Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punchestown festival 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Could well be. Not to say anything wrong with De Bromhead but horse mightve just liked his specific set up there.

That's what I'm thinking. I feel Cheveley Park moved a bit too fast to take their horses out after the infamous photo story broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Alot of support for Isotope in 15.40 tomorrow.

22s from 33s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭piplip87

Jaysus the way people myself included where talking about Envoi, we thought he was the second coming of Arkle..... Now we have seen the light he is the second coming of Samcro

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Envoi lame after the race today according to stewards report

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Punchestown is a proper shambles when you looks at the amount of decent races. Wednesday is laughable for a supposed top class meeting
    Its a benefit for willie , nothing more.
    This is what a super league looks like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Frozen Veg wrote: »

22s from 33s.

Aidan was tipping him @ 33s earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Anyone watch the Cross Country?

3 horses slipped on the flat in different spots 2 unseated and the favourite who slipped fell horribly soon after a slip.

It was a very odd race.

One of the horses that slipped was a 16 year old!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Shaney Boy

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Its a benefit for willie , nothing more.
    This is what a super league looks like.

Never like this meeting as it's too late for starters. It has turned into a Willie benefit and I'm not sure it's the best use of taxpayers money where one trainer takes a disproportionate amount of the prize money. The handicaps are impossible to work out with form meaningless. Some of the Grade 1s are in name only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

akelly02 wrote: »
    shouldnt be even mentioning Chacun in the same sentence as sprinter sacre

Hey kelly hows the misses ??
    When ya coming back to us??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

Going to chance CROSSHILL ew in the 5.20 currently 14/1. Interesting that Robbie Power is on him rather than Gentlemansgame.
    Ran really well on his first start over 3m when 2nd in a Grade B at the National meeting.
    Previously beat Vanillier by 11L at this track over 20f.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

gazza1 wrote: »
    Going to chance CROSSHILL ew in the 5.20 currently 14/1. Interesting that Robbie Power is on him rather than Gentlemansgame.
    Ran really well on his first start over 3m when 2nd in a Grade B at the National meeting.
    Previously beat Vanillier by 11L at this track over 20f.

Isn't Puppy Jessie's stable jockey

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Milanative

Shaney Boy wrote: »
    Never like this meeting as it's too late for starters. It has turned into a Willie benefit and I'm not sure it's the best use of taxpayers money where one trainer takes a disproportionate amount of the prize money. The handicaps are impossible to work out with form meaningless. Some of the Grade 1s are in name only.

you could find the form for every winner today if you'd bother your hole looking

Shaney Boy wrote: »

Would you rather there was no meet at all and we had a few grade 6's in Dundalk to look forward to instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Rothwell had a nice touch in the second last race this evening. Was a massive price last night and finished up 14s. Not often they land a nice touch like that.

Gentlemansgame looks big to me at 9s today in the 3m novice hurdle. Was a little bit disappointing last time dropped back in trip but the run before that behind Gallard Du Mesnil with Vanillier and Stattler in behind suggested that 3M would be ideal for him.

Also have backed Kemboy, Black Op, Blue Sari and a Kilcruit/Grangee double.

Dunno why people are complaining looks a dceent days racing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Anyone that is complaining about Punchestown just hasn't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Think I’ll give these a go for day two. It will be fascinating to see Kilcruit and Sir Gerhard again - there’s a big case to be made for Kilcruit to reverse the form with the way the Cheltenham race played out, but I think a similar case could be made that Sir Gerhard could prove to be the better horse even if race played out differently and I’m going to stick with him. Willie seemed to be very happy with Al Boum in interview yesterday.

3:40 - Fortune Street 11/1 e/w
    4:15 - Gelee Blanche 12/1 e/w
    4:50 - Decimation 9/4
    5:20 - Crosshill 14/1 e/w
    5:55 - Al Boum Photo 6/4
    6:30 - Sir Gerhard 11/10
    7:35 - Grangee 11/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Had an essay typed out for each of these particularly Thatsy and Falak and laptop deleted them so heres the shortened Versions.

Falak: 4th in this in 2019, 2 wins recently in Dundalk,first run over hurdles since joining this trainer 18 months ago, English based Conditional over for 1 ride.

Gentlemans game: should settle better with Vanillier in the race and excuse last time of having been off 2 months. could be well overpriced.

Thatsy(as well as Black ops i backed when someone posted last night)
    Has looked disappointing over fences but has been running over too short with his best form over hurdles at around 2mile4 and likely more to come over even further given he won a p2p as a 4yo.
    When he ran over the furthest distance yet over fences it was 2 mile 3 1/2 and he was beaten 30 lengths to a mare, losing a few lengths getting hampered by a faller.
    Looked a bad result on paper, winner was Colreevy and the horse that took 3rd off thatsy after that bit of hampering was the Big Dog who has since won off 136 and now rated 145. Thatsy is 129 back at the course of that run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

Also chancing BAY HILL in the opener. Was 3rd in this race 2yrs ago and returns to hurdles on a 9lb lower mark than his chase rating.
    25/1 ew 6 places

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

naughto wrote: »
    Hey kelly hows the misses ??
    When ya coming back to us??

shes grand , thanks buck. i showed her a picture of Roger and she says he doesnt look too 'riveting' . i wouldnt mind only shes a former dub herself.

i deleted the app , but if ye miss me that much ill get it back going :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

Frozen Veg wrote: »

22s from 33s.

