Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accounting technicians 2017/18

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭han2000

Yes I've been working in practice since the start of the ATI course.
    You could easily work away at doing an exam at a time if you are working.
    It probably is best to be in some sort of training contract while you're doing some of the harder accounting exams.
    While we were studying with ATI this year a lady from CIMA came around to talk to the class about the study options with them and they did sound good too, it would be a few less exams than doing the ACCA, CPA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cats26

Hi, How are u finding ACCA? I was looking into either ACCA or an accounting and finance degree, but I think there'll be more job opportunities with ACCA. R u doing one subject at a time? I'm finding it confusing, some stuff I read says you need to do the exams in order and others are saying u can pick which one to do next? I know we get 4 exemptions with the Accounting Technician which is great!

Cats26 wrote: »
    Hi, How are u finding ACCA? I was looking into either ACCA or an accounting and finance degree, but I think there'll be more job opportunities with ACCA. R u doing one subject at a time? I'm finding it confusing, some stuff I read says you need to do the exams in order and others are saying u can pick which one to do next? I know we get 4 exemptions with the Accounting Technician which is great!

Hi, I'm finding ACCA fine so far. I'm sure the last few exams will be tough. Yes we get exempt from the first four with the ATI qualification. I actually sat the ACCA tax exam two weeks after our ATI one, I knew we didn't get an exemption for that one but there wasn't too much new stuff in it so I just did it with what we learned with ATI.

You don't necessarily have to sit the exams in order, there are three groups of exams:
    Applied knowledge - 3 exams (exemption from all of these)
    Applied skills - 6 exams (exemption from one, and I'm sitting the rest of these in any order)
    Strategic professional - 4 exams (sit these in any order)

I'm sitting two exams in September, most of the ACCA exams are now done by computer, I think it will make some of the theory ones a bit easier (hopefully).
    I'll have to see about the more calculation based ones because the tax one I sat was paper based.

I think if you know that you want to do accountancy then go straight to the professional exams (ACCA, CPA etc) because even if you do go the degree route you would still have to sit the professional exams to become an accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cats26

Wow fair play u really went right into it! I registered yesterday with ACCA so all ready to go. Can i ask where u are studying? I was looking at Griffith College initially but I think I might go with the Accountancy School, I've heard good things about the lecturers there. Also think I might just do 1 exam at a time......single mam with 3 kids & working full time don't know if I'll have the time to do 2 at a time!!

I signed up with Griffith College for these two exams (Auditing, Performance Management) and I find the lecturers very good. But I have heard very good things about the Accountancy School. I think it's great that you can switch from one College to another for each of the exams cos the lecturer really can make the difference between passing or not. I know people at work were suggesting the Accountancy School for one or two exams in particular I just can't remember which ones off the top of my head. I'll be sitting one exam each time after September it's way too hard trying to cram in the two. Lesson learned!
    Well done you getting all the study done with three kids, it's definitely not easy.
    Best of luck with your study, we'll get there eventually:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

han2000 wrote: »
    I know people at work were suggesting the Accountancy School for one or two exams in particular I just can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

I'm guessing the main recommendation for the Accountancy School is P6 Tax with Julie Hawkins, she has a great reputation through the years of being a great tax lecturer.
    Its great that there is such great choices out there for the different colleges (and all offer online & physical classroom), I'm switching between Accountancy School and Griffith College for mine due to lecture recommendations.

Best of luck han2000 & Cats26 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

Anyone going into 2nd year this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Hello everyone on this thread! Fair play to you and reading through this thread I can see that all your hard work is paying off too!

I'm looking to get into this as a career but don't have any previous experience at all! I've been looking at doing the Accounts Technician course online - how did you find it?

Can you give me any tips? I"m also wondering if you have managed to secure jobs following your ATI course? Or went on to further study?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sonya.Max

ithread wrote: »
    Hello everyone on this thread! Fair play to you and reading through this thread I can see that all your hard work is paying off too!

I'm looking to get into this as a career but don't have any previous experience at all! I've been looking at doing the Accounts Technician course online - how did you find it?

Can you give me any tips? I"m also wondering if you have managed to secure jobs following your ATI course? Or went on to further study?

