Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: I would support an Asylum Centre in my small rural town
Yes, I would support it 123 25.84%
No, I would not support it 353 74.16%
Voters: 476. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

25-11-2018, 15:00   #31
Yer Da sells Avon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammajamma View Post
I like how so many are in support of this, going from the poll, yet nobody has made a comment on why.

Surely that point of view can be logically defended?
I voted 'Yes' in the poll because I'd happily welcome the people - but only if the infrastructure was there, and if adequate temporary housing was provided for them, rather than throwing them into hotels for Christ knows how long.
Advertisement
25-11-2018, 15:03   #32
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yer Da sells Avon View Post
I voted 'Yes' in the poll because I'd happily welcome the people - but only if the infrastructure was there, and if adequate temporary housing was provided for them, rather than throwing them into hotels for Christ knows how long.
At least you are supporting your statement.

But do you not think its a bit contradictory to state support "if things were different" when in fact they very much are not different?
(2) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 15:04   #33
Richard Hillman

Quote:
I like how so many are in support of this, going from the poll, yet nobody has made a comment on why.

Surely that point of view can be logically defended?
That's easy. Migrant Centre's have been proven all over Europe to have a disastrous effect to towns and villages. What this person or persons have done, is attempt to stop the location plan through all means necessary. Some may say it's illegal, some may say that the Sentinel Islanders killing that guy was illegal. Is defending your homeland illegal? Technically, legally, probably but it's the people that are trying to replace us that are setting the laws. Was the 1916 Rising illegal? Yes. But it was the people who didn't want a rebellion and were trying to replace us that were setting the laws.

It's the great story of our time. The invasion of Europe. Are we going to be the generation that says "we wanted to defend out homeland but there were rules Against it and some people would have called us names, so we didn't bother".
25-11-2018, 15:05   #34
CinemaGuy45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3 View Post
Well the first step would be to condem an arson attack I would have thought. I think most reasonable intelligent people would condem it.

Leave the dregs of Irish society to applaud it. They’re going nowhere, except prison. Just like their parents and grandparents before them.
Filthy animals burning down the centre I will join you in condemning it these people are not reasonable or intelligent.

Now as a reasonable and intelligent person I would love to help out and I am in no doubt you feel the same.

Have you got a free bedroom in your home that you can offer it would be so helpful come on show those thugs the true Irish cade media Falta.
(3) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 15:06   #35
Yer Da sells Avon

Quote:
At least you are supporting your statement.

But do you not think its a bit contradictory to state support "if things were different" when in fact they very much are not different?
Yes/No polls are never ideal.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-11-2018, 15:07   #36
Squatter

Quote:
If the system worked correctly then Christ (or someone much less exalted) would be able to tell you that it would be only for as long as it takes to verify their claims to be asylum seekers - or otherwise.

But given the interminable appeal process that has enriched so many Irish lawyers, even Christ wouldn't have a clue.
(2) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 15:08   #37
tretorn

I believe the main interest most Irish people have in immigration is to see less of it, even Clinton has come out and said peoples fears about immigration must be listened to.

I am an Irish person and I wouldnt move to a rural town because the people living in these places are very cliquish. How on earth is someone from Nigeria or Pakistan supposed to be able to be able to cope with the weather and the isolation and where are they supposed to find work. All the children in the local schools will be related to each other and they will stick together against any outsiders, it would be the same if I transported my red haired freckly family to Nigeria, we would stick out like a sore thumb in a rural black town.

The Government are deliberately choosing these places to send a message to other people intending to seek asylum here that you wont end up in Dublin City Or Galway or Cork, you will live where the Government choose to send you and I am okay with that. Most of the people coming are not fleeing persecution, they are economic migrants and for the most part are no use to us. They will mostly have numerous children and will be relying on handouts and taking houses that young Irish working class people need. I would prefer they were housed in a facility near Dublin airport, their claims decided quickly and if declined they be put on the first plane back to wherever they came from. Lawyers on FRee legal aid wont like this efficiency, they and the numerous NGOs are making a nice living on what is absurd nonsense and its time for our elected representatives to pull the plug.

If any candidate puts themselves forwards on a platform for dealing with immigrants and asylum seekers they will get triple Peter Caseys vote, its long past time someone dealt with this issue.
25-11-2018, 15:08   #38
mammajamma

Quote:
Yes/No polls are never ideal.
True, but in this case its fairly appropriate (or as close as youre going to get).

Its based on very current events, with a history of similarity in other small towns. I think its fair to be able to state support or not as things stand.
Thanks from:
25-11-2018, 15:08   #39
Odhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hillman View Post
That's easy. Migrant Centre's have been proven all over Europe to have a disastrous effect to towns and villages. What this person or persons have done, is attempt to stop the location plan through all means necessary. Some may say it's illegal, some may say that the Sentinel Islanders killing that guy was illegal. Is defending your homeland illegal? Technically, legally, probably but it's the people that are trying to replace us that are setting the laws. Was the 1916 Rising illegal? Yes. But it was the people who didn't want a rebellion and were trying to replace us that were setting the laws.

It's the great story of our time. The invasion of Europe. Are we going to be the generation that says "we wanted to defend out homeland but there were rules Against it and some people would have called us names, so we didn't bother".

totally overblown guff.
Advertisement
25-11-2018, 15:12   #40
tretorn

Any asylum seekers sent to Donegal wouldnt be able to go through the North to get to Dublin, they would have to travel via Sligo.

The Reception and Integration Agency said this wouldnt be a problem, they would provide comfort stops and hotel overnight stays for refugees needing to go to Dublin, how much would this cost the taxpayer. Nice little hotel stops for economic migrants who shouldnt be in this country anyway.
25-11-2018, 15:12   #41
Richard Hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleerbun View Post
Not trying to be funny, but is there some war or something going on in Nigeria that I'm not aware of? What makes Nigerians refugees? And if there is a genuine reason I'm not aware of, are there not dozens of surrounding countries that are perfectly viable alternatives for them?? Africa is an utterly enormous continent and Europe just doesn't have enough room to accommodate them all of them. I don't see any good argument for them coming all the way here tbh
The North of the Nigeria yes. The South of Nigeria is as safe as it gets for Nigerian standards.
Thanks from:
25-11-2018, 15:12   #42
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by tretorn View Post
I believe the main interest most Irish people have in immigration is to see less of it, even Clinton has come out and said peoples fears about immigration must be listened to.

I am an Irish person and I wouldnt move to a rural town because the people living in these places are very cliquish. How on earth is someone from Nigeria or Pakistan supposed to be able to be able to cope with the weather and the isolation and where are they supposed to find work. All the children in the local schools will be related to each other and they will stick together against any outsiders, it would be the same if I transported my red haired freckly family to Nigeria, we would stick out like a sore thumb in a rural black town.

The Government are deliberately choosing these places to send a message to other people intending to seek asylum here that you wont end up in Dublin City Or Galway or Cork, you will live where the Government choose to send you and I am okay with that. Most of the people coming are not fleeing persecution, they are economic migrants and for the most part are no use to us. They will mostly have numerous children and will be relying on handouts and taking houses that young Irish working class people need. I would prefer they were housed in a facility near Dublin airport, their claims decided quickly and if declined they be put on the first plane back to wherever they came from. Lawyers on FRee legal aid wont like this efficiency, they and the numerous NGOs are making a nice living on what is absurd nonsense and its time for our elected representatives to pull the plug.

If any candidate puts themselves forwards on a platform for dealing with immigrants and asylum seekers they will get triple Peter Caseys vote, its long past time someone dealt with this issue.
I can agree with a lot there, not everything.

However, about sending a message, I doubt someone from Nigeria has the first clue about the differences between Sligo verus Wicklow, for example.

Would you know the difference between Taraba and Matsina in Nigeria? All you'll care about is "im getting to Nigeria, and that's what I want"
25-11-2018, 15:17   #43
Arghus

Hot take central in here.
25-11-2018, 15:19   #44
CinemaGuy45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odhinn View Post
totally overblown guff.

(2) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 15:28   #45
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by tretorn View Post
The influential people mostly live in Dublin, especially the nicer parts so they will effectively block anything that impacts on their house prices.

Also any hotel in a nice area that isnt making much money can be redeveloped as housing if zoning allows. The Tara Tower hotel on the Rock Road in Blackrock
Dublin seems to be boarded up and I have heard apartment blocks will be built on the site. It would have been ideal for a small halting site or a direct provision centre but this site faces the seafront so expensive homes will be built for wealthy downsizers.

If we dont want hundreds and thousands of asylum seekers coming we have to make sure that we house them where other people mostly dont want to live, ie rural isolated areas with no services and no broadband and **** all to do from September till May. This means these people will either go back to where they came from or else make their way to another European country to try out their chances there. You can bet your life most of the refugees are male and young and they werent going to hang around Moville for too long anyway.
I see where youre coming from, but I cant totally agree.

An equivalent would be trying to get rid of a beggar by overloading them with money, in the hopes that they'll stop asking for more money because their pockets will be too full. If that were the governments plan, its a whopper

But sending these people to the least capable areas and least represented areas where they will have the greatest impact, that's just sneaky. Theres no better word for it.
Thread Closed