Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: Late Debate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Just heard a promo - back next Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Great news. The RTE info people had said they did not know when it would be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Does anybody know when the Late Debate is likely to be back on the programme schedule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Late debate use to be on radio 1 tuesday to thursday 10pm to 11pm with different presenters but mostly Katie Hannon. Just dissappeared. Anyone know why or if it coming back?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

yogalady wrote: »
    Late debate use to be on radio 1 tuesday to thursday 10pm to 11pm with different presenters but mostly Katie Hannon. Just dissappeared. Anyone know why or if it coming back?
    Thanks
    A previous thread on this indicated that the decision is Covid related as intended guests could not be facilitated in studio. I guess the fireworks would not work on a remote link basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

It's a lame excuse to be honest.
    Other shows seem to manage with guests in studio and in other studios/locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

It's a lame excuse to be honest.
    Other shows seem to manage with guests in studio and in other studios/locations.
    Off air while level 5 applies, according to a post from 8 Jan on their Twitter page. Lazy

Late Debate was a great place for journalists to cut their teeth in tough political interviews. It produced Cormac O hEadhra, Audrey Carville, and Claire Byrne. Katie Hannon, too, had been more of an investigative reporter before she got the last gig.

For some unknown reason, RTE tried to fix something that wasnt broken, and put three rotating hosts in the slot. It sort of lost personality and fizzled out, even unrelated to covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Late Debate was a great place for journalists to cut their teeth in tough political interviews. It produced Cormac O hEadhra, Audrey Carville, and Claire Byrne. Katie Hannon, too, had been more of an investigative reporter before she got the last gig.

For some unknown reason, RTE tried to fix something that wasnt broken, and put three rotating hosts in the slot. It sort of lost personality and fizzled out, even unrelated to covid.
    It was Katie Hannon, Sarah McInerney and Fionnuala Sweeney one night a week for a short while. Katie presenting on her own when they knocked it on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I used to like it when Vincent Browne was on the radio about 11ish. Maybe a forerunner to Late Debate I don't know.
    I just find Katy Hannon so, so dull and dreary. Always on about local, domestic politics. Very little, as I recall, international stuff. A studio full of TDs from down the country. Her flat accent puts me off also. Browne was argumentative and I liked that about him.

Late Debate will return this Tuesday at 10pm, according to Katie Hannon, just now. I assume she will be presenting.

Dáil Éireann rises for the summer in a few weeks, so it won't be back for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭AJB39

Late Debate will return this Tuesday at 10pm, according to Katie Hannon, just now. I assume she will be presenting.

Dáil Éireann rises for the summer in a few weeks, so it won't be back for long.

The Dail doesn’t rise for the Summer until mid July so The Late Debate will be back on for a while unless Covid restrictions are reimposed again. Last year it ran until the end of June.

AJB39 wrote: »
    The Dail doesn’t rise for the Summer until mid July so The Late Debate will be back on for a while unless Covid restrictions are reimposed again. Last year it ran until the end of June.

Oh, you're right. I see the Oireachtas is going to run until the 14th of July this year — the day of the Bastille. How ominous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

You'd wonder why not Mondays.

bobbyss wrote: »
    You'd wonder why not Mondays.

No Dáil on a Monday or Friday, which also means a shortage of TDs in Dublin.

• Advertisement

On the panel:

Dara Calleary, FF;
    Mairead Farrell, SF;
    Cian O'Callaghan, SD;
    Hugh O'Connell, Independent wing of Newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭RINO87

Far to much waffle on the classic rock hour this evening....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Who let Fergus O’OBrien on a show like this.

Getting eaten up by Katie Nooze and a few Trotters.

Useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just listened to last night's show. Would drive you demented. The Fine Gael td kept agreeing that everything that was suggested by everyone else would make sense for housing, forgetting that his party has been in power for 10 years and hasn't done anything yet.

Then they moved onto covid, and Thomas Pringle was giving out that Donegal was being singled out for its covid response, even though it's statistically far worse than the rest of country. He also said he didn't care if other people were vaccinated once he was, ignoring the whole idea of suppressing variants and achieving herd immunity. Bríd Smith cheering him on the whole time.

dulpit wrote: »
    Just listened to last night's show. Would drive you demented. The Fine Gael td kept agreeing that everything that was suggested by everyone else would make sense for housing, forgetting that his party has been in power for 10 years and hasn't done anything yet.

