Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon EOS 1100D DSLR Camera + 18-55mm DC Lens (Refurb) - €220 delivered

• 17-06-2013 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭

Been looking to dabble into the area of photography and DSLR...

.. so took a punt on this!

These are £279 on Amazon new, and think about €365 on Argos.ie.

Now I know they're refurbished, and I wouldn't normally go for them.. but it does come direct from Canon with a 1 year guarantee and it's a helluva saving.

EDIT: Oh, and I've included the Parcel Motel charge in this!

$(KGrHqMOKpoE4mf2BHMZBOPpw)NFWw~~_32.JPG?set_id=89040003C1
    Buy it @ Ebay
    The Canon EOS 1100D is the ideal introduction to the EOS system for first-time digital SLR users. An enthusiast’s camera, it will grow with you allowing you to explore your creativity as you gain experience and confidence. Easy-to-use, compact and lightweight it delivers a host of technology, including features found on Canon’s professional models, into the hands of the photography enthusiast.

Features include:

2.7” LCD screen for easy viewing and reviewing of shots
    12 Megapixels capture every scene in dazzling colour and brilliant detail
    HD movies (720p) with stereo sound, Dynamic IS and HDMI
    Feature Guide describes each mode and gives onscreen help
    New HD CMOS Pro sensor
    Creative Auto and Basic+ Modes allow you to manually adjust image settings

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Balls... gone already! :(

Anyone who is looking, keep an eye on it as it was in stock earlier and sold out quickly, and went in stock again a short time ago.

When I bought, Ebay were telling me there was 560 viewing it an hour, so definitely was a demand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Basq wrote: »
    EDIT: Oh, and I've included the Parcel Motel charge in this!

Just remember that Parcel Motel cover up to €100 on their delivery. Everything above that is on your risk.

zom wrote: »
    Just remember that Parcel Motel cover up to €100 on their delivery. Everything above that is on your risk.
    Yeah, am aware of that alright... but took the risk regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bonescap

I'm raging I missed this. Do people think its likely that they will put any more of these cameras up or can someone recommend somewhere to get a similar camera at around the same price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

bonescap wrote: »
    I'm raging I missed this. Do people think its likely that they will put any more of these cameras up or can someone recommend somewhere to get a similar camera at around the same price?

They seem to come up fairly often on ebay, so keep an eye on it. I have seen the offer posted fairly regularly on www.hotukdeals.com.

• Advertisement

Yep, they've came up three times in the last week on Canon's Ebay store, and numerous times before that, but this is the cheapest they've been.

See other HotUKDeals threads here!

Picked this up this morning.. don't think I've been as happy with a purchase in a long time!

Everything came extremely well packaged with accessories all still in plastic.

Not a scratch on the camera.. looks pristine tbh!

7fcB39.jpg
    7m3qSz.jpg
    77csiR.jpg
    7SBhCm.jpg

If it comes up again, do yourself a favour and pick one up!

Do it.. do it.. do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That is a great deal!

• Advertisement

Do it.. do it.. do it!

How do I add the parcel motel address to my paypal account and/or ebay account?! Help!

lindtee wrote: »
    How do I add the parcel motel address to my paypal account and/or ebay account?! Help!
    When you go to payment on Paypal, add in a new shipping address and make it:

<NAME>
    <PM ID>
    Parcel Motel, 1A McKinney Road
    Newtownabbey, Antrim
    BT36 4PE
    United Kingdom

Thanks Basq.

Just ordered! Had been after a decent (but good value) camera for a while and this fits the bill.

lindtee wrote: »
    Thanks Basq.

Just ordered! Had been after a decent (but good value) camera for a while and this fits the bill.
    Believe me.. the pictures above don't do it justice. Truly lovely of kit.

Took some of the money I saved on picking it up new, and already ordered this lens via Flubit for €85 (saving of €40 from Argos - BOOM!). The lens with it is grand, but heard this dedicated lens makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

cock, I bought this one for £199 this morning, and its only up now for £175 from the same supplier!

Inquitus wrote: »
    cock, I bought this one for £199 this morning, and its only up now for £175 from the same supplier!
    That's bizarre..

:confused:

Might be worth popping them an e-mail via Paypal and asking what gives..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Its back again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Believe me.. the pictures above don't do it justice. Truly lovely of kit.

