Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Have a 2 post lift in one of the sheds but I put in an in floor scissor lift beside it. I actually prefer the scissor lift, looks a lot more tidy

Scissor lifts aren't great if you have to work on the wheels or suspension.

I think scissor lifts are safer also as I seen a video online of a car falling on top of two or three people with a two post lift due to not correctly aligned on the holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, they are really for different types of jobs. Scissors is easier to get onto and get into the air with less setting up but is mostly for service style work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Scissor lifts aren't great if you have to work on the wheels or suspension.

I think scissor lifts are safer also as I seen a video online of a car falling on top of two or three people with a two post lift due to not correctly aligned on the holders.

The wheels and suspension are completely free as it's only the sills that are in contact with the lift

PsychoPete wrote: »
    The wheels and suspension are completely free as it's only the sills that are in contact with the lift

We are obviously talking about a different kind of scissor lift. The one I was thinking about you drive straight on and all four wheels are lifted up and there is not much working room as the part you drive onto is pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You should really have wood or rubber blocks between the ramp and the sills, I’ve seen some amount of damage from people leaving the weight of the car on metal to metal.

I’d always favour a 2 poster, out of all the ramps I’ve used (maaaaany) I’ve never had a reliable scissor lift. Once you know how to load a 2 poster and you ensure your locks are engaged they are safe as houses.

I used my 2 poster in work for working on long wheelbase, twin axle, high roof vans, your cars will be fine. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Damaged sills are ridiculously common, used to see it alot when I was with renault. Wouldn't mind but most had the little triangle on the sill to show where the jacking points were. No excuse for it

Damn just thinking about my old car a Mirage Asti Rx Version R. You don't even see them for sale any more. You do see colts/mirage but not a asti version which is the coupe. If one was for sale it would be dear enough I'd say due to rarity. The coupe in picture in link is a standard asti the Version R had a high lift spoiler extra bracing and some sort of intercooler thing for oil I think. Looked like a mini intercooler behind the front bumper.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1998/1989275/mitsubishi_mirage_asti_rx_version_r.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

An oil cooler. I love the way it was sold on steel rims, they knew there was no point in offering it with the extra cost of alloys as owners would be sourcing their own anyway :)

An oil cooler. I love the way it was sold on steel rims, they knew there was no point in offering it with the extra cost of alloys as owners would be sourcing their own anyway :)

Yea an oil cooler. I'm not sure if the Version R came with steel rims or alloys. It also had the back windows factory tinted and a higher lift low cam and a higher lift high cam than the standard Mivec. I'm not sure how it ranked in Japan when new obviously not as good as the Type R's(ek9 and DC2). They were more stripped down and more powerful engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My car's infotainment system decided to throw a hissy fit yesterday evening. No sound whatsoever from the speakers, parking censors still work on the screen but no beep as you get closer to an object. Bluetooth forgets to pair with your phone every time you get into the car, cannot play any music either via the HDD or through streaming. Ditto with the radio stations, and a warning message comes up on the screen occasionally telling me that there are no warning tones active. Tried rebooting the infotainment system but still not change.

Doing a bit of googling of this and it seems to be a common enough problem and points to the Harman Kardon amp located in the boot. With work and the poor weather/light this time of year I didn't get much opportunity to remove the boot trim to have a look if there was any water lodged in there. I'm getting it looked at next week by a BMW indy to investigate but if it is the amp then they are not cheap. Indy quoted me around 1k plus vat for a new one if it's the amp but it might also be the module it's connected to. There are second hand amps for sale on ebay but they are still pricey enough and your really gambling will they last 6 weeks or 6 years.

Fingers crossed it's the cheaper module, I'd hate to think what BMW would charge. The car is 5 years old so well outside warranty, I've had it 2 years and this is the first time it's given me any sort of grief. The joys of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Fingers crossed bazz and hopefully you get it sorted for a reasonable price. Funnily enough my own is acting a bit odd too. When I put it into reverse, the rear view camera works fine but I get a ping on the dash saying camera failure, same with the surround view camera. Yet they're not in failure and working.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Do you use the hard drive for music? Corrupted mp3's can cause issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Common enough for water to get into the battery area in the boot so it would be my first port of call. Plenty of modules and wiring in there that could be affected. Not sure if amp is located there or in the side panels though.