Then they moved onto covid, and Thomas Pringle was giving out that Donegal was being singled out for its covid response, even though it's statistically far worse than the rest of country. He also said he didn't care if other people were vaccinated once he was, ignoring the whole idea of suppressing variants and achieving herd immunity. Bríd Smith cheering him on the whole time.

Why wouldn’t she…… got nearly 5k votes to elect her the last time off them.

I turned off before the Covid segment as it was a complete shambles, with Hannon letting the lefties just keep talking ….. shambles.

Just my observation…. This tag team set up makes for useless radio.

You have the presenter piling on instead of moderating, you have the ‘opposition’
    just talking incessantly , interrupting, the establishment guest trying to get a word in , everyone roaring and shouting .

Best to balance the ‘panel’ better, better let the presenter moderate, and I feel we would have a better product, and the ‘big dogs’ of politics would take part, because they avoid the current format like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Why wouldn’t she…… got nearly 5k votes to elect her the last time off them.

I turned off before the Covid segment as it was a complete shambles, with Hannon letting the lefties just keep talking ….. shambles.

Just my observation…. This tag team set up makes for useless radio.

You have the presenter piling on instead of moderating, you have the ‘opposition’
    just talking incessantly , interrupting, the establishment guest trying to get a word in , everyone roaring and shouting .

Best to balance the ‘panel’ better, better let the presenter moderate, and I feel we would have a better product, and the ‘big dogs’ of politics would take part, because they avoid the current format like the plague.

On the ball there.
    Somehow the lefties generally are allowed to talk a lot more than others; would be interesting if someone put a stopwatch on them.
    Fergus O Dowd is a total waste of space as a FG contributor.

Good loser wrote: »
    On the ball there.
    Somehow the lefties generally are allowed to talk a lot more than others; would be interesting if someone put a stopwatch on them.
    Fergus O Dowd is a total waste of space as a FG contributor.

Yes…you are correct.

Fergus O ‘Dowd….. I called him O’Brien earlier….waste of space.

When the Shinner dude came under pressure on the Abú issue, Katie was strangely silent.

No piling on like she always does when other parties are under pressure..

Says a lot..

He was slippery wasn't he? When under pressure, speak faster and double back seems to be the modus.

He was slippery wasn't he? When under pressure, speak faster and double back seems to be the modus.

The classic tactics of Ms Louise O’Reilly…who can speak without breathing. :D

Kieran O'Donnell, FG
    Verona Murphy, Ind.
    Duncan Smith, Lab.
    Gráinne Ní Aodha, journalist

This kinda line-up is of very doubtful utility, and goes back to something people were talking about on the Saturday RTE thread: more party politics, and very little policy discussion on what is what is apparently this Government's main priority.

When Vincent Browne was running this programme, he used to bring in experts. Even philosophers, on some topics. I remember one programme with a panel comprised only of architects. This time-slot is perfect for that kinda niche interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Ciarán O'Donnell, FG
    Verona Murphy, Ind.
    Duncan Smith, Lab.
    Gráinne Ní Aodha, journalist

This kinda line-up is of very doubtful utility, and goes back to something posters were talking about on the Saturday RTE thread on the weekend: more party politics, and very little policy discussion on what is what is apparently this Government's main priority.

When Vincent Browne was running this programme, he used to bring in experts. Even philosophers, on some topics. This time-slot is perfect for that kinda niche interest.

This will be a timid affair I fear

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Verona Murphy has sympathy for Darragh O Brien? With friends like her he doesn't require enemies.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    This will be a timid affair I fear
    Timid is grand, if it produces information. We're just getting a history lesson in what Labour did, or didn't do, in Government recently.

Most of us are not members of political parties, and probably aren't interested in blame as a way of governing. It would be nice to listen to a calm, informative discussion on such a complex topic *edit* from people who know something about the topic.

Timid is grand, if it produces information. We're just getting a history lesson in what Labour did, or didn't do, in Government recently.

Most of us are not members of political parties, and probably aren't interested in blame as a way of governing. It would be nice to listen to a calm, informative discussion on such a complex topic *edit* from people who know something about the topic.

Alan Kelly extremely Quite today regarding this absurd legislation on housing /stamp duty today, his silence spoke volumes.

• Advertisement

Beggar's belief this, The state can borrow whatever is required at near zero rates of interest.

The maynooth debacle really brought home the farce of what is going on.

400k paid for each dwelling, let's assume fund had 10% stamp duty, now each dwelling €440k

An interesting report earlier showed all these funds have to do is increase rent yeild by €170 per month per house to get roughly €1850 per month to maintain their return. Families already paying similar amounts and more. Net result is Higher rents, Higher subsidy (HAP) and notwithstanding the funds undoubtedly finding a way to avoid or off set the 10% stamp duty, nothing will be actually achieved and less of a chance of home ownership for citizens . Its astonishing it took 3 government political parties to come up with this absurdity.

