Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling house because of Youth problem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

The entire thread is about having all social housing recipients together vs mixed with non social housing. The poster said "you don't bring scum to heel by putting them with decent folk", which is where the inference came from.

I still don't see anywhere in the post quoted or thread that says everyone in receipt of social housing is scum. You brought the inference in yourself.

Kamili wrote: »
    I still don't see anywhere in the post quoted or thread that says everyone in receipt of social housing is scum. You brought the inference in yourself.

It's a valid one to make if you follow the thread, hence my question.

Me:putting all social tenants in the one estate has not worked in the past. It's better to mix social with non social
    Him:you don't sort out scum by mixing them
    Me:so social = scum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭threeball

It's a valid one to make if you follow the thread, hence my question.

Me:putting all social tenants in the one estate has not worked in the past. It's better to mix social with non social
    Him:you don't sort out scum by mixing them
    Me:so social = scum?

Nope, its been said many times on the thread that the councils know who they are housing and are quite happy to lob a few scumbags into housing estates onto unsuspecting home owners who have basically crucified themselves with mortgages etc only for it all to come crashing down because the council literally don't care who they send where.
    Its bad enough that you get hammered with tax on your income and have to fork out ridiculous prices for tiny houses besides subsisting the knacker that moves in next door to the exact same house and never raised a finger in their life and is determined to make your life hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I hear this notion that the Council "know who they are housing" all the time and wonder where it comes from.

How exactly, to you think the Council "know" who they are housing? There may be a small amount of transferring tenants around, but most people housed are new applicants what would have no previous dealings with the local authority.

Do you think Local Authorities (have time and/or funds to) do a detailed background check on every applicant (and their spouse / partner / children?) before they house them?

threeball wrote: »
    Nope, its been said many times on the thread that the councils know who they are housing and are quite happy to lob a few scumbags into housing estates onto unsuspecting home owners who have basically crucified themselves with mortgages etc only for it all to come crashing down because the council literally don't care who they send where.
    Its bad enough that you get hammered with tax on your income and have to fork out ridiculous prices for tiny houses besides subsisting the knacker that moves in next door to the exact same house and never raised a finger in their life and is determined to make your life hell.

The whole point of this thread is to say that lumping all SW tenants into giant estates or blocks of flats is much worse than the situation you describe above. For almost everyone, especially society at large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

House is now Sale Agreed, that was pretty quick. We have already left the house in January. We are going house shopping in around D16 and D14. Our priority is to get a house nowhere near public housing. Naturally enough we have to get an additional small mortgage on top of what we get for the shthole in D24 to cover the public housing free zone we will move to. It's all good though, cant wait. No more Tallaght !! Absolutely thrilled is not the word to describe how we feel about leaving this kip. Like we won the lotto or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

mondeo wrote: »
    No more Tallaght !! Absolutely thrilled is not the word to describe how we feel about leaving this kip. Like we won the lotto or something.

There are perfectly good and nice areas in Tallaght. Please don't tar the whole area with the same generalised brush.

Good luck in your new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

AulWan wrote: »
    There are perfectly good and nice areas in Tallaght. Please don't tar the whole area with the same generalised brush.

I'm sure there is but to be honest I couldn't care less, we are out and that's all that matters as far as I am concerned. Safety first. But thanks for your wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s the same everywhere, there’s “parts” of Dundrum or, even, Dun Laoghaire that I, personally, wouldn’t want to live.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It’s the same everywhere, there’s “parts” of Dundrum or, even, Dun Laoghaire that I, personally, wouldn’t want to live.
    It isn't the same everywhere though tbh.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    It isn't the same everywhere though tbh.

Yes indeed, some areas are more overwhelmed by problems than others. I own a place in a beautifully maintained private estate in the D24 region where I have superb tenants, and their neighbours are good too. But not far away are constant problems that sometimes spill onto the estate. I am constantly getting notifications about security issues that threaten the peace of the estate. Where I live myself in D6 there is no such problem, indeed it is not at all everywhere. Yes criminality is carried out by all classes, but I enjoy a sense of peace where I live, but my tenants are always on the lookout where antisocial issues occur on the verge of their estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

House is now Sale Agreed, that was pretty quick. We have already left the house in January. We are going house shopping in around D16 and D14. Our priority is to get a house nowhere near public housing. Naturally enough we have to get an additional small mortgage on top of what we get for the shthole in D24 to cover the public housing free zone we will move to. It's all good though, cant wait. No more Tallaght !! Absolutely thrilled is not the word to describe how we feel about leaving this kip. Like we won the lotto or something.

Dont count your chickens if you're only sale agreed. Dont be jinxing yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Fair play, good outcome if you find somewhere quieter and more peaceful to live. I bet that for sale period was stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

That's exactly what someone in Tallaght would say. I don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What part of Tallaght was the house in?

Have you ever visited Tallaght?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

There are 3 or 4 no go area's that even people from Tallaght wouldn't venture in to. I seem to recall where the OP was living and it's a kip. But not the worst kip

Well I'm not from Tallaght. Lots of it is grand - normal suburbia. It's just we only hear of the negative stuff, which makes sense. We're not gonna be hearing about normalcy.

It's a big area in fairness - over 75,000.

There are 3 or 4 no go area's that even people from Tallaght wouldn't venture in to. I seem to recall where the OP was living and it's a kip. But not the worst kip

I asked earlier in the thread where it was and he didn't respond. From the OP, it's a private estate anyway.

I'd be curious how long it was going on for and how long the OP lived there if the house was fully paid for.

From what i can remember it was initially part private and part social but it has been overrun now and is pretty much all social with very high unemployment. If it is the same place i think i was actually up there yesterday and it is as bad as ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Awful whiff of lower class discrimination off this thread. All of societies woes are easiest to blame on those in society whose voices are marginalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ah right, so the reason they let their kids run feral and destroy everyone else's property and quality of life is because "their voices are marginalised" ? :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

Awful whiff of lower class discrimination off this thread. All of societies woes are easiest to blame on those in society whose voices are marginalised.

No no no

You have no idea what these area's are like. NONE

most objectionable individual behaviours are easy to blame on the individual in question

if you have a problem with that statement, you can take some of the blame too

You're the one who used the term "lower class"!

I don't give a shyte about the supposed class background of a person - just their behaviour. Has anyone blamed all of society's woes on those whose voices are marginalised? The latter to me are the disabled and sick and very elderly and their carers, living in fear of attacks by violent criminals. Or the quiet families just trying to live their best lives, fearing that they/their children will be preyed upon and having to endure intimidation by a powerful minority who always call the shots. Vulnerable they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Raconteuse wrote: »
    You're the one who used the term "lower class"!

I don't give a shyte about the supposed class background of a person - just their behaviour. Has anyone blamed all of society's woes on those whose voices are marginalised? The latter to me are the disabled and sick and very elderly and their carers, living in fear of attacks by violent criminals. Or the quiet families just trying to live their best lives, fearing that they/their children will be preyed upon and having to endure intimidation by a powerful minority who always call the shots.

The entire thread is about people from a low income background. It can be dressed up with terms like "social housing estates" and all that but it's pretty clear what people are really getting at. Marganlised yes. Who represents them in the media? Who advocates on their behalf? When things go tits up at the top who suffers? It's always those are the bottom that suffer.

The entire thread is about people from a low income background. It can be dressed up with terms like "social housing estates" and all that but it's pretty clear what people are really getting at. Marganlised yes. Who represents them in the media? Who advocates on their behalf? When things go tits up at the top who suffers? It's always those are the bottom that suffer.

Paul Murphy certainly represents this lot anyway

I find it frustrating when anti social behaviour and violent criminal behaviour are downplayed or even sidelined to tell people that they're looking down on absolutely anyone who lives in local authority housing/is in receipt of a low income, when all that's being looked down upon is the behaviour of some. And those living in the same neighbourhoods are the ones who have to endure the worst of the behaviour.

I don't think they appreciate excuses being made for the people making their lives a misery - by people who don't have to live near them.

As another member here once said, it's just another form of "I'm all right Jack."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I live in Dublin 24 area, We made a hard decision today that it is in our interest to sell our house for safety and peace reasons.The reason is Youths... Our house is a cornor house and has been the victim of stone throwing, our cars have been damaged in our driveways several times. Have CCTV and security motion activated lights, may aswell have nothing there at all. They don't care, these young lads are all around the place every night of the week, friday and saturday night in particular has become nerve wrecking.. I find myself running to the windows everytime our security lights are triggered to see who is out there. This is no way to live.... .

Did you ever try taking a sh*te over the wall where they normally stand?

Nothing clears a crowd like that. Not great for you going out the front to the car, but at least you'd know it's yours!

A few ****es and they'd soon relocate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

Who represents them in the media? Who advocates on their behalf?

The vast majority of our media and politicians whinge constantly about de most vulnerable. If they ever take a break it’s to blame de banks and de vulture funds.

The scobies who made the OP’s life a misery are not short of advocates. What they really need is the jackboot.

Advertisement