Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling house because of Youth problem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Why don't they just make estates with 100% social housing, saving others grief from the prospect of gambling a house to be housed beside such dregs of society...?

The government will tell you its because they don't want to create ghettos. What the actual reason is, I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

The government will tell you its because they don't want to create ghettos. What the actual reason is, I do not know.

If they want to live in their own wastelands, let them. Why should others have to suffer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭victor8600

Why don't they just make estates with 100% social housing, saving others grief from the prospect of gambling a house to be housed beside such dregs of society...?

Because it won't work. The 100% social housing estate is likely to become barely inhabitable after some time. Look at the Ballymun flats situation.

IMO, the problem is not that 10% should be allocated for social housing, it is the lack of consequences for antisocial behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

victor8600 wrote: »
    Because it won't work. The 100% social housing estate is likely to become barely inhabitable after some time. Look at the Ballymun flats situation.

IMO, the problem is not that 10% should be allocated for social housing, it is the lack of consequences for antisocial behaviour.

Not to mention the fact that the people in the non-social housing houses will be directly on the receiving end of anti-social behaviour and their only choice is to move out because as we know, tackling it or calling the Gardai only entices the scrotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Think they already did this in the 80's and 90's, isn't Ballycraigh D24 completely social housing when it was developed ? I remember my Dad complaining when this place was built, saying many anti social issues popped up in and around Firhouse when Ballycraigh came to light.

I do wish the council would stop buying up property in private residential areas, but so many people are put into B&B's and hotels that I suppose they have no choice but to buy them up. Some council tenants are decent, some are not. Peter with his mortgage paid, going to work in his shirt and tie, and company car will have to live next door to Tracksuit John laughing like Dustin the Turkey with his mates at the front of his all expenses paid council gaf. They are just effing lucky to be getting a free house like this, really insane that people can get a 3 bedroom house for basically free and entitled to lived there for the rest of their lives, where as next door people are killing themselves to buy exactly the same house and giving away 50% + of their salary every month to cover mortgage payments.

Are we the fools going out and buying houses ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Isn't that just spreading the mess rather than containing or cleaning it though?

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭victor8600

mondeo wrote: »

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mondeo wrote:

I think we re fools to allow the financial sector to be so deeply involved in the creation of money, that has caused house prices to be so overly inflated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

Social inclusion. It is obscene to create social housing estates in isolated suburban areas, as was done in many cities. You will provide the highest quality of social housing possible, to give the greatest chance to children being raised in these homes. Thankfully, the government has learned their lesson on this point and have started to do the right thing. I have seen some beautiful new estates in inner city areas being built to highest standards in terms of build, energy efficiency, and dignity of living space. Besides, as many have noted, there are plenty of hard working people, considerate neighbours and such, who live in social housing. The whole system is rigged, making people who avail of social securities an easy scapegoat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Haven't read the entire thread but just on the 1st post I feel for the O.P.

I had a similar issue once. Kids sitting on a wall nearby. Noisy and their behavior was getting progressively worse. They were also attracting some undesirables into a quiet cul de sac.

I got some motor underseal and painted the top of the bricks with it. Problem was solved overnight.

p.s. Has anyone mentioned https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Haven't read the entire thread but just on the 1st post I feel for the O.P.

I had a similar issue once. Kids sitting on a wall nearby. Noisy and their behavior was getting progressively worse. They were also attracting some undesirables into a quiet cul de sac.

I got some motor underseal and painted the top of the bricks with it. Problem was solved overnight.

p.s. Has anyone mentioned https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito?

"Infringes on the human rights of young people" - literally fighting for their right to sell drugs and do as they like :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Because that worked oh so well in the past.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

"Infringes on the human rights of young people" - literally fighting for their right to sell drugs and do as they like :rolleyes:

I'd have a quite un PC reply but won't post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd have a quite un PC reply but won't post it here.

Ah go on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Is there any way to find out what neighbourhoods will be effected by this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

so fckn pathetic that people see here as only choice to run away and sell their own homes because no law or guards can do anything just promote such BS to go further.

whoever buys OPs place basically will inherit the issue :confused:

Think that guy few years back with hurley cracking skull was actually proper response that should be encouraged, not running away every time some t^ats decide to destroy peoples homes and make their lives constant misery, should be way forward to tackle youth gang issues, as parents basically encourage that behaviour, so what hope is there for future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

AulWan wrote: »
    Because that worked oh so well in the past.

Was it much worse than now? I mean countrywide.....was there less or more antisocial behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

The person who is interested will also be able to talk to garda, drive around at night and weekends and check it out

Is there any way to find out what neighbourhoods will be effected by this ?

