Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Letter from Kerry in the post just now that all milking machines will have to be washed by chlorine free detergents from next Feb 28th. It'll be interesting as the local Delaval store isn't currently stocking any chlorine free powders.

are ya sure....?? does Richard call to ya??

well wear and best of luck with ur new machine..... will make jobs like cleaning calf sheds and calving boxes easier!! what can it lift?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Mooooo wrote: »
    If sr is ok I'd milk on, if it's tight I'd sell em on now to help build a bit of cover. Ok here so will milk on. Not sure what to do with the two empty heifers tho

inseminate them.. calve next June and sell?? lads up north with robots that milk ayr would snap them up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

inseminate them.. calve next June and sell?? lads up north with robots that milk ayr would snap them up

we had 4 good young cow not go in calf 2 years and we inseminated them in feb 2019 and they all calved in november 2019 and now they are all back in calf and should be calving in our regular pattern. Now for the big bonus they all had heifer calves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭jaymla627

cosatron wrote: »
    we had 4 good young cow not go in calf 2 years and we inseminated them in feb 2019 and they all calved in november 2019 and now they are all back in calf and should be calving in our regular pattern. Now for the big bonus they all had heifer calves :D

You'd be thrown out of some discussion groups for advocating that type of carry-on, if you have a good solid cow doing 700kgs ms plus yearly with no underlying issues like feet/mastitis/temperament the cost of carrying here over is minuscule compared to calving down heifers, that are a lucky dip at the best of times as how they will turn out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If I was going at that craic I'd have stayed in winter milk. An option alright but looking to tighten up the spring to have the time off Xmas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

are ya sure....?? does Richard call to ya??

well wear and best of luck with ur new machine..... will make jobs like cleaning calf sheds and calving boxes easier!! what can it lift?

2.7t iirc and a 4m boom. Should make cleaning much easier as I can use the tractor and trailer to carry it away after throwing it outside the shed. I can go up in height on the silage pit next year as well so saves on an extension to the pit for another while as well.

I hope herself enjoys her wedding anniversary present:D

Edit: Called into the shop last month and they had no plans to get in chlorine free powders then. I imagine that's changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If I was going at that craic I'd have stayed in winter milk. An option alright but looking to tighten up the spring to have the time off Xmas

Was there any reason why they didn't go in calf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jaymla627 wrote: »
    You'd be thrown out of some discussion groups for advocating that type of carry-on, if you have a good solid cow doing 700kgs ms plus yearly with no underlying issues like feet/mastitis/temperament the cost of carrying here over is minuscule compared to calving down heifers, that are a lucky dip at the best of times as how they will turn out

That suits if you milk year round, we'll have 80% calved here by the end of feb and last one by the 10th of april
    Theres very few we could milk past the middle of December if we want to give them a decent dry period

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

Christmas is cancelled this year. Santy is cocooning.

whelan2 wrote: »

The 2 heifers were incalf just lost the pregnancies. 3 of the 10 cows weren't cycling, should have prob gotten them checked but they slipped thru the cracks in may/june. 6 cows then cycling like clockwork just not holding and another cow served in early may came up empty so I assume embryo loss at some stage.

Before the scanning I had 2 cow's down as empty due to activity but they turned out 3 months in calf and had 2 as in calf that turned up empty so i think its worth it. Hopefully there will be no more losses now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

That suits if you milk year round, we'll have 80% calved here by the end of feb and last one by the 10th of april
    Theres very few we could milk past the middle of December if we want to give them a decent dry period
    When did you start breeding, and when do you thing they will start calving compared to due start of calcing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭visatorro

any one drying off cows what are you dosing with? Was looking at glanbia connect and they have levafas. When you read the withdrawals it says not to use in animals producing milk, does this mean ever or dry them off its ok? Or it just for beef animals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

2.7t iirc and a 4m boom. Should make cleaning much easier as I can use the tractor and trailer to carry it away after throwing it outside the shed. I can go up in height on the silage pit next year as well so saves on an extension to the pit for another while as well.

I hope herself enjoys her wedding anniversary present:D

Edit: Called into the shop last month and they had no plans to get in chlorine free powders then. I imagine that's changed now.

