Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It was only re announced recently. The GTE is available to order too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

Golf eHybrid PHEV looks like a fairly serious car - that pricing is very competitive too. Basically has the same power as the old GTE but 13kW battery so has electric range of 80km which I think is more than almost all other PHEV's bar the X5e. That kind of ev range would make the car extremely economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

L-M wrote: »
    It was only re announced recently. The GTE is available to order too.

Any firm prices or specs for the gti/e models?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Any firm prices or specs for the gti/e models?

The price for the GTE is 44/45 I think. I’m sure the GTI etc will start around similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

I am interested in buying a mk7 GTi performance. 2013-2015 is about my range

Do people think the price will start to drop any time soon? I'm not really in a rush so could wait a few months.

Also what are the thoughts on NI/UK cars? They don't seem to be massively cheaper from my limited research. Has anyone vrted one lately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Once you starting straying away from lower CO2 the vrt nullifies any saving. You do get more of a choice if you're looking for a particular colour or spec. Did it recently with a Cupra as there weren't any for sale in the spec I wanted. Went with a main dealer, they seemed quite good, covered a warranty job at a dealer here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

coach22 wrote: »

Do people think the price will start to drop any time soon? I'm not really in a rush so could wait a few months.

Also what are the thoughts on NI/UK cars? They don't seem to be massively cheaper from my limited research. Has anyone vrted one lately?

Really can’t see values dropping at all particularly as it will be more difficult to get one from the UK soon enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

coach22 wrote: »

The prices don't just "drop" I'm afraid. They always seem to hold very steady once the initial ~3 year cliff-face depreciation is suffered by the first owner. Once the MK8 launches it'll impact MK7 prices a bit but thats still some way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

Selling my 132 GTI Performance pack if anyone is interested in a clean example. great spec, reluctant sale but funds needed for house.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/132-vw-golf-gti-performance-pack/25909927

any questions or advice on the add im all ears

I drove an ID3 today. I liked it. A lot! Most craic I’ve had in a new car for a long time.

• Advertisement

piobhan wrote: »
    Selling my 132 GTI Performance pack if anyone is interested in a clean example. great spec, reluctant sale but funds needed for house.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/132-vw-golf-gti-performance-pack/25909927

any questions or advice on the add im all ears

Nice, it looks very tidy and good spec for an early car. Honestly I think it’s strong money. I’d lose the mudflaps and replace the rubber interior mats with the carpet ones if you still have them. The number plate won’t do it many favours either unfortunately, but nothing you can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I drove an ID3 today. I liked it. A lot! Most craic I’ve had in a new car for a long time.

Did you place an order Joe ?

tossy wrote: »
    Did you place an order Joe ?

lol. No. Not yet :pac:

A real fun car. I’d recommend people have a go in one! I went in with mild interest (or even disinterest) but I’d seriously consider one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

lol. No. Not yet :pac:

A real fun car. I’d recommend people have a go in one! I went in with mild interest (or even disinterest) but I’d seriously consider one now.

I hear they're a lot nicer in the flesh. The interior looks a bit cheap plastic but people of both low and high expectations have come out positive. 204hp too so it won't be slow like an eGolf or Ioniq.

400km+ range isn't too bad either. You'd want a mid spec one at €40k though.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

Nice, it looks very tidy and good spec for an early car. Honestly I think it’s strong money. I’d lose the mudflaps and replace the rubber interior mats with the carpet ones if you still have them. The number plate won’t do it many favours either unfortunately, but nothing you can do about that.

Thanks for the advice, it is a good car, well specd and looked after. I prefer the rubber matts myself, they are genuine and very easy to keep clean. The price is negotiable slightly, looking at done deal I’m pricing it competitively but appreciate your feedback

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I hear they're a lot nicer in the flesh. The interior looks a bit cheap plastic but people of both low and high expectations have come out positive. 204hp too so it won't be slow like an eGolf or Ioniq.

400km+ range isn't too bad either. You'd want a mid spec one at €40k though.

Yeah. The one I drove was the mid spec “Plus”. Probably the one to go for. €7k increments though from basic - mid - top and it’s hard to see where the 7k difference is. They all have the same battery / drivetrain so it’s just mild spec differences. More bells and whistles as you go up. The mid spec one has loads of kit.

The poke from a standing start is impressive. Coupled with RWD it was good fun.

The interior is ok. Yes there’s some hard plastics but overall I thought it was good. I sat into a new MK8 Golf in the showroom and tbh the Golf does have the better dash, but it all felt a lot more “conventional” with the old gear stick in the centre console!

In terms of cost, they’re really pushing this new ID Plan which is PCP with another name. It’s a bit more like leasing though. They encourage zero or minimal upfront deposit but at the end of the 3 years you’ll have very little equity so you’re handing it back / rolling into a new one.

Thanks for the advice, it is a good car, well specd and looked after. I prefer the rubber matts myself, they are genuine and very easy to keep clean. The price is negotiable slightly, looking at done deal I’m pricing it competitively but appreciate your feedback

I just think a carpet mat photographs a lot better but I know what you mean.
    Clean MK7 GTI’s are in demand so I’m sure you will find a buyer. Most Irish examples of similar vintage would have horrid basic spec too.

