Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling house because of Youth problem

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

pinkyeye wrote: »
    1.6m in damages, would you get a grip. .

You'd build 5 houses for that. Talk about bs. :D:D:D:D

Ever heard of an apartment block? I can post a picture of one if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The entire thread is about people from a low income background. It can be dressed up with terms like "social housing estates" and all that but it's pretty clear what people are really getting at. Marganlised yes. Who represents them in the media? Who advocates on their behalf? When things go tits up at the top who suffers? It's always those are the bottom that suffer.

Paul Murphy
    Ruth Coppinger
    Richard Boyd Barrett
    Gino Kenny
    Mick Barry

That's just off the top of my head but the marginalised as you call them seem well represented to me.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I'm from a low income backgroud and grew up in a socioeconomically disadvantaged area (not in Dublin) and don't feel insulted or offended by any of the comments on this thread because neither I nor my family are scumbags.

Judge people on their character and behaviour rather than excusing them because their circumstances.
    Plenty of people grow up in areas like this without breaking the law, terrorising their neighbours and causing a negative atmosphere.
    We should all be held to the same standard regardless of upbringing and anyone who purposely intimidates & harasses their innocent neighbours are total scumbags, imo. No excuses.

Same.. I'm from a sh#*hole area.
    And I'm not one but offended by this thread.
    I wouldn't live in another council estate if you paid me, and Id die before I let me kids grow up in one. Same reason, my family are not scumbags. This scumbag generation is handed down. It'll never have an end to it.
    Reading through this thread and looking at the Google maps images another poster put up gives me the chills

• Registered Users Posts: 23,449 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The bad thing about the housing policy of mixed social/private is that it will become more and more difficult for ordinary working families to avoid the problems that go with social housing. And these problems are often really severe.

The OP is a perfect example of the issues being created.

Is it morally right that those families should have to endure this trouble?

I don't think it is.

Agree 100% with the poster who said there is no dragging up the neighbors here, everyone only gets pulled down to their level. Which is what they want. It's their goal in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway's Fana Glas
    A city councillor has revealed he hired a private drone to uncover the ‘destruction’ of a social housing development in Ballybane.

Scary how far it can go when not addressed rapidly.
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-life/drone-footage-of-fana-glas-area-in-ballybane/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The bad thing about the housing policy of mixed social/private is that it will become more and more difficult for ordinary working families to avoid the problems that go with social housing. And these problems are often really severe.

The OP is a perfect example of the issues being created.

Is it morally right that those families should have to endure this trouble?

I don't think it is.

Agree 100% with the poster who said there is no dragging up the neighbors here, everyone only gets pulled down to their level. Which is what they want. It's their goal in life.

There is unfortunately a default mindset that people in less affluent areas and situations should be almost exempt from the rule of law or sanctions when caught causing trouble or hurting their neighbor.... scumbag family see their neighbors going to work, buying a car, going away for a weekend or whatever..”I know, let’s rob their garage, let’s ignore our kids when they smash a football repeatedly off their car”...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,449 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

biko wrote: »
    Galway's Fana Glas
    A city councillor has revealed he hired a private drone to uncover the ‘destruction’ of a social housing development in Ballybane.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-life/drone-footage-of-fana-glas-area-in-ballybane/

Say to residents in Foxrock that there is going to be a traveller encampment with housing in the area and you'll see quick as lightning the moral superiority go up in smoke.

Yet for most of the rest in ordinary estates up and down the country it's really sad what is being forced to be endured.

Why are those people not evicted?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Galway's Fana Glas

That is fúcking disgusting and it's just allowed continue. It's a complete joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

We have a lot of anti social behaviour in our area as well. It can make it very intimidating walking around after dark. I always keep the head up and the hood up and salute the group or say hi, I've never really seen them advance on anyone but they're quite stand-offish.

A couple of months ago, I was walking home from the chipper and I'd gotten a double meal with two Cokes but I was going to eat the double meal myself in about fifteen seconds like an animal when I got home, so I only really wanted the one can. I also had a load of cheap chocolate from the local place that gets the expired ones out of bins or whatever and sells them on really cheap.

As I passed, I said "Cmere dye want a few twixes?" and gave them a packet
    "Ya fuekin legend" "Nice wan" "Oonrail"
    "Have a can as well lads. Enjoy yer weekend"

I didn't stay to talk then, indicating the chips, but now every time I pass we salute each other and we've chatted a few times for a while. I'm nearly thirty and they're between sixteen and eighteen but I find it interesting to hear what their lives are like. None of them are in school, basically only barely made it to JC, and they don't seem to give a sh!t about getting a job or doing much of anything except smoking weed or taking yokes. I don't give them any unsolicited advice or anything, just listen to what's happening with them.

My general sense is that they hate adults because we think they're wasters but they refuse to conform as some sort of power play. So to me, somebody moving house because of them is like vindicating their entire existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

pinkyeye wrote: »
    1.6m in damages, would you get a grip. .

You'd build 5 houses for that. Talk about bs. :D:D:D:D

It was arson. Insurance paid out €1.6 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Jizique wrote: »
    Presumably it’s an apartment complex

Correct.

My general sense is that they hate adults because we think they're wasters but they refuse to conform as some sort of power play. So to me, somebody moving house because of them is like vindicating their entire existence.

I’d rather vindicate and enable my own happiness, comfort and peace of mind so I can walk home safely rather then feel like I need to barter with them with confectionery to guarantee that I don’t get robbed, assaulted and abused every time I pass....

You’ll find yourself next running to the nearest Spar on the way home hoping to get there before it shuts so you have a few mars bars to hand to gain safe passage to home....

Nobody needs that shït.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

mondeo wrote: »
    I live in Dublin 24 area, We made a hard decision today that it is in our interest to sell our house for safety and peace reasons.The reason is Youths... Our house is a cornor house and has been the victim of stone throwing, our cars have been damaged in our driveways several times. Have CCTV and security motion activated lights, may aswell have nothing there at all. They don't care, these young lads are all around the place every night of the week, friday and saturday night in particular has become nerve wrecking.. I find myself running to the windows everytime our security lights are triggered to see who is out there. This is no way to live....

All of this has been happening over the past year, maybe a little longer. My partner doesn't want to live in the house anymore and neither do I. It's fine during the day time, after 7pm it's stressing us out. We are contacting an estate agent on Monday morning to get the ball rolling so we can get out of here. It's so sad since the house is all paid for and everything. We don't want to move terribly far because we work pretty close to our house. One thing is for sure, wherever we move to is not going to be anywhere near council estates ! Our house unfortunately is very near a council estate and this is where we believe these little scruffy bastads are spawning from. This could go on for years and years, so we are getting out now.
    Try this.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d rather vindicate and enable my own happiness, comfort and peace of mind so I can walk home safely rather then feel like I need to barter with them with confectionery to guarantee that I don’t get robbed, assaulted and abused every time I pass....

You’ll find yourself next running to the nearest Spar on the way home hoping to get there before it shuts so you have a few mars bars to hand to gain safe passage to home....

Nobody needs that shït.

That's not what happened afterwards at all. But I respect your decision too. If it's impacting on you that badly you should move if you can. All the best and I hope it gets sorted.

That's not what happened afterwards at all. But I respect your decision too. If it's impacting on you that badly you should move if you can. All the best and I hope it gets sorted.

It’s the same as what I had to endure, antisocial and threatening behavior. Got dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

We have a lot of anti social behaviour in our area as well. It can make it very intimidating walking around after dark. I always keep the head up and the hood up and salute the group or say hi, I've never really seen them advance on anyone but they're quite stand-offish.

A couple of months ago, I was walking home from the chipper and I'd gotten a double meal with two Cokes but I was going to eat the double meal myself in about fifteen seconds like an animal when I got home, so I only really wanted the one can. I also had a load of cheap chocolate from the local place that gets the expired ones out of bins or whatever and sells them on really cheap.

As I passed, I said "Cmere dye want a few twixes?" and gave them a packet
    "Ya fuekin legend" "Nice wan" "Oonrail"
    "Have a can as well lads. Enjoy yer weekend"

I didn't stay to talk then, indicating the chips, but now every time I pass we salute each other and we've chatted a few times for a while. I'm nearly thirty and they're between sixteen and eighteen but I find it interesting to hear what their lives are like. None of them are in school, basically only barely made it to JC, and they don't seem to give a sh!t about getting a job or doing much of anything except smoking weed or taking yokes. I don't give them any unsolicited advice or anything, just listen to what's happening with them.

Hmmm. :pac:

I get what you are saying in a way. These guys dont have a hope because of their environment, but that goes down to the parents.
    We should not be encouraging breeding of this nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

markodaly wrote: »
    Hmmm. :pac:

I get what you are saying in a way. These guys dont have a hope because of their environment, but that goes down to the parents.
    We should not be encouraging breeding of this nature.

We aren't encouraging it though, Mark. The government have taken over the churches role in doing that. Needs to be disincentivised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Was just thinking this whole thread was about one of them.

Strange, I've lived in various parts of tallaght for a few years over my life and never had a bother.

Local resident, ard mór is rough, mac uillaim is f***ing shocking, but the majority of Russell Square is fine. Sadly the front roads (the ones people see basically) are disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Strumms wrote: »

Nobody needs that shït.

I agree but I also think the poster you're replying to is getting at something important. When I was in my teens I moved from the country to a housing estate near a town and noticed immediately how differently adults in the neighbourhood reacted towards us as teenagers - from wariness/suspicion to outright aggression.

One example, me and my friend were out walking his dog through the estate one night when some random dog came running out and barking at us and we're trying to shoo it off, all of a sudden this man runs out of a house and starts squaring up at my friend shouting "What are you doing to my dog!" and digs him a headbutt. Me and my friend we're badly shaken after it, but it was indicative of the attitude adults had towards us.

When you're treated like that as a teenager it puts you in a negative/defensive mindset towards adults which often manifests in general misbehaviour as a childish way to say f*ck you.

As an adult now I can see both sides of it. People are scared and they react impulsively - however adults are supposed to be the adults in the situation...

I'm not excusing what the OP had to put up with or anything and completely empathise with their situation. I'm talking about more generally speaking, when you live in close quarters with other people sometimes there are reasonable compromises that could be made, that maybe in a perfect world you'd prefer not to have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Standman wrote: »
    One example, me and my friend were out walking his dog through the estate one night when some random dog came running out and barking at us and we're trying to shoo it off, all of a sudden this man runs out of a house and starts squaring up at my friend shouting "What are you doing to my dog!" and digs him a headbutt. Me and my friend we're badly shaken after it, but it was indicative of the attitude adults had towards us.

Indicative that you came across a thug. If you were 50 and smaller than him he'd have done the same.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Galway's Fana Glas

The good old ethnic minority, where would we be without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dude89

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

It's a no go area, even for the natives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

Sympathize with the op,theres bitterness on all sides these days,people are overworked and underpaid and people that don't work are bitter too about the preference immigrants get over them the indigenous Irish,so it will be passed through their kids to anybody doing well in life.

But i think a bigger point is the state making programmes glorifying crime and anti social behavour,Love Hate for example,if you watch these shows you are contributing to this behavour.

There is no argument to say its just real life etc etc and its just a portrayal of real life drama,imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and the state should not be on one hand fighting crime but on the other hand paying homage to the people they are trying to stop,makes no sense and some of the anti social behaviour and crime we see now belongs to that show.

A normal functioning society should be making shows about our Doctors our Nurses our Garda and Ban Garda who are the real people we should be glorifying,which is gonna make these lines of work more attractive to young people instead of one crime show after another,theres consequences for these shows being on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Contact Sinn Fein

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Galway's Fana Glas

And they had the gall to blame it on other people: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/galway-travellers-delighted-that-dumping-and-vandalism-exposed-1.3912804

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

and people that don't work are bitter too about the preference immigrants get over them the indigenous Irish

Bollox

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Ime it goes in 15-20 year cycles. The crop of scrotes get knocked up and/or goes to jail and the place quietens down. Then their kids grow up, come of age, and start causing trouble. I got the fcuk out of dodge when it started coming round again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

V glad you got the price you wanted OP & are out of that headwreck. Nightmare situation to be in. Friend of mine had s deposit on a house about 12 years ago and trotted down all innocent to the counry council office to ask about planning & explained why -the lively woman st ghe desk unrolled s map and strategic development plsn snd told her as a single woman living alone to get her deposit back -the whole are was ringfenced for council/socisl housing.It is now s well know blackspot and antisocial no go vortex with riots and gangs of 200+ often fighting on social media.

A few trips to planning desks might be worth your while as might checking on neighbours.ie (I think thats the right name) and area specific parts of boards. There is s new strategy of councils giving of loaning money (hundreds of millions) to registered charities and approved housing organisations who buy out parts of whole estates and entire appartment blocks in new builds and from nama. Massive orgs like Circle Housing & the like. Might be well worth a spreadsheet & a lot of research.Next house I buy will be detached, with s big fence a moat snd a few crocadiles. you can have bad neighbours snd lunatics and total scumbags anywhere but its really worth the fortnight or month of hard work pinning down where they definately are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement