Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-02-2016, 01:26   #166
Inquitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by January View Post
Nah, I flew on a BA 747 last year, now they're ancient.
I'd rather fly on a BA747 across the Atlantic than a AA/EI 757-200, I'll give you that one, the 747's are definitely older than than the 757's!
Advertisement
20-02-2016, 01:29   #167
Inquitus

Quote:
They charge your card the full amount for what the flight would be missing out the dub sector.
Can you provide some backup for that? I wouldn't imagine that's legal, you pay for a service, if you decide at any point not to take up further flights they are within their rights to cancel further legs in the booking but certainly not within their rights to charge you an additional fee for missing the dub, or any other, sector.
20-02-2016, 10:20   #168
Pat Dunne

Quote:
Nah, I flew on a BA 747 last year, now they're ancient.
They maybe ancient, but they're still "The Queen of the Skies", to my mind.
20-02-2016, 10:28   #169
Pat Dunne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquitus View Post
Can you provide some backup for that? I wouldn't imagine that's legal, you pay for a service, if you decide at any point not to take up further flights they are within their rights to cancel further legs in the booking but certainly not within their rights to charge you an additional fee for missing the dub, or any other, sector.
This would all depend on the type of ticket you purshased. Flexible fares are usually more expensive, but with T&C's that have a reasonable amount of wriggle room. Then there is the low cost/no frills/budget" type offerings, which usually contain very ridgid T&C's, with no wriggle room and penalties if not fully complied with.

Which ever you have decided to purchased it up to you to comply. It might sound tedious, but always read the "fine print" and know what you're getting into.

Last edited by Pat Dunne; 20-02-2016 at 10:36.
20-02-2016, 10:40   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquitus View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified that I assumed that's what happened, not that that was what actually happened. The proof of the TA being fined for it though is on a big thread on the BAEC forum on flyertalk.
Advertisement
21-02-2016, 12:26   #171
A Dub in Glasgo

I done LCY to Paddington a couple of times before DLR to Canning Town -Jubilee line to Baker Street and then Bakerloo line to Paddington. Once there I would get the Heathrow Express to Heathrow
21-02-2016, 13:34   #172
Mebuntu

LHR T5 to DUB

I flew BA LHR-DUB through T5 for the first time last week. Photo taken at Security entry but at no point was I asked to produce ID, in fact, at the Gate we were specifically told that no ID was required and just to concentrate on putting our feet on the yellow markers and look at the camera. (You have to do a 180, well a 160, to look at the camera )

Is this normal procedure? On hundreds of flights UK-IRL EX LHR T1, LGW, STN, LTN, BHX, MAN etc I can't ever remember ID not being requested.
21-02-2016, 13:53   #173
A Dub in Glasgo

It is normal procedure for BA. I assume your hundreds of flights previously were on other airlines?
21-02-2016, 14:38   #174
Mebuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dub in Glasgo View Post
It is normal procedure for BA. I assume your hundreds of flights previously were on other airlines?
Thanks for replying but I assume you meant to say "It is normal procedure for BA since LHR-DUB moved to T5" because I flew countless times LHR-DUB with BA up to the day they left T1 and always, without exception, had to produce ID at the Gate.
Advertisement
21-02-2016, 14:50   #175
LXFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebuntu View Post
I flew BA LHR-DUB through T5 for the first time last week. Photo taken at Security entry but at no point was I asked to produce ID, in fact, at the Gate we were specifically told that no ID was required and just to concentrate on putting our feet on the yellow markers and look at the camera. (You have to do a 180, well a 160, to look at the camera )

Is this normal procedure? On hundreds of flights UK-IRL EX LHR T1, LGW, STN, LTN, BHX, MAN etc I can't ever remember ID not being requested.
Did you check in online or at a desk at the airport?

BA/bmi certainly did not always do passport checks at T1.

The photo check at security/gate is nothing to do with the airline but rather it's a check by the UK Immigration authorities on all domestic/CTA passengers making sure that international transit passengers are not circumventing immigration.
21-02-2016, 17:16   #176
Mebuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxflyer View Post
Did you check in online or at a desk at the airport?
All previous occasions BA (and previously BMI) it was a mixture of online and check-in machine at T1. This time it was at a check-in machine at T5. Can't even remember when I was last at a check-in desk it's so long ago.

Quote:
BA/bmi certainly did not always do passport checks at T1.
In my experience they always did at the gate on boarding. On one occasion my passport was away for renewal but they accepted my Driving Licence instead (As did DUB Immigration + Boarding Card).

Not making a big fuss about this but was just curious because this was the first time ever (since security became such a big thing) that no ID was requested.
21-02-2016, 18:33   #177
LXFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebuntu View Post
All previous occasions BA (and previously BMI) it was a mixture of online and check-in machine at T1. This time it was at a check-in machine at T5. Can't even remember when I was last at a check-in desk it's so long ago.

In my experience they always did at the gate on boarding. On one occasion my passport was away for renewal but they accepted my Driving Licence instead (As did DUB Immigration + Boarding Card).

Not making a big fuss about this but was just curious because this was the first time ever (since security became such a big thing) that no ID was requested.
No they certainly did not always check ID at the gate in T1 - plenty of times I boarded with no ID check at the gate on bmi flights.

It's less of an issue I guess given that it's either a CTA or UK domestic flight (same procedures apply to both), and you have the double photo check. If you make it to the gate and your photo matches with the first one, then you have either made it through UK immigration or come from landside UK.

If you are an Irish or UK citizen you don't need a passport, so a driver's licence is sufficient ID.

Last edited by LXFlyer; 21-02-2016 at 18:36.
25-02-2016, 12:01   #178
boccy23

Trying to see how busy T2 will be on Sunday at 4PM when I fly but I cannot get a definitive listing of all flights leaving at this time. Does such a listing exist?
25-02-2016, 13:35   #179
Tenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by boccy23 View Post
Trying to see how busy T2 will be on Sunday at 4PM when I fly but I cannot get a definitive listing of all flights leaving at this time. Does such a listing exist?
Look at DAA website and just filter for all departures on Sunday.
T2 is a lot quieter in the afternoon. Majority of long haul flights are pre-12pm.
Thanks from:
25-02-2016, 23:45   #180
Ruu

I am thinking of flying from Atlanta to Berlin (Tegel) and the stop is in Amsterdam, most of the flights have a layover of between 1hr-1h 30 mins in Amsterdam. Is this too short to clear? I'll only have cabin baggage I expect. I have never flown or connected into AMS. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion