Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindles in Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Do the ones in Tesco come with a charger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Tayla wrote: »
    Do the ones in Tesco come with a charger?

No but it comes with a usb cable so you could just charge it from a compurer or laptop. You can buy a charger separately if you want though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Battery in the Kindle lasts a long time, and will charge fairly quickly, also if you have a Nintendo DS/ HTC phone/ Sony erricson phone, the same charger works.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jc2008

Do Tesco Dundrum still have these Kindles?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

vibe666 wrote: »
    yep, just try not to get caught out by the dimensional weight thing though, or it could cost you more than you'd otherwise have saved. :)
    Mine is on the way thankfully! Viadress received it yesterday and will ship today. So mine (kindle touch) cost €113 for the touch + €33 shipping total €146. To get the bog standard off amazon direct including shipping costs €122. Not sure if you save much but the reason i got it via viaddress was the touch isn't available outside the states

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

corklad32 wrote: »
    Mine is on the way thankfully! Viadress received it yesterday and will ship today. So mine (kindle touch) cost €113 for the touch + €33 shipping total €146. To get the bog standard off amazon direct including shipping costs €122. Not sure if you save much but the reason i got it via viaddress was the touch isn't available outside the states
    same here. i got a kindle touch for my dad and a kindle fire for my wife and neither of them are available in europe this side of xmas, so they are pretty exclusive gifts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

jc2008 wrote: »
    Do Tesco Dundrum still have these Kindles?

I was in there on Tuesday evening. They had some Kindle Keyboards, but no Kindle 4's. They keep them behind the customer service desk on the left as you go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Think i've been nabbed by customs... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Jacket111001

Just ordered from Amazon and using viaaddress.
    When do you pay viaaddress for shipping after the goods arrive?

Thanks in advance

Just ordered from Amazon and using viaaddress.
    When do you pay viaaddress for shipping after the goods arrive?

Thanks in advance
    €33 if you go for the slower delivery with UPS or Fedex. Think it was an extra €5 for the quicker option

• Advertisement

Just got my package.... and no customs charge! Absolutely delighted. It spent the day yesterday with customs but still came through unscathed.

Total cost worked out at E84 per Kindle Touch and E170 per Kindle Fire. Not too bad at all! Thanks for the tip on viadress Vibe! :D

garion wrote: »
    Just got my package.... and no customs charge! Absolutely delighted. It spent the day yesterday with customs but still came through unscathed.

Total cost worked out at E84 per Kindle Touch and E170 per Kindle Fire. Not too bad at all! Thanks for the tip on viadress Vibe! :D

How did you get a touch for €84? The cost off amazon is €113 and then the viadress postage?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

What was your description and the price you put on the package?

Also, did u get viaaddress to repackage it?

corklad32 wrote: »
    How did you get a touch for €84? The cost off amazon is €113 and then the viadress postage?

Touch was $99 (ad enabled one). Shipping through viaddress (along with other items) worked out around $11. Came to E84 after conversion rates etc.

iknorr wrote: »
    What was your description and the price you put on the package?

Also, did u get viaaddress to repackage it?

Yep I asked them to re-package it and put a description of "Computer Components" on it and a value of $119.99.

That said, looking at the box at the moment and there's no value or description visible on it. Unless FedEx had it on a shipment slip or something?

Touch was $99 (ad enabled one). Shipping through viaddress (along with other items) worked out around $11. Came to E84 after conversion rates etc.
    You did well! i saw the ad enabled one but i said id go with the other one. I think i saw somewhere you can remove the ads if you're handy enough with computer stuff.....Postage was great i paid €33 - i didn't take the repack option as it was a present for someone but if i get anything else for myself ill definitely repack it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Can anyone confirm whether the Kindle with Keyboard + 3G + Wifi + Special Offers allows full international browsing over 3G (not just Wikipedia & Amazon sites).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=famstripe_kk3g

I know Amazon don't ship these 'Special Offers' units to ROI, I'll be buying it Stateside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Can anyone confirm whether the Kindle with Keyboard + 3G + Wifi + Special Offers allows full international browsing over 3G (not just Wikipedia & Amazon sites).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=famstripe_kk3g

I know Amazon don't ship these 'Special Offers' units to ROI, I'll be buying it Stateside.

Unless, they've changed it (unlikely) since the release of the new kindles, you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I use the Kindle Keyboard and it works fine on all websites with 3G; mind you it's an awful device for browsing.

How long are the packages staying in Custom clearance in dublin ( on the fedex shipping page)

Mine has been there since yesterday....i think im caught!

• Advertisement

Mine stayed from 8am on Thursday until the 6.30am on Friday. Was sure I was caught too but came through fine. Maybe I was just lucky though! Good luck! :)
    How long are the packages staying in Custom clearance in dublin ( on the fedex shipping page)

Mine has been there since yesterday....i think im caught!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Unless, they've changed it (unlikely) since the release of the new kindles, you should be fine.
    This is incorrect. The new kindles don't have free web browsing over 3G like the old ones did.

Mine stayed from 8am on Thursday until the 6.30am on Friday. Was sure I was caught too but came through fine. Maybe I was just lucky though! Good luck! :)

Cheers , ill update when i get an update!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

daveyjoe wrote: »
    This is incorrect. The new kindles don't have free web browsing over 3G like the old ones did.

But they haven't stopped the older models browsing the full internet on 3G, which was the original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mel123

Can anyone who got the fire confirm if it's good, working as it should etc etc?? Was going to get a kindle 4 but debating weather to go with the fire or not???
    Any reviews appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

mel123 wrote: »
    Can anyone who got the fire confirm if it's good, working as it should etc etc?? Was going to get a kindle 4 but debating weather to go with the fire or not???
    Any reviews appreciated.
    yep, works as it should, although i haven't played with it much as it's actually an xmas pressie for my wife. :)

afaik fully featured custom roms are imminent, so even if it wasn't it would still be a good buy if you reflash it to a custom rom with full (i.e. not just an amazon sales tool) tablet functionality. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

mel123 wrote: »
    Any reviews appreciated.

The fire will sort of work in Ireland, not very well just yet.

The basics of Android will work but it wont allow Kindle purchases yet. You wont be able to do anything on the net as everything goes through Amazon US's proxy, AFAIK that includes purchases on the Market.

To load any apps/apks you need to transfer everything over USB (or connect it to a VPNed wifi)

Untill its been rooted and modded its not worth it, wait till after xmas.

Edit
    Oh and amazons current Fire warranty wont support any faults if you take it out of its region, if it goes faulty you'll need to pay to sent it back to the US and to call the US support line. Then if/when they need send a replacement, they wont send to an address outside the US.

When its released for international, full warranty will be covered and make your life a whole lot easier :)

Cheers , ill update when i get an update!

Mine arrived today.

No customs whooohoooo!

Mine arrived today.

No customs whooohoooo!

Fair play. Was about to buy a new watch earlier on amazon.co.uk and noticed the same one for 1/2 price on amazon.com. Should work out about 25% less even after shipping.

Will let ye know if I make it through customs again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

Are any of the Irish shops offering a trade in price for an older ebook?

Advertisement