Now 16s PP and 11s Boyles

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭FiftyP

Punchestown Day 2
    3.40 Flash De Touzaine 66/1 ew 5 places
    I think this horse might find its feet on a shorter course on faster ground. Its wins have come from near to three miles on drier ground, and slower ground has brought it back a little. This seems to me (by my own weird logic) that the shorter trip can make it once it keeps up the pace. Interest isn’t a question, nor is the ability to see out a race, but if its in the reckoning at the end it’s in with a chance. I don’t think it’s more likely than some of the 6/1 7/1 shots, but at 66/1 to place is a good gamble.

4.15 Stranger Danger 14/1 ew 3 places
    A decent win on yielding ground over a similar distance, and two seconds at shorter distances on heavier ground. I think who it’s beaten in its win shows up a few running in this, and it’s not too huge of a leap to go further. The other I like in this is another GE horse, Gevrey, where it’s Jack Kennedy taking on Jordan Gainford on Stranger Danger. You’d wonder about who picked what, and
    what claims will have to say in a race like this.

I liked Iberia at long odds in this but they’ve been withdrawn due to a temperature. I don’t particularly like anything else to either upset, stand out, or run above its odds.

5.20 Telmesomthinggirl 13/2
    I can’t see Galopin Des Champs stepping up to beat Vanillier, not with no form over 3m, and only one race at 2m4f. 2M on heavy ground hasn’t been the most impressive either, but Telmesomethinggirl has managed both fast ground at 2m4f and slower ground, as well as a only a few lengths to Heaven Help Us on s/h ground at 2m2. It’s theoretically the bigger step up for Telmesomethinggirl, but the mares allowance and solid wins in lesser races at 2m4f at least allows for improvement.

Midnight Maestro 25/1
    I don’t know why it’s drifted overnight, but its PU was in a longer race, it’s two wins on decent ground at similar distances, and it fell when right in contention (falling at the last is a sign of a tired horse for me, but it has won two other races.) I think this horse has a lot more to take from this race than many of the others, drift aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Rightplacerighttime has caught my eye in this one. Ground has to be taken a bit on trust but go back 9 months and he has some decent looking form lines tied in with the bosses oscar and flooring porter. Was punted a bit at leopardstwon over christmas before being pulled up. 40/1 5 places

No strong opinion here have took a chance on surprise package in the hope better ground may bring improvement and has been nibbled at overnight. 14/1

No bet. Blue sari probably wins but couldnt be backing him at the price.

Stattler the one for me here had quite a hard race at the drf which could explain why he wasnt firing on all cylinders at Cheltenham. Trust willie to have him back right again for today 2 in the betting ahead of him have it to prove at the trip and vanillier looked to benefit from being a bit fresher with an ideal run race at Cheltenham. 15/2

Al boum is the class horse for obvious reasons but I'm willing to take him on. Clan des obeaux is a tough one to pass over and should be bang there but I'm going with kemboy. Didnt have as hard a race in the gold cup as al boum and skipped aintree unlike cdo and fakir. Comes with risks attached but I think on the ground it could pay to be up with the pace here and has previous in the race. 4/1

Patrick jumping onto sir gerhard has to be a clue doesn't it? Looks the quicker of the 2 and kilcruit may need further. Taking a bit of the 5s on sir gerhard for the supreme as a good performance today will surely see him shorten. 11/10

My blind dart landed on snow falcon bits and Bobs of form tied in with decent horses first run on decent ground for quite a while. 22/1

Leaving the last race alone

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

clevtrev wrote: »
    Aidan was tipping him @ 33s earlier

Into 12s.

My only bet of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭FiftyP

I have to say, at 3pm on Day 2 of Punchestown there's very little Ruaille Buaille. Maybe you're all working diligently to be able to sit at a bus stop with phones out by 3.30pm but I have been awake all night, on the beers since midday, and updating my spreadsheets for money bet (pub bets, Grand Nadtional OPs and accas don't count) with a potential new spreadsheet coming after May 1st, so I can wipe my debt clean and start with a new leaf for a new season. I just don't know what details/stats to include in my new spreadsheet. That'll be for Sunday.
    FiftyP wrote: »
    Punchestown Day 2
    3.40 Flash De Touzaine 66/1 ew 5 places
    4.15 Stranger Danger 14/1 ew 3 places
    5.20 Telmesomthinggirl 13/2
    Midnight Maestro 25/1

Stupid bets, just because I can get better odds at some point.

4.50 Lifetime Ambition 9/1 ew 3 places
    5.55 Fakir D'Oudairies 6/1

Have PP stopped doing the best odds guaranteed? Backed Fortune Street (put in earlier post) last night at 11/1 - drifted out to 25s but I only got paid out on the 11s for the place. Ah well. He ran well despite the drift anyway, and if not for mistake at the last, could have gone even closer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Think they are on the morning of the race. 365 are still the night before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Ghepardo is well handicapped on turf and should come on for its recent reappearance at Bath. Is a course and distance winner and the race doesn't have much depth. Third at Brighton this evening is worth a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

A statue of Sizing john at punchestown? Did I hear that right??

• Advertisement

Great race - fair play to Nicholls and Clan.

Advertisement