Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: Late Debate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You missed the point entirely, then.

The point was not directly about what Michael O'Leary believes. I don't care what he thinks should happen the health service. Nobody should care. He doesn't understand governance, in the same was as Government doesn't understand the airline industry, and has no business interfering in ordinary commercial activity.

But somebody does care about his views: Fine Gael, who apparently invite him to their events and chortle along at his stupid ideas about turning Ireland into a corporation. That's the worrying bit. The fact that Fine Gael appear to align themselves with that idiot. The fact that his opinions on governing the health service, for example, are of interest to Fine Gael.

Only a 'lifer' could produce a post like that.

Open your mind.

Only a 'lifer' could produce a post like that.

Open your mind.
    What on earth is a lifer?

If you think I work in the public service, or are otherwise dependent on the State for any of my income, you're completely incorrect. I work in the private sector and had previously emigrated.

That's also odd, given that you were previously exhorting an end to this ridiculous public vs. private-sector division, which I happen to agree with.

I also agree with Diarmaid Ferriter's argument that Michael O'Leary's views on running public services should be utterly ignored.

What on earth is a lifer?

If you think I work in the public service, or are otherwise dependent on the State for any of my income, you're completely incorrect. I work in the private sector and had previously emigrated.

That's also odd, given that you were previously exhorting an end to this ridiculous public vs. private-sector division, which I happen to agree with.

I also agree with Diarmaid Ferriter's argument that Michael O'Leary's views on running public services should be utterly ignored.

Not surprised you agree with poor Diarmuid, lad has a history, pardon the pun, of being a shill for calling for more and more for academia, whilst being a tad silent on giving more.

Lad spends a lot of time in the studios of Montrose shilling various things,probably because he is based just up the road, but a cynic like myself would wonder how he gets so much time for this activity.

Like that Wallace dude, X National Museum, these ,in my opinion are single issue punters who think John Taxpayer is as interested in their products as they seem to be.

Not for a minute doubting their sincerity, but sometimes straight pragmatism comes out ahead of smokey theory and arty farty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nynik

Does anyone know if it's on a break or something? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Most of RTEs current affairs debate programmes e.g. Late Debate, Saturday view etc (apart from those combined with a major news bulletin) take a summer break and return when the Dáil does - late September usually. It's not too long since the Pat Kenny Show (when it was on RTE) took a full and then partial summer break too -- but I think competition forces them to keep going now.

• Advertisement

Brid Smith getting her arse handed to her on tonight’s Late Debate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Good loser

On tonight's show Jack O Connor must have spoken for 75% of the time.

Tiresome tirades and platitudes, laced with condescension.

Should be handed a P45.

Good loser wrote: »
    On tonight's show Jack O Connor must have spoken for 75% of the time.

Tiresome tirades and platitudes, laced with condescension.

Should be handed a P45.

Switched it off, how many times did he mention the ‘centenary ‘.

Complete muppet. O’Headhra tends to lose control very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Awful woman playing gender card ... and I’m a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

honeybear wrote: »
    Awful woman playing gender card ... and I’m a woman
    I only caught the last quarter of an hour.
    I'm raging I missed yet another well deserved filleting.
    Thankfully Cormac-who is prone to slightly indulging the loony left-gave her pathetic accusation short-shrift.

• Advertisement

What is Michael Fitzmaurice doing on Late Debate one has to ask.

On it very often, and all he does is state the obvious time after time.

Can be held accountable for nothing, implement nothing.

Even a grunt like myself could go on and say “We must make sure the National debt doesn’t get out of hand”

What’s the point of a guy coming on stating the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,934 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Even a grunt like myself could go on and say “We must make sure the National debt doesn’t get out of hand”

He's you Brendan. His job is to remind the gov what they should be doing.

He's you Brendan. His job is to remind the gov what they should be doing.

Indeed Francie, however he’s not me, I couldn’t take a large wedge from the taxpayer and just keep pointing g out the obvious,without offering any feasible solutions or alternatives.

I mean the solution to everything isn’t ‘tax the rich’ if you catch me dhhrift Francis.;)

Indeed Francie, however he’s not me, I couldn’t take a large wedge from the taxpayer and just keep pointing g out the obvious,without offering any feasible solutions or alternatives.

I mean the solution to everything isn’t ‘tax the rich’ if you catch me dhhrift Francis.;)

Brendan why do you come on here to generalise about people?
    His solution to 'everything' isn't what you say it is and it is not him that has implemented the tax regime in this country, that is the achievement of the the parties who have swapped power here since the foundation of the state.

Brendan why do you come on here to generalise about people?
    His solution to 'everything' isn't what you say it is and it is not him that has implemented the tax regime in this country, that is the achievement of the the parties who have swapped power here since the foundation of the state.

Francis you didn’t catch me dhhrift.

I never said that “his solution....” I said “the solution”... and the sublety didn’t register Francis;). Even the little emo didn’t give the dhrrrift.

How is the leg?

Francis you didn’t catch me dhhrift.

I never said that “his solution....” I said “the solution”... and the sublety didn’t register Francis;). Even the little emo didn’t give the dhrrrift.

How is the leg?

There was no 'subtlety' Brendan. You are pedantically imagining the existence of it.

*We will give you a pass on not recognising the necessary components (subtle or otherwise) of any programme calling itself a 'Debate'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Didn’t hear any announcement but i guess it’s safe to assume RTÉ has mercifully jettisoned the “3 women to do one job” experiment of last year. What a terrible arrangement that was.

Didn’t hear any announcement but i guess it’s safe to assume RTÉ has mercifully jettisoned the “3 women to do one job” experiment of last year. What a terrible arrangement that was.

Yes think it’s down to two now.

The other system was never a good idea.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-féin-proposes-increased-income-tax-for-higher-earners-1.2528485

Little hint Francis......;)

Generalising again Brendan. :rolleyes:

I cannot for the life of me see 'tax the rich' being offered as a 'solution to everything' in that.

Carry on with the silliness, it isn't a frequency I tune into. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ah they’ll get it down to one eventually. It has to go into RTÉ files under the heading “what the fck were they thinking of”. Even worse than co-presenters which is very rarely a good idea on current affairs shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

"New politics" I'm afraid B.

Thirty years ago the likes of Fitzmaurice would be a backbench FF TD, good for nothing more than gombeening landlines and medical cards.

These days however, FF are a toxic brand and self promotion/preservation is the order of the day for him. You can add the rural element of the Independent Alliance to the demograph as well.

Hard going on the lugs the lot of them.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    "New politics" I'm afraid B.

Thirty years ago the likes of Fitzmaurice would be a backbench FF TD, good for nothing more than gombeening landlines and medical cards.

These days however, FF are a toxic brand and self promotion/preservation is the order of the day for him. You can add the rural element of the Independent Alliance to the demograph as well.

Hard going on the lugs the lot of them.

Good call p....that’s why I cannot understand why he is a regular on the LD.

Responsible for nothing, can do nothing, can implement nothing.

It’s like some presenter asking me “Here we have one of Westmeaths best supporters,now Brenno, how can we improve the fortunes of Westmeath in next years Football campaign”

“Lookit John,we have to make sure the lads is taken care of . Cars for everyone, meals delivered with the best nutritionists at hand, let’s get in elite world class trainers,fully qualified, pay them the going rate, then strength and conditioning, we have to make sure they have world class facilities,experienced trainers,proper kit, proper boots and the like. We have to make sure the people of rural Ireland are not left behind in all this”

“And tell me Brenno how is the county board and Westmeath GAA going to fund and drive this through”

“How the fcuk would I know that,John, lookit the lads deserve the best, it’s up to those fat hoors on the county board to sort that out. Sitting scratching their holes up at Athlone, whole shower of them should be sacked,useless kernts.”

“And Brenno will you be fighting for a place on the board to make sure all this great aspiration comes to pass”

“ Lookit ..I will in me bollix, my job is to point out what the county boards job is,pal”

“ Bren....I’m not your pal………………”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Down to two? I only ever hear one present the programme now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Mondo from Dublin

They've already dropped Finonula Sweeneys Thursday night international news edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Katie Hannon full time host now i think. Until the new year i presume. Bit of a shambles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

What happened to the late debate with Sara McIn. It has been missing for weeks? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dublin_Horse

Sarah is gone on maternity leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 VCR repair man

It only came back after the Halloween break last Wednesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Katy Hannon is presenting this now. I just find her accent a bit off putting. She's somewhat dull. I much prefer a presenter with a bit of personality.

Advertisement