Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

DiscoStew wrote: »
    No retirements so far don't think.
    Lot of additions, but how many will make the cut come the league is hard to say. The likes of Paddy Cooke, Harley Barnes, Kieran Bennett, Thomas Ryan, Jordan Henley, Ross Dunford (think that's his name - plays with Colligan) have all been training.
    In fairness the management are having a look at plenty players! Of the ones mentioned, and there could be more even, I would say Thomas Ryan probably has the best chance of making it at this stage. Cooke might get in as third choice keeper perhaps.
    Anyone heard of anyone others training with the panel currently?

I think Kieran Bennett could step up. A different type of player to his 2 younger brothers but a real teak-tough defender and could eventually mould into fullback. I heard Steven Daniels was stepping away from it for a while. Any truth in this

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    I think Kieran Bennett could step up. A different type of player to his 2 younger brothers but a real teak-tough defender and could eventually mould into fullback. I heard Steven Daniels was stepping away from it for a while. Any truth in this

Daniels stepping away was mentioned on here previously but i honestly can't say as haven't heard a thing about that. Would be disappointing after seeing him make it back last year but I'm sure he has his reasons if there is any truth to it. In truth we aren't too short of options at the back either.

Kieran Bennett could possibly make it. I just don't see him making much of a break through this year in any meaningful way. Good to have these types of lads involved in the panel however I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There's no Waterford crystal cup in 2016 instead there is a round robin league between all the Munster county's except Tipperary

We start on the 10 Jan 2016 vs Limerick at wit.

13 Jan- vs cork in mallow 7.30
    17 Jan- vs Clare in wit 2.00pm
    24 Jan - vs Kerry at Fitzgerald stadium

Nhl starts 14 Feb vs Kilkenny in wash park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

No retirements so far don't think.
    Lot of additions, but how many will make the cut come the league is hard to say. The likes of Paddy Cooke, Harley Barnes, Kieran Bennett, Thomas Ryan, Jordan Henley, Ross Dunford (think that's his name - plays with Colligan) have all been training.
    In fairness the management are having a look at plenty players! Of the ones mentioned, and there could be more even, I would say Thomas Ryan probably has the best chance of making it at this stage. Cooke might get in as third choice keeper perhaps.
    Anyone heard of anyone others training with the panel currently?

Tommy Ryan who was on the senior panel before?
    It would be good to add some more young talent to the team indeed.

Tommy Ryan who was on the senior panel before?
    It would be good to add some more young talent to the team indeed.

Indeed he was. Do you not think he could have an impact? Or indeed be worth a place on the panel? Could see him being an option in a role similar to Colin Dunford possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Indeed he was. Do you not think he could have an impact? Or indeed be worth a place on the panel? Could see him being an option in a role similar to Colin Dunford possibly.

With the amount of pace Tommy Ryan has, if he's used in the right way he could certainly cause defences a lot of problems. I think there's plenty to look forward to with Pauric Mahoney coming back in, Austin Gleason being a permanent fixture in the forward line hopefully and Shane Bennett and Patrick Curran having bigger roles to play in 2016.

With the amount of pace Tommy Ryan has, if he's used in the right way he could certainly cause defences a lot of problems. I think there's plenty to look forward to with Pauric Mahoney coming back in, Austin Gleason being a permanent fixture in the forward line hopefully and Shane Bennett and Patrick Curran having bigger roles to play in 2016.

Not sure how much of a role Pauric will be able to play this year. Wouldn't rush it and set him back, better to take it slow which could mean sitting out all of league. Hard to imagine him being at full tilt then for championship.

Not sure how much of a role Pauric will be able to play this year. Wouldn't rush it and set him back, better to take it slow which could mean sitting out all of league. Hard to imagine him being at full tilt then for championship.

Ya that's a fair point probably more likely too see him come off the bench at least for the early part of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The game has gone much more physical in the last couple of years even. Winning possession was his biggest obstacle, so unless he's totally changed body shape then he'll struggle.

hardybuck wrote: »
    The game has gone much more physical in the last couple of years even. Winning possession was his biggest obstacle, so unless he's totally changed body shape then he'll struggle.

He would certainly struggle under high ball but if his movement is good and the ball in is quick and low then his pace should be enough plus him running onto breaking ball like Colin Dunford did during the year then he could be effective. I personally don't think a small quick forward is redundant in the modern game. Maybe he'll struggle maybe he won't but after the year he's had he should be looked at again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

He would certainly struggle under high ball but if his movement is good and the ball in is quick and low then his pace should be enough plus him running onto breaking ball like Colin Dunford did during the year then he could be effective. I personally don't think a small quick forward is redundant in the modern game. Maybe he'll struggle maybe he won't but after the year he's had he should be looked at again.

The problem Waterford had in the two games against Tipp and KK was a lack of physical conditioning, amongst other things. You could see the difference between sides that had a few years of conditioning under their belt and what was a young side in the early stages of their development.

What you had in those games was Waterford forwards trying to win dirty ball, isolated, delivered by backs under pressure.

I can remember sitting with a birds eye view of Ryan in what I think was his last big game in the quarter final v Cork in Thurles in 2012. He got plenty of low ball in front of him but Shane O'Neill just gobbled him up completely.

People here are very fond of looking at KK, and have you ever seen a KK forward who wasn't able to win his own possession and withstand physical pressure?

hardybuck wrote: »
    The problem Waterford had in the two games against Tipp and KK was a lack of physical conditioning, amongst other things. You could see the difference between sides that had a few years of conditioning under their belt and what was a young side in the early stages of their development.

What you had in those games was Waterford forwards trying to win dirty ball, isolated, delivered by backs under pressure.

I can remember sitting with a birds eye view of Ryan in what I think was his last big game in the quarter final v Cork in Thurles in 2012. He got plenty of low ball in front of him but Shane O'Neill just gobbled him up completely.

People here are very fond of looking at KK, and have you ever seen a KK forward who wasn't able to win his own possession and withstand physical pressure?

I can't disagree with anything you've said the only thing i'll say is that it would be a mistake for Waterford to try to be like Kilkenny. We just don't have those type of players. We have players like Patrick Curran, Colin Dunford, Stephan and Shane Bennett, small skillful forwards. We need to play the type of game that suits these kinds of players. Sure we have forwards that can win there own ball Maurice Shanahan, Austin Gleeson and Pauric Mahoney. But even these players aren't as strong in the air as some of the Kilkenny forwards.
    Derek McGrath needs to find a style that suits the type of players at his disposal. Tipp showed the way when they won the All Ireland in 2010. To win the All Ireland Waterford need to create goal chances by moving the ball quick with overlaps and short passing. In fairness the Derek McGrath alot of our goals this year were created in this way so i believe we're on the right track we just need to be more offensive than we were in 2015.

I can't disagree with anything you've said the only thing i'll say is that it would be a mistake for Waterford to try to be like Kilkenny. We just don't have those type of players. We have players like Patrick Curran, Colin Dunford, Stephan and Shane Bennett, small skillful forwards. We need to play the type of game that suits these kinds of players. Sure we have forwards that can win there own ball Maurice Shanahan, Austin Gleeson and Pauric Mahoney. But even these players aren't as strong in the air as some of the Kilkenny forwards.
    Derek McGrath needs to find a style that suits the type of players at his disposal. Tipp showed the way when they won the All Ireland in 2010. To win the All Ireland Waterford need to create goal chances by moving the ball quick with overlaps and short passing. In fairness the Derek McGrath alot of our goals this year were created in this way so i believe we're on the right track we just need to be more offensive than we were in 2015.

This exactly. How many times over the years have we heard this theory you need to play KK at their own game to beat them? yet rarely if ever have we seen it happen. The team that comes up with a superior system and gameplan, and enough quality players to outhurl them are the team that can beat them. Tipp in 2010 being the rare example. I'm not saying the system we employ at the moment is the one but thinking that you need 6 ball winning forwards isn't the magic solution either.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ovalu

I . We have players like Patrick Curran, Colin Dunford, Stephan and Shane Bennett, small skillful forwards. .

Stephen Bennett is surely 6ft and must be about 14 stone,

ovalu wrote: »
    Stephen Bennett is surely 6ft and must be about 14 stone,

Fair enough, my point really, is that we are lacking forwards who are strong in the air. You don't see Stephan Bennett catch too many high balls although to be fair to him he is one of the best players i've seen to control a high ball with the hurl. Hopefully he can come back from the surgery well and be able to train with the panel close to 100%. He could be the goal poacher we need if we ever go back to playing 3 in the full forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Fair enough, my point really, is that we are lacking forwards who are strong in the air. You don't see Stephan Bennett catch too many high balls although to be fair to him he is one of the best players i've seen to control a high ball with the hurl. Hopefully he can come back from the surgery well and be able to train with the panel close to 100%. He could be the goal poacher we need if we ever go back to playing 3 in the full forward line.
    What's the story with him? How long is he out for? Anyone have any news about the other lads? Is Darragh Fives alright for pre season? What about Steven Daniels? Did they try and get David O'Sullivan to play this year? I presume they have Shane Bennett and Patrick Curran there for the start of pre season

