Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting technicians 2017/18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Madio Sane

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone on here is doing the August repeats this week and next week? Hopefully I will pass the dreaded Business Management on Thursday and progress to second year (won't be sad to see the back of it).

Just on a side note, what is the best approach when looking for work experience? I do some payroll, ROS and keep track of the receipts and payments journals where I am at the moment. However I need more areas to cover to fulfill the experience criteria of the qualification.

What approach worked for those of you out there? Is it best to send cover letters to various accountants' practices looking for work experience even if they are not actively hiring? Any guidance you can give would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Hi all,
    I’ve applied for this course in the previous week. Have any of you got a job from doing this course, or is it mostly a stepping stone to further education?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Is everybody ready for year 2? The summer flew. Looking at the May 2018 papers for year 2, they don’t seem too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I started year one last week. Loved the taxation module but the business management was a bit of a bore. What do you all hope to achieve after this, especially If not working in an accounting related role already?

Now that we are 4 months in , how are people finding year 2?

• Advertisement

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Now that we are 4 months in , how are people finding year 2?

I find the course a fair step up in terms of what's expected myself. I find the tax and financial accounting more manageable than the management accounting which I'm struggling with. The IAS module is fairly step by step from the book and it's just a question of doing the case studies until you get the hang of the software. The Sage Payroll is fairly new to me (even though I've experience in a different payroll package) and is quite a learning experience.

How are you finding it Maz2016?

Madio Sane wrote: »
    I find the course a fair step up in terms of what's expected myself. I find the tax and financial accounting more manageable than the management accounting which I'm struggling with. The IAS module is fairly step by step from the book and it's just a question of doing the case studies until you get the hang of the software. The Sage Payroll is fairly new to me (even though I've experience in a different payroll package) and is quite a learning experience.

How are you finding it Maz2016?

Yeah I find year 2 a bit easier in the sense that I can follow it easier and know what is expected of you. Saying that, I find it needs more time than year 1. I find business management tough going. On the book it looks doable but when we are doing it in class, she makes it look harder. IAS is grand. I think I’m ok with the payroll, we only had 2 classes of the sage 50 so far and I missed one of those. I think that may be tough

Yeah I find year 2 a bit easier in the sense that I can follow it easier and know what is expected of you. Saying that, I find it needs more time than year 1. I find business management tough going. On the book it looks doable but when we are doing it in class, she makes it look harder. IAS is grand. I think I’m ok with the payroll, we only had 2 classes of the sage 50 so far and I missed one of those. I think that may be tough

+1 on the management accounting. Good to get your opinion on it that it's not just me finding it a challenge. The only saving grace is much like business management last year the exam questions are reasonably straightforward in that they are usually not trying to catch you out like Tax & AFA do.

The book is good for Sage 50. It slows it down and gives a step by step guide especially the early case studies. I had a bit of a leg up in the fact that I had done a Level 5 short course in Sage 50 a few years ago. Though that doesn't stop me making silly mistakes with it all the time.

It's only this year I've got my act together for study. It was my first time in a good while back in a learning environment last year and I am the better for that experience (fingers crossed).

Did you have much exposure to the subjects through work or previous study before Maz?

+1 on the management accounting. Good to get your opinion on it that it's not just me finding it a challenge. The only saving grace is much like business management last year the exam questions are reasonably straightforward in that they are usually not trying to catch you out like Tax & AFA do.

The book is good for Sage 50. It slows it down and gives a step by step guide especially the early case studies. I had a bit of a leg up in the fact that I had done a Level 5 short course in Sage 50 a few years ago. Though that doesn't stop me making silly mistakes with it all the time.

It's only this year I've got my act together for study. It was my first time in a good while back in a learning environment last year and I am the better for that experience (fingers crossed).

Did you have much exposure to the subjects through work or previous study before Maz?

YES!! I noticed that the exam questions for BM are not out to trick you as well. I think all we can do is practice practice practice with these.

I agree with the study, I left it very late last year to begin - and being out of the habit for a good 15 years did not help either. I did sage payroll a number of years ago so find that part ok. I work in the accounts department of a food distributor so deal with invoices and credit notes on a daily basis but it is not sage. I suppose with more practice it will come in time.

Did you notice the there is no sample papers for tax? and also do you know when the revision courses will be? I found them to be a great help last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jkbah

Hi there. Haven't done much at home myself. Starting in New year. A lot to do but hoping all will go Grand like last year. Will be great to have one less exam in May to contend with though

• Advertisement

jkbah wrote: »
    Hi there. Haven't done much at home myself. Starting in New year. A lot to do but hoping all will go Grand like last year. Will be great to have one less exam in May to contend with though

It really is. We got the date for our one think it’s the 8th April. How are you finding it jkbah?

It really is. We got the date for our one think it’s the 8th April. How are you finding it jkbah?

Think it's going ok. Just need to do lots of practice. I found doing past papers and questions from tenjin repeatedly was the only way for me. The revision workshops were well worth it too. I only bought them after. Didn't travel to Dublin

Yeah I travelled to Dublin for some but might do them online this time. I agree about tenjin. AND err is a Amy Revision app aswell , I find that great. I don’t really do the questions at the end of the chapters

Can you watch the revision tutorials afterwards on Touchpoint if you can't make it up to Dublin?

Can you watch the revision tutorials afterwards on Touchpoint if you can't make it up to Dublin?

They charge 30 euro for the full day course or 15 for the half day courses. It’s free to watch back if you paid to go to the course in Dublin

They charge 30 euro for the full day course or 15 for the half day courses. It’s free to watch back if you paid to go to the course in Dublin

Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll probably need AFA and MA tutorials the way things are going.