Thanks in advance!

Hi! I'm currently doing ATI year 1, part time (2 nights a week) , but due to current situation it's moved to online. I found doing the course in class was very useful, since I had no experience.
    But now I'm considering doing the acca online (first 3 modules) , since it gives more opportunities. The syllabus is similar to the ati year 1so I'm considering doing it online.

I would definitely advise to look at the ACCA.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Sonya.Max wrote: »
    Hi! I'm currently doing ATI year 1, part time (2 nights a week) , but due to current situation it's moved to online. I found doing the course in class was very useful, since I had no experience.
    But now I'm considering doing the acca online (first 3 modules) , since it gives more opportunities. The syllabus is similar to the ati year 1so I'm considering doing it online.

I would definitely advise to look at the ACCA.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice. Good luck with your studies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 signoup

Hi. I'm looking to buy used ATI manuals 2nd year 2019/2020 syllabus, not in a very bad shape. Is any one interested in sell. Let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

signoup wrote: »
    Hi. I'm looking to buy used ATI manuals 2nd year 2019/2020 syllabus, not in a very bad shape. Is any one interested in sell. Let me know!

Bad idea.
    You need up to date books to reflect the current taxation year which will be 2020 for the year starting in September.
    If you buy old books, any tax amendments made in the last budget won't be accounted for and the figures (credits, bands, etc) may be out of date.

To thine own self be true

Hi, Purple Mountain.

I appreciate your concern and you are correct on your observation. The thing is my wallet is talking louder.

All I need now is to learn as up to date as possible the new ATI exam ways, about the credits, bands, etc I can apply them knowing the formulas and layouts at the exam day. Is that what I want to learn..

being 20% in a year or 21% in another when you know the formulas, how to apply them and the layouts.. you can change the credits and bands accordingly.

Do you know of anyone who can help me getting the manuals? Much appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hi, Purple Mountain.

I appreciate your concern and you are correct on your observation. The thing is my wallet is talking louder.

All I need now is to learn as up to date as possible the new ATI exam ways, about the credits, bands, etc I can apply them knowing the formulas and layouts at the exam day. Is that what I want to learn..

being 20% in a year or 21% in another when you know the formulas, how to apply them and the layouts.. you can change the credits and bands accordingly.

I don't, sorry.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

Hi, Purple Mountain.

There wasn't a huge amount of changes in the tax code in the last budget, so the bands, cut offs etc are mainly the same. Once you print off the current tax reference material from the ATI website, you should be fine. ATI don't change the online solutions of previous exam questions to take into account the current tax credits and bands anyway, so you get used to just using them as a template and using the current information.

There are plenty of books available on Adverts and Done Deal, I was going to sell mine on one of those sites, but have found a local buyer for them. Prices start at about €60 for all four compared to €60 odd each so it's a no brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Navy blue wrote: »
    There wasn't a huge amount of changes in the tax code in the last budget, so the bands, cut offs etc are mainly the same. Once you print off the current tax reference material from the ATI website, you should be fine. ATI don't change the online solutions of previous exam questions to take into account the current tax credits and bands anyway, so you get used to just using them as a template and using the current information.

There are plenty of books available on Adverts and Done Deal, I was going to sell mine on one of those sites, but have found a local buyer for them. Prices start at about €60 for all four compared to €60 odd each so it's a no brainer!

I’d agree with you. It’s only really the tax that would change. I had to repeat the financial accounting (my own fault failed it last June and had planned on sitting it last August but due to personal circumstances I couldn’t sit the exam. I went and bought the new book and honestly I never even opened it. I used the 18/19 book instead. There was no difference really. I’m not selling the book though, giving it to someone else I know starting year 2 online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Navy blue wrote: »

I’d agree with you. It’s only really the tax that would change. I had to repeat the financial accounting (my own fault failed it last June and had planned on sitting it last August but due to personal circumstances I couldn’t sit the exam. I went and bought the new book and honestly I never even opened it. I used the 18/19 book instead. There was no difference really. I’m not selling the book though, giving it to someone else I know starting year 2 online

Thanks for all the tips. Appreciated.

Navy-blue all the best. Keep the news coming, if you have time.

Advertisement