Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Don't accept BMW Ireland's answer Dave

When I had my EGR troubles (I had smoke in the cabin whilst driving, valve cooler and manifold changed) BMW had my car for seven weeks as they had no parts. Zero communication from BMW throughout the whole gig unless I badgered them for info. Got a sh1tty Auris as a replacement car which my insurance would only cover for 4 weeks then wanted an additional I think .€40 / wk. Car came back dirty too.

No apology from BMW for the whole gig and flat out refused to cover my extra insurance costs. Did a bit of googling and got the name of all the top lads in Ireland, UK & Germany. An old sales trick when you want to get in touch with someone senior is figure out the company's email address format. I.e. you might not find John Smyth's (or should I say Schmidt!) email online but if the company format is 'Initial.Surname @bmw.ie / co.uk / de you can bet his is too.

Anyhow emailed a lengthy letter of complaint and copied in all the big boys. Small bit of too-and-fro but eventually got an apology to include a reply direct from the office of the CEO, full refund of my additional insurance costs and a €500 voucher for my troubles. Obviously that's on a smaller scale than yourself MM but the moral of the story is the same.

EDIT: Use the words stress and dangerous. Repeatedly. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Esel wrote: »
    I didn't know the car was 7 years old.

Still though, by offering what they did, they are effectively admitting responsibility.

In this scenario I would be pushing for them to provide at least the new engine free of charge to you.

The labour charge is more than enough of a hit for you to take, imo.

In fairness, a goodwill gesture is just that. I dont see how it's an admission of anything?

Its them saying we'll work with you for working with us. It's still expensive, granted but if you back at them condeming they could pull the whole offer.

I know €5k odd is a massive figure but to be fair tou probably wouldnt get a used engine for much less and even if you did it wouldnt be near as trustworthy a job.

At 7 years old and 45k kms if the car is used daily it's rarely getting a decent long run either ....... loads of cold running, short hops. Not really what 3.0 diesels are happy doing. It's no excuse but I'd consider the BMW offer quite fair all considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Augeo wrote: »
    At 7 years old and 45k kms if the car is used daily it's rarely getting a decent long run either ....... loads of cold running, short hops. Not really what 3.0 diesels are happy doing. It's no excuse but I'd consider the BMW offer quite fair all considered.

It gets proper motorway drives at least twice a week and I look after it big time including the DPF condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I think the offer is quite fair given the age of the car. Still doesn't stop it leaving a bad taste given the tiny mileage. Genuinely gutted for you.

I would say it getting up to temp is a big thing with these engines though. I work in different locations but 25km into the office, especially in winter, doesn't even have the coolant heated up in mine, so the oil is obviously in the same boat.

• Advertisement

It gets proper motorway drives at least twice a week and I look after it big time including the DPF condition.

Yup, no doubt .......... it's the 5 days of pootling about that I'd reckon aren't ideal. As I said it's no excuse for the engine to sh1t itself. A large percentage of the miles on it are "cold" miles for want of a better word. The damage (unless it's a factory defect) might well have been done years back under previous owner.
    I think the offer is quite fair given the age of the car. ..........
    I would say it getting up to temp is a big thing with these engines though................

Yup, x2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Augeo wrote: »
    Yup, no doubt .......... it's the 5 days of pootling about that I'd reckon aren't ideal. As I said it's no excuse for the engine to sh1t itself. A large percentage of the miles on it are "cold" miles for want of a better word. The damage (unless it's a factory defect) might well have been done years back under previous owner.

Yup, x2.

Still, not acceptable.

Also, all diesels lead different lives. So, why aren't all the diesels that live on "cold miles" failing? I'll tell you why - they're not all bad designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well on the plus side at least you are getting a new engine. I wish I had a new engine in my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Often thought about this but is there any way to claim off your insurance for engine failure?

Like if a car is damaged in an accident its no issue for them to pay out, or water damaged.

When a reasonably high end car like this needs an engine replacement surely insurance should cover it or is an independent warranty the only way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I Imagine fully comp should cover this kind of thing, but you'd probably be rode come renewal time, or you run the risk of them declaring it an economic write off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I would say it getting up to temp is a big thing with these engines though. I work in different locations but 25km into the office, especially in winter, doesn't even have the coolant heated up in mine, so the oil is obviously in the same boat.

Is your gauge for coolant? Think mines is oil temp.

@MM sorry to hear your pain on the car.

Just watched a interesting video on VVD. I knew about VVT(VANOS, VVT-i, etc...)and VVL(VTEC, MIVEC Neo VVL, etc...).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Is your gauge for coolant? Think mines is oil temp.

There's an app for that ;)

My dash is the same, only shows oil temp. Dunno if the full digital dash does both maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

F3Xs show oil temperature only. At least it's better than E9Xs which didn't give you anything. I assume that like with the older BMWs you can get the coolant temperature through hidden menu 7. Oil temperature is more useful than coolant in any case for knowing if the engine is fully warmed up.

Yeah ye had me worried there for a second. I had a golf before I didn't realise the guage was for coolant not oil.... for a little while at least :S.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Lads who do you need to contact about traffic light sequences?

On my road they've changed the light sequence where it seems they have put a timer at a set of lights....grand except one road has little traffic filtering out bar rush hour in the morning and the other road is out of a housing estate with about 20 houses in it. So now if you hit a red light on the main road you could wait upwards on a minute or more where nothing comes out of either road. This is causing a large back up on the main road and pushing back on to another large enough junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mfceiling wrote: »
    Lads who do you need to contact about traffic light sequences?

On my road they've changed the light sequence where it seems they have put a timer at a set of lights....grand except one road has little traffic filtering out bar rush hour in the morning and the other road is out of a housing estate with about 20 houses in it. So now if you hit a red light on the main road you could wait upwards on a minute or more where nothing comes out of either road. This is causing a large back up on the main road and pushing back on to another large enough junction.

Local council roads department

For example dublincitycoco .. go onto site select nearest options and email or ring obviously business hours, if it is dangerous there should be emergency contact.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Still, not acceptable.

Also, all diesels lead different lives. So, why aren't all the diesels that live on "cold miles" failing? I'll tell you why - they're not all bad designs.

Is the 3.0 diesel BMW a bad design? Do lots of them sh1t themselves like this one?

It's obviously an outlier and my view is the small mileage over 7 years with lots of cold miles was likely a contributory factor to the failure.

BMW are now covering 100% of the engine cost. This brings my bill down to 3k all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Great news MM.

It pays to keep the service history with bmw big time instead of trying to save 20% from an indy.

• Advertisement

Take the new engine to an indy now :)

Quick question that hopefully someone knows the answer to. My car rolls when parked in gear. All my cars over the years I always leave in second and pull up the hand brake. My current car the first time I noticed it was when I parked a bit of a slope and left it in second didn't pull up hand brake and car started to roll while I was still sitting in it so just pressed the brake and done a bit of testing just in case it was a fluke or wasn't engaged in gear but no my car rolls while in gear. Just thinking when I type this I should have tried other gears but I also put all my cars in second and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I'm sorry but all on about cold mileage are talking out of their hoop. It has absolutely no bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Quick question that hopefully someone knows the answer to. My car rolls when parked in gear. All my cars over the years I always leave in second and pull up the hand brake. My current car the first time I noticed it was when I parked a bit of a slope and left it in second didn't pull up hand brake and car started to roll while I was still sitting in it so just pressed the brake and done a bit of testing just in case it was a fluke or wasn't engaged in gear but no my car rolls while in gear. Just thinking when I type this I should have tried other gears but I also put all my cars in second and never had a problem.

It’ll roll indefinitely, or for a few inches?

What car is it?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’ll roll indefinitely, or for a few inches?

What car is it?

Roll forever. 1998 Toyota Levin.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Take the new engine to an indy now :)

I will in me hole :pac:

Gonna ask them if I can take part of the old engine to make a table from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

I will in me hole :pac:

Gonna ask them if I can take part of the old engine to make a table from.

Could end up being sent back to Germany for inspection? That happened with a BMW motorcycle engine I had replaced free under good will, had to pay labour.

Just watched a interesting video on VVD. I knew about VVT(VANOS, VVT-i, etc...)and VVL(VTEC, MIVEC Neo VVL, etc...).

Cams are so old fashioned....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭carsfan2

BMW are now covering 100% of the engine cost. This brings my bill down to 3k all in.

Great stuff. Lessens the pain a little bit.

• Advertisement

They mention Freevalve in that video I posted but Hyundai wanted a mechanical system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement