Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of Arlene?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

A bigot and a homophobe, so my opinion on her has not changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

She's very potatoey

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Her party's politics are on the whole despicable and bigoted.

On the specific topic of Gay Marriage I'd say just one thing: most of our grandparents here would have thought ill of the concept as well.
    Associating non-acceptance of that with unionism is probably unfair. Conservatives will be conservatives. Many Irish politicians opposed abortion.

She seems grand, personally - and I would agree in terms of her way of presenting herself and capability in public speaking; above anything we currently have this end of the island.

If anything was remarkable about the interview, it's that Ryan had an agenda is is completely incapable of conducting an impartial interview.

It takes a lot to make someone who posts an Irish Tricolour in their forum signature to feel sorry for a DUP member but Ryan managed it. Speaks to how much of a spectacular wánker the man is.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

JJayoo wrote: »
    She's very potatoey

As in boiled, fried or mashed ..😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

She's an arsehole and I find it amazing that one very soft interview is able to change people's minds about her. She's terrible and has some awful views on a variety of issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 pineappleguru

Tubs, who typically runs a mile from asking tough or interrogative questions to guests, decided to give her a grilling on the gay marriage thing. I found it uncomfortable viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

She’s in a time warp, and that’s not of her own doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

sdanseo wrote: »

On the specific topic of Gay Marriage I'd say just one thing: most of our grandparents here would have thought ill of the concept as well.
    Associating non-acceptance of that with unionism is probably unfair. Conservatives will be conservatives. Many Irish politicians opposed abortion.

She seems grand, personally - and I would agree in terms of her way of presenting herself and capability in public speaking; above anything we currently have this end of the island.

If anything was remarkable about the interview, it's that Ryan had an agenda is is completely incapable of conducting an impartial interview.

It takes a lot to make someone who posts an Irish Tricolour in their forum signature to feel sorry for a DUP member but Ryan managed it. Speaks to how much of a spectacular wánker the man is.

The equivalent would be to say your grandparents had views of their grandparents in the age of their peers.

My grandparents had the views of people in their own age not from their grandparents age that would be weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

PressRun wrote: »
    I find it amazing that one very soft interview is able to change people's minds about her. .

Hasn’t changed opinions......... but has given perspective on her personal views. Her policies are atrocious. Not disputing that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Fccwontletmebe

Prefer Jolene but she took my man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

She is a politician she can play soft when she wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Didn't see it, but she was probably doing the old 1980's Ian and Rhonda Paisley thing of appearing on RTE chat shows and pretending they don't hate everybody in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Civilized people have no inclination towards bigotry... bigoted people understand very well, the need to appear civilized. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

No she isn't she is british and northern Irish don't be silly.

TBH i would be insulted if you called her Irish.

She is entitled to irish citizenship if she so wishes, the very same deal that anyone born in NI is entitled to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

No she isn't she is british and northern Irish don't be silly.

TBH i would be insulted if you called her Irish.

She obviously doesn't conform to your narrow version of Irishness but she is Irish all the same. She grew up 15 miles from where my father is from and a border or a difference in religion or her unionism doesn't make her any less Irish than him. Look up Irish in the dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

That Late Late Show must have been biblical in nature with Johnny Logan and Arlene on the bill. Pity it wasn't topped off with a Riverdance and Crystal Swing duet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

While she has her views on things and i have mine , I thought she came across quiet well . People have different views on things , so be it . You can see where her bitterness towards the ra came from , totally understandable .
    Its actually funny to see some of the comments directed at her and the names she's called on here , while the posters themselves are actually spitting venom and appear every bit as bitter as they would accuse her of being .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My thoughts on Arlene haven't changed much, but the interview reinforced my views on Tubs.

A shockingly poor interviewer. I think he got 2 or 3 facts wrong and had to he corrected. Then the whole it's 11pm, no it's 30sec to, right stop talking woman it's 11pm right now, right off you go again.

And of course his completely biased questioning on certain topics to make it look like he is a tough interviewer. Can't help but let his personal agenda and views come into an interview .

Amateur hour. Again.

You can say what you want about Pat the Plank but he wipes the floor with Ryan when it comes to intelligent interviews like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

While she has her views on things and i have mine , I thought she came across quiet well . People have different views on things , so be it . You can see where her bitterness towards the ra came from , totally understandable .
    Its actually funny to see some of the comments directed at her and the names she's called on here , while the posters themselves are actually spitting venom and appear every bit as bitter as they would accuse her of being .

Yes . that . is . a , very . interesting , point , you . make , there . wex . :D

But one could say, there is quite a few gaps in your argument. :pac:

However, there is also plenty of space for improvement! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

sdanseo wrote: »

But Foster is only 49 and I came across plenty people a generation older who voted in favour of SSM 5 years ago, attitudes and opinions can change but at the rate Foster and her ilk might, they will always lag behind.

She also said that she lost friends by attending Martin McGuinness' funeral, I was shocked by that (maybe I shouldn't), the man was deputy first minister! If that's the calibre of people that we want to share our country with, we have a long hard road ahead of us and a lot of concessions to make. I don't think too many people down here have thought this one out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So basically she has some REALLY bigoted friends then.

Well, ex friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Don’t be fooled boys and girls. Her and her party are a bunch of bigoted, narrow-minded, backward-thinking, reactionary, right-wing, British nationalists. Don’t fall for the “charm”, the sob stories, the “good neighbours” bull****. If they could build a wall separating this country along the border they would in a heart beat. Youse only think youse have gombeenism, these rats are never done scratching backs and back-handing brown envelopes and that’s before you even get into their xenophobic anti-Irish, anti-LGBT, anti-equality, anti-progressive racist views. They are truly nasty people, it’s disgusting that so many unionists and working class loyalists vote for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Politics can be a mucky oil business. Keeping everyone happy takes a lot of a person and the same can be said for most parties and party leaders. Up North, the DUP muscled out the UUP in order to counter SF muscled out the SDLP. What we have not up Noth seems to be happening all over the world. Arelens is not as bad as some think. If folks knew about politics they would understand what happens better.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

Seamai wrote: »
    But Foster is only 49 and I came across plenty people a generation older who voted in favour of SSM 5 years ago, attitudes and opinions can change but at the rate Foster and her ilk might, they will always lag behind.

She also said that she lost friends by attending Martin McGuinness' funeral, I was shocked by that (maybe I shouldn't), the man was deputy first minister! If that's the calibre of people that we want to share our country with, we have a long hard road ahead of us and a lot of concessions to make. I don't think too many people down here have thought this one out.

Agree with you here, despite the shouting from SF a UI is 20 years off still. If Brexit has taught us anything holding a referendum without explaining how it will work if passed is a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

As in boiled, fried or mashed ..😂😂

Boiled, definitely boiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

Seamai wrote: »
    But Foster is only 49 .

:eek: Seriously ? Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

trashcan wrote: »
    :eek: Seriously ? Wow.

I know, I knew she was younger than I thought but I was thinking mid to late 50's, that's what the Ulster fry morning after morning will do to you.

Also, her maiden name was Kelly, the second most common Irish name, that must stick in her craw, bet she was glad to change it to a good protestant name like Foster.

She came across quite well I think..Tubs is desperate, and was almost going out of his way to be ignorant a few times..her position on gay marriage was fair enough too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Yes . that . is . a , very . interesting , point , you . make , there . wex . :D

But one could say, there is quite a few gaps in your argument. :pac:

However, there is also plenty of space for improvement! :p
    What argument did i make . The op asked what people thought of AF so I said what I thought of her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,081 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

(Being devils advocate)
    Okay so across the divide ( I’m coming from a proud Gaelige donegal border background)...
    If it was YOU on the school bus, and your daddy was a target to be killed.... would you be angry and staunch??? It would harden me... is it not time to see the human stories on both sides and move forward

Ian Paisley Snr was a very affable, friendly man on a personal level too.

What exactly were people expecting Arlene to be? She does have to function as a human being and she does. So what?

I could throw a stone here and hit her home house, we are around the same age and grew up among the same fields and people. Yet her politics has tried to keep my people down for all of my life. That is what I see when she talks. I am not fooled by persona's for a second.

Advertisement