Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: Late Debate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

They quickly dropped the format of it having a different host every night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

bobbyss wrote: »
    Katy Hannon is presenting this now. I just find her accent a bit off putting. She's somewhat dull. I much prefer a presenter with a bit of personality.

Imo Katie is poor at presenting a whole show. I thought she was great when contributing to Prime Time issues but I thought her filling in on Drivetime and previous Late Debates were very stilted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Was Fionnuala Sweeney quietly shown the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Listened last night for the first time in a long while. Katie seemed lost to me, just not the right structure for her, I do enjoy her when she appears on primetime but not the radio format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,074 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

My sweet divine Jeebus, that one Louise O’Reilly is some annoying person.

Could not take any more of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭deise man

My sweet divine Jeebus, that one Louise O’Reilly is some annoying person.

Could not take any more of her.
    And she's always available to give her opinion. Everybody should remember her on the Claire Byrne radio show when she didn't see a problem with Jerry McCabe being murdered because there was a conflict going on.

honeybear wrote: »
    Imo Katie is poor at presenting a whole show. I thought she was great when contributing to Prime Time issues but I thought her filling in on Drivetime and previous Late Debates were very stilted.
    I came here just to say this. Katie Hannon was fantastic on PT, but seems allows Late Debate to descend into a brunch chat with mates.

The coverage of serious political issues is dire. I'm really surprised, she seems like a great journalist, but this is probably the worst Late Debate has ever been. KH seems to think shes presenting a chat show, not a serious political debate.

Claire Byrne, Audrey Carville and Cormac Ó hEadhra were perfect for this slot. The current show is tragically bad, I really hope RTÉ do something about it.

KH seems to think shes presenting a chat show, not a serious political debate.

Yes a format like Elaine Crowleys show, she wouldn't even suit the Daithi & Maura type setup. I would have that tv show on series link in a heartbeat......

Aska wrote: »
    Yes a format like Elaine Crowleys show, she wouldn't even suit the Daithi & Maura type setup. I would have that tv show on series link in a heartbeat......

I don't own a TV (honest, Mr Licence Man), was that a compliment of KH or a criticism?!

• Advertisement

I don't own a TV (honest, Mr Licence Man), was that a compliment of KH or a criticism?!

The Elaine format is mainly her or sometimes Ruth Scott and 3 guests so Katie would be the host in a similar type show but don't get me wrong the content of the Elaine show is not something Katie should be doing (dog bites bride etc.... ) but that set up in a more political show, maybe Aine Lawlors job on this week in politics (cause she is on lots of bloody shows, like the ploughing etc.)

Aska wrote: »
    The Elaine format is mainly her or sometimes Ruth Scott and 3 guests so Katie would be the host in a similar type show but don't get me wrong the content of the Elaine show is not something Katie should be doing (dog bites bride etc.... ) but that set up in a more political show, maybe Aine Lawlors job on this week in politics (cause she is on lots of bloody shows, like the ploughing etc.)

Ploughing is...ahem.....once a year.

Lookit.... on the LD... it’s format encourages everyone to try and talk over their counterparts and when you get someone like Louise O Reilly who just tries to keep going no matter what( she’s not the only one) it’s a recipe for poor radio.

Don’t know really what the answer is but letting them out on a ‘long leash’ doesn’t work.

It’s just a wall of unintelligible sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I miss Vincent Browne...

Ploughing is...ahem.....once a year.

Lookit.... on the LD... it’s format encourages everyone to try and talk over their counterparts and when you get someone like Louise O Reilly who just tries to keep going no matter what( she’s not the only one) it’s a recipe for poor radio.

Don’t know really what the answer is but letting them out on a ‘long leash’ doesn’t work.

It’s just a wall of unintelligible sound.
    But that's always been an issue for LD, Audrey Carville and Cormac 'Hang On, Hang On' Ó hEadhra managed to keep it on track. They did a great job, it was one of the best political programmes on radio or TV.

My problem with LD these days is that there's an awful lot of slack and friendly chat instead of any serious, substantive debate. The quality has gone way down, and maybe that's because there's no full-time presenter.

But that's always been an issue for LD, Audrey Carville and Cormac 'Hang On, Hang On' Ó hEadhra managed to keep it on track. They did a great job, it was one of the best political programmes on radio or TV.

My problem with LD these days is that there's an awful lot of slack and friendly chat instead of any serious, substantive debate. The quality has gone way down, and maybe that's because there's no full-time presenter.

Yes, cant argue with that.Noticed that with O’Reilly and Hannon last night,kind of joshing with each other.

Might need a full time presenter to ,perhaps, put his/her stamp on it, and stay aloof from exchanges, if that’s the right word.

You're fierce hard on O'Reilly, Brendan. I accept she speaks her fair share of scutter, but no more than Hugh O'Connell, Fergus O'Dowd, Miriam O'Callaghan's brother, or any of the other regulars.

honeybear wrote: »
    I miss Vincent Browne...
    We all do. I'm surprised he gave up writing for the Irish Times. Seems to have totally disappeared from the public eye, apart from the occasional attendance at public events.

Himself and Nell McCafferty shouldn't have been allowed to retire. Often disagreed with both of them, but absolutely stellar broadcasters and writers.