On another point what do people doing this course intend on doing afterwards re changing job, further study, etc?

They have put the dates up for the revision courses. There doesn’t appear to be any for IAS, our tutor told us on Thursday that there is a high fail rate in that first time round. The other 3 subjects are like last year 60 euro per subject.

I would like to go on and do the ACCA exams afterwards. It’s tough to commit though. How about yourself?

Has anybody got a list of topics and what years they come up? Last year our law guy was able to say sych a topic came up in 2014,2016 etc. Made studying much easier

Yeah I travelled to Dublin for some but might do them online this time. I agree about tenjin. AND err is a Amy Revision app aswell , I find that great. I don’t really do the questions at the end of the chapters

Hi maz2016, just wondering what AND err is an Amy revision app means? I'm sure auto correct helped you out.
    How are ye finding new touchpoint?

jkbah wrote: »
    Hi maz2016, just wondering what AND err is an Amy revision app means? I'm sure auto correct helped you out.
    How are ye finding new touchpoint?

Oh God, I don't even know what I was saying there. :pac: I think I was trying to say that there is a revision app as well. I am not liking the new touchpoint. It is crashing a lot.

Can I ask, with the IAS sample papers, is there anywhere that explains how to do them step by step. I am trying to do a bad debt in Sage 50 and just cant figure it out

Just the book as far as I'm aware. I remember doing a bad debt in it. Had to find amount owed on invoice less vat. Then journal it if I remember correctly.
    We're not at the sample papers yet

• Advertisement

Thanks, I will have to pull out the book. We are but have skipped loads of things. Havent done excel or finished payroll/sage 50.

I did a few hours of tax today. Am happy with that module

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭HeinekenTicket

Oh God, I don't even know what I was saying there. :pac: I think I was trying to say that there is a revision app as well. I am not liking the new touchpoint. It is crashing a lot.

Can I ask, with the IAS sample papers, is there anywhere that explains how to do them step by step. I am trying to do a bad debt in Sage 50 and just cant figure it out

I'd say you were referring to the MyRevision mobile app and it got 'auto-corrected' !

I'd say you were referring to the MyRevision mobile app and it got 'auto-corrected' !

Yeah I think so , never even looked before I posted

How do others remember all the formulas for management accounting? We have a mock exam next week on chapters 1-29 - I tried doing the sample papers but just can not remember the formulas. I have to look up the book all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ZeroCool17

Hi. I'm thinking of doing this is September and I've really enjoyed this thread. Although it has slightly terrified me too 😊 Well done to you all.

I was just wondering what the work experience requirement is like? Is it a certain amount of hours a week or what way does that work?

Hi ZeroCool17. It is a good course. The work experience is based on a 35 hour week for 48 weeks a year for 2 years. But it takes past experience into account. I don’t see how they can prove your hours though. Have a read of this http://www.accountingtechniciansireland.ie/Affiliates/Becoming_a_member/Guidance_Notes_.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ZeroCool17

Hi ZeroCool17. It is a good course. The work experience is based on a 35 hour week for 48 weeks a year for 2 years. But it takes past experience into account. I don’t see how they can prove your hours though. Have a read of this http://www.accountingtechniciansireland.ie/Affiliates/Becoming_a_member/Guidance_Notes_.pdf

Thanks very much Maz2016. I suppose I had it in my head that I'd keep working where I am for 2 years and then get a job in this field. Maybe now looking at it I need to maybe do 1 year and get the cert and then move into this field and try and get the work experience requirement done. Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

ZeroCool17 wrote:
    Thanks very much Maz2016. I suppose I had it in my head that I'd keep working where I am for 2 years and then get a job in this field. Maybe now looking at it I need to maybe do 1 year and get the cert and then move into this field and try and get the work experience requirement done. Thanks again for your help.
    Have a look at Springboard, there is an ACCA diploma in accounting and business run over 1 year, it's a FETAC level 6, this might suit you better, there are different study options including an online, application is still open and start date is next week. I've just filled an application, I was late for the last one and they placed me on a waiting list. No guarantee I will be accepted to this as there are limited places , it's open to social welfare, home makers and employed but a fee for employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

The ACCA diploma in Accountancy and Business qualifies as the first 3 exams towards the ACCA qualification and being a qualified Accountant. Its a handy option if you choose to continue with your studies.

I did the Diploma and then the Advance Diploma and am working on the professional level exams now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 adrian32

Hey there,

As an ATI Year One learner (online programme) I found it very interesting going through this thread, so thanks everyone for your contributions. I have SO many questions!
    I don't have any work experience whatsoever in the field but I do have some background in CS and common sense, and my understanding has been that most of the tedious aspects of accounting have been eliminated due to man's (new) best friend - the computer...
    This is why I was shocked to find out a few months ago that not only are the exams pen-and-paper (I mean, just make us use inkwells and candles, why don't you) but also A LOT of the material learned and examined is all about tedious data-entry and simple numerical error detection that anyone with half a brain could do (rather than just focusing on smart problem-solving, analytical logic etc.)...and in fact, we don't need humans to do anymore. It is just a pure time-wasting element of the ATI course and something irrelevant to modern accounting, where these processes are automated.

In light of this, I find the exam both unfair and incompatible with the modern work environment and would like to get your thoughts, as experienced individuals in the field. What is it like working in Accounting (I'm particularly interested in Tax Advisory)? Are you using mostly Excel or an Accounting Software? What aspects of the ATI course did you find useful in your daily work?

And...is there a technology-hating group of 70-year-old in charge of the ATI exams? What is going on here? LOL...

Cheer and thanks in advance for your time

Advertisement