Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punchestown festival 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

I lumped into The Priests Leap anti-post for the Stayers Hurdle before his race in Clonmel in early March. Won that at a canter at 2/7 under very soft to pure muck conditions.

Based on that performance he's certainly a stayer, and still available at 2/1. I don't really know if the change in conditions will impact him, but up against a very competitive field. Was with A Moore, but now with G Cromwell (no offence to Moore, but Cromwell is different gravy).

My head is telling me to lay off some of the bet, but I've decided he's going to romp home.

beg your pardon

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

I was thinking the festival was starting tomorrow rather than today so it’s really crept up. Monkfish and Envoi is mouthwatering and there’ll be great races to watch. Looking forward to seeing Sir Gerhard and Kilcruit lock horns again also. Battle between Paul and Rachael for top jockey adds another layer - hopefully will be another really good festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Would be shocked if Rachel won, Ruby walsh was saying she'll need at least 8 winners as Townend will get minimum 3(think he's being extremely cautious here, after all this is Mullins main festival).

Patrick and Jamie codd also level, Ruby said if/when Paul has his in the bag that he'll allow Patrick better rides later in the week so Patrick should win his. I see he chose to ride Sir Gerhard so thats enough for me to pick him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Backed Nube Negra yesterday evening at just less than 6/1.

Won’t have a bet in Monkfish v Envoi. A race to watch and enjoy and hopefully both stay up and finish out the race.

Great Bear 9/1 and Master McShee 16/1 are my 2 for the handicap hurdles.

No bet in the G1 novice hurdle. Or the 2 bumpers and the Perpetual cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

What a days racing ahead, having a few bets for small stakes.

Punchestown 3.40

Djasek and Scholastic singles and r/f/c. Very competitive race but both of these caught my eye last time and both will be well suited to a big field and likely strong gallop.

Djasek last time he ran over hurdles was given no chance held up behind an easy front running winner who went on to win on the flat since and Djasek himself ran well on the flat in a race since to finish 3rd despite running on too late. I get the impression he will like the better ground and Carberry will put him to sleep out the back and arrive there swinging.

Scholastic is another that will travel away lovely. Eyecatching in a few graded juvenile races on soft prior to going over to Cheltenhams April meeting into a juvenile handicap on nice ground where she travelled powerfully.
    JJ had a decision to make and went to the lead before the last as was travelling so well. In hindsight id say he wouldve held on longer and will arrive late today. Plenty more to come from this girl.

I could make a case for 10 but have settled on Champagne Gold. All season looked to be a prep for the County hurdle for this boy where he went off 6/1. Emptied as if something was amiss that day but nothing i could find in the stewards report. I'm taking the opinion he just had an off day and were getting well compensated with the price.

Nube Negra is an insulting price, watch back his 2 runs this season,1st at Kempton and then the Champion Chase and how powerfully he travelled and how quick he jumps. Beat Chacun Pour Soi and should be a fresher horse than CPS also, CPS might be a better horse in Ireland but cant really understand the price difference.
    Allaho was magnificent at Cheltenham over further and i think he could well be real good over this trip too but fact is he has never run over 2mile over jumps so to get put in here is a fair ask and though that Ryanair was a monster performance it may have emptied him and at the prices i couldnt back him.
    Jockey on NN would be a concern for me if it comes to that to separate the horses but to be honest i don't think he'll have to do anything spectacular. If this horse was coming over with Nicky Hendersons name beside him he wouldnt be any bigger than 3/1 in my opinion.

The Novice chase should be a cracker too. I will likely sit back and enjoy but if Envoi goes out to 6/4 i might not be able to resist a little bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭gazza1

4.50 Jessie Evans
    Form of last run well and truly franked by the first 2 home that day. Won twice on good ground last year so no issue with the ground.
    Only bet today
    Can't wait to see Monkfish v Envoi Allen hopefully they both run to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

nube negra being completely forgotten about here.

chacun hype train still hasnt been de-railed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cerberus in the 4.50 at 20s with 5 places looks a shout for me. Probably my only bet today.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭FiftyP

3.40 Hallowed Star 13/2. I think the ground and speed of the race will suit it if it gets into the lead.

4.50 Jazzaway 9/1 ew. Back from a break. Ground should suit. A second where beaten by Mrs Milner by half a length shows a lot of promise.

7.00 Precious Bounty 66/1 ew. Second of my horses coming back from a break. This is a bet on whether it gets around. If it does then some of its P2Ps show it has some ability. I don't think any of the middling horses do great here, and the favourites are no guaranteed thing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Chacun on a right handed course on home ground is odds against? Up against Allaho who is totally unproven over 2m and a Skelton horse in a grade 1.

Lump job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Chacun on a right handed course on home ground is odds against? Up against Allaho who is totally unproven over 2m and a Skelton horse in a grade 1.

Lump job

I don't think you can blame the left-handed course at Cheltenham for his bad run as most of his big successes have been at Leopardstown which is also left. He had no excuses in Cheltenham he was perfectly positioned coming to the last and had nothing left in the tank. That said one bad run doesn't make him a bad horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Light Brigade in the first but have missed the decent prices. Also Hallowed Star EW.
    Backed Jazzaway and Arcadian Sunrise in the 4.50 EW.
    Muggy treble of Echoes in Rain , Chacun Pour Soi and Monkfish 8/1 PP.
    EW on Hurrican Dream in the 5.55.
    Vital Island with Codd on board surely worth a shout EW in a poor enough race.

I wasn't blaming the left handed course but CPS is 2/2 going right handed plus a C&D winner up against Allaho who is 0/2 going right handed and has never ran at the distance and Nube Negra who has never won a grade 1.

Think the price is massive personally and this is coming from someone who's never backed Chacun before and Allaho is one of my cliff horses

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Milanative

the way they finished in a bunch in the champion chase makes me believe they didnt go hard enough , hopefully townend really pours it on through the race

Lump job

Unusual criteria for a lump job.
    Horse A(Nube Negra) beats horse B (Chacun pour soi). Horse A having his 3rd run of the season today. Horse B having his 5th run of the season despite never previously having ran more than 3 times and looked tired last time.
    Despite all this horse B is the shorter of the 2.
    And you think Horse B is one for a lump job bet? :confused:

Milanative wrote: »
    the way they finished in a bunch in the champion chase makes me believe they didnt go hard enough , hopefully townend really pours it on through the race

They probably didnt go fast enough. That tends to suit horses that were up with the pace. CPS was up with the pace Nube wasnt but still beat him:)

They probably didnt go fast enough. That tends to suit horses that were up with the pace. CPS was up with the pace Nube wasnt but still beat him:)
    cps doesnt have a turn of foot like altior does, hes similar albeit not as good as sprinter in that he should be let gallop them into the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

cps doesnt have a turn of foot like altior does, hes similar albeit not as good as sprinter in that he should be let gallop them into the ground

Sprinter was a different sport entirely than CPS. Im going to commit heresy and think it'll be an uk 1-2 . First flow should be better on right handed, he got very close for a horse than couldn't jump or run at all in the Champion. Its a fun race though

Chacun pour soi has his chance for sure. Just cant understand how anyone could claim hes a lump job at the price. Maybe people like to say lump job for the cod of it :confused:.

For me a lump job would be one I'd be looking at and thinking there are basically no question marks and the horse is value. An example would be Thistlecrack a few years back in the world hurdle. Had beaten all his rivals in the lead up to that yet he was available at something like 7/4 when realistically he shouldve been odds on.

A horse beaten by one of todays opposition(who is also lighter races and open to more improvement) and a field that includes some other dangerous horses such as Allaho who was excellent last time isnt an exciting breathing ground for a lump job for me personally.
    To each their own though.

Sprinter was a different sport entirely than CPS. Im going to commit heresy and think it'll be an uk 1-2 . First flow should be better on right handed, he got very close for a horse than couldn't jump or run at all in the Champion. Its a fun race though

Should be a brilliant race. Heres hoping they all come back safe and sound :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭FiftyP

FiftyP wrote: »
    3.40 Hallowed Star 13/2. I think the ground and speed of the race will suit it if it gets into the lead.

4.50 Jazzaway 9/1 ew. Back from a break. Ground should suit. A second where beaten by Mrs Milner by half a length shows a lot of promise.

7.00 Precious Bounty 66/1 ew. Second of my horses coming back from a break. This is a bet on whether it gets around. If it does then some of its P2Ps show it has some ability. I don't think any of the middling horses do great here, and the favourites are no guaranteed thing either.

Put an ew triple on this for 25p.

Edit: Put 50p on Colreevy at 15/2 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Only one bet for me, Jazzaway in the 4:50, waiting for it since Mrs Milner won the Pertemps

Lump job

haha you are making it out that a skelton horse in a grade 1 is funny or something?

shouldnt be even mentioning Chacun in the same sentence as sprinter sacre

akelly02 wrote: »
    shouldnt be even mentioning Chacun in the same sentence as sprinter sacre
    sprinter and chacun are gallopers and thats the comparison im making

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

that 16:50 race is a bookie's dream. I have heard a half dozen dead certs for it so far with tips coming thick and fast. I have 3 bets on it now and know if I cash any of them out they will win!

How would that suit him considering he didnt stay the last time

How would that suit him considering he didnt stay the last time
    what are you talking about didn't stay ? he was beaten 1 1/2 lengths

what are you talking about didn't stay ? he was beaten 1 1/2 lengths

beaten after hitting the front 2 out and faded up the hill!

• Advertisement

haha you are making it out that a skelton horse in a grade 1 is funny or something?

A great man for a handicap but I wouldn't trust a Skelton horse to win a hot grade 1 if he had the only runner in it.

Settling myself up for a fall here...

Advertisement