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    What's the story with him? How long is he out for? Anyone have any news about the other lads? Is Darragh Fives alright for pre season? What about Steven Daniels? Did they try and get David O'Sullivan to play this year? I presume they have Shane Bennett and Patrick Curran there for the start of pre season

David O'Sullivan as was mentioned a few pages back was asked and wasn't interested. Daniels some are saying isn't going back this year. Presume Patrick and Shane are with the squad for pre season although there was some talk a while back here to the contrary. No word on Darragh Fives so presume he is training away.
    Stephen Bennett had double hip surgery again I think, although it was a lesser operation this time. Think I remember Dan saying they were going to take his recovery slowly due to previous problems and the seriousness of the situation. How long that will mean he is out for I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

David O'Sullivan as was mentioned a few pages back was asked and wasn't interested. Daniels some are saying isn't going back this year. Presume Patrick and Shane are with the squad for pre season although there was some talk a while back here to the contrary. No word on Darragh Fives so presume he is training away.
    Stephen Bennett had double hip surgery again I think, although it was a lesser operation this time. Think I remember Dan saying they were going to take his recovery slowly due to previous problems and the seriousness of the situation. How long that will mean he is out for I don't know.

With Stephen Bennett let it take as long as necessary as health is more important....also it should be well worth the wait

One thing is sure exciting times ahead :D

Hopefully they can avoid relegation first and foremost...Though the 10th of jan will soon come around

With Stephen Bennett let it take as long as necessary as health is more important....also it should be well worth the wait

I would 100% agree with this. He surely won't be fit for FitzGibbon hurling so hopefully after avoiding that and with care with the recovery we might see him come good later in the year. If can get through munster there is probably a chance of getting Paudie Mahony involved and maybe a fit Stephen Bennett also. Add them to the likes of Maurice, Patrick Curran, Shane Bennett, Colin Dunford etc and we could be more dangerous than last year. Curran could be a huge addition, I would say he has the potential to have a similar impact to Bubbles O'Dwyer, but only if utilised right.
    I think we did very well in avoiding a lot of injuries last year also, especially given the amount of games we played. If we can do similar this year, while intensifying the pre season training, we will be doing well.
    Any more talk of the Fagan lad? Has that transfer been confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

fm tomasmac twitter

drew with UCC yesterday

team

ORegan McNulty Bennett Brown Barnes Prendergast Henley Bennett Kearney Waring Molumby Keating Ryan Roche OHalloran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

3ships wrote: »
    fm tomasmac twitter

drew with UCC yesterday

team

ORegan McNulty Bennett Brown Barnes Prendergast Henley Bennett Kearney Waring Molumby Keating Ryan Roche OHalloran

very experimental team there

fm tomasmac twitter

drew with UCC yesterday

team

Brown corner back? who is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Brown corner back? who is it?

Ross brown colligan / carlow it i think

Ross brown colligan / carlow it i think
    I'm very surprised at that. He hasn't gotten anywhere near the minor/U21 teams

Ya, it would be some what surprising to me also. Apparently played well in few games for Carlow IT. I wouldn't read too much into it to be honest. I don't expect many of them to feature too much for the seniors come championship. Shane Bennett the obvious excpetion with a few more who could feature during the league, all comes down to how well they feature then when given the opportunity. Would like to see McNulty get some game time in the league. No harm in seeing how Colm Roche and Molumby can handle it either, especially against the college teams. I presume that is Mikey Kearney midfield also? Wonder could he be an option in a Jamie Barron type role, as a back up as such? Didn't have a great year last year after a promising winter in challenge and Waterford Crystal games in the forwards.

Sounds like stuck for numbers on the night so Roger Casey brought him along in the back of the van

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

2016 is year three of the three year plan. The minimum requirement is a Munster Senior title.

culbaire wrote: »
    2016 is year three of the three year plan. The minimum requirement is a Munster Senior title.

Well hasn't Derek been given another 3 year term after that? So technically its only year 3 into a 6 year plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Well hasn't Derek been given another 3 year term after that? So technically its only year 3 into a 6 year plan.
    So it's a six year plan now is it? That is just making excuses in advance. No other county with any serious intentions goes on with this nonsense. By all means have one three year plan. After that it becomes excuse making in advance.

• Advertisement

culbaire wrote: »
    So it's a six year plan now is it? That is just making excuses in advance. No other county with any serious intentions goes on with this nonsense. By all means have one three year plan. After that it becomes excuse making in advance.

Alex Ferguson was 10 years at united before he won anything. Patience is a virtue. What about the people last year saying they'll never again watch Waterford while McGrath is in charge? These same people were back in Croke Park for an All Ireland semi in August waving white and blue flags. That's surely a sign of progress in itself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement