Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of Arlene?

Options
  • 01-02-2020 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

As title says what’s your opinion? I thought she was Extremely bullish in the past but the Late Late shows a different, almost human side. I can see where her staunchness has come from.....Is there a motive behind the timing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Most impressive politician on the TV this week by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I think a lot more of her than I do of Tubs after tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I look at her and get the impression she’d rather be anywhere else, doing any other job, Robinson looks like he’s had his fill too... they seem far removed from the ‘far’ right DUP hardcore which it seems do not permeate the upper echelon of the party so much maybe Sammy Wilson aside but he’s mostly bull and bluster these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

He's a lovely fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

A cracked Toby Jug that has attained limited sentience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Whilst she came across quite well, to the point that I'd even have a pint with her, definitely wouldn't bang her.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Whilst she came across quite well, to the point that I'd even have a pint with her, definitely wouldn't bang her.

No, she’d bang you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,272 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Strumms wrote: »
    I look at her and get the impression she’d rather be anywhere else, doing any other job, Robinson looks like he’s had his fill too... they seem far removed from the ‘far’ right DUP hardcore which it seems do not permeate the upper echelon of the party so much maybe Sammy Wilson aside but he’s mostly bull and bluster these days.
    Yep, apparently Ian Paisley Jr and the other holy rollers section had a bit of a falling out with Arlene.
    She has a brass neck, like a lot of DUP members, majority of politicians would have been thrown out of office after the RHI.

I think there were also probably people in the DUP that were glad London forced gay marriage and abortion legislation on NI, they knew the tide has changed and this way they get to complain about it being brought in but leave as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

An absolute c"nt, a fossilised one at that. Sooner she and any other dinosaurs go extinct in the world, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

she’s a pig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Does no one see a ‘slight’ human side to her? The bus she was on? Her father a target? That would make my blood boil and harden my hatred? But she chose to be in the south when brexit was official and share her family story. I don’t like her but I’m seeing more of who she is......

The DUP relationship with Westminster is hilariously akin to a teenager and their parents. Public proclaimatons of unity. DUP expect indefinite funding and to be left alone but the minute the parents suggest a modicum of accountability, they flounce off to their bedroom while still being nominally aware of their utter dependance on the parent and hoping it won't go terminally far.

Does no one see a ‘slight’ human side to her? The bus she was on? Her father a target? That would make my blood boil and harden my hatred? But she chose to be in the south when brexit was official and share her family story. I don’t like her but I’m seeing more of who she is......

Plenty of people lost loved ones in the troubles and didn't turn into bigots.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become one -> Arlene in a nutshell. She's of no good to anyone, and a danger for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think she comes from a divided area where her father was shot and her friends hurt and she is a product of that.

However there is no justification for her homophobia and some of her other views.

I don't trust her. I think her core views are not in line with basic human equality.

Of course she is human.

Its not their unionist side that bothers me about the DUP its the rest of their views that have nothing to do with unionism.

I don't think she is anti Irish ....I do think she is a homophobe though.

I think someone should ask her what gay people ever did to her!

Did gay people shoot her dad? Did gay people bomb people?

All I can say is before I saw a bull, now I have some sense of empathy,( I lost my father too) from empathy grows understanding of difference. I feel a bit different towards her attitudes when I see her spouting on utv live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I was just about to say the same thing, you take someone like Gordon Wilson who actually lost his daughter in the Enniskillen bombing, it didn't turn him. What worries me about Foster is that she's C.O.I. and they tend to be a bit more moderate in their views than members of the more fundamentalist churches.

I don't think she is anti Irish ....I do think she is a homophobe though.

I think someone should ask her what gay people ever did to her!

Did gay people shoot her dad? Did gay people bomb people?
    Just a theory: (all meant in jest ofc! :D)

Seriously though, why would anyone vote for her or even give her the time of day? She's actually a dinosaur.I mean you could say the same for Trump, a pure racist and misogynist. I just don't get it. I'd expect their kind of ideologies 100+ years back or at least in 'less evolved' parts of the world.
    theballz wrote: »
    she’s a pig.

That's offensive to pigs.

Okay I don’t trust her either but if it was you on the bus, or your daddy how would you feel.... just playing devils advocate. I can see where her views come from..... (but being a very proud Irish person)

• Advertisement

Okay I don’t trust her either but if it was you on the bus, or your daddy how would you feel.... just playing devils advocate. I can see where her views come from..... (but being a very proud Irish person)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

She started off well and the horrible bigoted Protestant came to the surface when Ryan mentioned same sex marriage and a United Ireland. She can go back to Sammy Wilsons naturist club where she belongs. I hope she heads bacmck to Blighty when we are united - within 20 years. Up the Republic.

That would be understandable.

I would totally understand if Arlene had a hesitancy or even a hartred towards Irish people.

However she is appearing on the late late show being quite nice to Irish people.

What did Gay people ever do to her?

Why does she have certain views on climate change?

I mean the heating (ash for cash ) scandal proved she is bent. But i mean our lot are bent too so ...

��

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

She did come across as sympathetic and much more of a real person than the pantomime villian she is portrayed as but then she blew it on the ssm portion of the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

That would be understandable.

I would totally understand if Arlene had a hesitancy or even a hartred towards Irish people.

However she is appearing on the late late show being quite nice to Irish people.

What did Gay people ever do to her?

Why does she have certain views on climate change?

I mean the heating (ash for cash ) scandal proved she is bent. But i mean our lot are bent too so ...

?? She is Irish herself

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

She's on record as saying she'd leave if there's a United Ireland, Slan abhaile Arlene.

(Being devils advocate)
    Okay so across the divide ( I’m coming from a proud Gaelige donegal border background)...
    If it was YOU on the school bus, and your daddy was a target to be killed.... would you be angry and staunch??? It would harden me... is it not time to see the human stories on both sides and move forward

?? She is Irish herself
    No she isn't she is british and northern Irish don't be silly.

TBH i would be insulted if you called her Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Not much TBH.

Advertisement