Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting technicians 2017/18

Options
  • 14-08-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi there. Thought I'd start this thread. Can't see one for the coming academic year. Just signed up for this course. Wondering if anyone else around in the same boat??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

jkbah wrote: »
    Hi there. Thought I'd start this thread. Can't see one for the coming academic year. Just signed up for this course. Wondering if anyone else around in the same boat??

IATI
    CAT
    or
    MAAT

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jkbah

Ati

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭han2000

Just signed up yesterday. Hopefully its not too hard :( . Are you doing full-time, part-time, online?

Doing it part time. Two evenings a week. Have a few little ones at home so going to be busy busy. What about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭han2000

I've signed up to do it online :( I was going to do part time but I'll be starting a new job in September and wouldn't make it in time. At least we have a thread if there's any questions throughout the year, I'm sure I'll have many.

• Advertisement

Would love to do it online but I know I wouldn't have the discipline. Best of luck to you with the course. I'm sure I'll be back on looking for info on the near future...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cats26

Just started it part time myself. Decided after taking 10 yrs off to raise my kids it's time to get back to work!! Finding it tough to get my head back into studying, any tips or advice? I've been writing out notes for myself but it takes so much time, and that's before I have a chance to remember them!! I wonder am I wasting my time doing this and shd I just do sample and past papers???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Cats26 wrote: »
    Just started it part time myself. Decided after taking 10 yrs off to raise my kids it's time to get back to work!! Finding it tough to get my head back into studying, any tips or advice? I've been writing out notes for myself but it takes so much time, and that's before I have a chance to remember them!! I wonder am I wasting my time doing this and shd I just do sample and past papers???

My 2 cents. Go through the books first. If you're only back studying after a long break the questions and answers are going to feel like ancient Greek. The books are meant to ease you into each topic.

Same kinda story. 10 years since college for me too. Had 4 kids since so busy looking after them and trying to do this. It law and business mgt lecturer is brilliant. Really on the ball. I would have more trouble with the practical bookkeeping side of things as that's completely new to me. And lecturer doesn't seem as on the ball. Very nice person and seems very approachable but tends too get side tracked with things that aren't really relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Thanks for starting this thread. Started myself a few weeks ago. Doing it part time 2 evenings a week as well. Similar story 10+ years out of the study routine.
    Just set down today to do a few hours.
    My advice, pick a day/time. I have Sunday mornings to myself in this house so I got stuck into it today. I find the practice questions at the end of the chapters good. The answers are available on the MY REVISION section of the ATI website. All in all I find the whole ATI set up (books and website) to be very good.
    Out of the 4 lecturers we have, they are all quite good and on the ball bar one - Law & Ethics. I will struggle big time with that one I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Pangieob

Hi Started the ATI Course also this year i already feel like i am behind, finding the theory hard to learn. doing 2 evenings a week. the practical i can get in class them i come home and i am so confused again. anyone have any tips on studying?? its been nearly 20 years since i have had to study ....

Hi, I'm working away at mine and find I am getting there....very slowly! Firstly I think you need to be selfish with your time. I find I have to leave the house to study as there is always something to be done or someone coming in or out. If I'm at the library I can juat concentrate on what i have to study. I've been doing out notes and then re-writing them after a couple of weeks. You'd be surprised how much you take in doing that plus they get shorter!! I've only started to do questions the last couple of weeks but still with the help of the books. My tutors are quite good and have said that you are not expected to know everything off at this stage. Again for me its just writing and writing that helps. I Am enjoying it though, nice to be doing something for me!!!

Agree with being selfish! Have 4 under 7 here and they get handed the iPad if I have work that I need to do. Try to tire them out and then put on TV for them while I get some work done otherwise they're asking questions every 2 minutes.
    Finding the tax and financial accounting tough going. Just have to keep at it though. It needs more time than I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Sariah

Fair play to you all. Just to give you some hope, I am sitting my final ACCA paper in December after studying the ATI years ago. I have 5 children and work full time and it has been hard but as you have said you just have to be selfish and make the time to study a priority. I was sitting in my office at 7.30am this morning so I could study for an hour before work. Don't let anything get in your way and best of luck to you all.

Hi all, how is everyone doing with it? Only 5 weeks to the exams, I feel a bit over whelmed by it all to be honest. Panic mode is setting in

I'm the same!! I'm finding tax hard, Just because there are so many little bits and pieces to it. Plus the theory subjects I've just put on the long finger and now exams are nearly here I realise should've given them a bit more time😬😬😬

That’s exactly how I feel. Although tax is the one subject I’m ok in. I’m struggling with the accounting and theory subjects. I read them but just can’t absorb them

I'm just hoping that putting the head down for the next 5 weeks and ploughing through past papers will get me over the line. Planning on getting up an hr and half earlier in the mornings to do a bit and full day Saturday and a few hrs in a Sunday.

It’s hard though when you do a full day at work as well. Are you doing the revision courses?

FEELing the pressure alright. Think I’ll buy the revision after. Our lecturer said they will be available to purchase. Can’t afford a day of travelling to Dublin and back, all that time wasted.

• Advertisement

It is s long day and expensive too. And as you say maybe even wasted time

I'm not going either. Full day if getting the kids sorted too. Though they are supposed to be good, some people from my class went to the last ones. They were very good though and shared their notes. I just keep trying to reassure myself that we it need 50% so hopefully I'll know enough 🀔🀔

Can I ask what way people are revising? I was reading each chapter and going over the practice questions then. Last night one of our teachers totally shot down that method. Said the best way was to do the past papers and sample papers. For some subjects like law, you can print 11 papers 2014-2017 plus the 3 samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭HeinekenTicket

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Can I ask what way people are revising? I was reading each chapter and going over the practice questions then. Last night one of our teachers totally shot down that method. Said the best way was to do the past papers and sample papers. For some subjects like law, you can print 11 papers 2014-2017 plus the 3 samples.
    At this point, I would spend much less time reading and much more time practising.  Make mistakes and learn from those mistakes so that you don't repeat them in the exam - this is more effective than reading.
    In addition to past and sample papers, there is MyRevision available to you.  Generate short quizzes when you can only do a short study session.  Many of the longer questions are based on  past exam questions.

I'm finding bm so hard to revise...its mind numbingly boring!! Any tips.....please?!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I'm struggling to even start my revision. I think the best thing is to do the exam papers too. I've printed all of the accounting ones and going to start there.
    I'm not too worried about the theory ones as I tend to do better with theory than the practical subjects.
    I feel I've bitten off more than I can chew with this course and if I pass I'll probably just take the cert and run and not do Year 2

I’m the me. Struggling now. We had a BM assignment - it was basically 5 questions. We had the use of the book to answer the questions. I got 50%. He said I didn’t put in enough theorists and my answers needed to be longer. I thought once I got the point across I’d be ok. Now I’m panicking

I'm starting to panic a bit, I feel the more I do the less I know!!! I am putting in the hours but don't know how much is actually going in 😬😬

Cats26 wrote: »
    I'm starting to panic a bit, I feel the more I do the less I know!!! I am putting in the hours but don't know how much is actually going in ����

I feel like that. Especially with the theory. I suppose all we can do is keep going and hopefully all the nuggets of information will stick.

• Advertisement

The revision workshops are well worth the investment. Found them very good. Tied up loose ends and learned a lot.

Advertisement