Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Compared to last week westerly this is somewhat different, showers will penetrate far inland, less modifications even the east coast might have some wintry type precipitation. It will be fast moving leaving a dusting on high grounds during Monday and Tuesday even Wednesday. There's an interesting feature with a more prolonged band of sleet and snow moving in from the west on Monday night, one to watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    ESB Crews will have their work cut out for them

they certainly will. Storm Ciara could last more than 24 hours in parts of the west, Kerry in particular and winds of over 100km/h in built up areas. The GFS is looking far more conservative compared to the ECM, Icon and Arpege, will be interesting to see who is right. We should get a much better idea by tomorrow evening what we are in store for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Where could I buy a cheap rain gauge

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

Where could I buy a cheap rain gauge

You can make one cheap using a cylinder shape and a ruler lots of videos on howto online

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »
    Sunday 3pm see's winds dropping slightly across much of the country, but if anything gaining strength across the south and far north.

space.png

Poor Kerry still getting hit hard:
    space.png

6pm Sunday, the storm moves into the Uk, Ireland is still fairly windy with gusts up to 90km/h in many places, thats 12 hours of very gusty and windy conditions. Kerry still taking the brunt of it.

space.png

The ECM wants to keep gusts of over 100km/h in Kerry till 6am Monday morning, a full 24 hour window of gusts.

The far western coastal areas still look very gusty all through Monday with winds over 100km/h for most of the day.

Ouch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

12Z ECM mean winds at 100 metres amsl. That core of gold hurricane-force winds should get into the Belmullet before 6 am Sunday morning, then another larger core off the Donegal coast in the afternoon. Reduce these winds by about 30% to get the 10-metre mean, but add about 8% to get the likely gusts. That gives around 45-knot mean winds with max gusts up to around 65-68 knots in that area.

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2020020712_039.jpg

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2020020712_048.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Gonzo wrote: »
    Sunday 3p

Poor Kerry still getting hit hard:
    You would think Kerry would be in an orange warning then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Tomorrow's frontal passage does look interesting alright. Slow moving convergence zone moving NW to SE. Could dump a lot of rain in a short space of time in places.
    Still up in the air as to exactly what sort of a dumping will come from Ciara's back passage also:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

hawkwing wrote: »
    Still up in the air as to exactly what sort of a dumping will come from Ciara's back passage also:confused:

Ooohhhh matron

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is there any way these weather warning threads could have the coloured scary banner back on the OP like in the old days!

It would make many more sit up and take notice I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oops I see a banner! Must go to spec savers

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Pangea wrote: »
    You would think Kerry would be in an orange warning then?

Orange warnings are for 2morrow...Met eireann will update for Sunday tomorrow would expect Kerry to be in the orange by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

lcasey90 wrote: »
    You can make one cheap using a cylinder shape and a ruler lots of videos on howto online

Cheers I’ll check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

We can compare this Friday evenings wind with Sunday if it materialises.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is Monday's prolonged snowfall for the southern half of the country. Where that line across the country precisely is between the haves and have-nots remains to be nailed down.

fax72s.gif?0

On this chart, Munster, most of Connaught and most of Leinster having a fun day.

5 - 10 cms should be expected but more on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

There is Monday's prolonged snowfall for the southern half of the country. Where that line across the country precisely is between the haves and have-nots remains to be nailed down.

fax72s.gif?0

On this chart, Munster, most of Connaught and most of Leinster having a fun day.

Here's to hoping we get some in cork city, none this year yet! Judging by the charts it seems to be a small circle of cork city with none but the rest with!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

We had snow 2 weeks back in many parts of highground Cork? Anyway I agree with Kermit the charts look quite tasty for the South on Monday afternoon...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Probability maps for Sunday morn regarding gust speeds in excess of 48 knots and 64 knots respectively.

XnPCQzd.png

seNqCiy.png

High for the former over most of the country, but pretty low, away from hills and exposed coasts, for the latter.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

We had snow 2 weeks back in many parts of highground Cork? Anyway I agree with Kermit the charts look quite tasty for the South on Monday afternoon...

Hence the "city" part! Only had a few brief showers here with very wet snow or else very small parts.

hawkwing wrote: »

giphy.gif

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Joanna with a very good forecast just there! Upgrades likely tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Possible drifting mentioned on weather forecast there.....yarrrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

fax72s.gif?0

I know this is a silly annoying question, but how does the capital fare in that chart

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dancewithme

I wonder if that leahyl girl has seen your post kermit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Last 20hrs here in east Mayo

EQM5F5BX0AAB1je?format=png&name=small

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

TTLF wrote: »
    I know this is a silly annoying question, but how does the capital fare in that chart

I would imagine most of the snow would be south of Dublin to Galway. I'm hoping it moves north by about 100km so we can finally see some flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

That feature i was talking about we will have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday to know exactly how far north it will go . At the moment looks like Galway and South Dublin line. There could be up to 5cm the Southern half of the country by Monday evening.

Surprised at how wild it has gone here in the last 15 mins with frequent gusts over 40 knots. Quite the racket.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Surprised at how wild it has gone here in the last 15 mins with frequent gusts over 40 knots. Quite the racket.

same here in Castlebar. Rain belting off the windows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Where is here. I am here. Malahide

:)

Advertisement