I don't see how.

I was not informed by the Council when they purchased the house next door to me.

I only found out they had bought it when the Council hired contractors arrived to start gutting the house.

Was it much worse than now? I mean countrywide.....was there less or more antisocial behaviour

Correlation does not equal causation. there are a multitude of factors at play which govern the levels of anti-social behaviour.

FWIW, I think that yes...it was much worse in Dublin certainly. There were whole pockets of the city that were no-go areas. Have a look at the number of people walking / cycling around and though the Sherriff St area between now and 7pm tonight in suits, carrying laptops, on high end bikes etc. That just didn't happen for a quarter of a century.

Throw in the rest of Dublin 1, most of Finglas, all of Ballymun etc. There used to be much more general scumbag activity, IMO, compared to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The problem is the people who make these decisions will never find themselves living among the problem makers. A judge will never live in the corner house that is targeted by delinquents and so will never experience the full horror of what that entails. It's easy to intellectualise a problem/solution when that will never impact you.

Just had a GREAT idea for a reality TV series. Get one of these toffee nosed fooks to move in with the OP and live in the real world for an entire week (if they can last that long) Oh and leave them with the same disposable income each week the OP has after mortgage, car, bills etc.

RTE wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, Virgin Media though...

Blaizes wrote: »
    Even adding to that get an area without loads of young families, you’d definitely be better off living near retired pensioners.

Describes where we live to a T. The downside is that there are no kids around for our kids to play with, but that can be a double-edged sword anyway.

A bit concerned though as to what will happen in a few years when the pensioners all start dying off. Would be pricey enough to buy here but that doesn't seem to be stopping the councils these days.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

AulWan wrote: »
    I don't see how.

I was not informed by the Council when they purchased the house next door to me.

I only found out they had bought it when the Council hired contractors arrived to start gutting the house.

Christ so this could literally happen in any neighbourhood in dublin ?
    Even if all the houses are privately owned and have heavty mortgages attached ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Throw in the rest of Dublin 1, most of Finglas, all of Ballymun etc. There used to be much more general scumbag activity, IMO, compared to now.

The amount of absolute thuggery on the streets was way worse 40 years ago.

Sure didn't Bono used to get beaten up by the Black Catholics on a more or less weekly basis :)

I can remember being ushered out of Stephens Green one random Saturday afternoon by my mother because there were gangs of boot boys and punks fighting in the park in broad daylight.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I think it got worse since the media tried to promote MMA as our national sport and that fella from Dublin(he definitely had a Dublin accent) became a national hero overnight!?
    I literally feel sick for the op,. it's absolutely desperate, I lived in London a number of years back and I won't go into details but the Police and Council are GENUINELY and LITERALLY on top of such situations within days or weeks,.. this has to STOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Easy fix, any kids involves in anti social behaviour - stop the parents benefits. Issue guaranteed to be solve almost over night.

Christ so this could literally happen in any neighbourhood in dublin ?
    Even if all the houses are privately owned and have heavty mortgages attached ?

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

twinytwo wrote: »
    Easy fix, any kids involves in anti social behaviour - stop the parents benefits. Issue guaranteed to be solve almost over night.

And if the parents work?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

pablo128 wrote: »
    And if the parents work?

Fine them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Fine them

That means the Gardai have to do their jobs and arrest them first and bring them to court. Ain't gonna happen. They don't even turn up when you ring them. I have first hand experience of this.

The first time our home was bricked I ran after them and caught hold of the lad who threw it, while the neighbours watched on. I had him by the neck as I rang the Gardai. As I was ringing them, I was getting abused by the same neighbours. Turns out it was their little darling. They were still roaring abuse 15 minutes later as the Gardai turned up, and actually witnessed them. The only reason they came is because I said I had him by the neck.

Nothing came of it. We rang the council too and they said they couldn't do anything because they owned their house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

pablo128 wrote: »
    That means the Gardai have to do their jobs and arrest them first and bring them to court. Ain't gonna happen. They don't even turn up when you ring them. I have first hand experience of this.

The first time our home was bricked I ran after them and caught hold of the lad who threw it, while the neighbours watched on. I had him by the neck as I rang the Gardai. As I was ringing them, I was getting abused by the same neighbours. Turns out it was their little darling. They were still roaring abuse 15 minutes later as the Gardai turned up, and actually witnessed them. The only reason they came is because I said I had him by the neck.

Nothing came of it. We rang the council too and they said they couldn't do anything because they owned their house.

Should have fcuked him through their window. See how they like sh1t being thrown at their house.

Advertisement