Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

Heathrow is fine to Transfer in, I did it last year and it was a very pleasant experience. 3 hrs is plenty, security twice last year in August c10am and c7am during the week took less than 2 mins. There's lots of seating and shops, unusually for Heathrow and Gatwick T2 has seating by the gate and tells you early enough so you can get away from the shopping area. Best place for cheap grub like a sandwich is by the Aer Lingus gates (wh smith I think).

I'd happily transfer regularly through Heathrow any time, Gatwick on the other hand I hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

All that hassle to go to somewhere like Heathrow just to save a few bucks! Some people really just look at the cheapest price available instead of paying a few quid more to go from Dublin, clear immigration here and go direct or via one of the many hubs on the east coast.

Saved €500 flying through LHR to IAH. Walked straight through immigration and customs in IAH. Last 4 times I've cleared in America it's been quicker then clearing in Dublin. And transiting in LHR I got a nice United lounge instead of the muck they have stateside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Airplane Man

Heathrow is fine to Transfer in, I did it last year and it was a very pleasant experience. 3 hrs is plenty, security twice last year in August c10am and c7am during the week took less than 2 mins. There's lots of seating and shops, unusually for Heathrow and Gatwick T2 has seating by the gate and tells you early enough so you can get away from the shopping area. Best place for cheap grub like a sandwich is by the Aer Lingus gates (wh smith I think).

I'd happily transfer regularly through Heathrow any time, Gatwick on the other hand I hate.

Yes Heathrow is very easy to transfer through. I found it easy. I also found Gatwick easy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Just wondering if anyone has ordered the upgraded meal on a transatlantic flight with AerLingus recently and if so do they serve the meal before other passengers get their food?
    Always noticed that the vegetarian and gluten free options are always served about an hour before everyone else and often too early into the flight so just wondering if this is the case with the upgraded meal?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has ordered the upgraded meal on a transatlantic flight with AerLingus recently and if so do they serve the meal before other passengers get their food?
    Always noticed that the vegetarian and gluten free options are always served about an hour before everyone else and often too early into the flight so just wondering if this is the case with the upgraded meal?
    We got it last year, very nice indeed, and yes you're served before the main service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

thanks, was it ages before or just first in line when food service started? I was in World traveller plus on BA recently and the pre-ordered meals came out before the drinks service had even started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Patww79 wrote: »

That will have been when DUB flights arrived in Terminal 1. If you take the BA flight you are almost guaranteed to arrive directly into the easiest part of T5 facilitating transfers or with the EI flights which have plenty of options out of T2. The days of truly horrific transfer on connecting tickets should be gone.

Despite that, I'll be arriving into t3 on Saturday after two long hauls and will have to collect bags to recheck in at t5. Still not that much of a hassle as long as you are pre informed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Wait, what? Im not a smoker but this surprises me. Thought the US was all "no smoking within 15 ft of a building door"

• Advertisement

You've miscounted; you need to go through security scanners twice in Dublin plus queue for pre clearance. Precisely the same number as if you had changed planes elsewhere!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tenger wrote: »
    Wait, what? Im not a smoker but this surprises me. Thought the US was all "no smoking within 15 ft of a building door"

Its state by state (and sometimes city by city within those!). Ranges from the distance from door down to states where you can smoke in bars still.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Marcusm wrote: »
    You've miscounted; you need to go through security scanners twice in Dublin plus queue for pre clearance. Precisely the same number as if you had changed planes elsewhere!

Yeah, but at least the security folks in pre-clearance in Dublin aren't the shouty TSA types. They don't try to put you through full body scanners either.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Yeah, but at least the security folks in pre-clearance in Dublin aren't the shouty TSA types. They don't try to put you through full body scanners either.

There are full body scanners and a %age of pax, some preselected by airlines have to go through them. The individuals manning those are also selected and trained by TSA. I'm not criticising pre clearance, by the way.

There are full body scanners and a %age of pax, some preselected by airlines have to go through them.

