Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: Late Debate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

The programme used to be more ambitious. It would live up to its name and debate various issues - often ongoing rather than topical. But in at least the months since Carville left, it has come to resemble the multiple other current affairs programmes across Radio 1, which are low-maintenance, unambitious and consist of politicians or regular media contributors giving a predictable and often uninteresting take on current events (which, by nature, are often trivial). That is not debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I remember when Vincent Browne had that slot.

The usual format was to have a few of Vinnies cronies in, that solicitor guy from D12 was a regular, cue a bit of joshing between them, wheel in some poor goon from the governing party, backbencher, councillor or sommat and thenVinnie would go through the poor fhooker with both barrels!!

Then the would both have another round of friendly joshing.

Total arsehole broadcasting, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Cormac O'Headhra presented Late Debate for a while earlier in the year. He was just brilliant. IMV of course...

He is a hidden talent in RTE, he is on RnaG. but could sort out those wafflers on the Late Debate big time. I gave up listening to it when he was replaced by an RTE dinner party luvvie.... yes Keelin Shanley.

GET HIM BACK!

Audrey Carville was great too, she worked with BBC World Service and you would know it. Streets ahead of the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

I remember when Vincent Browne had that slot.

The usual format was to have a few of Vinnies cronies in, that solicitor guy from D12 was a regular, cue a bit of joshing between them, wheel in some poor goon from the governing party, backbencher, councillor or sommat and thenVinnie would go through the poor fhooker with both barrels!!

Then the would both have another round of friendly joshing.

Total arsehole broadcasting, in my opinion.

Plus interminable readings of transcripts of the Mahon/Tribunal du Jour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Is this show on summer holiday?

yup.

says it all about RTE.

On the night greece stiffs the IMF for 1.6bn no one in RTE thinks it worth covering (there was no primetime show on telly about it either)

in fact even VinnyB only gave it 5min coverage when it happened live on his show

mental stuff.

for the life of me i dont get it. its like someting from the CS mentality that insists they get the day off to cash a cheque thats going into their account electroncially now.

so the hosts/regular team want some time off?

then give it to a bunch of newbies that arent related to everyone else in the station and let them run it for the months they take off

cant be bloody worse than repeats of "sunday miscellany " on a tuesday night. there is NO real excuse for the show stopping at all, or any of them that arent celebrity host based (i.e people tuning in for that host specifically).

course then ya run the risk of those lads, who are much cheaper, being better. remember what happend to marion?

:D

• Advertisement

yup.

says it all about RTE.

On the night greece stiffs the IMF for 1.6bn no one in RTE thinks it worth covering (there was no primetime show on telly about it either)

in fact even VinnyB only gave it 5min coverage when it happened live on his show

mental stuff.

for the life of me i dont get it. its like someting from the CS mentality that insists they get the day off to cash a cheque thats going into their account electroncially now.

so the hosts/regular team want some time off?

then give it to a bunch of newbies that arent related to everyone else in the station and let them run it for the months they take off

cant be bloody worse than repeats of "sunday miscellany " on a tuesday night. there is NO real excuse for the show stopping at all, or any of them that arent celebrity host based (i.e people tuning in for that host specifically).

course then ya run the risk of those lads, who are much cheaper, being better. remember what happend to marion?

In fairness lads like FB, Padd, and others have been highlighting this years ago.

Taking dogs abuse for it too .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Late Debate gone crazy

honeybear wrote: »
    Late Debate gone crazy

In what way?

Do tell:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

In what way?
    Do tell:rolleyes:
    They (politicians) were all talking over each other in DublinSW, slander, apologise, no, etc etc

snubbleste wrote: »
    They (politicians) were all talking over each other in DublinSW, slander, apologise, no, etc etc
    Aaah the usual then, I'm sure 'lies' were mentioned.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Late Debate gone crazy

Did some labour junior minister have a strop and walk out of the studio?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

neris wrote: »
    Did some labour junior minister have a strop and walk out of the studio?
    No. That's KCLR FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Any one catch last night's show?

If not, you missed the most preachy, hubristic woman I've ever heard.

Karen Devine I think her name was, on the payroll in DCU apparently.

She was a joy to behold in full flight, constantly interrupting and talking over much more knowledgeable panellists and managing to simultaneously crow bar in plugs for her own writings, Cormac's patience was hanging by a thread towards the end.

She also insisted on pronouncing Fianna Fail as Fianna Foil, very grating on the ears at that time of night.

Well worth a listen back on the RTE Player.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Any one catch last night's show?

If not, you missed the most preachy, hubristic woman I've ever heard.

Karen Devine I think her name was, on the payroll in DCU apparently.

She was a joy to behold in full flight, constantly interrupting and talking over much more knowledgeable panellists and managing to simultaneously crow bar in plugs for her own writings, Cormac's patience was hanging by a thread towards the end.

