Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindles in Tesco

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

daveyjoe wrote: »
    The 3G is free but on the new kindles you can only use it with a handful of sites and the Kindle store. On the older version you can use the browser to access any site you wanted; was very handy for checking your email while travelling in a foreign country.

So would you advise getting the wi-fi only version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Alpish wrote: »
    So would you advise getting the wi-fi only version?
    Totally depends on your needs. If you do a lot of travelling and you want to be able to download a book from the Kindle store from pretty much anywhere then the 3G version might be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I got a kindle last month . the one with the keyboard and wi fi . Delighted with it . Son has arrived in now with another one. I think it may be newer than mine. Slightly smaller and the keypad is built into the screen through the menu button.
    My query is this. Can we share / transfer books to each other ?
    He bought his in PC world €109

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

My query is this. Can we share / transfer books to each other ?

If you want to share books that you bought off Amazon, you may need to register same amazon account (either yours, or your son's) to both kindles.

Or see here: http://www.ehow.com/how_5555987_share-books-between-kindle-accounts.html

If you want to share other books, you may need to copy that from kindle to kindle via a PC.

I've arranged to get a Kindle delivered to a colleague who is visiting US next week for him to bring it back for me. I went for the cheap and cheerful Kindle 4 wi-fi, the one with the ads. It shouldn't cost me more than €70 over all. Waiting fingers crossed..! :o

And while I love books, the main reason I opted for Kindle 4 is because it's affordable, and because in the long-run it would be cheap (all sorts of books that I want to read are available online, open, free, copied etc). I didn't go for wi-fi because I won't be buying many books on the go, and even if I wanted to, I am online one way or other between the pc & phone anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

daveyjoe wrote: »
    The 3G is free but on the new kindles you can only use it with a handful of sites and the Kindle store. On the older version you can use the browser to access any site you wanted; was very handy for checking your email while travelling in a foreign country.

So the one that Tesco are selling is the new one?

If so, what are the sites that one can browse? gmail? or any email account?
    One could set up forwarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Bargain alerts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Yakult wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why I would need the 3G over just the basic Wifi?

In my opinion you dont. The browser on it was fairly crap. It crashed every time i was on Facebook and was very slow. It killed the battery on the kindle as well, so i had it switched off all the time anyways.

The advantage of it, is that it is free, but in this day and age you are never too far away from a wifi hot spot anyways.

Up to yourself of course mind you....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you are doing a lot of travelling around the world the older Kindle keyboard 3G could be a good option as it still has the free worldwide internet. Otherwise I would just get the wifi I think. Plenty of places have GPRS or 3G internet everywhere but not free wifi (rural India and China, for example.)

blorg wrote: »
    If you are doing a lot of travelling around the world the older Kindle keyboard 3G could be a good option as it still has the free worldwide internet. Otherwise I would just get the wifi I think. Plenty of places have GPRS or 3G internet everywhere but not free wifi (rural India and China, for example.)

And the one in tesco is the new 3g?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you're likely to read through a few thousand books whilst on your travels before getting access to the next wifi then get the 3g one. Otherwise the wifi only one will be sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yogicolly

does anyone know if the new kindle for 110 in tesco is the ad supported one or non ads one??

Tesco version has no ads. The ads / special offers version is US only, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I got the $79 cheapest version in the US last week, haven't even connected up the wi-fi, I was able convert my existing book collection into .mobi format using Calibre and transfer them onto my Kindle from my PC using the supplied cable.

As I haven't used the wi-fi, there is no sign of any ads on the screensaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

yogicolly wrote: »
    does anyone know if the new kindle for 110 in tesco is the ad supported one or non ads one??

The add supported Kindle is only in US. All it does is leave an add as a front page when the kindle is off. Once you use the kindle again, you never see the add.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

jayteecork wrote: »
    And the one in tesco is the new 3g?

No, the old keyboard one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

On a demo model I tried out a few weeks ago in Currys, there was a Clairol ad at the bottom of the book list. It's not on the bottom of the one I bought there, though (unless its intermittent).

whiterebel wrote: »
    No, the old keyboard one.

Nice.
    So I buy the 3g in Tesco I can check email and surf the web anywhere, for free?
    That's amazing, nearly worth the price alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Nice.

It's useful to get you out of a tight bind, but it's really not a good browsing experience... at all. Really.

breathn wrote: »
    It's useful to get you out of a tight bind, but it's really not a good browsing experience... at all. Really.

horrible for browsing - not even worth it being free!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GaryW

Nice.

In practice the 3g doesnt allow web browsing in europe only amazon store and wikipedia. Read the small print very carefully before you buy this for its web browsing capabilities... it does work in ireland and the uk but not hte mainland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Huh? I have a Kindle 3G and used it to browse in Spain and the States without issue and it perfectly fine as a temporary solution when you're out and about, I would say that mobile version of websites are the preferred option when available.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

As lots of the accessories like a protective case etc. ar epretty expensive on Amazon it might be worth while checking out deal extreme.

The items are much cheaper, they may not be as good quality but it's a saving:

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/kindle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I've used mine in Spain & Austria - I've noticed that it seems to allow a limited amount of browsing, but seems to have a daily or weekly limit and then it says "the page you have requested is not available" - enough to browse e-mails and check headlines, no more.

Alpish wrote: »
    As lots of the accessories like a protective case etc. ar epretty expensive on Amazon it might be worth while checking out deal extreme.

The items are much cheaper, they may not be as good quality but it's a saving:

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/kindle

I got one of these last year and cannot fault it, great budget solution to store your kindle, compared it to a mates expensive Amazon purchase and not much in the difference

sku_49303_1.jpg

I can't decide between the above dealextreme case and the gelaskin skins. Just look at some of those designs. Bit pricy though at $20 or so.

http://www.gelaskins.com/store/tablets_and_ereaders/Kindle_4/collection/Most_Popular

I have a Gel Skin too, it will not act as heavy protection for your kindle, it's just a sticker to save from scratches maybe but if your kindle falls onto say, a tiled floor then it will not help like the leather effect one

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got one of these in Tesco for about €7. Its all I need. Keeps the dust off the kindle when I'm not using it, and protects it while traveling.

One of the best things about the kindle that it's lightweight. Bulking it up and doubling the weight of it with a leather enclosure is counter-intuitive. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Mr E wrote: »
    I got one of these in Tesco for about €7. Its all I need. Keeps the dust off the kindle when I'm not using it, and protects it while traveling.

One of the best things about the kindle that it's lightweight. Bulking it up and doubling the weight of it with a leather enclosure is counter-intuitive. :)

I like the leather cover myself, makes it feel more secure :)

Just looking at some Kindle 4 reviews on YouTube, I didn't realise Kindle had such a cool dictionary feature. Now I can see the case for a touch screen Kindle, and while I am still waiting for my non-touch screen Kindle 4 to be delivered, I think there is a reason for an upgrade..! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

marknine wrote: »
    The add supported Kindle is only in US. All it does is leave an add as a front page when the kindle is off. Once you use the kindle again, you never see the add.

Yes - the ads replace the "screensavers". It's actually a pity as the screensavers (including a Book Of Kells-ish one) were well done - basically put a "front cover" on your kindle for when you leave it lying around. Apart from that they aren't intrusive - they do not appear on screen when you are reading. In truth Amazon have designed the whole Kindle system for people who read, not for people with short attention spans :)

Advertisement