I believe VB is still working on a biography of CJ Haughey, mind you.

You're fierce hard on O'Reilly, Brendan. I accept she speaks her fair share of scutter, but no more than Hugh O'Connell, Fergus O'Dowd, Miriam O'Callaghan's brother, or any of the other regulars.

I forking hate that accent Tyrant, absolutely hate it , but I did say she wasn’t the only one.

Now last night, most of the others were fairly soft spoken which helped her.

She’s probably a nice person, but I am being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I thought Late Date did have a full time presenter who is on maternity leave at the moment?

I think Katie does ok, but seems to lack the innate ability to stoke up a good old row, the bit of divilment the likes of vinny would bring to the table. Even this hospital discussion tonight seems staid and half-arsed when there is so much potential for fireworks. She should be lighting the spark, not dousing it anytime she gets the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I'd prefer if the LD changed its format and concentrated on other important social and political topics - Ireland 2040 analysis, immigration, globalization etc.
    Its format now is simply a regurgitation of the topics well worn out by SOR, drive time, news at one, morning Ireland etc

• Advertisement

Diceicle wrote: »
    I'd prefer if the LD changed its format and concentrated on other important social and political topics - Ireland 2040 analysis, immigration, globalization etc.
    Its format now is simply a regurgitation of the topics well worn out by SOR, drive time, news at one, morning Ireland etc

Hmmm you forget that us folk out sledding the 50 and stuff like that don’t get to hear these programmes, always.

It’s a way that folk who are busy all day have to catch up on events of the day.

That said , the LD format is the most difficult format for a presenter to control.

Auld Vinnie had it sussed ... pack the panel with lefties, invite some poor gloamer from FG onto the panel...josh with the lefties laughing and joking then turn on the poor FG er and tear him/ her assunder,before letting the dogs loose on the poor person while sitting back laughing.

That was the way Vinnie did it...... no problems there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Hmmm you forget that us folk out sledding the 50 and stuff like that don’t get to hear these programmes, always.

It’s a way that folk who are busy all day have to catch up on events of the day.

Accept that. Though I only listen to any of the above, and radio in general, in podcast form - but that's just me.

Holy divine.... I tune into the LD again and Fitzmaurice is in it again

He was on VM 3 last night, going on with the same auld crap” We need to make sure...blada blada blada”

Telling people what they already know, over and over again

Have these people no one else to put on, who might have some insight into what’s happening.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I used to enjoy Late Debate since I am a radio person. But gave up after a long while because there was far too much SHOUTING and not much SUBSTANCE. Ugh.

Anyway late night radio is for anoraks like some of us like me. But honestly some of the guests are just meh.

But Local and EU elections beckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Double posts happening for me all day. Fed up with this now. Anyone else affected?

And I now have to contact an Administrator to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Katie Hanson has announced that tonight was her last night on LD.
    Wonder who will be on next week....please not Sarah McInerney

kazamo wrote: »
    Katie Hanson has announced that tonight was her last night on LD.
    Wonder who will be on next week....please not Sarah McInerney
    Isn't Sarah McInerney one of the official hosts, but out on maternity leave?

Whatever happened to the tripartite presentation of the show by Hannon, McInerney, and some other presenter with an English accent?

Isn't Sarah McInerney one of the official hosts, but out on maternity leave?

Whatever happened to the tripartite presentation of the show by Hannon, McInerney, and some other presenter with an English accent?

Abandoned, if memory serves me correctly.

Was I listening to the LD on Thursday and Katie Hannon was the chair.

Just folk shouting over each other, each one determined not to give free air to the other.

Terrible moderation, total chaos.

Why the fuhhrke can they not sort this out?

Just folk shouting over each other, each one determined not to give free air to the other.

Terrible moderation, total chaos.

Why the fuhhrke can they not sort this out?
    I reckon politicians become quite giddy at that time of night, perhaps having been well-lubricated between the end of Oireachtas business and the 10pm broadcast.

Mind you, Audrey Carville was well able to control her class when she was in charge. Byrne, O'hEadhra and Hannon always seemed pretty rudderless.

Saturday View suffers pretty much the same problem despite airing at 1pm, and it's worth noting that the previous and current presenters are Byrne and O' hEadhra respectively.

I don't think they quite appreciate how off-putting it is to hear several commentators and politicians braying down the mics at once.

• Advertisement

I reckon politicians become quite giddy at that time of night, perhaps having been well-lubricated between the end of Oireachtas business and the 10pm broadcast.

Mind you, Audrey Carville was well able to control her class when she was in charge. Byrne, O'hEadhra and Hannon always seemed pretty rudderless.

Saturday View suffers pretty much the same problem despite airing at 1pm, and it's worth noting that the previous and current presenters are Byrne and O' hEadhra respectively.

I don't think they quite appreciate how off-putting it is to hear several commentators and politicians braying down the mics at once.

Well I agree totally Tee, it’s not off-putting it’s infuriating especially if you have someone like Louise O’Reilly.

If Ireland ever send someone to the moon I nominate Louise as she doesn’t seem to need oxygen just talks without breathing in a Katie Taylor like delivery.

Surely a good presenter should sort this out prior to airtime, persistent offenders noted and never invited back and told this.

Duddnt seem rocket science to this poster.

Advertisement