Ah, I didn't remember those from my last trip, but at least it's not the default route. I presume one can opt out and get a pat down under the same procedure as in the USA?
    The individuals manning those are also selected and trained by TSA.

Yeah, but even in the USA there are noticeable differences between the direct TSA employees and the TSA-trained-but-separately-employed screeners like "Team SFO". They operate to the same standard, but (in my experience anyway) the latter do so with less rudeness and aggression.
    I'm not criticising pre clearance, by the way.

Understood. Everyone has their own preferences for where, when and how they get screened. :)

IRLConor wrote: »
    Ah, I didn't remember those from my last trip, but at least it's not the default route. I presume one can opt out and get a pat down under the same procedure as in the USA?

Yeah, but even in the USA there are noticeable differences between the direct TSA employees and the TSA-trained-but-separately-employed screeners like "Team SFO". They operate to the same standard, but (in my experience anyway) the latter do so with less rudeness and aggression.

Understood. Everyone has their own preferences for where, when and how they get screened. :)

They have restricted the opt out since 1/1/16; if you are selected for it (as at Dublin) then I don't think you can opt out. Where full body scan is the norm - most US airports for all pax except TSA Pre then I think the opt out remains fairly easy.

They have restricted the opt out since 1/1/16; if you are selected for it (as at Dublin) then I don't think you can opt out. Where full body scan is the norm - most US airports for all pax except TSA Pre then I think the opt out remains fairly easy.

Interesting. Good to know. Feckers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Doing one of my usual stints to SFO today. Flight delayed but pilot said that we have he shortest flight time to SFO he has ever encountered at 9 hours 45 minutes. That's about an hour shorter than usual.

What would be the reasons for this? Less of a head wind or new routing?

Of course my flight anxiety kicked in when he said it and I thought "OMG WE ARE DOING SOMETHING THAT HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE AND IT WILL BE TERRIFYING!!"

Incidentally I'm on the flight's wifi and it's clear skies over the Atlantic. Don't usually get to see the ocean when crossing the Atlantic.

One final question. What's the weather/turbulence like on the route today?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

faceman wrote: »

What would be the reasons for this? Less of a head wind or new routing?

One final question. What's the weather/turbulence like on the route today?
    Weather lovely, no jetstream pushing against you. So nice and smooth too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Tenger wrote: »
    Weather lovely, no jetstream pushing against you. So nice and smooth too.

We're about 20 mins to land and we due to land 15 mins early despite taking off nearly an hour late. Very smooth flight. Hope it's the same going home!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

How early do I need to be in Belfast airport before flight to UK. If flight is 7am, can I arrive at 6.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

There are two airports in Belfast. I would leave bare minimum of an hour in an airport I know very well (fly once a week). Between 90 minutes and 2 hours otherwise.

There are two airports in Belfast. I would leave bare minimum of an hour in an airport I know very well (fly once a week). Between 90 minutes and 2 hours otherwise.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The gate closes 25/30mins before departure provided all is ontime, especially in the morning !
    Depending on the airport the que for security could be 15 mins!! So no you need to be earlier than that

Locker10a wrote: »
    The gate closes 25/30mins before departure provided all is ontime, especially in the morning !
    Depending on the airport the que for security could be 15 mins!! So no you need to be earlier than that

An hour should do then, 6am. What you mean security! I've flown out before in George best airport and didn't need 15mins for security. Was awhile back so couldn't remember how much time need to be there before flight.

Is there a bar opened at this time in GB airport

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

If it's like London City an hour should be fine with no bags. I don't fly with bags, so don't know.

• Advertisement

shugy wrote: »
    Locker10a wrote: »

An hour should do then, 6am. What you mean security! I've flown out before in George best airport and didn't need 15mins for security. Was awhile back so couldn't remember how much time need to be there before flight.
    Yes bars are open this early!
    You obviously don't fly often, 15 mins at security is not uncommon, all it takes is to get stuck behind a huge holiday flight of passengers who don't fly often and aren't remotely prepared for security!

Advertisement