Took some of the money I saved on picking it up new, and already ordered this lens via Flubit for €85 (saving of €40 from Argos - BOOM!). The lens with it is grand, but heard this dedicated lens makes a huge difference.

Some photos up on the random photos thread as soon as please!

Also great choice on the prime lens but 35mm might be better option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Jumped on this at £175.

I imagine I wouldnt take too much of a hit if it turned out that it wasnt for me at the end of the day.

adox wrote: »
    Some photos up on the random photos thread as soon as please!
    Will do.. I've Bryan Peterson's 'Understanding Exposure' on the Kindle for the weekend too. Heard great things about it!
    Yeah.. could be. But very pricey!

The "nifty fifty" is meant to be a solid step up in terms of the lens kit.. and only €85.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That applies to Nikon. Canon don't have an equivalent 35mm.

That applies to Nikon. Canon don't have an equivalent 35mm.

Ah my bad. Didnt realise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Also went for it, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

So, in this thread I:
    1. Learnt how to use Parcel Motel (including how to get a UK address onto my Irish paypal)
    2. Made the decision between the EOS 600D and 1100D based mainly on this fantastic price
    3. Cursed Basq for making me spend more money.

I love this forum!

Was just doing some shots there.. bloody loving it!

I realised I need to do a lot of reading and a lot of practice.. as everything in manual mode was blurry! :D

However, the presets (Closeup, Landscape) do a cracking job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Was just doing some shots there.. bloody loving it!

I realised I need to do a lot of reading and a lot of practice.. as everything in manual mode was blurry! :D

However, the presets (Closeup, Landscape) do a cracking job!

Now, lets never speak of presets again :pac:

I have a 40d and I'm still tempted to buy this, what the hell is wrong with me? :eek: I need to remember, it's only a bargain if you need it. IT'S ONLY A BARGAIN IF YOU NEED IT.... only..... 220.... euro.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Damn you Bargain Alerts, I don't need this camera, it's not pay day till next week, but ffs it's only €216.34, it'd be a shame not to .

Now to find bargain memory, case and lenses for it as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

great offer, and I've been thinking about this type of camera for a long time.
    Can people explain why they're immediately looking at getting a different lens...what's wrong with the 1 that comes with it?

jay0109 wrote: »
    great offer, and I've been thinking about this type of camera for a long time.
    Can people explain why they're immediately looking at getting a different lens...what's wrong with the 1 that comes with it?

There is nothing at all wrong with the lens that comes with it! You'll still take better pics with that camera and lens than you would with any point and shoot camera that I've ever used! You'll find further down the line, though, that you want nice bokeh and to use it in lower light with no flash, which is why a lot of people pick up the 50mm f1.8, or that you would want 'zoom' (well, you might, I never use telephoto lenses, I prefer wide), so that might inspire you to go for something with more mm behind it.

• Advertisement

thanks Quakles...think I understood most of that!
    Will you get some level of 'bokeh' from this lens? (thats my new word for today!)

1 last question as can't see any mention of it in the ad so presume that no memory card comes with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got the canon 550D from John Lewis for £314.95.
    I just hope it ships now:eek:

thanks Quakles...think I understood most of that!
    Will you get some level of 'bokeh' from this lens? (thats my new word for today!)

1 last question as can't see any mention of it in the ad so presume that no memory card comes with it?

You will get a certain amount, yes.. Go to Flickr and search for the lens name, there's groups of people showing examples of shots taken with it - might give you an idea of the quality you can achieve.

As for card, I dont have that particular camera, but none of the others I bought came with a memory card, so I wouldnt imagine it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

can someone explain the whole parcel motel thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    can someone explain the whole parcel motel thing?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056698663

No memory card with it actually..

.. luckily I'd a spare Class 10 8GB SDHC I picked up from Play.com last year.

• Advertisement

quick question, what address do you give for parcelmotel? I'm a bit :confused:

quick question, what address do you give for parcelmotel? I'm a bit :confused:
    See post 13..

See post 13..

oh ok so you get it delivered to the UK address then parcel motel delivers it to a parcel motel thats closest to you in Dublin?

oh ok so you get it delivered to the UK address then parcel motel delivers it to a parcel motel thats closest to you in Dublin?

Yep.

I always wanted this camera but it was like over 500euro but now at 220euro, you can't say no :)

• Advertisement

Dear Basq,

Thank you for deciding to take us all on a journey into the wonderful world of DSLR photography.

Being mostly used to 'point-and-click' cameras, we thank you for this opportunity and are looking forward to the Bargain Alert where you tell us what photography books and other accessories to buy at discounted prices so we can learn how to actually use our new cameras.

No pressure.

Sincerely,
    The New Canon Owners of Boards.ie

:P

has anyone recieved their new shiny camera yet? :D

Also, how much of a saving is it compared to buying new?

psicic wrote: »
    Dear Basq,

Thank you for deciding to take us all on a journey into the wonderful world of DSLR photography.

Being mostly used to 'point-and-click' cameras, we thank you for this opportunity and are looking forward to the Bargain Alert where you tell us what photography books and other accessories to buy at discounted prices so we can learn how to actually use our new cameras.

No pressure.

Sincerely,
    The New Canon Owners of Boards.ie

:P
    I'm learning the same as the rest of ye.. what I've picked up so far is:
    Still need to pick up a good case, and a mate of mine recommended picking up a good quality tripod.

Picked up the DX stuff for about €6.50 with the $5 voucher that was an evening or two back.

Oh, and I picked up two books.. one is apparently renowned in the field of photography - it's 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson (122 reviews with over 100 of them being 5 stars) and another is a dedicated book for this camera - Canon Eos Rebel T3/1100D Guide to Digital SLR Photography by David Busch.
    has anyone recieved their new shiny camera yet? :D
    Few photos of mine on front page - see here!
    Also, how much of a saving is it compared to buying new?
    Buying new - it's €360 in Currys, €365 in Argos and about €320 from Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm learning the same as the rest of ye.. what I've picked up so far is:
    Still need to pick up a good case, and a mate of mine recommended picking up a good quality tripod.

Picked up the DX stuff for about €6.50 with the $5 voucher that was an evening or two back.

Oh, and I picked up two books.. one is apparently renowned in the field of photography - it's 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson (122 reviews with over 100 of them being 5 stars) and another is a dedicated book for this camera - Canon Eos Rebel T3/1100D Guide to Digital SLR Photography by David Busch.

Few photos of mine on front page - see here!

Buying new - it's €360 in Currys, €365 in Argos and about €320 from Amazon.

don't skimp on the filter. get a hama.

No memory card with it actually..

.. luckily I'd a spare Class 10 8GB SDHC I picked up from Play.com last year.

thanks to all....I think! Just bought it despite PayPals best attempts to stop me but eventually got around it.

Does the memory card have to be of a certain spec for a camera like this or will any regular card work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Am i missing something here?

Dpreview give it an "OK" only review. "Not so good for: Photographers who focus on video, extreme low light photography or anything that requires fast continuous shooting"

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos1100d

Is the lens the "IS" version?

don't skimp on the filter. get a hama.
    Hmmm.. just googled them.. not expensive either.

Next order I put in at Amazon (probably shortly, as I have my eye on a case), I'll order one so.
    Does the memory card have to be of a certain spec for a camera like this or will any regular card work
    Any SD / SDHC card will work.. but if you're gonna use for HD video, maybe pick yourself up a Class 8 or Class 10 (let chance of losing frames, jittery video than the likes of a Class 2, with lower write speed).

A Class 10 16GB Sandisk SDHC is only £10 at the moment on Amazon.

thanks Basq....it'll be a busier summer than expected figuring out how to use this contraption!

Yeah, thanks for all the recommendations on the thread, Basq.

DX can be good for some of the extras, and the book suggestions look interesting.

bmm wrote: »
    Am i missing something here?

Dpreview give it an "OK" only review. "Not so good for: Photographers who focus on video, extreme low light photography or anything that requires fast continuous shooting"

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos1100d

Is the lens the "IS" version?
    Not the "IS" version AFAIK..

That's just one review tbh... I noticed a lot of the DSLR sites seem to have a habit of comparing apples and oranges (comparing it against DSLR's at a higher price range) - possibly due the popularity of Snapsort.com.

PhotographyBlog gave it 4.5 / 5, TechRadar gave it 4 / 5, DSLR Photograph gave it 85%, CNET gave it 4/5, T3 gave it 4 / 5 and these were all on the first 2 pages of a Google.

You'll be hard pushed to find a better reviewed DSLR close to this price tbh.. just don't go comparing it the likes of the 5D Mark II etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement