Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon EOS 1100D DSLR Camera + 18-55mm DC Lens (Refurb) - €220 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Can anyone tell me if this Canon is better than the Nikon 3100?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭CH3OH

260404.jpg

260403.jpg

This might be of interest if you can find one in a Tesco. There were 2 in Arklow located in the reduced section in the birthday party aisle
    Reduced to € 16
    including
    case
    8 Gb card
    Small Tripod
    Air Bottle
    Lens Brush
    3 cleaning cloths
    Lens Cleaning fluid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

loremolis wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if this Canon is better than the Nikon 3100?

Going purely on specs the D3100 seems to be slightly better. Full 1080p video, higher megapixels, higher ISO. However price wise the Canon is better as its refurbished your saving around €150 compared to buying new in-store. I'm no expert but that's what I got from a quick Google search. Both are the entry level for beginners for any novice starting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

DubDJ wrote: »
    Going purely on specs the D3100 seems to be slightly better. Full 1080p video, higher megapixels, higher ISO. However price wise the Canon is better as its refurbished your saving around €150 compared to buying new in-store. I'm no expert but that's what I got from a quick Google search. Both are the entry level for beginners for any novice starting out.

both are starter models. its down to preference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

It's very close alright. D3100 has the edge (slightly) on paper.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-1100D-vs-Nikon_D3100

Worth noting that the Nikon 50mm f1.8 costs twice as much as the Canon version, it is a better lens, but if overall budget is a concern the Canon comes out on top.

Both are entry level but I wouldn't say it's down to preference. Both cameras aren't the same specs or price so I'd say it's down to budget v slightly better specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gonna watch for more of these, just what I need atm.

ED E wrote: »
    Gonna watch for more of these, just what I need atm.

got my 600d today. need to find time to play with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Yahoo! Got my 1100D today. Been meaning to get an SLR for ages & what a great deal. I bought the £200 one & hadn't expected the extra zoom lense so it was a nice surprise. Bag ordered from Amazon too.

Just need to figure out how to use the damn thing now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bit of messing with a rejected photo from last week..

6LSSLu.jpg

.. not perfect (should have softened the edges a little more) but slowly learning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

started snaping today with the EOS 1100D...pics of the kids playing outside in the garden. Can't believe how good the quality is without me trying to do anything other than point and shoot!
    Can only imagine what this could do when you know what your doing!

How are people finding it going out and shooting around people? Feel a little weird? Or do you just block the passerbys out and focus on the photo? I havent gotten a bag yet but id imagine i'd feel strange being out and about.

Basq

you mentioned ISO settings on P13. And I said earlier in this thread that there is no ISO selection button on my EOS 1100D lens.
    So I can't adjust the ISO settings....how do I find out what the current ISO is on this lens?

jay0109 wrote: »
    Basq

you mentioned ISO settings on P13. And I said earlier in this thread that there is no ISO selection button on my EOS 1100D lens.
    So I can't adjust the ISO settings....how do I find out what the current ISO is on this lens?

The ISO is a setting on the camera, not the lens AFAIK. When you power on the camera the 'up' arrow is also a shortcut for ISO. Click it and then change the ISO between auto or manual. Manual goes from 100-6400.

16gb card, that Amazon basics bag and that Hama filter all just ordered on Amazon for delivery via Parcel Motel.
    And thats me done....no matter how juicy the add ons you lot post up here!!!

• Advertisement

16gb card, that Amazon basics bag and that Hama filter all just ordered on Amazon for delivery via Parcel Motel.

You might wanna look into a nice tripod and also the fixed 50mm lens. Another two additions that might come in handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hah, I ordered the exact same. I will get the 50mm lens at some stage. Why you use Parcel motel as opposed to direct to doorstep?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

After reading this thread I decided to bite the bullet and I got one as well, came two days after ordering and with the second lens, haven't a clue about photography but snapping away and trying to read up on this camera, can anyone recommend any good books, tutorials on it? Also can anyone recommend software to use, here's a few of my meagre attempts so far :D

nihicib2 wrote: »
    After reading this thread I decided to bite the bullet and I got one as well, came two days after ordering and with the second lens, haven't a clue about photography but snapping away and trying to read up on this camera, can anyone recommend any good books, tutorials on it? Also can anyone recommend software to use, here's a few of my meagre attempts so far :D

Do you really have 9,500 odd shots taken already?

Love the shot of the dogs nihicib2! :D

Regarding books.. here's two I mentioned earlier in the thread:
    Oh, and I picked up two books.. one is apparently renowned in the field of photography - it's 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson (122 reviews with over 100 of them being 5 stars) and another is a dedicated book for this camera - Canon Eos Rebel T3/1100D Guide to Digital SLR Photography by David Busch.
    Understanding Exposure is particularly excellent..

Software-wise - if you want a freebie, try GIMP or one of the Adobe packages such as Lightroom is fantastic on the upper end of the paid scale.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »

Software-wise - if you want a freebie, try GIMP or one of the Adobe packages such as Lightroom is fantastic on the upper end of the paid scale.

Darktable for Mac and Linux. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Do you really have 9,500 odd shots taken already?

God no, but used an old memory card and uploaded from iphoto if that makes a difference (like I said I have no clue about this stuff)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Thanks Basq, just nabbed the ebook versions of both wirelessly delivered from usenet.

Darktable for Mac and Linux. ;)
    Haven't heard of that..

.. but having googled it, looks identical to Lightroom (although free).

Will give it a shot.

RasTa wrote: »
    Hah, I ordered the exact same. I will get the 50mm lens at some stage. Why you use Parcel motel as opposed to direct to doorstep?

Why? Postage from Amazon (the most basic option) was working out at €17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Which 3 you get, my 3 came to £27. Class 10 card for 12 I think.

RasTa wrote: »
    Which 3 you get, my 3 came to £27. Class 10 card

yeah, mine was about that also but free postage via parcel motel.

Delivery is free to Ireland with Amazon for orders over £25. Choose "Super Save Delivery" at the end.

I assume Rasta is wondering why you didn't do the above!

Delivery is free to Ireland with Amazon for orders over £25. Choose "Super Save Delivery" at the end.

d'ooohhhh! Never spotted that. Ah well

One or more of your items must have not been direct from Amazon so..

.. as you'd have definitely qualified for Super Saver Delivery with all that.

• Advertisement

One or more of your items must have not been direct from Amazon so..

.. as you'd have definitely qualified for Super Saver Delivery with all that.

nope, they all were. I just put in the Parcel Motel NI address and never even bothered to try my own home address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

And have un-expired..

Bought! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭cazwhatever

YES! was waiting all weekend for it to come up again, finally bought! :)

Aaaaaaand... you can expire it again Basq!

Aaaaaaand... you can expire it again Basq!
    And done.. marked as 'Expired' again!

Oh, one more small purchase this morning.

58mm Macro Reverse Adapter Ring for Canon EOS EF/ EF-S Mount

20120815095834834.JPG

What in the sweet-dilly-hell is that? :confused:

Well, this essentially sits between the lens and the body to allow you to thread the lens on backwards, so it's becomes like a macro lens for extreme close-ups.

Macro-Reverse-Ring.jpg

:D

All for a measly €2!

And with that, I hear the sound Paypal accounts quickly being used..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ordered there now - please stop :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

And done.. marked as 'Expired' again!

Bargain teaser
    My willpower is fading:(
    Don't
    Stop toying with us with toys;)

BTW surely if you fit that lens backwards, you're going to get some decent selfies:D

• Advertisement

Here's a decent instruction and demonstration by a particularly nasally voiced man-child..

In summary, a) be very careful when threading and b) ensure to cover when not in use (as lens and electrical contacts is exposed).

Good stuff though - few screenshots to get the gist of what you can do:

5YU6xN.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Picked up mine last night. Total cost was €247.11 inc delivery for the £200 one. Very happy with it. Wanted a DSLR for the last few years and this was too good to pass up. The extra lens was a nice bonus.

A few goodies arrived today :D All perfect, although the Hama lens had a piece of metal sticking out but it just popped back in. The bag I ordered from Amazon was cheap but nice. Didn't like the look of the Amazon Basics one.

Here's a pic with everything packed away. Will only hold one lens but it'll do for now and loadsa space for accessories :D
    url]

Bag looks good DubDJ..

.. only picked the AmazonBasics bag up myself (along with the Hama UV Filter and Tripod - expecting those today or tomorrow!) but also looking for a bag for more than one lens.

Am in no real rush but definitely worth keeping an eye out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

This is the bag I went for:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111071726817

Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW DSLR Camera Sling Shoulder Bag Backpack Case

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ellie2

Been keeping an eye on this but missed it again today. I want to buy my first dslr, I'm going traveling in October for a couple of months, I'm debating between the 1100 and the 600. I know there's a huge difference in price but I am considering it an investment....anyone any advice. Thanks

• Advertisement

ellie2 wrote: »
    Been keeping an eye on this but missed it again today. I want to buy my first dslr, I'm going traveling in October for a couple of months, I'm debating between the 1100 and the 600. I know there's a huge difference in price but I am considering it an investment....anyone any advice. Thanks
    I have both. upgraded to the 600 last week after 2 years with the 1100 which I'm now selling.
    for a starter its great and if you get the slightly dearer deal you get a nice zoom.
    if its long term the 600 is good but you only get 1 lense. cost me 400€ with at least 150 for an IS zoom

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ellie2

Thanks tartan ska where did you buy it for 400. Cheapest I can see is amazon for £409 with £30 cash back. I can't figure out though what warranty is on it.
    Cheers

Sorry, here's the instructions.. worth a shot!

---

Was just messing with an increased shutter speed taking a photo of the kitchen tap with water running..

4AsiYQ.jpg

Kinda cool!

Tried that water tap pic with as high a shutter speed as possible...1/4000 and just lower. But the pics are coming back near pitch dark. So I use the flash and the shutter speed drops back to 1/200.
    Am reading up on this but not understanding why this is happening

Tried that water tap pic with as high a shutter speed as possible...1/4000 and just lower. But the pics are coming back near pitch dark. So I use the flash and the shutter speed drops back to 1/200.
    1/4000 is way too high.. not giving the light enough time to get through.. that's why it dark.

Mine was taken at 1/80.. but try 1/100 to 1/200 if needs be.

Your shutter can't sync with the flash any faster than 1/200. You'll just get a black bar covering some of the image.

Try it at the slower shutter speed, the flash will freeze the water for you. ...not literally, of course. :pac:

1/180 @ f11. 100 ISO (used an external flash though :D)

6745224123_74a73bf341_z.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement