Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

And did as it was gradually extended towards Athlone.

Why is this practice not adopted everywhere?

Honestly,

Ending at a junction, as happened at Gort, makes the most sense.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The end of the M20 in Limerick and the planned extension to Rathkeale will end in a lane drop. The N20 DC in Cork does, and the N22 Ballincollig bypass also.

It should be implemented more, especially given the large amount of unnecessary roundabouts on DCs in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Free flow is the name of the game - more speed with less risk of accidents. If the planners know that onward extensions are planned it makes sense to build the join at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    The only place that i know of where that didn't happen was when the original section of the M18 stopped at Gort...they finished at a grade separated junction...;)

Original plans was to stop at a roundabout (well, one of the roundabouts on a half built grade separated junction). With the CPOs already done for the next section they very very sensibly decided to build the whole junction to avoid any tie-in mess!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Original plans was to stop at a roundabout (well, one of the roundabouts on a half built grade separated junction). With the CPOs already done for the next section they very very sensibly decided to build the whole junction to avoid any tie-in mess!

That's right, gotta remember that when Ennis-Gort opened in 2010 at the time it was thought that the last part to Athenry was going to open within like 3-4 years. So they thought the junction wouldn't be incomplete for long. Ended up being 7 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Here's pics of the earthworks form the n25 new Ross website September 17IMAG7038_zpseizrwthy.jpg2IMAG7037_zpskieideur.jpg3IMAG7036_zpsisrgsvfv.jpg4IMAG7035_zpst3j10775.jpg5IMAG7033_zps1oeymdce.jpg6IMAG7032_zps12a6f9a6.jpg7IMAG7031_zps2gdcehok.jpg8IMAG7030_zpssnafargj.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

marno21 wrote: »
    Bridge progress update @ end of September 2017:

works-completed-Sept-2017.jpg

Plans for Q4 2017:

Seems to be motoring along well!

Bridge progress update @ end of October 2017.

works-complete-end-Oct-2017.jpg

Coming along nicely. 14 months or so until opening

Barrow bridge west approachIMAG9007_zpsltfyooqk.jpg

N25 bypass new Ross drone overview 12/11/17https://youtu.be/W-oOg8Khtv4

The bridge deck 09/11/17IMAG9008_zps4gvebp6w.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

That drone video is the first time I've really noticed the width. Is it one lane each way? Or does the deck get wider on top of what's there?

Or maybe I'm mistaken in how narrow it looks to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

JohnC. wrote: »
    That drone video is the first time I've really noticed the width. Is it one lane each way? Or does the deck get wider on top of what's there?

Pretty sure it will be a dual carraigeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Yeah, I had a look at the site, which I could have done first I suppose. That does say dual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

It will be Type 1 Single...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Middle Man wrote: »
    It will be Type 1 Single...

http://www.n25newross.ie

Single? Some sections of the bypass are single but not all.

Glenmore-R733 GSJ will be Type 1/motorway standard (planned to open as dual carriageway)
    R733-N30 will be Type 2/2+2

marno21 wrote: »
    Glenmore-R733 GSJ will be Type 1/motorway standard (planned to open as dual carriageway)
    R733-N30 will be Type 2/2+2
    I was only joking about the SC Type 1... spec on the bridge... :D

No, the bridge itself AFAIK will be HQDC standard, but with verge strips rather than hard shoulders - a bit like the A Road DCs in England. I guess the pavement widths will be around 9.0m - of course, it would be very costly to include hard shoulders. That said, I do think the HQDC standard should have been used to as far as the current N25 (from where the N30 will split).

Here's some pics of the barrow crossing form the n25 newross website October 17IMAG9100_zpsgl5ccjnf.jpg2IMAG9101_zpsiiuozqpv.jpg3IMAG9102_zpsuccjkrwh.jpg4IMAG9103_zpsyuarw7bz.jpg5IMAG9104_zpstmzk7amv.jpg6IMAG9105_zps0jkjkf9n.jpg

The bridge deckIMAG9077_zpswdcmneba.jpeg

Structures form the n25 new Ross website October 17IMAG9113_zpsxruagtte.jpg2IMAG9114_zpsdh5g1jeh.jpg3IMAG9115_zps2i2vkqtm.jpg4IMAG9116_zpsdrbqtcay.jpg5IMAG9110_zps6su4pcug.jpg6IMAG9111_zpsa5otn39p.jpg

• Advertisement

IMAG9118_zpsu6dl9tpm.jpgworks completed at the end of November,13 months to opening roll on Jan 19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭josip

What do the letters A, P and TP mean in the progress pic?
    Pillar?...

josip wrote: »
    What do the letters A, P and TP mean in the progress pic?
    Pillar?...
    Abutment, Pier, Temporary Pier...

So the Temporary Piers will be removed when construction is finished?
    Wouldn't be cheaper/easier just to leave them in place? (Not a civil eng :))

josip wrote: »
    So the Temporary Piers will be removed when construction is finished?
    Wouldn't be cheaper/easier just to leave them in place? (Not a civil eng :))

Temporary pillers are also known as falsework,falsework consists of temporary structures used in construction to support spanning or arched structures in order to hold the component in place until it's construction is sufficiently advanced to support it's self,falsework also includes temporary support structures for formwork used to mould concrete to form a desired shape
    Here is a glossary of bridge construction terms
    IMAG9122_zpsyilmnepf.jpg

Why does a TP have to be removed when the bridge is complete?
    Is it because the loads and stresses are not balanced and that the extra support makes the bridge less stable?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Please do not use this thread to discuss Road Traffic Incidents - particularly those involving fatalities. It is not as if such discussions will result in changes to the particular road and could be considered as a form of gawping.

It is not part of the Infrastructure Charter, and it is disrespectful to those personally involved, and could cause them significant distress.

If posters think such discussions are helpful, then conduct them in the Motoring Forums.

I have decided to delete the posts regarding the RTI as there was significant and tragic loss of life. I wish not to cause any additional grief to those involved in any way.

Thank you.

The bridge deck 03/12/17IMAG10009_zpsqt9sg1jy.jpg

JohnC. wrote: »

Here's the next phase of the project when the falsework is removedhttps://youtu.be/TBrxRvJ8vVo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Here's some drone footage posted on Youtube from a few weeks ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-oOg8Khtv4

Advertisement