Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindles in Tesco

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

whiterebel wrote: »
    And delay the flight while they wait for the asshole who has checked in, but no intention of flying. Brilliant.:mad:

Doesn't happen.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Is the €110 model touch screen?

And why might one opt for the 3G as well?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Limericks wrote: »
    Doesn't happen.

When someone has checked in? Of course it does.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

jayteecork wrote: »

No touch screen. Thats on the Fire which is US only at the moment.
    So you can download via Amazon's free 3G where there is no WiFI.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not if they checked in a week or two beforehand from home. If you're not there by the time they get round to closing the door then they will leave you behind. Ryanair have no way of knowing that you are in the airport or not so they are not going to bother waiting for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If I buy a Kindle from Tesco or Currys, where do I download the books from, Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Wow, what network in ireland does amazon use for 3G?
    That sounds peachy, what sort of browser does the 3G version have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Zaph wrote: »
    If I buy a Kindle from Tesco or Currys, where do I download the books from, Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk?

Amazon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Zaph wrote: »
    ToadVine wrote: »
    Amazon.com

or .co.uk if you register a uk mailing address

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks guys

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Not if they checked in a week or two beforehand from home. If you're not there by the time they get round to closing the door then they will leave you behind. Ryanair have no way of knowing that you are in the airport or not so they are not going to bother waiting for you.

They know when your boarding pass is scanned through security.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

It's not touch screen. It's the basic kindle Link
    Don't think the touch version is going to be sold in Europe for the time being.

The 3G isn't available in that model. If you want a 3G version here you have to go for the old keyboard model. In the US they have a touch 3G version. Big difference is that the old keyboard 3G browser allowed you to do basic web browsing - navigation is a bit painful but you can do basic browsing and because it's free worldwide it gives you free web browsing anywhere in the world which is the big attraction.

On the touch 3G they've made the 'experimental' browser even more limited so you can only access wikipedia to my knowledge - no web browsing at all really. The reason apparently was that people would find it far easier to navigate using a touch screen so it would massively increase it's use as a web browser which would cost amazon (they pay a minimal fee for data downloaded via the 3G) and also possibly make the kindle fire less attractive.

If I had the option personally I'd go for the keyboard 3G version for the free worldwide 3G even if the browsing is not very convenient. If you're not interested in that the new basic kindle will be a fine alternative. For what it's worth I've tried out a kindle keyboard 3g for browsing and while it was a bit awkward it works for keeping up to date with news so I think it's worth a bit extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It happens with people who have checked in luggage as if they don't board they have to remove the luggage from the plane. With no checked luggage, they do NOT delay the plane, it goes. If you think otherwise, you have not flown for quite some time. With web check in the norm these days this probably happens on a majority of fights.

They know when your boarding pass is scanned through security.
    No, they don't. In many airports (including Dublin in Summer 2010, when I left) they do not scan boarding passes at security. They just look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭gipi

blorg wrote: »
    No, they don't. In many airports (including Dublin in Summer 2010, when I left) they do not scan boarding passes at security. They just look at them.

There's a new system in Dublin Airport now - there are gates similar to those found at main railway stations and you must scan your own boarding pass to pass through to the security area where handbags, etc are scanned. So all boarding passes are now scanned in Dublin, anyway.

(sorry for straying off topic)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭gipi

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    ummmmm.....it comes with a special USB cable - which is used to connect to your PC/Mac for some communication (not much) but also for charging the Kindle. The bit Amazon don't supply internationally is just a very small mains to USB power adapter/charger - it's cute but it has US pins on it so you have to add your own plug pin adapter anyway. The USB cable you get will plug into any PC/Mac, wall socket USB supply, car cigarette lighter USB charger etc.

When I got my kindle from Amazon.com, I bought the charger as well and was able to specify that I needed a UK-type, so got the 3-pin plug, not the 2-pin US version.

I didn't know when I bought that the charger was nothing more than a USB with a plug attachment at one end - had I known, I probably wouldn't have bought it (especially when a USB cable comes with the Kindle anyway!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

blorg wrote: »
    Theres now a barrier system where you have to scan your ticket to get through

@walshki- I think for a traveller wanting basic free internet access worldwide the 3G keyboard version is the better choice. The Internet is basic, but free, in a hell of a lot of countries. This version will also be much better for reading books like novels due to the e Ink screen.

If however you want to use it primarily for internet at home, and have the access (3g or wifi), the Fire version will likely be a lot better. E Ink refreshes very slowly for typical internet use. This sort of screen is also better for books you want to flick around quickly, like reference books or travel guides. I have an e Ink device but put my travel guides on my phone because they are much easier to use there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Kindle Fire is a tablet. Just because it has the word "Kindle" in it's name does not make it an eReader.

If you're after something to read books on then ignore the Fire, that is not what it is for.

gipi wrote: »
    There's a new system in Dublin Airport now - there are gates similar to those found at main railway stations and you must scan your own boarding pass to pass through to the security area where handbags, etc are scanned. So all boarding passes are now scanned in Dublin, anyway.

(sorry for straying off topic)
    Fair enough, I doubt however this is linked to a SWAT team if you fail to board the aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Anyone know which Tesco stores southside Dublin have the Kindle in stock?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What gives? How to you get power back onto it?

It uses the standard Micro USB cable that all smartphones (other then iPhone) and many other electronic devices use.

The EU forced this on the smart phone companies (rightfully IMO). The idea being that in future your smart phone won't come with any charger or cable and you just use the charger and cable from your old smart phone, thus cutting down on ewaste.

If you don't already have this charger and cable, then you buy them separately.

There are many advantages to the consumer with this:

- You can buy spare/backup chargers and cable for dirt cheap on places like deal extreme and have one charger at home, one at work, one at the girlfriends place, etc. Before extra chargers cost an absolute fortune as the were proprietary.

- If you forget your charger at work or abroad, it is very easy to borrow someone elses one or get one for cheap at the local shop.

- If you are bringing multiple electronic devices on holidays (phone, gps, ebook reader, etc.), you only need one charger for them all, rather then carry multiple chargers.

There is a touch screen Kindle e-ink ebook coming in a few weeks time. But I'm not convinced it will be better then the non touch version. I'm waiting to see reviews and comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Plenty in Tesco bloomfield (dun laoghaire) yesterday

bk wrote: »
    It uses the standard Micro USB cable that all smartphones (other then iPhone) and many other electronic devices use.

The EU forced this on the smart phone companies (rightfully IMO). The idea being that in future your smart phone won't come with any charger or cable and you just use the charger and cable from your old smart phone, thus cutting down on ewaste.

If you don't already have this charger and cable, then you buy them separately.

There are many advantages to the consumer with this:

- You can buy spare/backup chargers and cable for dirt cheap on places like deal extreme and have one charger at home, one at work, one at the girlfriends place, etc. Before extra chargers cost an absolute fortune as the were proprietary.

- If you forget your charger at work or abroad, it is very easy to borrow someone elses one or get one for cheap at the local shop.

- If you are bringing multiple electronic devices on holidays (phone, gps, ebook reader, etc.), you only need one charger for them all, rather then carry multiple chargers.

Great idea in theory. In practice, though there seems to be 3 different USB connectors, which lets it all down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Can anyone tell me why I would need the 3G over just the basic Wifi?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Great idea in theory. In practice, though there seems to be 3 different USB connectors, which lets it all down.

With the exception of the iPhone, all Smartphones use Micro USB as required by the spec put forward by the EU.

Most other portable electronic devices are voluntarily moving towards the same standard too. I won't even buy a new portable electronic device unless it uses Micro USB now.

Rumour has it that given the success of the Smart phone scheme, the EU are going to extend it to other portable electronics devices such as ebook readers, handheld game consoles, tablet pc's, digital cameras, etc.

In the meantime, I use these brilliant cables, which include the three most frequently used connectors (iPhone connector, Micro USB and Mini USB) in one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/retractable-3-in-1-usb-data-charging-cable-for-mini-usb-micro-usb-iphone-ipod-black-94070
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/retractable-usb-to-30-pin-mini-usb-micro-usb-charging-cable-93312

BTW watch out with the first one, I find it doesn't work with my girlfriends phone (Samsung Europa) on the microUSB port on her phone is recessed in the phone, so it doesn't plug in properly.

Yakult wrote: »

In the keyboard kindle you can use the 3G for free internet anywhere in the world. Handy for keeping in contact with people.

For the new Kindles, this has been dropped, so you are basically just using 3G to buy new books and surf wikipedia. Not worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Yakult wrote: »

If you travel alot and want to download books on the move then the 3G might be useful. However you can just put books on before you go or use the wifi spots in the area's you are in so really there isnt much need to spend the extra money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

For the new Kindles, this has been dropped, so you are basically just using 3G to buy new books and surf wikipedia. Not worth it IMO.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure the free 3G has been scrapped on the new kindle touch?

From the Amazon site:

"Easiest to Use, Free 3G Wireless
    Kindle Touch 3G is our easiest-to-use, most-convenient Kindle because there is no wireless setup--you are ready to shop, download, and read right out of the box. Kindle Touch 3G uses the same wireless signals as cell phones, so you don't need to worry about Wi-Fi connections, passwords or internet charges. Unlike cell phones, with Kindle Touch 3G there are no monthly fees or commitments — Amazon pays for Kindle Touch 3G's wireless connectivity. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Alpish wrote: »
    "Easiest to Use, Free 3G Wireless
    Kindle Touch 3G is our easiest-to-use, most-convenient Kindle because there is no wireless setup--you are ready to shop, download, and read right out of the box. Kindle Touch 3G uses the same wireless signals as cell phones, so you don't need to worry about Wi-Fi connections, passwords or internet charges. Unlike cell phones, with Kindle Touch 3G there are no monthly fees or commitments — Amazon pays for Kindle Touch 3G's wireless connectivity. "

The 3G is free but on the new kindles you can only use it with a handful of sites and the Kindle store. On the older version you can use the browser to access any site you wanted; was very handy for checking your email while travelling in a foreign country.

Advertisement