Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Tony EH wrote: »
    Nice try in an effort to turn this into a Clinton bashing thread, but no dice. Clinton and the Dems made have been on the recieving end of donations from Weinstein, but there is zero evidence or reason to believe that she'd know anything about a man in a business that she dosen't operate in herself.

Nice try to disassociate a major donor and fundraiser for HC over 17yrs of her political life, not to mention private Hollywood fundraising events and social parties, one in June 2016 directly raised $1.8m to support her POTUS attempt.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-11_at_19.23.19.png

Weinstein had 'indisputably ingratiated himself into the highest levels of Democratic power' according to many.

Obama also rubbed shoulders with the Sloth creature, when he visited the WhiteHouse in 2013. Michelle described him as a "wonderful human being, a good friend and just a powerhouse."

Again it seems the Clintons have been associating with some bad apples, and all with a similar theme I.e. Epstein, Weiner, Weinstein...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

A lot of big heads are going to roll over the next year or so. This is really just the beginning.

Not that simple. Weinstein probably had enough power to destroy these people's lives. Plus it'd be just their word against one of the biggest names in the industry. Also you're assuming that nobody came forward. We don't know that. It'll likely become apparent that many did, but were push them aside.

It's the exact same as Saville and his hundreds of victims. Many came forward with complaints. All were rubbished. It took him dying for everything to come out.

Well I blame those who stayed silent, be it man or woman. They enabled the abuse when they could have helped stop it. I dont care what you think will happen to your career. If you knew and didnt move to stop it happening to the next person you are totally not blameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

You could tell Weinstein was a pervert just by looking at him:pac:

Dr Brown wrote: »
    You could tell Weinstein was a pervert just by looking at him:pac:

Again, referring back to that Have I Got News For You clip - he was hiding in plain sight.

Nice try to disassociate a major donor and fundraiser for HC over 17yrs of her political life, not to mention private Hollywood fundraising events and social parties, one in June 2016 directly raised $1.8m to support her POTUS attempt.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-11_at_19.23.19.png

Weinstein had 'indisputably ingratiated himself into the highest levels of Democratic power' according to many.

Obama also rubbed shoulders with the Sloth creature, when he visited the WhiteHouse in 2013. Michelle described him as a "wonderful human being, a good friend and just a powerhouse."

Again it seems the Clintons have been associating with some bad apples, and all with a similar theme I.e. Epstein, Weiner, Weinstein...

Since you mentioned Clinton --

Donald+Trump+Harvey+Weinstein+New+York+Premiere+cb8oOG4XzZUl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

There is something very weird when you have pig ugly old men hanging around with young attractive women.

Yea, I never knew what he looked like before. He's an exceedingly ugly man.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Nice try to disassociate a major donor and fundraiser for HC over 17yrs of her political life,

Go away. Nobody's feeding you. ;)

Dr Brown wrote: »
    There is something very weird when you have pig ugly old men hanging around with young attractive women.

Money can get you a lot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement

well at the least he got his comeuppance. he has the live out the rest of his life as a pariah. He could maybe even end up in jail. What a fall from the position he was in.
    no doubt other people will come out about other such scumbags in Hollywood. Doesn't forgive the complete hypocrisy of the industry at all but I'm sure that it will change things in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Tony EH wrote: »
    Go away. Nobody's feeding you. ;)

Sorry was just stating what appears to be a developing ugly theme/association (Epstein, Weiner, Weinstein).

Ok, lets talk about fluffy bunnies and rainbows instead, here's a very nice picture of a unicorn:

Screen_Shot_2017-10-11_at_19.55.42.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mod note: everyone please watch the standard of posting. This isn't AH. This also isn't Politics. Take the Hilary/Trump talk elsewhere. Thanks

There's a lot of similarities between the Weinstein case and Jimmy Saville in the UK. It seemed to have been a known secret by people in Hollywood. Same way it was supposedly a known secret in the BBC.

It was largely rumour and allegation involved in both cases. Can't say I was surprised at either case when they eventually came to light.

The problem is that if you went around believing every rumour and allegation about somebody in entertaiment business, everyone would be getting "outed" as some sort of monster.

The key thing is people coming forward and a atmosphere of being able to come forward and a lot of people just can't, won't, or feel they just won't be believed. But, without that, these sociopaths can repeatedly get away with treating people they see as beneath them/targets in the way they do.

"Open secrets", rumours and allegations are just that, until some proof can be aquired, or at least people come forward. Without the proof, they simply remain open secrets, rumours and allegation.

Saville always creeped me out, so when the stories about him came out, the cap fit. But, remember he's not around to argue his case, or face the case against him, so we'll probably never really know what he got up to.

Weinstein hasn't said anything on his behalf, so, more than likely many of the allegations against him are true. Plus, to me, he's always fit the cliche of the Hollywood movie mogul and everything that goes along with that. So, again, the cap fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Fair play to him, better to apologise and be done with it than let anyone run with it and make a mountain of.

With the Ben Affleck tweets, which came first? The women or his?

With the Ben Affleck tweets, which came first? The women or his?

Hilarie Burton's reply to that girls tweet was yesterday Affleck's apology came a few hours ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Fair play to him, better to apologise and be done with it than let anyone run with it and make a mountain of.

Ah stop, he had to apologise. Had he apologised straight after it happened then maybe it's gone him a pat on the back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Pelvis wrote: »
    Ah stop, he had to apologise. Had he apologised straight after it happened then maybe it's gone him a pat on the back.

Yeah, should of. Didn't though. At least he had the decency to do it now and without spoofing about addiction issues or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Yeah, should of. Didn't though. At least he had the decency to do it now and without spoofing about addiction issues or whatever.

It's not decency, it's mitigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i'm fascinated to see how many more films GP made with mirmax after he was inappropriate with her in 94.
    he directed her oscar performance afaik

I wonder will we get a statement from Disney as Miramax was under their umbrella for the guts of 20 years.

Tigger wrote: »
    i'm fascinated to see how many more films GP made with mirmax after he was inappropriate with her in 94.
    he directed her oscar performance afaik

Weinstein is a very powerful indie producer and studio head, not a director. With the death of mid-budget movies, choosing not to work with him would probably mean choosing to work very little if at all. Not everyone was getting leading roles in blockbusters like Angelina.

https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/status/918193451006431232

He is now being attacked on twitter for doing nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

What did Seth say at the oscars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Weinstein is a very powerful indie producer and studio head, not a director. With the death of mid-budget movies, choosing not to work with him would probably mean choosing to work very little if at all. Not everyone was getting leading roles in blockbusters like Angelina.

ok but look at the video a couole of pages back
    GP said she was upset by his behaviour in 94 yet she kept making movies with him
    so was she sleeping with him which its always been suggested that starlets did to get their paydays or was she turning him down but getting the jobs anyway in which case isnt it simply a case of him chancing his arm
    the three alleged rape cases are totally different.

i like Trumps statement that hes met HW and hes not surprised :)

What did Seth say at the oscars?

Right after the Oscar nominations, he said how the nominated women no longer have to pretend to be attracted to Harvey Weinstein.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Will the studios respond to this at some level? Perhaps not about the man himself, but they surely must make a commitment to ensure their workplaces are safe, that they have good reporting protocols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How many companies was Weinstein involved with, I only thought Miramax and Weinstein Company?

Advertisement