Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindles in Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, fingers crossed.

not sure if it was because it was a children's toy that they let it through, or just fedex being efficient, but it worked, so i'm happy. :)

it was sent via fedex from my viaddress to ireland on tuesday night and arrived at my door on thursday morning, althoughi wasn't there to collect it and they had to re-deliver it on friday, but with my previous experience with US deliveries with DHL, they usually stop them for at least 2-3 days for customs checks, so i have a feeling that it breezed right through without being stopped at all, based on the speed of delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

cheers vibe,

I think i wont ask them to repackage mine. Cos im in a bit of a hurry to receive it and just for sh*ts and giggles to see if its possible to get it through customs.

1 other question though. Does viaaddress display their shipping details and cost on the package?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Already asked this Gadgets, hope it's OK to ask here as well....

A friend is going to New York on Wednesday for five days and I've asked them about getting me a Kindle Touch (or Fire, still haven't made up my mind for sure yet!). Would it be delivered to the hotel in time if I ordered today or tomorrow, or would they be better going to BestBuy to get it?

Bestbuy would be a better option if they had stock BUT i ordered my kindle with the free prime delivery (2-3 days) trial last friday from amazon and its currently out for delivery to its final address.(viaaddress.com address )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

So is the conclusion that Dixon's Dublin airport is now the cheapest bricks and mortar here for the kindle ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Yes,
    Dixons Dublin airport Kindle 4 is €99
    Currys / PC World is €109
    Tesco is €110 but also gives Clubcard points
    Amazon.com is €118

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Currys have the 199 one for 179

vibe666 wrote: »
    well, fingers crossed.

not sure if it was because it was a children's toy that they let it through, or just fedex being efficient, but it worked, so i'm happy. :)

it was sent via fedex from my viaddress to ireland on tuesday night and arrived at my door on thursday morning, althoughi wasn't there to collect it and they had to re-deliver it on friday, but with my previous experience with US deliveries with DHL, they usually stop them for at least 2-3 days for customs checks, so i have a feeling that it breezed right through without being stopped at all, based on the speed of delivery.

mine was picked up last night by fedex... estimated delivery is 13th december :(

Also shipping for the touch was 42.99 on its own.

iknorr wrote: »
    mine was picked up last night by fedex... estimated delivery is 13th december :(

Also shipping for the touch was 42.99 on its own.
    ah well, it's not too long to wait really. maybe it's taking longer because of christmas? you might still find it turns up very quickly though.

here's my package's journey, although as you can see it was a lot bigger than yours. :pac:

184184.jpg

was that 42.99 dollars or euro? when mine arrived at viaddress, both the kindle fire and kindle touch were showing up as weighing 2lb, with shipping costs for that weight as (i think) $38.99 according to the shipping calculator on their site for shipping to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Mine is in transit to Stansted as of last night so I should have it tomorrow hopefully.
    Package contains Kindle Touch x3 and Kindle Fire x2, weights 7lb and delivery cost $77.

Will let you know if I get through customs.

• Advertisement

garion wrote: »
    Mine is in transit to Stansted as of last night so I should have it tomorrow hopefully.
    Package contains Kindle Touch x3 and Kindle Fire x2, weights 7lb and delivery cost $77.

Will let you know if I get through customs.
    if you do, do i get commission on all those sales? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Hi guys im a bit worried about my kindle or lack of........
    No update since December 2.......from amazon to viaddress

Date Time Location Event Details
    December 2, 2011 09:00:00 AM Elkhart IN US Arrival Scan
    December 1, 2011 08:44:53 PM Fedex Smartpost Belleville MI US Departure Scan
    December 1, 2011 08:44:00 PM Fedex Smartpost Belleville MI US In transit to pickup location
    December 1, 2011 09:58:00 AM Fedex Smartpost Belleville MI US Arrival Scan
    November 30, 2011 06:49:09 PM Hebron KY Arrival Scan
    November 30, 2011 07:41:00 PM US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

vibe666 - what kinda money was viaaddress charging for 11Kg?

Did those using viaaddress use the option to be able to declare your own value on the packages? Their FAQ indicates this is an option when multiple deliveries are repackaged.

Thanks for all the info! Seems like a good service.

Did those using viaaddress use the option to be able to declare your own value on the packages? Their FAQ indicates this is an option when multiple deliveries are repackaged.

I had mine repackaged (ended up being 1/2 the dimensional size it originally was) and before I shipped it I could set the label and value.

if you do, do i get commission on all those sales? :pac:

Will see how Christmassy I'm feeling when the package arrives tomorrow! :D

Yeah,

Shipment n SHP1323116118(FedexStandard Service)
    $42.70 USD

and

Shipment Dates
    Ship date Dec 6, 2011
    Estimated delivery Dec 13, 2011 by 6:00 PM

Hopefully it will arrive quicker.

Package weight was "2" and dimensional weight was "3" for 1 kindle touch. I think there was a fair bit of rounding up to be done as the estimate calculater showed me 32USD. (if i remember correctly).
    Probably should have used their repackaging service!

I bet i get caught with the tax aswell....nooooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Perhaps the title of this thread should be changed to NO Kindles in Tesco (at least no Kindle 4's) - can't find them anywhere

On the other hand, PC World in Jervis street had 3 shelves stacked high with them behind the cash register at lunch time today - it must be the top purchase for Christmas this year!

Got a call from FedEx earlier as I'm getting my package shipped to work. They wanted to know was it a company package or a personal one. I said it was personal.

She said that it was going through customs tomorrow and IF it wasn't stopped I'd have it by tomorrow afternoon. I'm not too hopeful at this stage. :(

Yeah,

Shipment n SHP1323116118(FedexStandard Service)
    $42.70 USD

and

Shipment Dates
    Ship date Dec 6, 2011
    Estimated delivery Dec 13, 2011 by 6:00 PM

Hopefully it will arrive quicker.

Package weight was "2" and dimensional weight was "3" for 1 kindle touch. I think there was a fair bit of rounding up to be done as the estimate calculater showed me 32USD. (if i remember correctly).
    Probably should have used their repackaging service!

I bet i get caught with the tax aswell....nooooooo!

Any idea how long it took to get from Amazon to viaddress? My package seems to be at the PO in Indiana or wherever viaddress are based since Dec 2...

this was the charge (as reported by paypal) for postage from viaddress to Dublin.

$253.75 (€195.44) Exchange rate: 1 Euro = 1.29835 U.S. Dollars

the repackaging took about 5 days in the end, but the bigger box with the toy in was pretty big, so they just slipped the kindles into it and sealed it up again (with no outer box, just the display box with the toy in) and when they were done, a new single repackaged item appears in your viaddress account, with a blank description, quantity & price, which you just fill in however you want.

i just put the description of the toy on it and it's actual value of $125 and that was that, so not only did i get away with customs & vat charges on $300 worth of kindles, but i didn't even get charged for the toy either, so all in all it wasn't all that bad and made up for the extra cost of shipping the large box.

• Advertisement

corklad32 wrote: »
    Any idea how long it took to get from Amazon to viaddress? My package seems to be at the PO in Indiana or wherever viaddress are based since Dec 2...

Yup,

Shipped from amazon on the 2nd, arrived on the morning of the fifth. that was over a weekend though.
    took about 6 hours for viaddress to register it in their system. Then took another 12 hours for them to ship it.

Id drop them an email about that. Your package should have been registered the same day

Yup,

Shipped from amazon on the 2nd, arrived on the morning of the fifth. that was over a weekend though.
    took about 6 hours for viaddress to register it in their system. Then took another 12 hours for them to ship it.

Id drop them an email about that. Your package should have been registered the same day
    Balls. Mine shipped from Amazon on the 30 Nov and is stuck in the USPS depot since Dec 2nd. Great fun i'm sure trying to sort that out...On the tracking page on Amazon it's showing it scanned into the USPS depot on the second but didn't leave it yet.

corklad32 wrote: »
    Balls. Mine shipped from Amazon on the 30 Nov and is stuck in the USPS depot since Dec 2nd. Great fun i'm sure trying to sort that out...On the tracking page on Amazon it's showing it scanned into the USPS depot on the second but didn't leave it yet.
    send them an email or call them and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

this was the charge (as reported by paypal) for postage from viaddress to Dublin.

the repackaging took about 5 days in the end, but the bigger box with the toy in was pretty big, so they just slipped the kindles into it and sealed it up again (with no outer box, just the display box with the toy in) and when they were done, a new single repackaged item appears in your viaddress account, with a blank description, quantity & price, which you just fill in however you want.

i just put the description of the toy on it and it's actual value of $125 and that was that, so not only did i get away with customs & vat charges on $300 worth of kindles, but i didn't even get charged for the toy either, so all in all it wasn't all that bad and made up for the extra cost of shipping the large box.

Hey Vibe

Which company did you set up your US phone number with ?. I'm thinking about a Skype online number.

Hey Vibe

Which company did you set up your US phone number with ?. I'm thinking about a Skype online number.
    everyone keeps asking me that, but i didn't set one up and they never asked me to. i set up my account around the 2nd week of december.

not sure why they're suddenly demanding a phone number now.

EDIT: just checked my account and the only number i have listed with them is my irish mobile number. it just lists the sipgate and one other) option to sign up with a us phone number, but i've never bothered.

Hey Vibe

Yeah I just put my Irish mobile number on this and had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

everyone keeps asking me that, but i didn't set one up and they never asked me to. i set up my account around the 2nd week of december.

not sure why they're suddenly demanding a phone number now.

EDIT: just checked my account and the only number i have listed with them is my irish mobile number. it just lists the sipgate and one other) option to sign up with a us phone number, but i've never bothered.
    garion wrote: »
    Yeah I just put my Irish mobile number on this and had no problems.

Yeah I set up the account on Viaddress with my Irish number. It's just they said you need to set up a US number for the ordering from the US sites. Thats what I was wondering :)

Yeah I set up the account on Viaddress with my Irish number. It's just they said you need to set up a US number for the ordering from the US sites. Thats what I was wondering :)
    i think it's only if you are ordering from sites that us the USPS (US Postal Service) for delivery, as you need to fill out a separate form for that to enable viaddress to accept packages from the USPS on your behalf and i think it's that form that requires a US phone number to complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Nice one! I like the idea of using the repackaging service and writing your own shipping label as it allows you to be loose with the figures... we better not talk too much though as mr customs may be listening!

Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement

Nice one! I like the idea of using the repackaging service and writing your own shipping label as it allows you to be loose with the figures... we better not talk too much though as mr customs may be listening!

Thanks for the info.
    yep, just try not to get caught out by the dimensional weight thing though, or it could cost you more than you'd otherwise have saved. :)

Advertisement