Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kindles in Tesco

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭cdublin

PC World in Leffey Valley are doing them for €109 and if you pay an extra €30 you get an unlimited warranty for 3 years, effectively replacing it with a new up to date version.
    The guy in the shop said they got 500 in the week before Christmas and they had about 30 left the other day when I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i wouldn't trust a pc world warranty as fare as i could throw it. amazon on the other hand are excellent when it comes to warranty replacements for kindles.

my mate broke his screen in the first week or so that he had it (totally his fault, not a defect) and when he called amazon to see about a replacement screen, they said they'd send him a new kindle out that day (it arrived the following day at his home in the UK) complete with pre-paid postage to return the broken one any time in the following 30 days, no questions asked.

i've heard far too many horror stories about pc world and currys to even consider buying something like that off them that i might one day need to send back to get repaired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

iknorr wrote: »
    what was the breakdown of the charges ?

How much did u get viaaddress to display?
    Asked viaaddress to put value of 90USD so probably my own fault. I was thinking though if anything happened the unit in transit i would only get the value of whatever I stated.
    disbursements out of scope of EU VAT €14
    Clearance admin charge €10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭iknorr

corklad32 wrote: »
    Asked viaaddress to put value of 90USD so probably my own fault. I was thinking though if anything happened the unit in transit i would only get the value of whatever I stated.

Any idea what that 14 euro is for? As in does it fit into any of the calculations for vat etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Any idea what that 14 euro is for? As in does it fit into any of the calculations for vat etc?
    Dunno i presume its VAT @21%. The declared value was 90USD roughly say €70 and 21% of that is about €14

• Advertisement

corklad32 wrote: »
    a friend made that mistake and put the value of some very chap baby clothing items (worth probably 30 quid) as €500 and the postie came knocking at the door looking for about 150 quid in charges.

my wife went bonkers as we didn't even know it was coming, so he said to appeal it and gave her the details and he'd send it back.

a week later it came back with no charges at all, although it had been opened. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Hi

Just to update everyone, I finally got my Kindle Touch from Viaddress last friday!! I'm very relieved :D

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Pixied - I'm glad it arrived. I hope you're enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

I just got a bill from FedEx for 29.74

Disembursements 17.44
    Clearance Admin 10.00
    VAT at 23% 2.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭JeanLucPicard

Which to do?

My mum wants a Kindle. She is heading away to Australia in the next few weeks to visit my sister and her new born son.

Is it best to buy the Kindle here in Ireland or get one Duty Free (can they be got there?) or indeed to pick one up in Australia?

Any help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Which to do?

My mum wants a Kindle. She is heading away to Australia in the next few weeks to visit my sister and her new born son.

Is it best to buy the Kindle here in Ireland or get one Duty Free (can they be got there?) or indeed to pick one up in Australia?

Any help appreciated.

Just buy the €109 model in Tesco's for convenience's sake and bung on a dozen books before she heads off. By far the simplest option if all you want to get is a basic e-reader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Just buy the €109 model in Tesco's for convenience's sake and bung on a dozen books before she heads off. By far the simplest option if all you want to get is a basic e-reader.

Agreed - she might get it duty-free in Heathrow if she's going that way - but she won't then have time to set up her account with Amazon/Kindle and load up some books for the journey- or even to charge up its battery. It's really brill to have a selection of books handy for the trip and the delays in airports or waiting for busses etc. Well worth the few quid she might save. It saves a lot in weight too in your carry-on bag. She doesn't have to bring the charger or any pin adapters either - somebody where she's going will surely have a laptop or ipod - any USB socket wil charge it (she should bring the cable of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭iknorr

Found a kindle touch in Virgin, Bahrain last week for approx 150 euro ....are these onsale outside the US now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Found a kindle touch in Virgin, Bahrain last week for approx 150 euro ....are these onsale outside the US now?

Amazon.com have been shipping the kindle touch internationally for a while now, got mine last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How do you rate the touch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

BostonB wrote: »
    How do you rate the touch?

I absolutely love mine. Its a very simple device. extremely easy to download books. Im glad I opted for the touch in the end. i believe it has audio too but i havent used it.

The only thing is that there has been the odd title unavailable on amazon.com, but thats a general kindle complaint! i bought the cover with the inbuilt light which was quite over priced but it is vv handy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Does the basic kindle for 109 in tesco's ever get reduced or go on special offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The touch models should be on sale in Tesco this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Bought a Kindle Touch in Argos today for €129 and got a €10 voucher back.

Money back offer till the 8th May for anyone interested :)

tbh i thought the basic model would be sub 100 euro at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

vibe666 wrote: »
    i wouldn't trust a pc world warranty as fare as i could throw it. amazon on the other hand are excellent when it comes to warranty replacements for kindles.

my mate broke his screen in the first week or so that he had it (totally his fault, not a defect) and when he called amazon to see about a replacement screen, they said they'd send him a new kindle out that day (it arrived the following day at his home in the UK) complete with pre-paid postage to return the broken one any time in the following 30 days, no questions asked.

i've heard far too many horror stories about pc world and currys to even consider buying something like that off them that i might one day need to send back to get repaired.

I bought my first Kindle in february 2011, and paid 20 quid I think for an extra warranty. Broke the screen last week and went in and got a new one, no questions asked. They didn't ask for the charger and stuff back either, which is handy as the chargers don't come standard with them anymore, just the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

glic83 wrote: »
    tbh i thought the basic model would be sub 100 euro at this stage

I agree. Big price difference from the States. $79 Vs €110

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

groom wrote: »
    I agree. Big price difference from the States. $79 Vs €110

You aren't comparing like with like, the $79 one has ads on it, so its really $109 vs €109.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

mcgovern wrote: »
    You aren't comparing like with like, the $79 one has ads on it, so its really $109 vs €109.

Was thinking of getting a Kindle Touch from the states. from what i've read the ads function won't work if used outside the US. Even if they do work it's only when the kindle goes to sleep. Wouldn't have thought its a big issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Do the original Kindles (ie, not the touch) still have the free 3G worldwide so you can use the rudimentary browser wherever you are for free ?

Don't think the orginals had 3g did they?, they had built in wifi alright but not 3g,if im correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Pique wrote: »
    Do the original Kindles (ie, not the touch) still have the free 3G worldwide so you can use the rudimentary browser wherever you are for free ?

Pique, yes that can...but it's pretty crap. I hadn't used this function in years, but had a quick look there now.
    Don't think the orginals had 3g did they?, they had built in wifi alright but not 3g,if im correct.

Glic, I have mine since October 09 so have the original white version with keyboard. I can confirm that they work over 3g. The majority of the books I d/l are over 3g.

Cheers,
    Conor.

also, the kindle 3 was available with 3g as well as just wifi.

it was intended for just book delivery so they never set up any facility for billing on it, but they introduced an experimental browser which meant that you could surf basic web pages and check your email with it anywhere in the world with a 3g signal totally for free, forever. :)

mcgovern wrote: »

I own one with ads. The difference between it and the non-ad version is negligible. Completely non-invasive (rendered on the standby screen) so I would contest that I am comparing apples with with apples. Perhaps one of the apples has one of those tiny stickers you get on apples.

American consumers have the choice of one starting from $79
    Irish consumers have the choice of one starting from €109

• Advertisement

zizou_ wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting a Kindle Touch from the states. from what i've read the ads function won't work if used outside the US. Even if they do work it's only when the kindle goes to sleep. Wouldn't have thought its a big issue.

Read a couple of reviews of the 'with ads' version and try and find one that is negative.

If you turn on wi-fi you will get a new ad rendered when the Kindle is turned off. It disappears as soon as you turn on the Kindle. If you use a case which is well recommended you won't even see this. You get a smaller banner (10% of the page) at the bottom of the page that lists your books. Remember this isn't flashy like something you'd see in a web browser. It is a small static banner. You only see this list when you are selecting a new book. You never get any sort of ad displayed when you are reading a book. I haven't turned on wi-fi in months so I don't have any ads on mine.

Mine is the Kindle 4 not the Touch but I can't imagine there is much difference

checked tesco's in coonagh in Limerick today, still 110 on "special offer", surely its cheaper elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

Pique wrote: »
    vibe666 wrote: »
    you could surf basic web pages and check your email with it anywhere in the world with a 3g signal totally for free, forever. :)

somebody must pay for the 3g ?
    amazon must have an agreement with mobile phone companies in every country to allow this ?
    what 3g network do they connect to in ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

green123 wrote: »
    somebody must pay for the 3g ?
    amazon must have an agreement with mobile phone companies in every country to allow this ?
    what 3g network do they connect to in ireland ?

The deal is that basically the extra you pay for the device over the wifi only version is used by Amazon to pay for the 3G service. And the price of 3G delivery is also included in the price you pay for books etc.

Amazon do indeed have deals with mobile carriers in most countries but I'm not sure who it is in Ireland.

The browser is very experimental and it is very slow so most ppl would rarely use it and you couldn't really use it to download any big files and they do charge you extra if you need to download any books over 3G that don't come from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

The deal is that basically the extra you pay for the device over the wifi only version is used by Amazon to pay for the 3G service. And the price of 3G delivery is also included in the price you pay for books etc.

Amazon do indeed have deals with mobile carriers in most countries but I'm not sure who it is in Ireland.

US 3G's have AT&T SIMs in them, ROTW have vodafone... kinda makes sense

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200375890

http://shkspr.mobi/blog/index.php/2010/09/kindle-and-suresignal-or-how-to-find-your-kindles-phone-number/

Downloading kindle book content is free when 'roaming' (there are size limits, but realistically you won't run into them), but they do keep reminding you to connect to wifi to save you(!) costs

We have 2 x (US) 3G + wifi Kindle 3's in Ireland... (well at USD 84 each around Black Friday (nov 2011) in New Jersey, it wasn't that difficult a decision!)

The cost of using 'whispernet' has additional charges of USD 4.99 *per week* to have newspaper, magazines and blogs delivered and if you get personal documents delivered, it's USD .99 per megabyte. rounded up!

needless to say we use wifi ;)

davork wrote: »
    We have 2 x (US) 3G + wifi Kindle 3's in Ireland... (well at USD 84 each around Black Friday (nov 2011) in New Jersey, it wasn't that difficult a decision!)

The cost of using 'whispernet' has additional charges of USD 4.99 *per week* to have newspaper, magazines and blogs delivered and if you get personal documents delivered, it's USD .99 per megabyte. rounded up!

needless to say we use wifi ;)
    can you confirm that there aren't any charges for using the kindle 3 browser over 3G?

i've heard it said several times and i've repeated it myself based on what i've already heard, but it would be nice to get a bit of independent verification all the same so i know for sure that i'm not inadvertently misleading people. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

The free 3g thing is misleading. Firstly free 3g web browsing is only available on kindle keyboard 3g - kindle touch 3g only has wikipedia and amazon access.

However, I got the kindle keyboard 3g at Christmas with the understanding I'd be able to browse abroad. I went to Germany and Luxembourg, brought it with me and when I tried to access the web I got a 'Access is restricted message'. :mad:When I got home I looked it up and found this page Link.

A little down the page it lists the 61 countries where you can get full web access on the experimental browser. Ireland is on the list which is handy, however a lot of European countries are not, e.g. France, Spain, Italy, Germany, UK. In hindsight to be honest I'm not too sure I'd have bothered with the keyboard 3g over the regular kindle wifi model. That said I'll get some use out of it around Ireland and probably in the US at some stage so I'm not too upset either.

Anyway, know what you're buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

walshki wrote: »
    However, I got the kindle keyboard 3g at Christmas with the understanding I'd be able to browse abroad. I went to Germany and Luxembourg, brought it with me and when I tried to access the web I got a 'Access is restricted message'. :mad:When I got home I looked it up and found this page Link.

They must have changed it because I was in Germany about a year and a half ago and the 3G worked fine on my Kindle keyboard. And even last summer I was in Spain and it worked as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

They must have changed it because I was in Germany about a year and a half ago and the 3G worked fine on my Kindle keyboard. And even last summer I was in Spain and it worked as well.

Looks it has changed.
    It's a kinda funky setup. Here in Ireland the Kindle connects to a special APN on Vodafone which connects into amazons network with an exit point in the USA.

I suppose it's so they can easily see who is using more data than others and cut them off straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

The browser is very experimental and it is very slow so most ppl would rarely use it and you couldn't really use it to download any big files and they do charge you extra if you need to download any books over 3G that don't come from Amazon.

I've had a kindle keyboard 3g for a year and I've used the 3g for free to:

access my email in Ireland, France, Caribbean, UK, Japan......often have had delays or glitches in accessing but what the hell its free!

accessed various news and media sites where no wireless existed - again it was slow and clunky - but free!

to download books in places where I wouldn't have had access to wireless - e.g. the beach.

So its experimental and I can't see why they would expand this facility - so perhaps my interests are best served by keeping my mouth shut about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dingle Berry

Anyone seen covers for the Kindle Fire on sale? - its longer than the ordinary kindle.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Jayprey

Think they're a good price in Argos too!! Worth checking out anyways as they're now offering a €10 gift voucher with any purchase over €75 - at least until tomorrow :) Think prices are €109/129/167/199 for Kindle/Kindle Touch/Kindle Keyboard 3G/Kindle Touch 3G respectively. Plus €10 gift voucher too til 8/5 - sounds like a bargain!

Anyone seen covers for the Kindle Fire on sale? - its longer than the ordinary kindle.:o
    the kindle fire still isn't officially available (afaik) outside of the US, so you are unlikely to find a cover in any shops here.

i bought my kindle fire cover off ebay, a nice leather book type one which folds into a stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

does anyone know if there are any sales for the basic 109/110 model or deals if you buy two?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've used my Kindle keyboard 3G in Spain no problem, Ireland and US too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Any new kindle deals around, looking to buy the basic model for my Mum.
    I've used my Kindle keyboard 3G in Spain no problem, Ireland and US too

Me too. In the last three months I've used it for 3G internet in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Sinagapore, Malaysia, India, UK and Holland. I was generally just checking my email and googling stuff, it worked in all those listed countries without any issues despite the fact that Thailand is the only country listed on the kindle website.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭molly111

Hi,

Can you tell me how I use my kindle keyboard to access my emails - I can't see how you do this.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

With the web browser. No email app on the regular model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

molly111 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can you tell me how I use my kindle keyboard to access my emails - I can't see how you do this.

Thanks
    By emails, I meant loading up gmail.com on the web browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭molly111

got it - thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Anyone know the latest prices in tesco for the kindle,not touch or keyboard one,the one with 5 buttons along the bottom. My last kindle had an accident with the bottom of a shoe :-(

• Advertisement
Advertisement