Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭josip

MrDerp wrote: »
    Bucket? Bombs away I'd say.

Agreed, the prevailing winds would carry it to the river from that height.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 peter.teahan

Great photo. Which FB Page was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

josip wrote: »
    It's because of it both being a navigable river and the elevation on the Kilkenny side.
    The land immediately adjacent to the river on the Wexford side is quite boggy so it also made sense to have that part elevated.
    Someone here I think, quoted one of the engineers, that coming off such a height on the Kilkenny meant that they effectively had half the bridge built already.
    We're a helpful lot on our side.

Will the Dunbrody ship be able to pass underneath with masts up if it ever decides to go for a jaunt?

Will the Dunbrody ship be able to pass underneath with masts up if it ever decides to go for a jaunt?

Very interesting question.
    Navigation clearance for the bridge is 36m. Would that be high or low tide?
    http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/conferences_and_seminars/nrc/nra-nrc-2017/5.4-Joe-Shinkwin-P-OLoughlin-N25-New-Ross-Bypass-TII-National-Roads-Conference-2017-.pdf

The height of the Dunbrody mainmast above the deck is 33.5m
    https://books.google.ie/books?id=QgMRudqoLGQC&pg=PA175&lpg=PA175&dq=Dunbrody+mast+height&source=bl&ots=9UAyWQEL7g&sig=aXqyLaMu9sw8T_T-B4zOXW7xSj0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiSsIX5z-PeAhUGKewKHRYbD9sQ6AEwDHoECAAQAQ#v=onepage&q=Dunbrody%20mast%20height&f=false

So unless the bridge clearance height is a hwm figure then it looks like the Dunbrody is stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Clearance is 36m at MHWS.

The mean high water springs (MHWS) is the highest level that spring tides reach on the average over a period of time so she should get through at low tide though I doubt she’ll ever leave her berth.

• Advertisement

This time last year Sean Connick said they hoped to get her into dry dock for maintenance.

Would that be across the river at Ross Company or would they have to go elsewhere for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

This time last year Sean Connick said they hoped to get her into dry dock for maintenance.

Would that be across the river at Ross Company or would they have to go elsewhere for that?

It was done earlier this year. She was moved to the New Ross shipyard dry dock for I think about six or eight weeks to be completely repainted etc.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/magnificent-dunbrody-returns-after-250000-refurbishment-36518136.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 14/11/18
    if7NRVy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭NedNew2

Recent video

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

m17 wrote: »
    if7NRVy.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

m17 wrote: »
    if7NRVy.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Now, that's what I call a Skew Bridge..

hqdefault.jpg

"Escher! Get your ass out here!"

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Recent video

They probably are making some progress, but it seems like we have been looking at roughly the same pics for the last six months or more. No sign of the middle section being done.

You'd imagine it would take another year or more at this rate !

The barrow crossing
    tnxsXvE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

VR6 wrote: »
    They probably are making some progress, but it seems like we have been looking at roughly the same pics for the last six months or more. No sign of the middle section being done.
    If you look closely you'll see the pillars being built from which the cables will be hanging off.

To get an idea of the timeline, a look at the Waterford bypass thread on here might help - that has a similar (if smaller) bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 makowski

22 months estimated work left

makowski wrote: »
    22 months estimated work left

Who's estimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Will this bridge have a separate walkway/footpath?

hi5 wrote: »
    Will this bridge have a separate walkway/footpath?

As far as I know, no.

The barrow crossing
    1V9RNWG.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

With Applegreen refused planning permission at Ballymacar, anyone know where the nearest services outlet is going to be on this stretch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

How much time will all these roads save in time from Waterford to Gorey non peak?

How much time will all these roads save in time from Waterford to Gorey non peak?

Not being smart, but zero saving on that route at non-peak times.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Not being smart, but zero saving on that route at non-peak times.
    Hardly. There will certainly be a time saving on going from the N30 to Glenmore at a constant 100km/h instead of having to slow down in New Ross and go through the town. Same with Enniscorthy being able to avoid the town. It won't be massive but it'll certainly help and save fuel.

marno21 wrote: »
    Hardly. There will certainly be a time saving on going from the N30 to Glenmore at a constant 100km/h instead of having to slow down in New Ross and go through the town. Same with Enniscorthy being able to avoid the town. It won't be massive but it'll certainly help and save fuel.

Big savings if you're driving a HGV alright by not having to go the Ring Road in Ross, but for everyone else, no more than a couple of minutes.

The OP mentioned non-peak times, so I'm assuming no traffic delays.
    Best of luck keeping a constant 100km/h at the roundabout at the bottom of Glenmore Hill coming from Waterford taking the 3rd exit.
    And let me know how you get on going through the Ballymacar roundabout and the N30 tie in roundabout at 100.
    https://www.bamireland.ie/our-work/bam-civil/roads/n25-new-ross-ppp-scheme/

If you follow the Enniscorthy bypass, it's longer than today's route.
    https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/sites/default/files/content/Roads/M11%20Gorey%20to%20Enniscorthy%20PPP%20Scheme%20Route%20Map.pdf
    Most people I know go Carley's Bridge and the Moyne at the moment.
    The new bypass comes back on itself after the Bunclody road roundabaout.
    I expect it will be heavier on fuel due to the longer distance and the higher speed on the M11 part.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

marno21 wrote: »

I'd also add that in my time driving through Ross, peak or non peak time, it's rare not to have a HGV or some other slow moving vehicle in front. Not alone will the bypass mean that these vehicles won't be trying to manoeuvre through Ross but dual carriageway will also allow passing opportunities.

The barrow crossing 07/12/18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Really impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

There's a small section of new road NE of New Ross, and it includes a new Roundabout. Unfortunately, any small gain is offset by the awful roadworks at the junction of the N30/R700.

I know they're necessary, and I hope they're completed soon!

Advertisement