Fascinating, any of these guests see today's numbers (503) and could be higher as reporting affected by the cyber attack. Our Population near 5 million, UK near 60 million, they had approx 2600 cases, do the maths folks

Good points there,however what always puzzles me is how do you know ‘who actually knows about anything’.

There are numerous housing ‘experts’ about the place, Lorcan Sirr for example, economists like Mc Williams etc who can talk for hours on the subject.

Who knows if they are right or wrong.

Even Darragh O’Brien in opposition ‘seemed’ to have all the answers, on the radio day and night , yet when given the job seems to be floundering.

As did everyone else who had the job.

For me the only answer seems to be an all party top level group to tackle the issue, and cut through the web of blockages which cause the problem.

Crude and simplistic yes, but otherwise we will stil be arguing in 2031, in my opinion.

Dare I say Neale Richmond quite impressive, never thought I'd say that about anyone in FG

Dare I say Neale Richmond quite impressive, never thought I'd say that about anyone in FG

Do you not find Paschal Donohue impressive? I can't remember a better M o F.

Good points there,however what always puzzles me is how do you know ‘who actually knows about anything’.

There are numerous housing ‘experts’ about the place, Lorcan Sirr for example, economists like Mc Williams etc who can talk for hours on the subject.

Who knows if they are right or wrong.

Even Darragh O’Brien in opposition ‘seemed’ to have all the answers, on the radio day and night , yet when given the job seems to be floundering.

As did everyone else who had the job.

For me the only answer seems to be an all party top level group to tackle the issue, and cut through the web of blockages which cause the problem.

Crude and simplistic yes, but otherwise we will stil be arguing in 2031, in my opinion.

Your proposal is 'crude and simplistic' as you suggest - and would make zero difference.
    Seems to me one individual contributor on this issue appears to be the media darling and effectively makes a dog's dinner of every debate he's involved in.
    Eoin O Broin. When he stops talking' does anybody listening have the slightest clue what he has just said? I don't. If my life depended on it I could barely repeat 10% of his content.

Your proposal is 'crude and simplistic' as you suggest - and would make zero difference.
    Seems to me one individual contributor on this issue appears to be the media darling and effectively makes a dog's dinner of every debate he's involved in.
    Eoin O Broin. When he stops talking' does anybody listening have the slightest clue what he has just said? I don't. If my life depended on it I could barely repeat 10% of his content.

Yep, correct and right.

So we are bunched, is that what you are saying?

Do you not find Paschal Donohue impressive? I can't remember a better M o F.

Now that's pushing it, Stop!

Pascal is likeable in fairness but seriously difficult to take him seriously :)

Katie's show got a positive review in the Irish Times yesterday and I have to say deserved. There are some who seem to over analyse her presenting /moderation skills. I think it's a difficult format, it's time slot difficult to fill with guests and it's limited time for detailed debate a challenge but given all this, Katie does an excellent job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Katie's show got a positive review in the Irish Times yesterday and I have to say deserved. There are some who seem to over analyse her presenting /moderation skills. I think it's a difficult format, it's time slot difficult to fill with guests and it's limited time for detailed debate a challenge but given all this, Katie does an excellent job.
    I think Katie does a very good job here too.

Let's compare her to two other occupants of the slot - Cormac O hEadhra and Vincent Browne. Cormac used to stir the pot to such an extent that all the contributors ended up shouting over one another and Cormac lost control.

Vincent Browne was good but was, by all accounts, a "difficult" person to work with, and certainly on his television programme, he seemed to have a few peatas who he treated very easily compared to others.

To me, Katie has the right approach in asking difficult questions in a way that a) we can hear the answers and b) some information is conveyed. Shouting and roaring in a radio studio makes for a poor listening experience.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »

Let's compare her to two other occupants of the slot - Cormac O hEadhra and Vincent Browne. Cormac used to stir the pot to such an extent that all the contributors ended up shouting over one another and Cormac lost control.

Vincent Browne was good but was, by all accounts, a "difficult" person to work with, and certainly on his television programme, he seemed to have a few peatas who he treated very easily compared to others.

To me, Katie has the right approach in asking difficult questions in a way that a) we can hear the answers and b) some information is conveyed. Shouting and roaring in a radio studio makes for a poor listening experience.

Hmmm……:confused:

On the first point: with the height of respect, so what? Browne apparently was a little intimidating to his staff, back when that kind of thing was allowed. Ok.

The listener needn't worry himself with speculation as to the feelings of Browne's acolytes, many of whom have progressed to very impressive careers in newspapers.

On the point about Browne having a bias, this was probably more a feature of his TV3 work (as it then was) than his work on Late Debate or in newspapers.

I first got interested in radio in my teens by doing a menial job while listening to Vincent Browne eviscerate his guests on Late Debate, or, on the same programme, delve into policy debates in a really meaningful way — consulting experts on matters of economic planning, local government, ethics, etc.

There is so much scope here for a really excellent, public-service programme. The programme producers ought to try and live up to the standard set by Vincent Browne.

Yep, correct and right.

So we are bunched, is that what you are saying?

'Hope springs eternal'

Up to recently the debate on housing was carried out with studious avoidance of reference to costs. At least recently there has been some mention of these.
    For instance I have heard it said the State could over 10/15 years only fund about one third of the money required - this seems about right. Also John Moran knows what he is talking about. When the Left are cornered on costs (rarely) they refer to this O Cuallan scheme - they reckon 50,000 houses can be built on the basis of the costings of a single, small (and exceptional) scheme built 5/10 years ago.

Katie is better than the other two clowns, although Gara is somewhat better on Drivetime than he was before - less bullish and mulish, more rational.
    Always felt Browne was 'full of sound and fury signifying nothing', boorish, outrageously biased and seriously partial towards his favourites.
    Katie is limited, not very efficient with time or language and generally is not well researched. RTE would do well to get Kieran Cuddihy from Newstalk.

This 1 metre rule, maximum 6 at a table, time limits for indoor dining is just beyond silly, does government seriously think any establishment is going to adhere to this absurd nonsense.

Bad enough an enormous amount of restaurants won't last the length of the summer but any notion tourism this year will be saved is just absurd. Far too late now and further to this international visitors will be practicality non existant until 2022.

This 1 metre rule, maximum 6 at a table, time limits for indoor dining is just beyond silly, does government seriously think any establishment is going to adhere to this absurd nonsense.
    They will adhere. Just wait until someone breaks that rule, and posts pics to Twitter. Time limits sound silly, alright; but all the guidance has been adhered-to so far. I believe that will continue. Restaurants have done everything that was asked.

• Advertisement

They will adhere. Just wait until someone breaks that rule, and posts pics to Twitter. Time limits sound silly, alright; but all the guidance has been adhered-to so far. I believe that will continue. Restaurants have done everything that was asked.

Fair point but I honestly believe these businesses have had enough and I'm guessing they'll know that hell will freeze over before another lockdown happens. Actually, I'd be thinking that awful expression "pented up demand" is a red herring when it comes to indoor dining, sadly I think it's going to be a long, long time before a lot of people will dine in restaurants on a regular basis for quite some time, particularly those that have tight seating in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭1992ChainGang

They honestly haven't been all adhered to in the past. I live in Dublin, been to many different restaurants and bars throughout the various stages of different rules, time limits, meals etc and 80% haven't follow them strictly. Even when guards came in and spoke with management I never saw any bar being pulled up (not to say it never happened but it's very uncommon).

I reckon so long as there's not people gathered up at the bars or standing in groups I couldnt see any guards having issues or even asking how long has a person been sitting inside for.

They honestly haven't been all adhered to in the past. I live in Dublin, been to many different restaurants and bars throughout the various stages of different rules, time limits, meals etc and 80% haven't follow them strictly. Even when guards came in and spoke with management I never saw any bar being pulled up (not to say it never happened but it's very uncommon).

I reckon so long as there's not people gathered up at the bars or standing in groups I couldnt see any guards having issues or even asking how long has a person been sitting inside for.

It's a tough one, the harsh reality is the industry on its knee's and with the best will and intentions in the world they'll grab every last cent coming in. As it is, few will either reopen or survive and at best those that do (restaurants particularly) will not turn a profit for months. On top of this, Landlords will also come a knocking and no amount of government supports will resolve the minf blowing rental and tax arrears, these two issues will also haunt the retail sector for quite some time to come.

Regina Doherty, is there another politician so intensely unlikeable, horrid individual.

Katie, any person on PUP who was in part time employment and now ON PUP is ABSOLUTELY not getting €350 pw. It just astonishes me this fixation on this €350 pup rate. 47% on this rate, the remainder on far less and many on equivalent rate of JSA @ €203 PW.

• Advertisement
Advertisement