Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Noel82 wrote: »
    rs-214981-GettyImages-111787446.jpg

So...because there is one high-profile case of a powerful non-white man in the entertainment industry being alleged to have assaulted dozens of women over a period of years, we are not in a society where being a white male confers benefits in terms of overall treatment compared to other groups?

Well, ok then. Conventionally a single data point isn't accepted as a statistically valid sample, but you've won me over :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Fysh wrote: »
    So...because there is one high-profile case of a powerful non-white man in the entertainment industry being alleged to have assaulted dozens of women over a period of years, we are not in a society where being a white male confers benefits in terms of overall treatment compared to other groups?

Well, ok then. Conventionally a single data point isn't accepted as a statistically valid sample, but you've won me over :pac:

dont be such a racist.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

So the man abused his position, women and potted plants. Yet we are back into white privilege.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So the man abused his position, women and potted plants. Yet we are back into white privilege.

More pointing out that part of the reason the victims might not have felt enabled to speak out is the power structures Weinstein had around him - which amongst other things would take advantage of his relatively privileged status in relation to his victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

/\

That RICH privilege. Not "white" privilege.

It wasn't his colour that enabled his ability to get away with all of this for so long. It was his money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Stuff coming out about Irish personalities abusing the young ones now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

__..__ wrote: »
    Stuff coming out about Irish personalities abusing the young ones now too.

Link?

Link?

Not a good idea. Until there's verifiable proof, boards would be opening themselves up to a sh1tload of lawsuits. All it took was a mention of security at a camping ground during a festival being sh1t for MCD to basically try to sue the living sh1t out of this site - which lasted the best part of.. what.. 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Is this Terry Prone?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Not a good idea. Until there's verifiable proof, boards would be opening themselves up to a sh1tload of lawsuits. All it took was a mention of security at a camping ground during a festival being sh1t for MCD to basically try to sue the living sh1t out of this site - which lasted the best part of.. what.. 2 years?

You mean I can't post the names?
    Don't worry they'll be all over the place soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Add Eva Green to the growing list.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/eva-green-harvey-weinstein-1202590025/

Meanwhile, Bob Weinstein who is fighting to save the company, has disowned his brother, calling him sick and depraved.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bob-weinstein-gets-emotional-depraved-harvey-saving-company-his-waking-nightmare-1048905

He asked for a link, not to say names. If the user posts a link from a reputable site then boards.ie wouldn't be at any risk, just don't mention names unless there is a source to back them up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Terry Prone was talking about stuff that happened back in the mid 60s, when men exposing themselves and sticking their hands up girl's skirts was run of the mill stuff in Ireland. Anyway conveniently enough the person she was talking about is dead and I assume she has no knowledge of anyone currently engaging in abuse or harassment in the Irish entertainment business.

Lenny Abrahamson made some late night twitter comments about there being Irish abusers quaking in their boots etc, giving the impression that he was talking about certain people particular, but he has since rolled back on this and said he doesn't know anything and was just speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

This stuff is really depressing. Why the Hell did get away with this for so long? Why did no one ever speak up until now? Those poor women that have been victimised by this monster? Just cause he's rich and famous means he's above the law? This kind of thing is far too depressing, it makes me want to watch I Spit On Your Grave, at least in that the rapists get what they SO deserve! But I guess in real life these monsters get away with it for decades! This whole thing has made me so angry.

He asked for a link, not to say names. If the user posts a link from a reputable site then boards.ie wouldn't be at any risk, just don't mention names unless there is a source to back them up.
    __..__ wrote: »
    You mean I can't post the names?
    Don't worry they'll be all over the place soon enough.

Who knows what you can do anymore. Like I said, an offhand discussion about security lead to a huge lawsuit (or threat of - I don't remember how far it got)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tarantino to make the True Life movie version of this under Bob's new company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,499 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I do wish people would stop saying they regret saying not something. I can't remember if it was in this thread or the one in AH, but someone mentioned how in training with dealing with rape victims, these people often don't want anything to be done by those they tell, but instead they want to be listened to. Paraphrasing, of course, and they said it a lot better.

Bob is now in the firing line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Were any of the ladies A list at the time or were they up and coming, nothing can ever justify his behaviour but I'm curious to know did he try this sort of thing with established actresses too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Dr Brown wrote: »
    I wonder how many A list stars in hollywood only got to were they are because they slept their way to the top... it must be an awful alot of them.

Both men and women. I suspect Irish stars among them.

Were any of the ladies A list at the time or were they up and coming, nothing can ever justify his behaviour but I'm curious to know did he try this sort of thing with established actresses too.

Not A-list, no. Mostly actresses in the process of breaking through, but some were fairly well known at the time it happened as well. Lauren Holly in the late '90s, Claire Forlani repeatedly around the same time, Heather Graham in the early '00s.

My reading of it is that he over stepped the mark in attempting to start a relationship. He didn't take no for and answer and persisted in trying to spend time with her. It's a crappy thing to do but nothing comparable to what his brother did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sponge? Hope? the builder?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Amazon Studio executive Roy Price resigns after sexual harassment allegations

http://www.thejournal.ie/amazon-sexual-assault-3651783-Oct2017/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Both men and women. I suspect Irish stars among them.

As I said in a previous post one of Weinstein's latest pushes was Cork native Sarah Greene. Not sure she has released any statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A lot of news about Weinstein tonight from the BBC.

The British Film Institute announced that they are to strip Weinstein of his BFI Fellowship award arising from multiple sexual abuse allegations against him.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41664814

Tom Hanks has said in an BBC interview that the Harvey Weinstein abuse scandal will become a "sea change" & a "watershed moment" in Hollywood. He said the film industry there has to change in the aftermath of the scandal by highlighting that there was no way back for Harvey Weinstein.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41678196

Channing Tatum has said he has pulled out from production of a sexual abuse film which had been made by Weinstein's film company.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41681629

James Toback writer and director who was Oscar nominated for writing Bugsy has now been accused by 38 women of sexual harassment.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-mn-james-toback-sexual-harassment-allegations-20171018-story.html

Very much so. America as a whole is like an episode of south park these days. All of Hollywood on their moral perch yet had been singing the praises of predators like Weinstein. They would have heard the rumors and the stories about him.
    Meryl Streep even called him God! :pac:

Two words...
    Roman Polanski

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Two words...
    Roman Polanski

And now another accusation about Polanski molesting a 10 year old have surfaced
    http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/roman-polanski-accused-of-molesting-10-year-old-girl.html

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Michael Winner is apparently in the **** house now being discussed on this Morning. Him I'm not surprised about either as
    Alex Winter (Bill and Ted) described him as a sadist both behind and in front of the camera lol. Marina Sirtis from Star Trek once described how he ripped half her dress off in preparation for a fight scene with Faye Dunnaway in The Wicked Lady.

neirbloom wrote: »
    Michael Winner is apparently in the **** house now being discussed on this Morning. Him I'm not surprised about either as
    Alex Winter (Bill and Ted) described him as a sadist both behind and in front of the camera lol. Marina Sirtis from Star Trek once described how he ripped half her dress off in preparation for a fight scene with Faye Dunnaway in The Wicked Lady.

He's dead so can't even defend himself, with Winner's work and the abundance of nudity in it, him asking an actress to strip during an audition may just be a case of him ensuring that if he hires them for a role they will be comfortable being naked on set. He may have been a sleazebag but at the same time a director auditioning an actor for a role may at times ask them to undress solely to ensure that they will when needed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

/\

That stuff happens all the time, for men and women.

Directors do a lot of things to get reactions from their actors and to see if they're comfortable with very uncomfortable situations. It doesn't mean it's on, or anywhere near, the same level as Weinstein's case.

Weinstein has opened a can of worms and there isn't a doubt in my mind that that hollywood is rife with types like him who abuse their position and use their wealth to buy people off.

But, these "oh and he's another one" type headlines that are coming out now smack of tabloid journos afraid of letting "their" story die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

neirbloom wrote: »

I don't see what's wrong with that?

• Advertisement

David O. Russell now being accused of Groping and On-Set Abuse.

David O. Russell now being accused of Groping and On-Set Abuse.

Lily Tomlin is fcuking awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is O'Russell under fire for the likes of the above or is it groping/sexual abuse?

Because that video has been in circulation for god knows how long and while he comes across as an aggressive prick I don't see that as being quite the same.

The Russell stuff is a non-story. His abusive on-set behaviour including getting into fist fights with actors has been openly talked about by everyone who has ever worked with him. And afaik the groping accusation is based on some random comment in an email from the Sony hack. The tabloids must be desperate for abuse stories which is strange since supposedly the Weinstein scandal had "burst the dam".

• Advertisement

The Russell stuff is a non-story. His abusive on-set behaviour including getting into fist fights with actors has been openly talked about by everyone who has ever worked with him. And afaik the groping accusation is based on some random comment in an email from the Sony hack. The tabloids must be desperate for abuse stories which is strange since supposedly the Weinstein scandal had "burst the dam".

The groping accusation is in relation to him supposedly groping his trans niece. It boiled down to a he said, she said thing with police not bothering to do anything as there want a whole lot to it.

I can't wait for the Oscars. A month ago it was going to be predictable thanking Weinstein, Anti Trump speeches and some other high unicorn activity.

They will try and rescue themselves by not giving a single white actor or actress an award for anything.

But in reality probably the only thing that can save The Oscars this year is Ricky Gervais.

I read Oliver Stone and Val Kilmer are also in trouble, apparently an actress came in to an audition and Val got into character and beat her badly while Oliver watches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

ps3lover wrote:
    I read Oliver Stone and Val Kilmer are also in trouble, apparently an actress came in to an audition and Val got into character and beat her badly while Oliver watches.

The Doors so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

ps3lover wrote: »
    A source would be nice.

That's the biggest issue with a lot of these "witch hunts". A lot of people who are guilty are rightfully going to be given the spotlight, but a lot of "innocent" people are going to be dragged under too.

That's the biggest issue with a lot of these "witch hunts". A lot of people who are guilty are rightfully going to be given the spotlight, but a lot of "innocent" people are going to be dragged under too.

And aggressively shouting at someone on the set is not the same as trying to rape someone. I would say a lot of the time scaring the **** out of an actor could be a great way to get them to perform better. Most of the actors who've worked for Stone hate him for this this kind of thing but also say it brought out the best in them

Pelvis wrote: »
    A source would be nice.

I meant to post a source, had it copied and everything, then forgot.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/actress-claims-val-kilmer-physically-assaulted-article-1.3587997

Val Kilmer is known for being a difficult dick, he once put a cigarette out on a camera mans face on the film The Island of Doctor Moreau but the story being reported is a nothing story. It's an actor getting carried away in the moment, happens all the time. I doubt there was any malice or other motive to it other than Kilmer getting into character and trying to make it look real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Another horrible story...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41760069

how much drugs, was this guy on...

Norwegian actress and model Natassia Malthe has accused Harvey Weinstein of raping her in a London hotel room after the 2008 Bafta awards ceremony.
    She told a press conference in New York she met Weinstein at an after party and felt pressured into telling him she was staying at the Sanderson Hotel.
    Malthe alleges Weinstein banged on her door, she let him in and he raped her.
    Weinstein has previously issued a statement saying he denies all allegations of non-consensual sex.

• Advertisement
Advertisement