I'm not optimistic, as you know it's rare something is cheap to fix on these cars when it does go wrong. The biggest thing is that I'd be happy to permanently remove the amp but from reading about them it seems all these devices are linked into some sort of fiber optic Ethernet ring where if one fails it breaks the ring so they all stop functioning until the ring is reestablished. A crap design to have a single point of failure like that.

Definitely not corrupt mp3s as it's effecting other functions such as the volume, bluetooth, all speakers including the PDC chime and Sat Nav voice commands. I wiped all the music from the hard drive and copied some over again but made no difference. Amp is located in one of the side panels but I'll have a look at the battery this coming weekend too if we get 5 mins without rain, hail or snow.

I used the hard drive in mine once and it threw a wobbly. Normally use Spotify only but hit against the mode button with the edge of a coffee cup. Never touched it since and it's been fine.

*touches wood*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Buy a toyota lads. Problem solved!

Interslice wrote: »
    Buy a toyota lads. Problem solved!

I would rather walk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

All your symptoms point to an amp issue, as you've already said. Id have no issue buying a second hand one as they should last if the issue was water ingress it's not really the amps fault. I wouldn't be waiting for an indy either. Your combox is in your boot too, but it's specific to your car and not sure you can just buy one second hand as all the connected drive **** is done through it. You could be finding more water than you're hoping in there. Hope it's just a lose connection or something for you.

On a separate note, I have a serious want for this little machine

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002287816792?atmobcid=soc3

That's a cool Clio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

vintagevrs wrote: »

On a separate note, I have a serious want for this little machine

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002287816792?atmobcid=soc3

They are a serious car on the Nurburgring what they lack in power is well made up for in terms of handling :) Not sure what they would be like to live with on a day to day basis would be very different to your 3 series. Personally I would love one not sure as a daily driver though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

So here's how my car has been for the last week:

49613016806_f4041da54a_z.jpg

Conzy and I were on the way to view an M4 in Naas last saturday week when all of a sudden we hear a slight knocking sound from the engine on the motorway. We put it down to either the wind blowing over the mirrors or something loose in the engine bay.

No...fooken engine spun a bearing :rolleyes:

BMW Goodwill covering 80% of the cost of a new engine leaving me with a hefty bill for the remaining 20% plus labour.

:eek:

There's not much miles on it either is there?

Augeo wrote: »
    :eek:

There's not much miles on it either is there?

67,000 km :(

Serious badluck, that's awful. Fook.
    That mileage and you'd still be on the factory wiper blades sometimes. Chr1st, unreal sh1tter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I feel for you. Even with 80% good will I imagine you still have a hefty outlay.

Harcrid wrote: »
    I feel for you. Even with 80% good will I imagine you still have a hefty outlay.

Yep, north of 5k.
    OSI wrote: »
    Who was eyeballing the M4? I would have thought you'd both be looking at X5s at this stage :pac:

**** luck on the engine though, BMW really don't seem to have a good handle on their diesels.

I was eyeing the M4. That dream is dead in the water for now anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Had to have the rocker cover replaced with a second hand one on the e90 last week due to an oil leak. And that was the reason why :(

Mechanic reckons it happened due to a pressure pipe from the dpf coming lose and fixed before my ownership. The joys.:rolleyes:

20200302-113701.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Christ MM, that's awful bad luck, sorry to hear that! Hopefully she's sorted soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch a modern BMW, they have completely lost the ability to build a reliable car these days. Practically every mate I know who has one has had some quite terrible (and expensive) issues with them. No thanks

Even the petrols, or is it mostly diesels? I'd quite like to own an M140i in the next year or two...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement