Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Was the booking done online? I've never booked a 2/3 hop trip like that online, I imagine you'd need to know exactly what flights and times you're going for and then book pronto. I'd say some might leave it to a good travel agent. Nice trip you have there, irrespective of how it was booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

chinwag wrote: »
    Was the booking done online? I've never booked a 2/3 hop trip like that online, I imagine you'd need to know exactly what flights and times you're going for and then book pronto. I'd say some might leave it to a good travel agent. Nice trip you have there, irrespective of how it was booked.

Have you ever heard of a connecting flight? You fly SNN-JFK-MCO with the same airline, just get off the aircraft and make your way to the next departure gate, your check in bags are transferred for you, and if you are delayed your connection is protected, so they will put you on the next available flight.

No need for a travel agent, I would see it as an unnecessary expense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

chinwag wrote: »

Our travel dates aren't really flexible, had alerts set up on skyscanner, just checked it this morning but would have been checking everyday since flights became available, price drop of over €300 in total on previous day, I'm a planner of anal proportions lol, KLM site is actually quite user friendly I thought, I had narrowed it down to either United or Delta out of SNN so was familiar with flight times,

Got direct flights with AL, DUB-MCO in 2011 for €1845 for 2 adults, two kids but that's a few years ago now

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Yeah, heard of a connecting flight alright. Didn't realise that online booking could be done that handy.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm travelling to Reykjavik with Wow in a few days. I've read some horrific reviews of Wow online - in fact, it's difficult to find positive reviews. That said, I'm well used to hearing poor reviews about Ryanair but I've never had a problem. I'm aware that KEF is a bit of a disaster as it's probably over subscribed.

Has anyone flown Wow and what did you make of them?

I'll be flying out of KEF to LHR with BA so opinions on KEF would also be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'm travelling to Reykjavik with Wow in a few days. I've read some horrific reviews of Wow online - in fact, it's difficult to find positive reviews. That said, I'm well used to hearing poor reviews about Ryanair but I've never had a problem. I'm aware that KEF is a bit of a disaster as it's probably over subscribed.

Has anyone flown Wow and what did you make of them?

I'll be flying out of KEF to LHR with BA so opinions on KEF would also be appreciated.
    All I know about Wow is....expect to be delayed ! They are a new airline and seem enthusiastic to sell as many flights as possible! However they seem to keep a very tight schedule, one that dosent allow much leeway for delays and they pick up some horrific knock on delays as a result !
    I've not heard anything negative about KEF, It's one of those airport that has had passenger numbers expand rapidly! I guess ensure you allow enough time for security etc

Just to follow up.

I flew with Wow today from DUB to KEF. It couldn't have been better. On time departure, clean aircraft, friendly crew.

Arrival in KEF was also excellent. Minimal delay disembarking, only a few minutes wait at the baggage carousel and no queues anywhere.

Maybe I got lucky but based on my experience today I have to give a big thumbs up to to both Wow Air and Keflavik Airport.

It's now midnight here in Iceland and it's still bright enough outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm collecting someone at Dublin Terminal 2 tomorrow, but I'm not finding much information on the airport website

How long would it take to walk from a short term car park to a place where you can meet people coming off a plane? Is it a place where people coming off a flight have to go past? I can't get in contact with the person I'm collecting as she's coming from China without any type of Irish phone

Never been at any airport so totally clueless on how things work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm collecting someone at Dublin Terminal 2 tomorrow, but I'm not finding much information on the airport website

How long would it take to walk from a short term car park to a place where you can meet people coming off a plane? Is it a place where people coming off a flight have to go past? I can't get in contact with the person I'm collecting as she's coming from China without any type of Irish phone

Never been at any airport so totally clueless on how things work

Budget for 15 minutes from taking a ticket at the T2 short term entry barrier to the time when you (hopefully) plop your bottom on a seat by the arrivals door. t2 short term can get fairly busy so you just have to keep going up and around to find a space.

The arrivals area is a single space with seats on both sides of the door. If you get there early and get a seat near the door you can wait for your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Marcusm wrote: »
    Budget for 15 minutes from taking a ticket at the T2 short term entry barrier to the time when you (hopefully) plop your bottom on a seat by the arrivals door. t2 short term can get fairly busy so you just have to keep going up and around to find a space.

The arrivals area is a single space with seats on both sides of the door. If you get there early and get a seat near the door you can wait for your friend.

That's not so bad so

Thanks for that, not as worried about the day now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Just to follow up.

I flew with Wow today from DUB to KEF. It couldn't have been better. On time departure, clean aircraft, friendly crew.

Arrival in KEF was also excellent. Minimal delay disembarking, only a few minutes wait at the baggage carousel and no queues anywhere.

Maybe I got lucky but based on my experience today I have to give a big thumbs up to to both Wow Air and Keflavik Airport.

It's now midnight here in Iceland and it's still bright enough outside![/quote

Did you check in online with wow air or at the airport?
    And if online how long before your flight did you check in? Thanks

Lackey wrote: »

Did you check in online with wow air or at the airport?
    And if online how long before your flight did you check in? Thanks
    Online check in is not possible with Wow Air from DUB - I'm not sure if it's possible at other airports but I don't think so. You have to check in at the airport.

And a follow up on KEF: I travelled from KEF to LHR. Te queue at the BA bag drop was slow until more staff (Swissport) arrived to speed things up. KEF is small but compact. I'd read negative reviews but found the airport quiet, calm and efficient. The flight was delayed by 45 mins due to an aircraft that went ech in LHR so nothing to do with KEF.

All in all, I had no problems with KEF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Just to follow up.

It's now midnight here in Iceland and it's still bright enough outside!

I flew with WOW from DUB to KEF last summer and my experience was the same. Only thing I wasn't too impressed with was the price and their tacky sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Hi everyone

Travelling United from Heathrow to Chicago next month. Just wondering what kind of plane I'll have and has anyone any experience of this flight. Thanks

Hi everyone

Travelling United from Heathrow to Chicago next month. Just wondering what kind of plane I'll have and has anyone any experience of this flight. Thanks

Its a 767 or 777, what is your flight number?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Hi everyone

To be honest aircraft type is usually noted on your travel itinery. If not then it can be looked up on united booking website if you look up the flight number on the day of travel.

Look up seatguru.com for some reviews of the united aircraft. Could be B767 or B777.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Thanks lads it's a 767 300. How would this compare to the A330 my only other transatlantic experience?

Thanks lads it's a 767 300. How would this compare to the A330 my only other transatlantic experience?
    Very similar I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Hey Guys, anyone have any idea what the Business class on the Aer Lingus 757's is like? Looking at gift flights for someone's 70th they are not a great traveller and it's the most direct route I can get them to Toronto

I flew with WOW from DUB to KEF last summer and my experience was the same. Only thing I wasn't too impressed with was the price and their tacky sense of humour.
    The tacky sense of humour is questionable alright! I was happy enough with the price - €480 for two adults and two children in July - one way. It was the only direct flight from DUB so I suppose that gives them licence to charge a bit more. It was €650 to fly from KEF to LHR a week later with BA if that's any use as a comparison.

I found KEF a relaxed and quiet airport to depart from. There's not much in the way of shopping or food (enough but little choice) but it is a small airport.

• Advertisement

Fattes wrote: »
    Hey Guys, anyone have any idea what the Business class on the Aer Lingus 757's is like? Looking at gift flights for someone's 70th they are not a great traveller and it's the most direct route I can get them to Toronto

Same as on the A330!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭VG31

Fattes wrote: »

Google Street View see inside: http://aerling.us/1Vi0xMC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

VG31 wrote: »
    Google Street View see inside: http://aerling.us/1Vi0xMC

Thanks, really appreciate that! Very helpful. I hope Karma delivers you a good Tuesday as a reward.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Locker10a wrote: »
    Same as on the A330!

Yup. Think they upgraded all the B757 over the winter season just gone. Theres only 12 seats in J Class on the B757 so prob got to have a very exclusive feel to it too.
    No wifi however, if thats your thing.

Flying from Dublin to Newcastle with Ryanair tomorrow, gonna just use the boarding passes from the phone. Has anyone had any negative experiences of this or does it work perfectly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Flying from Dublin to Newcastle with Ryanair tomorrow, gonna just use the boarding passes from the phone. Has anyone had any negative experiences of this or does it work perfectly?

Do this all the time on that route. No problems at all.

One tip is to screenshot your qr code. Much easier to get at your gallery than the ryanair app..

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

crisco10 wrote: »
    One tip is to screenshot your qr code. Much easier to get at your gallery than the ryanair app..

Or if you have an iPhone add it to Apple Wallet and it'll be automatically on your lock screen the day of your flight. Dead handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kennsmith

I have booked ticket for holiday under my name not including middle name. I recieved my new passport today and my middle name is on it. Will this hinder my travel in any way?? Travelling with Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭klub44

Kennsmith wrote: »
    I have booked ticket for holiday under my name not including middle name. I recieved my new passport today and my middle name is on it. Will this hinder my travel in any way?? Travelling with Ryanair

Wrong thread, you should call them immediately to sort this out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

The tacky sense of humour is questionable alright! I was happy enough with the price - €480 for two adults and two children in July - one way. It was the only direct flight from DUB so I suppose that gives them licence to charge a bit more. It was €650 to fly from KEF to LHR a week later with BA if that's any use as a comparison.

I found KEF a relaxed and quiet airport to depart from. There's not much in the way of shopping or food (enough but little choice) but it is a small airport.

Sorry one more question, I've googled but I'm still not 100%
    Do I need a tourist visa travelling to Iceland?

Advertisement