Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Graces7 wrote: »
    The emergency helicopter just flew over very low. . Please God no one is in danger

The wind chill out there!

Yes,rescue 118 just landed at Inisbiggle

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Where were you in the early hours of the morning? :-P Because I can tell you there was certainly a storm in Carlow town and I'm on the top floor of an apartment complex. The rain around 5.30am was unreal as well as the wind and a bit of lightening thrown into the mix. Seems Carlow castle sustained some damage as a result...

Carlow Castle is falling down the last few years anyway. I'm up since 5,got up early to storm watch and Carlow was not bad at all. Big difference between a ****e winters day and a category orange warning. It just didn't live up to the hype yet again.

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Ireland

Widespread wintry showers on Monday and Tuesday with some snowfall accumulations, especially in the west and north. Some disruption to travel is possible, particularly over higher routes.

Valid: 00:01 Monday 10/02/2020 to 23:59 Tuesday 11/02/2020

Issued: 12:00 Sunday 09/02/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tramore co Waterford
    9mMXJoT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Lots of strikes showing up across Mayo, North Galway and into the Midlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

How is there such a difference in ME radar and net weather lashing in Galway and showing on net weather on ME radar nothing showing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Storm 10 wrote: »
    How is there such a difference in ME radar and net weather lashing in Galway and showing on net weather on ME radar nothing showing

Showing rain on ME site for Galway for me. They get their data from the same source I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Graces7 wrote: »
    You mean..... lightning?

Yes, teachers were last week, and a couple of house rattlers here. Leaning against the patio door I could feel it vibrating with the rumbles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭savj2

Squall line over Mullingar now. Incredible gusts. Rain completely horrizontal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes, teachers were last week, and a couple of house rattlers here. Leaning against the patio door I could feel it vibrating with the rumbles :D

lol! Not seen/heard any here... yet

Squall after squall now and hard precipitation drumming on the roof and windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Mace Head gust 59 kt at 13Z

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BlueSkyDay

Hopefully some of the pro's will be along soon to talk about the snow potential for the next while.

Just looked at the Fish speak on netweather and mentions plenty of snow around.hope we get some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

How hard is to read the thread title? TECHNICAL DISCUSSION.

There's a chat thread where most of the last few pages of posts would be at home.

Nice thunderstorm here in Westport

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nice thunderstorm here in Westport

Huge rumble in Castlebar just there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

oHFlliC.jpg

This is a Technical discussion Thread only: Charts, Maps, Satellite Pics, Observations, Data, Forecasts etc , all other chat in event chat thread here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058052509

Please follow Moderators instructions, post in appropriate thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

More recent strikes

m6fHzUq.png

8O6AhJr.png

aSZ0AdN.png

The most recent convection line showing up well.

Plenty of big convective showers coming gin off the sea.

Still gusting here in Kerry into the 70's

U3P6Wfe.gif

jvpOmFY.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭sidcon

Dublin Airport just shuck with a load burst of Thunder followed by hailstones and very heavy rain

12Z analysis has that frontal trough over the country now dissipating, so weaker than forecast. However, Ciara's centre is 2 hPa lower than forecast.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020020912_000.png

• Advertisement

Satellite estimation of precipitation rate (mm/h) shows a fairly quiet period to come, but an area of more numerous showers further out west. Live link here.

502307.PNG

502306.PNG

Thunderstorm here in tuam
    BqlbTdq.jpg

2pm

Sherkin gusting 62 knots
    Mace head 52 knots
    Knock 51 knots

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The storm wasn't too bad here in Meath in terms of wind. The rain has been the more serious issue with plenty of flooding around side roads of Dunshaughlin and Ratoath. Lots of water logging in the fields. Local Facebook group urging people to drive on main roads instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Why are Met Eireann not mentioning the significant risk of snowfall tomorrow in the South? All models are showing it yet they continue with the old saying 'West and North'
    A bit more detail please Met Eireann you see the same charts as we do!!!

Regarding snow over the next few days, here are some GFS forecasts for 5 stations around the country for the 24 hours from 18Z Monday to 18Z Tuesday.

Still a marginal picture right at sea level, with snow just about melting in the lowest layers. Nearer to 100 metres, though (e.g. Ballyhaise) it may just be the right side of marginal during nighttime hours, and further higher again no problem day or night.

Belmullet
    502317.png

Finner
    502316.png

Gurteen
    502315.png

Casement
    502318.PNG

Knock
    502319.png

Belmullet
    W5DCpbd.jpg

Here comes the cold air mass and the wintry showers all the while staying in a very fresh W'ly airflow but looks like it wont turn wintry until later this evening/ early Monday.

ECM not bad in predicting where snow might accumulate, not great on the depths but gives a bit of an idea.

Feeling bitter cold in the wind giving a considerable windchill.

anim_zar0.gif

anim_zxt1.gif

DZ7rMkz.gif

anim_xfu1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Impressive Sat Image showers should start pilling in from the west all the way from Labrador Sea uppers around - 20c
    rhQtOyd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Poolbeg took a belting at full tide (pic added).

502327.jpg

Advertisement