car, wonder is it Australian or something, or Japanese.

I typed in 181OY1598 instead of 89 and nothing comes up, so it’s a very very recent import.

08/07/2020 according to Cornmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Now that is very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I'm only getting a chance to see some GTDs now since I came here asking for advice. Going to see this one at the weekend, can any of the more eagle eyed spot anything to watch out for? https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gtd-2-0-tdi-184-bhp-2015-151/25283394

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

bazz26 wrote: »

That is nice. And the people at McCoy are pretty spot on from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

I'm only getting a chance to see some GTDs now since I came here asking for advice. Going to see this one at the weekend, can any of the more eagle eyed spot anything to watch out for? https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gtd-2-0-tdi-184-bhp-2015-151/25283394

MIB 1 would be a big turn off for me, a poster on here bought and an R from them recently and gave the garage decent feedback (if that helps)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

That definitely helps, thanks. Don't think MIB1 would be a dealbreaker for me, it seems much better than what I already have at the moment so still an upgrade. Is it much worse than MIB2 besides the screen size?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

It looks great to me. Good luck with the test drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

That definitely helps, thanks. Don't think MIB1 would be a dealbreaker for me, it seems much better than what I already have at the moment so still an upgrade. Is it much worse than MIB2 besides the screen size?

Big difference is Android auto and apple carplay. They're both well worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Waze/Android auto is worth every penny if your not into blue lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ9QECQPlus

Quite a good albeit UK centred summary of Golf r and its success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Bought my R from Ed. He is a good guy to deal with and will offer a decent warranty which he stands over, I know that's meant to be common practice but you wouldn't believe the amount of places that wriggle out of warranty claims. I don't know anything about that particular car but he gave me similar money for my GTD in December but it had 82k on it so a substantial enough difference in mileage. If your doing a straight deal he will give it to you for a better price I imagine.

My old car had MIB1 but my R has the pro NAV upgrade, even though it is still MIB1 the upgraded screen is much more intuitive.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ9QECQPlus

Quite a good albeit UK centred summary of Golf r and its success.

He sounds like Alan Partridge :D Good review though with some good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭theintern

That car has an option that you almost never see, the automatic parking. You can see the second P button up by the gear stick and the extra sensors in the wheel arches. It would be a cool little option to have. It's kind of odd, since it doesn't have DCC, Nav, or keyless entry, but does have Park Assist.

I agree on the MIB1, I'm a massive fan of Android Auto. It's cool how since it actually just runs on your phone, it updates over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Big difference is Android auto and apple carplay. They're both well worth having.

I would have said the same but to be honest in my case with the built in wireless charger and the Bluetooth connection just being automatic I haven’t connected by cable to use CarPlay for a long long time as it’s sort of hassle to have to bring a cable when it’s not even needed to charge and Bluetooth does calls, Spotify and Audible etc.

Wireless CarPlay would be a game changer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Hi Lads,
    If front bumper is removed to replace lower grill does it mean that ACC sensor needs to be calibrated as per main dealer advise - cost €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Max Q

AutoMan79 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,
    If front bumper is removed to replace lower grill does it mean that ACC sensor needs to be calibrated as per main dealer advise - cost €300.

Most likely yes, those ACC sensors are incredibly sensitive and require calibration with a special rig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭theintern

I would have said the same but to be honest in my case with the built in wireless charger and the Bluetooth connection just being automatic I haven’t connected by cable to use CarPlay for a long long time as it’s sort of hassle to have to bring a cable when it’s not even needed to charge and Bluetooth does calls, Spotify and Audible etc.

Wireless CarPlay would be a game changer though.

You can retrofit wireless car play. This little device apparently does it. I know very little about it, because it doesn't work for Android Auto so I haven't looked into it more. https://carplay2air.com/

What wireless charger are you using? Or is it a factory fitted one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Gone already! Someone ready to pounce.
    surprised they got picture up, they are normally gone before they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

AutoMan79 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

No, bumper was off mine a few times and calibration was never needed, acc worked normally. Once the mechanic or body shop are careful and fit everything back properly all will be fine.

theintern wrote: »
    You can retrofit wireless car play. This little device apparently does it. I know very little about it, because it doesn't work for Android Auto so I haven't looked into it more. https://carplay2air.com/

What wireless charger are you using? Or is it a factory fitted one?

I’ve seen them before and wondered how good/reliable they are.

The wireless charger is factory fitted.

Wireless car play is a nice idea but i believe it eats the battery which means on a long run you're probably going to need to plug your phone in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

tossy wrote: »
    Wireless car play is a nice idea but i believe it eats the battery which means on a long run you're probably going to need to plug your phone in anyway.

Or just put it on the wireless charging pad that's built in?

Or just put it on the wireless charging pad that's built in?

I was referring to the retro fit one above. Sorry should of said that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Wireless CarPlay is excellent in fairness. I don't notice it impacting the battery either tbh. The wireless charger in the BMW is fairly hopeless though. Very slow, barely a trickle charge from it, so I gave up using that ages ago.

I hardly bothered with it in the Golf for the aforementioned reasons - faffing around with cables. Particularly on a short journey, I just wouldn't be bothered. I think the MK8 will have wireless, at least as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Wireless CarPlay is excellent in fairness. I don't notice it impacting the battery either tbh. The wireless charger in the BMW is fairly hopeless though. Very slow, barely a trickle charge from it, so I gave up using that ages ago.

I hardly bothered with it in the Golf for the aforementioned reasons - faffing around with cables. Particularly on a short journey, I just wouldn't be bothered. I think the MK8 will have wireless, at least as an option.

Style spec has wireless charging as standard so I'd assume the GTI/R would have the same features plus a few extra similar to the Highline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 c00lkat007

What does everyone feel about buying private at this price range? How should they go about it?

carzone . ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202006160179137?journey=Search

The seller has blacked out the reg plate as well.

Advertisement