Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Yep, north of 5k.

I was eyeing the M4. That dream is dead in the water for now anyway!

Hold - does that mean full cost for a new engine fitted would be 25 k?????.

Or am I miscalculating.

25 k is mindblowing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Jaysus MM, that's some dose. I think it's time to take out an extended warranty on my own ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Is there any reliable site that gives brake disc size going off your reg? Gonna change the discs on the Mazda but I'me seeing several different sizes when I put my reg in and not actually sure which is correct, bar taking a wheel off to measure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

I feel sorry for genuine enthusiasts like MM, there is the other type of lads who drive X car never even pop the bonnet to check a level or two, ignore warning lights/signs and then when it goes bang curse X car manufactuer to death and swear blind they'll never buy one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Old diesel wrote: »
    Hold - does that mean full cost for a new engine fitted would be 25 k?????.

Or am I miscalculating.

25 k is mindblowing stuff.

25k???? Over 5 k is what's stated

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    That's MM's bill after BMW's 80% goodwill. Although it's stated the goodwill is only on the cost of engine not the labour, so it could well be something like engine costing 5,000 and labour of 4,000.

Yes but not 25k....

I bought a UK Navara and brought it on myself, a few actually...

Anyway the best one had was 2005 only 3 years old, brand new engine fitted, cost was just under 5k. They didn't even put in the labour cost on the receipt. Nissan footed the complete bill

Was an absolute peach to drive, really didn't want to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

A new engine costs €14,000 + VAT. My bill of >€5,000 + VAT is for the remaining 20% plus labour for removing and stripping the engine along with installing the new one.

That engine cost doesn't include the likes of the turbo, EGR, EGR cooler etc. as all those parts are being removed from my old engine, checked, flushed of carbon or otherwise cleaned and installed on the new engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Awful bad luck MM, hard to believe on such a low mileage car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

@ MM - sorry to hear that about your car.
    What engine was it? the 2 or the 3 ltr?
    What mileage was on it?

Sister in law bought a car off CarsOnline.ie (via donedeal). They gave her a fairly small amount for trade in on her old car (as is to be expected, of course).

She collected her new (to her) car today, and they took her old one. They rang a few hours later, saying the clutch was going in her old car, and they wanted €350 off her to get it fixed. She said that's no problem, she'll have their car back up to them, she wants a full refund and she'll take her old car back. Naturally, they said they'd call her back, and so far no word.

Just posting it here as a heads up incase anyone else falls for this. An utter scam. My brother (her husband) said he seen a car they had for sale too when he was up there and was considering buying later this week. Naturally he'll go nowhere near them now.

What a stupid way to put people off you, and have people like me report it online here to hopefully sway others off too.

(as an aside, I drove her old car a fair few times, including long trips, and the clutch was grand everytime I used it).

Chancers.

• Advertisement

cadaliac wrote: »
    @ MM - sorry to hear that about your car.
    What engine was it? the 2 or the 3 ltr?
    What mileage was on it?

3 litre with 67,000 km on it.

The courtesy car I have is a 2012 F10 520d with over 276,000 km on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Who did she buy it off and where are they located. carsireland afaik is just a website like donedeal.

Who did she buy it off and where are they located. carsireland afaik is just a website like donedeal.

CarsOnline.ie, not CarsIreland.

They have a website of that name, and a Donedeal "showroom" account with a few cars there too.

EDIT: This is them: https://www.donedeal.ie/dealer/52

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Sorry to hear about your car misfortune MM.
    I thought the three litre was fairly bulletproof and 67k is nothing in mileage terms.
    Did you have to fight hard to get Bmw’s support towards new engine?
    We had a recent biggish problem out of warranty and they eventually came pretty good but after a lot of back and forth and initial refusal.

CarsOnline.ie, not CarsIreland.

They have a website of that name, and a Donedeal "showroom" account with a few cars there too.

EDIT: This is them: https://www.donedeal.ie/dealer/52

Fúck sake can't even read. Cheers.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your car misfortune MM.
    I thought the three litre was fairly bulletproof and 67k is nothing in mileage terms.
    Did you have to fight hard to get Bmw’s support towards new engine?
    We had a recent biggish problem out of warranty and they eventually came pretty good but after a lot of back and forth and initial refusal.

