Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Joanna with a very good forecast just there! Upgrades likely tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Possible drifting mentioned on weather forecast there.....yarrrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

There is Monday's prolonged snowfall for the southern half of the country. Where that line across the country precisely is between the haves and have-nots remains to be nailed down.

fax72s.gif?0

On this chart, Munster, most of Connaught and most of Leinster having a fun day.

5 - 10 cms should be expected but more on high ground.

I know this is a silly annoying question, but how does the capital fare in that chart

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dancewithme

I wonder if that leahyl girl has seen your post kermit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Last 20hrs here in east Mayo

EQM5F5BX0AAB1je?format=png&name=small

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

TTLF wrote: »
    I know this is a silly annoying question, but how does the capital fare in that chart

I would imagine most of the snow would be south of Dublin to Galway. I'm hoping it moves north by about 100km so we can finally see some flakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

That feature i was talking about we will have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday to know exactly how far north it will go . At the moment looks like Galway and South Dublin line. There could be up to 5cm the Southern half of the country by Monday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Surprised at how wild it has gone here in the last 15 mins with frequent gusts over 40 knots. Quite the racket.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Surprised at how wild it has gone here in the last 15 mins with frequent gusts over 40 knots. Quite the racket.

same here in Castlebar. Rain belting off the windows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Where is here. I am here. Malahide

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

On this chart, Munster, most of Connaught and most of Leinster having a fun day.

The man from Del Monte says yes

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

I was just about to post the same, is there a small low passing over, looks like a small circulation on the radar. 5 miles south of Tuam.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Comparison of an ICON and EURO4 chart issued just before Storm Brendan on 13-1-20 and today's ICON 18Z and ARPEGE 12Z for this Sunday. ICON did better than ECM for Storm Brendan by far, ECM overestimated the wind speeds by about 10 km/h or so I would reckon and much more in the SE .Brendan's core and strongest winds stayed off the W coast that day keeping the strongest winds along the NW, W and S coasts.

Not as strong looking for the coasts on this run , the biggest difference is the higher and more sustained wind speeds inland combined with the heavy driving rain from this storm.

Jz950jM.png

OjgCEXU.png

iconeu_uk1-52-50-0_ivd4.png

iconeu_uk1-52-440_fwx1.png

arpegeuk-52-53-0_iwo2.png

anim_hqi5.gif

anim_iys6.gif

anim_rip1.gif

Accumulations from Fri day evening, Sat and Sunday

arpegeuk-25-58-0_joi2.png

konman wrote: »
    I was just about to post the same, is there a small low passing over, looks like a small circulation on the radar. 5 miles south of Tuam.

Hard to know, but looking at the isobar map (based on the GFS 12z) for the present moment, nothing seems untoward, except maybe the sharp wind shift that must be associated with some sort of trough.

rUrxwmq.png

New Moon

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Where is here. I am here. Malahide

:)

Tuam, the original and rightful capital of Ireland.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

It's a small circulation simulated by the upper atmosphere. Jet stream coming in from the southwest and winds blowing from the west in a much lower hpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Anyone remember a storm that developed on St Stephans Day back sometime in the early 90' i think.
    It was very bad for a good part of the day with lots of damage .From what i can remember the NW got hit the worst.
    The next morning it snowed and i remember the electricity been been out for a day and a half because crews could not get to faults because of all the snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Anyone remember a storm that developed on St Stephans Day back sometime in the early 90' i think.
    It was very bad for a good part of the day with lots of damage .From what i can remember the NW got hit the worst.
    The next morning it snowed and i remember the electricity been been out for a day and a half because crews could not get to faults because of all the snow

was it this one https://www.met.ie/cms/assets/uploads/2017/08/Dec1998_Storm.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Extremely windy here in Roscommon...

All quite again here now. Top 10m mean speed from that little spurt was 26 knots with with top gust of 45 knots. Nothing particularly heavy shower wise which makes it all the stranger.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    I would imagine most of the snow would be south of Dublin to Galway. I'm hoping it moves north by about 100km so we can finally see some flakes.

im south D by the mountains anyway, near Dundrum hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Hope I am right when I say that it may have been 1998. Really kicked off around lunchtime or just slightly after in Mayo and next day awoke to a nice fall of snow. Power gone for a few days after.
    Back to this evening- was fairly wild here about half an hour ago and in the real heavy squalls of rain that were beating off the window, I could make out either the very odd sleety flake and a little bit of hail mixed through it also. Has quitened down a bit again here.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

TTLF wrote: »
    im south D by the mountains anyway, near Dundrum hehe

I have a funny feeling we will get to see some snow falling at least this time ;) Also in South Dublin on the side of the Dublin Mountains ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

kittyn wrote: »
    I have a funny feeling we will get to see some snow falling at least this time ;) Also in South Dublin on the side of the Dublin Mountains ......

Dubs always have to jump in and make it about themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Leave kittyn alone. She's a lady. Everyone is entitled to wish for snow, be it Dublin or Skibereen.

kittyn wrote: »

Took long enough, no Snow here since March 3rd 2019 during that event where the middle of the country was 1-2C and 0C DP

Ninja snow that was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

There's another box checked off my event thread bingo card :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Good tanning weather this.

In a sun bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I wonder if that leahyl girl has seen your post kermit

She has indeed! Eeeek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I remember years ago Dublin Kilkenny and Wexford nearly always got snow in the winter.

Galway and Sligo too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

All quite again here now. Top 10m mean speed from that little spurt was 26 knots with with top gust of 45 knots. Nothing particularly heavy shower wise which makes it all the stranger.

Had it here in North Tipp earlier too. Was looking at the radar at the time and it looked like a squall line had developed. Still seems to be intact across the Midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭pauldry

LOUD thunder in Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

pauldry wrote: »
    LOUD thunder in Sligo

I heard it all the way South :) lots of hail too.

South Sligo
    90m asl

Pretzill wrote: »
    I heard it all the way South :) lots of hail too.

South Sligo
    90m asl

We had some hail not too much. Heavier hail a few miles South

5mm of rain so far from this

I'll say updated totals each day but hope my rain gauge survives

Ok so now its 3.7c and rains a bit sleety. This wasn't forecast was it?

Ninja Sleet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was just looking up the charts for convection on Sunday and the power and lights went out here followed by a clap of thunder ( the Omens are good ! )

Looking good for thunderstorms early Sunday morning ( especially in the SW ), tons of shear available, lapse rates ok, some very heavy bursts of rain .

anim_qui6.gif

DU8bPSq.png

Po0ORFs.png

oeQuiP6.png

TFruHvC.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ninja Sleet

tenor.gif?itemid=4961243

County Donegal doing well for snow tomorrow evening by the way. The forgotten county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

TFruHvC.png

Should this be a concern?
    Roughly where will the 'eye' track overland? How big is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

auspicious wrote: »

Well to the north of Ireland. It will hit Scotlands west coast.

• Advertisement

Ok so now its 3.7c and rains a bit sleety. This wasn't forecast was it?

Ninja Sleet

According to Arpege we'll be under -4 ish 850 hPa temps for a while tonight so some sleet likely in places, snow confined to above 700m asl. Milder air gradually moving in during the morning.

dvhHhul.png

The advancing cold air mass.

Showers turning increasingly wintry Late Sunday early Monday morning, turning more to snow showers during Monday and more so again during Tuesday.

qbS4xZ0.gif

anim_ort8.gif

Fairly crude basic maps but ECM did very well predicting the last bit of snow we had. Only a rough guide to where might get some accumulations I reckon.

KoMDsdy.png

c50Y8l2.png

QH4pcgk.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

The advancing cold air mass.

Showers turning increasingly wintry Late Sunday early Monday morning, turning more to snow showers during Monday and more so again during Tuesday.

QH4pcgk.png

I'll take 0.1cm

auspicious wrote: »

That chart is for wind sheer high up, it is one of the parameters when looking for convection and thunderstorms.

From Meteologix ' This map displays the forecast deep layer wind shear in the 0-4 mile (above ground) layer. This is calculated by taking the wind vector at the surface and subtracting it from the wind vector 4 miles above the surface. The more the wind strengthens with height, the higher the wind shear will be, and the more favorable the environment will be for severe thunderstorms. Note that other ingredients are equally important for severe weather, and high shear values do not guarantee severe storm development.'

You can see the the upper winds are moving at a slightly different direction , this aids shear. The center of the system is actually moving up near N of Scotland, see previous charts.

Just a glimpse of thunderstorm possibility, will know a bit more tomorrow evening , hard to predict how much or where but will have some idea of general probability.

YTa8mg4.png

The 528 dam line moving well S of Ireland by Tuesday.

R144hD2.gif

AX2UCEp.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

The 528 dam line moving well S of Ireland by Tuesday.

AX2UCEp.gif
    :(

• Advertisement

snowgal wrote: »
    :(

It's a good thing if you like snow :pac:

What does that mean exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

leahyl wrote: »
    What does that mean exactly?

The thickness of the air high up in the atmosphere, 528 usually indicates polar air

The thickness of the air high up in the atmosphere, 528 usually indicates polar air

Meaning that we would be enveloped by polar air?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

Rougies wrote: »
    It's a good thing if you like snow :pac:

:eek: I can’t read charts for crap so!!!! Thought I was getting a good handle on them... looks too far south for us in that chart??

• Advertisement
Advertisement