Yeah. The one I drove was the mid spec “Plus”. Probably the one to go for. €7k increments though from basic - mid - top and it’s hard to see where the 7k difference is. They all have the same battery / drivetrain so it’s just mild spec differences. More bells and whistles as you go up. The mid spec one has loads of kit.

The poke from a standing start is impressive. Coupled with RWD it was good fun.

The interior is ok. Yes there’s some hard plastics but overall I thought it was good. I sat into a new MK8 Golf in the showroom and tbh the Golf does have the better dash, but it all felt a lot more “conventional” with the old gear stick in the centre console!

In terms of cost, they’re really pushing this new ID Plan which is PCP with another name. It’s a bit more like leasing though. They encourage zero or minimal upfront deposit but at the end of the 3 years you’ll have very little equity so you’re handing it back / rolling into a new one.

Consensus on the ev forum seems to be that the cheapest one is the one to go for at 34k odd. The 7k jump to the plus doesn’t get much apparently according to most posters there.
    I reckon it will be a big hit as will the suv id4 being launched imminently.
    Trading the 4 series for one an attractive proposition?

Consensus on the ev forum seems to be that the cheapest one is the one to go for at 34k odd. The 7k jump to the plus doesn’t get much apparently according to most posters there.
    I reckon it will be a big hit as will the suv id4 being launched imminently.
    Trading the 4 series for one an attractive proposition?

I think the mid spec does add a few “essentials” to be fair. Full matrix LED’s front and rear. 19’s wheels. A bit more colour coding. Nicer seats... I’ve flicked through the thread on the EV forum. If anything, as a “car guy” it puts me off. It reads like a new iPhone thread. So I wouldn’t put much weight on the consensus there.

He said the “Max” can’t be got at all. None in the country.

Yes I think this will be a huge hit.

Whether it’s for me or not or if trading the current car is an option, not sure. I didn’t seriously talk numbers. But considering that you can get into the VW with minimal upfront it’s likely to be a good option for many. This ID Plan has apparently got a max 10% deposit but the VRT / SEAI kickback covers that. So essentially the customer puts nothing in upfront.

I think the mid spec does add a few “essentials” to be fair. Full matrix LED’s front and rear. 19’s wheels. A bit more colour coding. Nicer seats... I’ve flicked through the thread on the EV forum. If anything, as a “car guy” it puts me off. It reads like a new iPhone thread. So I wouldn’t put much weight on the consensus there.

He said the “Max” can’t be got at all. None in the country.

Yes I think this will be a huge hit.

Whether it’s for me or not or if trading the current car is an option, not sure. I didn’t seriously talk numbers. But considering that you can get into the VW with minimal upfront it’s likely to be a good option for many. This ID Plan has apparently got a max 10% deposit but the VRT / SEAI kickback covers that. So essentially the customer puts nothing in upfront.
    I agree, as a car enthusiast I would go for the plus but the ev people seem often to have different priorities.
    Looking forward to a test drive myself.
    I was reading today about the serious financial problems the German car makers are in so VW will be offering very attractive finance to get these on the road.
    Did you ask about prices for new gti while you were there?

• Advertisement

I agree, as a car enthusiast I would go for the plus but the ev people seem often to have different priorities.
    Looking forward to a test drive myself.
    I was reading today about the serious financial problems the German car makers are in so VW will be offering very attractive finance to get these on the road.
    Did you ask about prices for new gti while you were there?

I didn’t even mention the GTI tbh. That’s going to be a 50k+ car. I’d say VW are very eager to get these cars on the road alright. I believe the finance packages are specifically tailored to keep the cars in their dealer network and to get you coming back for another one in 3 year cycles.

I read an article a few months back in Car magazine that VW really do not want you to buy a id3 with cash at all.
    They have the id3 on a 9 year life cycle apparently.
    3*3 years of finance, with specific finance packages for each cycle. The whole car is designed to be recycled then.
    They actually do want you to treat it as you do a mobile phone.

I agree new gti will be a 50k car here and the R with a bit of spec a 60k plus car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't know lads, the looks of the ID.3 just don't do it for me. Too much EV car look about it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

You asked for advice and Joe have you an honest answer. It's a lovely example but it's tipping close to 100k miles. Being honest I think it's a 15-16k car, which isn't far off your starting point. It's nearly 8 years old too so if you got around that money I think you would be doing well. It's a lovely example though, great spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I have genuine Golf rubber mats in my GTI as I prefer them to carpet mats like yourself, BUT if I was selling my car I'd put back in the carpet mats. The interior of a car looks better with carpet mats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/golf-r/25927837

23k for a 3 door 2014 7R private sale seems mad money to me. With 9 owners... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

If it didn't have that many owners on the book its not bad money i would have thought. But as someone said on another forum if the original owner scrimped on the €570 a year tax what else was scrimped on.

Same car in an independent garage is asking €25-26k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

OSI wrote: »
    Why does the tax disc says the car is green? :confused:

The insurance disc doesn’t appear to be valid either, it’s missing the mandatory green strip.

Advertisement