No back and forth. The dealer just applied for it and they came back with that offer a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

A new engine costs €14,000 + VAT. My bill of >€5,000 + VAT is for the remaining 20% plus labour for removing and stripping the engine along with installing the new one.

That engine cost doesn't include the likes of the turbo, EGR, EGR cooler etc. as all those parts are being removed from my old engine, checked, flushed of carbon or otherwise cleaned and installed on the new engine.

That's saucy and a complete balls.

Are they using the original ECU with the new block?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I would be pushing them to cover all costs. At the very least, the full cost of the engine.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    I would be pushing them to cover all costs. At the very least, the full cost of the engine.

It's actually nuts such an expensive high range motor would fail like that.

What's to stop the new block doing the same.

It's like the timing chain issues and swirl flaps etc.... Pay big money and get absolute sh1t....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

67,000 km :(
    40,000 miles in old money? Jesus MM, that's a bloody scandal. :mad: It's unacceptable in this day and age too. Hell if someone bought a car in the 80's and after following recommended servicing it spun a main bearing at that mileage there would have been words. Would you have any recourse in law MM? Small claims court kinda thing?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

That's a real pity. It's a lovely car and you'd feck all mileage done since you got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sorry for your troubles MM, it puts my own car's problem into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

No back and forth. The dealer just applied for it and they came back with that offer a few days later.

If that was their opening offer, I would be pushing for more to be honest. It’s unacceptable for an engine failure at that mileage. I presume you have full service history which counts in your favour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

That's pretty shocking a modern engine would fail like that. I did hear reference to it on Hoovies Garage recently that new engines were giving issues.

Could I recommend one of these to replace it?

https://youtu.be/p0KU9vsLh30

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

ba_barabus wrote: »
    That's pretty shocking a modern engine would fail like that. I did hear reference to it on Hoovies Garage recently that new engines were giving issues.

Could I recommend one of these to replace it?

https://youtu.be/p0KU9vsLh30

That video reminds me, I've not seen JohnBoy26 round these parts in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Sorry for you troubles MM. Nothing worse, especially if you've just bought or are about to sell.

Is boards being DDOS'd again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Is boards being DDOS'd again?

Looks like it!

dar83 wrote: »
    That's saucy and a complete balls.

Are they using the original ECU with the new block?

Yep, along with all other ancillaries from what I'm told. The ECU will be reset to work with the new engine, mileage remains untouched.
    Esel wrote: »

I rang BMW Ireland and was told that the decision was full and final and that there was nothing they could do apart from log a complaint which may or may not be read down the line.

I agree that they should cover the full cost but despite the low mileage it's a 7 year old car. If it was a few years newer they more than likely would cover 100%.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    40,000 miles in old money? Jesus MM, that's a bloody scandal. :mad: It's unacceptable in this day and age too. Hell if someone bought a car in the 80's and after following recommended servicing it spun a main bearing at that mileage there would have been words. Would you have any recourse in law MM? Small claims court kinda thing?

Yep, 40,000 miles. No idea about going the law route but it would cost a lot more to go that way as opposed to what is ahead of me at the moment.
    That's a real pity. It's a lovely car and you'd feck all mileage done since you got it.

True, 25,000km when I bought it.
    carsfan2 wrote: »
    If that was their opening offer, I would be pushing for more to be honest. It’s unacceptable for an engine failure at that mileage. I presume you have full service history which counts in your favour too.

Yeah, full BMW service history from Colm Quinns and Morrisons. Never went outside the BMW service network in case anything like this happened.
    Interslice wrote: »
    Sorry for you troubles MM. Nothing worse, especially if you've just bought or are about to sell.

Thanks man. I had done a deal with conzy and he was going to buy it. He was in the car with me when it all went FUBAR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I didn't know the car was 7 years old.

Still though, by offering what they did, they are effectively admitting responsibility.

In this scenario I would be pushing for them to provide at least the new engine free of charge to you.

The labour charge is more than enough of a hit for you to take, imo.

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement