Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

peteeeed wrote: »
    Wild Things
    A guidance counselor loses his job and must fight to get his life back after spurning the advances of a teen socialite who later accuses him of rape.

Might give this another watch. For the articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Looking forward to sons of Sam, hopefully not dragged out like some recent Netflix offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Season 3 of The Komisky Method coming 28th of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's not the best put together trailer I've seen, but I find the general concept interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Looking forward to sons of Sam, hopefully not dragged out like some recent Netflix offerings.

Report back please :)
    It caught my eye too but I’m going to finish F1 first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

And Tomorrow the Entire World (German)
    A law student joins an anti-fascist group and finds herself sucked into increasingly dangerous situations and drawn more and more to violence.

Polish day
    August Sky: 63 Days of Glory
    The Lure
    7 Emotions
    Anatomy of Evil
    Exterminator: Ready to Roll
    Na Układy Nie Ma Rady
    Legiony
    Piata pora roku
    Prosta historia o morderstwie
    and more
    added

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Son of Sam doc is
    good in parts, raises some good questions but is (surprise surprise) far too long. Also a warning considering how much mad conspiracy stuff is going around at the moment

Not a huge spoiler above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Watched Rocketman and it's ok. Too much singing and didn't think it was as good as The Queen/Freddy Mercury film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Watched Rocketman and it's ok. Too much singing and didn't think it was as good as The Queen/Freddy Mercury film.

Didn't think much of either of them but thought Rocketman was slightly better than the moist excrement that was Bohemian Rhapsody.

• Advertisement

Didn't think much of either of them but thought Rocketman was slightly better than the moist excrement that was Bohemian Rhapsody.

Ha what you think was so bad about Bohemian Rhapsody. Seen it on a plane a few years ago and thought it was good. I don't remember as much singing in it.

Ha what you think was so bad about Bohemian Rhapsody. Seen it on a plane a few years ago and thought it was good. I don't remember as much singing in it.

For me, it captured none of the captivating charisma of Mercury and fell into the usual hackneyed music biopic cliches and was completely inaccurate with most of its facts. It was an absolute travesty of a movie imo.

Ah right. Wouldn't have a clue about factual inaccuracies as I wouldn't be a big fan of Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Completely agree that Bohemian Rhapsody is a piece of crap! I'm no editing expert but it's stand out bad - I didn't come out of the film thinking wow, what terrible editing - like I say, I'm no expert, but there was something I couldn't out my finger on that I hated about it. Then I saw one of the YouTube videos pointing out the state of it and it clicked.

Keep meaning to watch Rocketman, maybe one for the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm not a Queen fan but I do like a few of their songs and I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was fairly enjoyable.

My recommendation is to skip the film altogether and just watch the actual Live Aid performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

I enjoyed the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I enjoyed the movie too. Wouldn't be a big Queen fan, but the film told an interesting story behind the scenes that I wasn't aware of.

Not sure how factual it was but assuming it wasn't too far off the true story.

Jupiter’s Legacy: Volume 1
    This new series rom Mark Millar sees the world’s first generation of superheroes look to their children to continue the legacy, after nearly a century of keeping humankind safe,. But tensions rise as the young superheroes, hungry to prove their worth, struggle to live up to their parents’ legendary public reputations — and exacting personal standards.

Girl from Nowhere: Season 2
    A mysterious, clever girl named Nanno transfers to different schools, exposing the lies and misdeeds of the students and faculty at every turn.

The Secret Life of Pets 2
    On a farm outside New York, Max aims to boost his confidence while in the city, Snowball attempts to rescue a tiger cub and Gidget pretends to be a cat in this animated sequel.

Milestone
    A newly bereaved trucker, a legacy to be passed down, and a milestone that comes with its own consequences. Ghalib, a veteran driver, sets a 500,000 kms record on the road, but celebrations are cut short with the advent of pain, both physical and emotional.
    In the midst of fighting a compensation claim and finding a cure for his own back, the old man faces the threat of losing the job that has come to define him to a new intern. Will life get back on track, or is this the end of the road?

Monster
    Monster tells the story of Steve Harmon (Kelvin Harrison Jr) a seventeen-year-old honor student whose world comes crashing down around him when he is charged with felony murder. The film follows his dramatic journey from a smart, likeable film student from Harlem attending an elite high school through a complex legal battle that could leave him spending the rest of his life in prison.

The Circle - The Afterparty
    Stars of "The Circle" drop by to discuss Season 2's big winner, some juicy behind-the-scenes gossip and their enduring friendships with one another

Men in Black: International
    When shape-shifting aliens threaten Earth, a new recruit and a veteran MiB agent embark on a mission to save their own organization -- and the world.

Unrest
    In this heart-wrenching documentary, a 28-year-old Ph.D. student turns the camera on herself to capture her struggles with chronic fatigue syndrome.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe now it's released, we might hear more but there doesn't seem to be much interest in Jupiter’s Legacy. Maybe everyone's just fed up of comic based movies and series at this point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Maybe now it's released, we might hear more but there doesn't seem to be much interest in Jupiter’s Legacy. Maybe everyone's just fed up of comic based movies and series at this point

When people who don't watch superhero shows and movies anyway complain about there being too many, I pay no notice because they actually make up a very small percentage of overall output and there's literally so much other stuff these people could be watching.

But as someone who does consume a lot of superhero content, I won't be watching it, I have the MCU for my generic good guy vs bad guy and I have The Boys and Invincible for the more cynical take. Jupiter's Legacy seems to fall into the latter but the trailer did nothing for me and Josh Duhamel's grey beard and hair just looks ridiculous. Previous adaptations of Millar's work has also left me cold although I've never actually read any of the source material.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jupiter's Legacy just looks lazy TBH; that's the primary feel I get for it. The costumes are awful, really uninspired "off-brand" attempts you'd expect of a Holloween costume shop. While the theme seems equally generic, of the "sins of the parent" style (which the recently finished Invincible did very well). Overall it strikes as Netflix desperately trying to glom onto the Superhero trend by way of one of the leftover IPs not yet acquired by a studio.

Obviously it might actually be good, so can't judge too definitively. Won't be in a rush to watch it either though (unless reviews are glowing)

I watch a lot of the superhero and comic inspired stuff but just no interest in this. Never read the comics either. Have seen all Marvel except Inhumans and the last seasons of Cloak & Dagger and Runaways, DC stuff apart from Swamp Thing and then other comic material like Invincible, The Boys and Umbrella Academy.

May just not be related to too much comics stuff but too many full series drops. I know I'm way behind in series, with the most recent being Shadow and Bone.

I can see Jupiter's Legacy being another one that comes and goes with people forgetting it even came out, apart from the Netflix reminders

• Registered Users Posts: 39,560 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Watched the first episode of son of sam which was well done and they wrapped up the case well. My worry is there is three more episodes and this happened in the documentary into the hotel in LA they did. They stretch it out further than the story can take and you get one good episode and then the rest are kind of less focused. I hope that’s not the case but it’s happened at least before.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

pixelburp wrote: »
    Jupiter's Legacy just looks lazy TBH; that's the primary feel I get for it. The costumes are awful, really uninspired "off-brand" attempts you'd expect of a Holloween costume shop. While the theme seems equally generic, of the "sins of the parent" style (which the recently finished Invincible did very well). Overall it strikes as Netflix desperately trying to glom onto the Superhero trend by way of one of the leftover IPs not yet acquired by a studio.

Obviously it might actually be good, so can't judge too definitively. Won't be in a rush to watch it either though (unless reviews are glowing)

I have read a fair amount of Millar's comic work, and it turns out I dislike a majority of it because his writing always feels like it's focused on plot and "shocking" moments over actual character of any kind. (Credit where it is due, he does seem to have a strong instinct for what will be commercially successful and has managed to get a lot of good artists to work with him, with the result that even his worst efforts typically have at least good art on their side.)

I read the first volume of the Jupiter's Legacy comic recently, and it left me cold. None of the characters are interesting, none of the costumed identities are visually arresting nor are their powers distinctive, and overall it feels like a mediocre attempt at "What if Mad Men but with superheroes?", except without the quality of writing that made Mad Men exceptional.

I may check out the first episode out of curiosity, but it's not exactly high on my list.

Oddly enough I think Netflix would've been better off going for either Huck (a straight up Superman riff) or Starlight (an imaginary Flash Gordon sequel decades later) as opening salvos on Millar adaptations. According to wiki those are in development as films. Chosen/American Jesus is going to be the second series, which has more potential (in that IMO it's the closest a Millar story has ever come to having a theme, although I assume the adaptation will remove the edgelord teenage boy elements from the end of the comic). Supercrooks as an animated superhero heist film seems like a promising one as well in that it is aiming more at that pop/fun sensibility rather than Jupiter's Legacy which seems set to aim for a Snyder-esque dreary seriousness with all the depth of a puddle.

Resident Evil: Vendetta
    In the second sequel of this animated franchise, a team of agents fights a vindictive enemy plotting to release a lethal virus into the world.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Watched the first episode of son of sam which was well done and they wrapped up the case well. My worry is there is three more episodes and this happened in the documentary into the hotel in LA they did. They stretch it out further than the story can take and you get one good episode and then the rest are kind of less focused. I hope that’s not the case but it’s happened at least before.

You absolutely need to stay with it.
    I finished it last night. It’s absolutely brilliant in my opinion. Episode 3 is a bit dragged on but episode 4 is absolutely brilliant. The very end is so important and will make you think.

Anyone else here use Edge to watch Netflix?
    It used to work grand for me but now it seems to struggle and stream at a lower resolution.

Edit: Fixed it by turning on Hardware Acceleration. Had turned it off as it was giving me an error a lot of the time when I would press play after pausing.

Super Me (chinese)
    A struggling screenwriter discovers his lucrative ability to bring antiques from his dreams into the real world -- but his new life soon unravels.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Thought the innocent was great! Lot going on it in!

Advertisement