She also insisted on pronouncing Fianna Fail as Fianna Foil, very grating on the ears at that time of night.

Well worth a listen back on the RTE Player.

Heard her Padd, there is a jackhammer demolishing a garage roof in the next house, that is more acceptable than that lady.

Didn't get her name at the start but swiftly took a major dislike to her attitude,manners and downright brassy behaviour and her voice.

Cormac was unusually floundering with her antics.

Hopefully RTE will have noted and taken appropriate action.

Ie don't have this lady on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Lol. When you Google her, nearly every image is of her mouthing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

shes some ride though !

used to be on VinnyB back in the day.

shes some ride though !

used to be on VinnyB back in the day.

Nah.

Vinny probably let her away with it though- that's what he does.

Always remember Sean Ardagh back in the day, ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

No, I'm decidedly not listening to this. In a country suffering from economic woes, it beggars belief a government keeps coming up with all these harmful to business suggestions.

What would reduction of alcohol sponsorship do to sports and festivals? It would mean most of them would either be scrapped or downsized thus reducing business for all. Drunkards and problem drinkers would drink anyway and are not influenced by adverts and sponsorship! So, it would solve nothing. Just another hardline idea by an increasingly dictatorial state? Most definitely.

The way things are, we need to be encouraging ALL types of legal business and get the people back to work. Unemployment, depression, inflation, corruption, crime, etc. are of GREATER concern to the Irish people than alcohol usage and the government should tackle these issues first.
    Alcohol sponsorship is one thing, but alcohol advertising is a more serious issue, and should be seriously looked at. I would be in favour of alcohol advertising going the way of cigarettes. Both are aimed at kids more than adults, playing the long game rather than the short. It's sickening to see Guinness and other beer ads on tv tbh while cigarette advertising is banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Quite a spirited discussion re Michael O'Leary's comments on Public Sector. Diarmaid Ferriter (I think) was particularly angry

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Quite a spirited discussion re Michael O'Leary's comments on Public Sector. Diarmaid Ferriter (I think) was particularly angry

Had to turn it off just now, turned into a total shouting fest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Had to turn it off just now, turned into a total shouting fest.

You were 100% right to turn it off. It sickens me to see all this time wasted on stupid debate instead of agreeing to solve the problems that need to be solved. All this public v private sector stuff and the myths that go with it and all this stoking controversy for the sake of it by the media is not helpful.

These angry debates sicken me. They also are fake for the most part. The place for this type of thing is in the courthouse. While these debates go on, real issues remain not solved. No wonder our country is messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You were 100% right to turn it off. It sickens me to see all this time wasted on stupid debate instead of agreeing to solve the problems that need to be solved. All this public v private sector stuff and the myths that go with it and all this stoking controversy for the sake of it by the media is not helpful.

These angry debates sicken me. They also are fake for the most part. The place for this type of thing is in the courthouse. While these debates go on, real issues remain not solved. No wonder our country is messed up.
    Agree 100% with this.

It's the same at election time - all the effort goes into stoking rows and squabbles between parties and candidates, and rabble-rousing, instead of informing the public of the policies and aims (however fictional they may be) of the candidates.

As I commented on another thread, ****-stirring is all it is, and I'm utterly sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

The debate on o Leary was pretty hilarious. The public sector surely are they that sensitive? What o Leary did was to express his views -

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Agree 100% with this.

It's the same at election time - all the effort goes into stoking rows and squabbles between parties and candidates, and rabble-rousing, instead of informing the public of the policies and aims (however fictional they may be) of the candidates.

As I commented on another thread, ****-stirring is all it is, and I'm utterly sick of it.

All this stuff is debated by the privileged few who have the nerve to talk about making decisions for ordinary people. Setting the public off against the private sector and vice versa is a common divide and conquer diversion technique. While both are accusing each other of things, policies detrimental to both are implemented by the powers that be.

Also I think people like Michael O'Leary and Bill Cullen get too much airtime and their opinions are taken as gospel too often. They are ruthless businessmen who exploit people and who are not afraid to implement policies that would hurt most people. These people are actually both the public and private sector as they run private enterprises but also win government contracts and get support others would not get. They also would be the very types who would like to enter politics and try and sell themselves as solutions to our problems when in fact it is these very types that ARE among our problems. These are our Irish Donald Trumps only perhaps much worse.

All this stuff is debated by the privileged few who have the nerve to talk about making decisions for ordinary people. Setting the public off against the private sector and vice versa is a common divide and conquer diversion technique. While both are accusing each other of things, policies detrimental to both are implemented by the powers that be.

Also I think people like Michael O'Leary and Bill Cullen get too much airtime and their opinions are taken as gospel too often. They are ruthless businessmen who exploit people and who are not afraid to implement policies that would hurt most people. These people are actually both the public and private sector as they run private enterprises but also win government contracts and get support others would not get. They also would be the very types who would like to enter politics and try and sell themselves as solutions to our problems when in fact it is these very types that ARE among our problems. These are our Irish Donald Trumps only perhaps much worse.

Total arse there, how many people do they employ, how many people benefit from their product. Thousands lad, thousands.

Cmon man, the state can't support you for ever.

What you don't seem to see is the totally global effect that people who take risks provide.

You seem to be a type who beds in to a company, usually a state one like An Post and starts burrowing in from underneath..

Open your eyes and see what's available for those who want to get on, lad.

Total arse there, how many people do they employ, how many people benefit from their product. Thousands lad, thousands.

Cmon man, the state can't support you for ever.

What you don't seem to see is the totally global effect that people who take risks provide.

You seem to be a type who beds in to a company, usually a state one like An Post and starts burrowing in from underneath..

Open your eyes and see what's available for those who want to get on, lad.

I have zero regard for the likes of O'Leary and Cullen. It is true they employ loads of people. So too do drug dealers and pimps. O'Leary and Cullen do not give a flip about their workers (afterall Cullen expected people to work for nothing and that is the views these people have of workers if they were totally honest). They treat their workers very poorly and they provide very insecure jobs and the major problem of job insecurity (which is much worse than unemployment because it is where most Irish people are) and this mantra we are told about 'no jobs for life anymore' is due to listening to selfish, greedy idiots like O'Leary and Cullen. These vermin are the worst pinup posters we have of entrepreneurs in Ireland. One can be kind and caring and be a good businessman too.

The state should support its citizens, else it shouldn't be there. All too often, the state ignores its citizens and instead supports the likes of O'Leary and Cullen and keeps others out. Not all can work for state companies but the state does not nurture small business startups either BECAUSE of pressure from the likes of O'Leary and Cullen.

Risk taking is another debate. Reckless risk taking is wrong and is where many lose everything they got. Of course when the elite take risks and it goes right, they are lauded by governments and the media as heroes. When it goes wrong, the rest of us have to lose our jobs, get our hours cut, pay more taxes, and do without more services (and be sold this disgusting idea of small government) to bail out these jacks. Again it is the likes of O'Leary and Cullen. Cullen's businesses failed but he was invited onto RTE's chatshows to promote his new ones! Hardly risk taking when he KNOWS he will get the support from the government and the media to rebuild. Ordinary Joe Soap with a small restaurant, pub or shop and it fails won't get that support will he!?!

My eyes are wide open. Those who get on like affore mentioned 2 loudmouth selfish sociopaths have ALL the big connections open to them and will block everyone else who they see as a threat to challenge them. Try promoting something O'Leary or Cullen is involved in on a national or international scale and you will see how far YOU will get!

I'm against public v private sector rivalry, I'm against small government and I'm against the people bailing out the unsuccessful risks of the connected. That does not make me communist or capitalist, but it does make me an ordinary person who has my eyes wide open to what all these despicable people stand for. And what they stand for is NOT the ordinary people be they public or private sector employees or ordinary business people.

I have zero regard for the likes of O'Leary and Cullen. It is true they employ loads of people. So too do drug dealers and pimps. O'Leary and Cullen do not give a flip about their workers (afterall Cullen expected people to work for nothing and that is the views these people have of workers if they were totally honest). They treat their workers very poorly and they provide very insecure jobs and the major problem of job insecurity (which is much worse than unemployment because it is where most Irish people are) and this mantra we are told about 'no jobs for life anymore' is due to listening to selfish, greedy idiots like O'Leary and Cullen. These vermin are the worst pinup posters we have of entrepreneurs in Ireland. One can be kind and caring and be a good businessman too.

The state should support its citizens, else it shouldn't be there. All too often, the state ignores its citizens and instead supports the likes of O'Leary and Cullen and keeps others out. Not all can work for state companies but the state does not nurture small business startups either BECAUSE of pressure from the likes of O'Leary and Cullen.

Risk taking is another debate. Reckless risk taking is wrong and is where many lose everything they got. Of course when the elite take risks and it goes right, they are lauded by governments and the media as heroes. When it goes wrong, the rest of us have to lose our jobs, get our hours cut, pay more taxes, and do without more services (and be sold this disgusting idea of small government) to bail out these jacks. Again it is the likes of O'Leary and Cullen. Cullen's businesses failed but he was invited onto RTE's chatshows to promote his new ones! Hardly risk taking when he KNOWS he will get the support from the government and the media to rebuild. Ordinary Joe Soap with a small restaurant, pub or shop and it fails won't get that support will he!?!

My eyes are wide open. Those who get on like affore mentioned 2 loudmouth selfish sociopaths have ALL the big connections open to them and will block everyone else who they see as a threat to challenge them. Try promoting something O'Leary or Cullen is involved in on a national or international scale and you will see how far YOU will get!

I'm against public v private sector rivalry, I'm against small government and I'm against the people bailing out the unsuccessful risks of the connected. That does not make me communist or capitalist, but it does make me an ordinary person who has my eyes wide open to what all these despicable people stand for. And what they stand for is NOT the ordinary people be they public or private sector employees or ordinary business people.

Apologies if I have got this wrong, but you come across like a disgruntled An Post employee who is bedded in for life, and rather than try to better yourself, you try to dismantle things from within.

You use your position, permanent pensionable job, unsackable, and the rest to pump out bitterness and bile against anyone who tries to make it on their own,without the being attached to teat of the state, like Coppinger and her ilk.

Luckily there are people out there who are far seeing and willing to put their money where their mouth is, because if the country depended on people who seem to have your outlook,we would be in a morass of fetid mediocrity with the rank stench of rotten matter permanently in our nostrils.

Get a grip lad.

Apologies if I have got this wrong, but you come across like a disgruntled An Post employee who is bedded in for life, and rather than try to better yourself, you try to dismantle things from within.

You use your position, permanent pensionable job, unsackable, and the rest to pump out bitterness and bile against anyone who tries to make it on their own,without the being attached to teat of the state, like Coppinger and her ilk.

Luckily there are people out there who are far seeing and willing to put their money where their mouth is, because if the country depended on people who seem to have your outlook,we would be in a morass of fetid mediocrity with the rank stench of rotten matter permanently in our nostrils.

Get a grip lad.

For starters I am not an An Post employee. And if one was 'bedded in for life' in a permanent job I don't think we'd be complaining would we!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have worked private and public sector job and have been an employee and self employed so my story is that of seeing job insecurity. Anyone who tries to make it on their own is slapped down by the likes of Cullen and O'Leary, or whoever else it happens to be that rules the roost.

The state's job is not only about providing public sector jobs, it is also clearly about creating a fertile ground for indigenous startup businesses. Stupid free market mantra like market forces will take care of this and that really means the big bully boys will crush any startup business and will form monopolies, oligopolies and cartels.

Coppinger is just another politician who will one day be in government licking the boots of corrupt bullyboy businessmen and justifying their protection just like the rest of them. Why should she be any different? She is the opposition and we heard from the current government when they were in the opposition saying the very same things!

You seem to be under the illusion that it is EASY to attain money and to make money work without your business being shot down by the superpowers of Irish indeed global business? I'd love to see a country where startups can rise to the top and create wealth and be supported by the state and not attacked by greedy monopolies who fear change. This does not exist and you fully know this!

For starters I am not an An Post employee. And if one was 'bedded in for life' in a permanent job I don't think we'd be complaining would we!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have worked private and public sector job and have been an employee and self employed so my story is that of seeing job insecurity. Anyone who tries to make it on their own is slapped down by the likes of Cullen and O'Leary, or whoever else it happens to be that rules the roost.

The state's job is not only about providing public sector jobs, it is also clearly about creating a fertile ground for indigenous startup businesses. Stupid free market mantra like market forces will take care of this and that really means the big bully boys will crush any startup business and will form monopolies, oligopolies and cartels.

Coppinger is just another politician who will one day be in government licking the boots of corrupt bullyboy businessmen and justifying their protection just like the rest of them. Why should she be any different? She is the opposition and we heard from the current government when they were in the opposition saying the very same things!

You seem to be under the illusion that it is EASY to attain money and to make money work without your business being shot down by the superpowers of Irish indeed global business? I'd love to see a country where startups can rise to the top and create wealth and be supported by the state and not attacked by greedy monopolies who fear change. This does not exist and you fully know this!

Eh....look, sorry if as it seems ,you have been 'done down' by someone or other .

I'm sure there is some back story there, so I am not going to harp on and criticise you.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours and hope things work out.

I can't really say anymore.

• Advertisement

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    The debate on o Leary was pretty hilarious. The public sector surely are they that sensitive? What o Leary did was to express his views -
    You missed the point entirely, then.

The point was not directly about what Michael O'Leary believes. I don't care what he thinks should happen the health service. Nobody should care. He doesn't understand governance, in the same was as Government doesn't understand the airline industry, and has no business interfering in ordinary commercial activity.

But somebody does care about his views: Fine Gael, who apparently invite him to their events and chortle along at his stupid ideas about turning Ireland into a corporation. That's the worrying bit. The fact that Fine Gael appear to align themselves with that idiot. The fact that his opinions on governing the health service, for example, are of interest to Fine Gael.

Advertisement