Did you make a new purchase Buford?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

jaymla627 wrote: »

in a small herd, sometimes you have to keep on the good cows if you want to improve your overall herd, these 4 particular cows, were from good dams and i had no heifers out of them and i was very anxious to get a heifer out of one in particular. they peaked around april at between 35 to 40 litres and are still milking strong considering they are nearly 305 days in milk and they will be calving down in January, we start calving in January cause we love torturing ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

dar31 wrote: »
    When did you start breeding, and when do you thing they will start calving compared to due start of calcing

Started the 19th of April due date is the 27th but I'd expect a good 20% will have calved by then

Will probably bring the start of breeding back a week next year
    Going that early due to leaving winter milk and trying get lots of milk out early

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭jaymla627

in a small herd, sometimes you have to keep on the good cows if you want to improve your overall herd, these 4 particular cows, were from good dams and i had no heifers out of them and i was very anxious to get a heifer out of one in particular. they peaked around april at between 35 to 40 litres and are still milking strong considering they are nearly 305 days in milk and they will be calving down in January, we start calving in January cause we love torturing ourselves.

Calved a bunch of older ladies all 5th lactation plus in June/July this year all horsing out the milk again, for the 3 months they spent dry was in a field on a out farm of rough grazing, those type of cows here never dip below 1.9kgs ms even on a 400 plus day lactation so are well worth rolling over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Panch18 wrote: »
    Did you make a new purchase Buford?

Yeah, bought a Kramer teleporter, small machine but plenty big enough for here.

Artic or sideboom? Hope she goes well for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭straight

Exactly. Sometimes your just breeding problems keeping the likes of them around. Sometimes there is a fair enough reason like embryo loss or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭visatorro

jaymla627 wrote:
    Calved a bunch of older ladies all 5th lactation plus in June/July this year all horsing out the milk again, for the 3 months they spent dry was in a field on a out farm of rough grazing, those type of cows here never dip below 1.9kgs ms even on a 400 plus day lactation so are well worth rolling over

WTF, 400 days, rough ground, june/July. Next thing you'll be saying your feeding meal there aswell. Will you get a grip of yourself, the journal will go on fire if you pick it up!

• Advertisement

visatorro wrote: »
    any one drying off cows what are you dosing with? Was looking at glanbia connect and they have levafas. When you read the withdrawals it says not to use in animals producing milk, does this mean ever or dry them off its ok? Or it just for beef animals?

Using albex 10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've sold the winter quota here, but still milk on OAD from mid Dec to early Feb, about a dozen cows calf from mid April on, and had a 2.5yr old heifer calf 2 wks ago, have a 20month old heifer due in 2wks, and a cow due mid Dec, and even got 1 (1/3 je) cow who milked on last spring, turned out to be emply, but still gave 20l all year and only back to 15l now. All them are sins in the teagasc book but I'm happy that I'm still making a profit from all them cows, and until I have the mp stocked at over 3cows/ha I'll keep the likes of them cows 2bh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

smashing - well may she wear for you

Any chance of a few photos on the machinery thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

What model? I've a 580t, mighty machine you won't know yourself. Only issue I'm having is service backup. Farm power don't really want to know and they're also not at all experienced with the brand and at 80+vat an hour it doesn't be long getting expensive to have them tinkering around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Grueller

What do ye all use to treat mastitis Folks? I have a second calver here with it in one quarter. Any sucklers were always multimast tubes and pen and strep. I have marbocyl here,its shorter withdrawal than p&s and probably better too. Does anyone go that way?

Grueller wrote: »
    What do ye all use to treat mastitis Folks? I have a second calver here with it in one quarter. Any sucklers were always multimast tubes and pen and strep. I have marbocyl here,its shorter withdrawal than p&s and probably better too. Does anyone go that way?

Is she sick with it?

Is she sick with it?

No I caught it fairly early I think. Quarter is not hard, nice little bit of corruption followed by clean milk. Not sick and not lame but the quarter is a little tender. Tonight is the 3rd treatment. It was much better this morning but is a bit worse again this evening.

Take a sample before treating If you can, freeze it and take to the vets to get a culture done. Rub on an udder cream and an anti inflammatory such as metacam. A tube then and depending on the case noroclav or similar. They are trying to reduce the usage of marbocyl I think and is most commonly now just used for e-coli type cases.

Take a sample before treating If you can, freeze it and take to the vets to get a culture done. Rub on an udder cream and an anti inflammatory such as metacam. A tube then and depending on the case noroclav or similar. They are trying to reduce the usage of marbocyl I think and is most commonly now just used for e-coli type cases.

Tis used 3 times now!!!! We'll see how it is in the morning and work from there I suppose.

• Advertisement

Tis used 3 times now!!!! We'll see how it is in the morning and work from there I suppose.

I think the anti inflammatory aside from reducing any swelling and pain can aid on getting the tubes to work so I'm told anyway. The udder cream might be as much about the massaging the udder as about what's in the cream itself I spose.

Advertisement