Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

CP2077. I am so tired of hearing about this game. Looks like a million other first person shooter games. Stripping the technology problems and achievements aside, what is special about this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I don't really see what's so crazy about a 2 year old demo being smoke and mirrors tbh.

Feels like that describes most E3 demos

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

CP2077. I am so tired of hearing about this game. Looks like a million other first person shooter games. Stripping the technology problems and achievements aside, what is special about this game?

Emmm, for someone complaining about hearing about the game too much you don't seem to be aware its not actually a first person shooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

Azza wrote: »
    Emmm, for someone complaining about hearing about the game too much you don't seem to be aware its not actually a first person shooter.

Ok it's first person and you shoot :)
    Apart from that what's special about it ?
    (Will Google, sorry for noise :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It's a first person RPG in the vein of Oblivion, Witcher 3 etc.

It's always hard to discern differences with really big budget games because the art pipeline is so gigantic there's not much scope for experimentation in the game design. It's more of a OMGs there's 300 hours of missions for you to complete kind of buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1352707290080665600?s=19

Such a shame

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1352625698800734209?s=19

I assume GamePass will eventually see a price hike following this too. Microsoft aren't a charity afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Link in tweet says they've cancelled price change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, seems so. "Xbox U-turns on Gold subscription price hike after fan backlash" - GamesIndustry.biz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jeeeezus!! The Tony Hawks remake was so good and they were hinting about remaking 3 & 4, possibly underground.

**** Blizzard :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Yeah, seems so. "Xbox U-turns on Gold subscription price hike after fan backlash" - GamesIndustry.biz

They'll come back with a less egregious price hike and people will accept it because it won't look as bad.

Door in the face technique, seems to the standard thing in the gaming industry now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Jeeeezus!! The Tony Hawks remake was so good and they were hinting about remaking 3 & 4, possibly underground.

**** Blizzard :(
    More details coming out about that now...

Blizzard Absorbs Activision Studio After Dismantling Classic Games Team

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1352766999823314949?s=19

Sucks for me as VV are a great studio and i haven't cared about a Blizzard game since rock and roll reaching in 1993.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I see TenCent have acquired majority control of Klei Entertainment (Mark or the Ninja, Invisible inc.). The former truly is a behemoth at this stage, hopefully if nothing else Klei can retain some degree of autonomy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

pixelburp wrote: »
    I see TenCent have acquired majority control of Klei Entertainment (Mark or the Ninja, Invisible inc.). The former truly is a behemoth at this stage, hopefully if nothing else Klei can retain some degree of autonomy.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm a big fan of their work, so hopefully Jamie Cheng (Klei's founder) is right when he says;
    As part of this agreement, Klei retains full autonomy of creative and operations across all aspects of the studio, including projects, talent, and more, There are some boring accounting changes that we will need to adjust to. Other than that, I will continue running the studio as before, with no changes to staffing, projects or other operations.

Sucks for me as VV are a great studio and i haven't cared about a Blizzard game since rock and roll reaching in 1993.

Most smaller companies seem to be getting swallowed up by larger ones now. Amazon, Google, Sony and Microsoft are all looking at studios large and small as are Tencent.

Apparently they are looking at buying a bigger fish soon.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1352281993493544963?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

How about ActiBlizzard, those guys are used to kowtowing to Xinnie the Pooh anyway.

Rumour that China is going to nationalise alibaba and ant, as part of their digital yuan stuff.

Tencent could be next, also zero chance tencent won't interfere with their new purchases even if that doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

TBF if its not Bioware i'd be ok with that....

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    TBF if its not Bioware i'd be ok with that....

Yea same, they might as well be a completely different studio to the one that made the original.

Seen as how this is gonna be a reboot anyway I see no harm in letting someone else have a crack at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Larian or Obsidian, please.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Larian or Obsidian, please.

Obsidian are making 4 or 5 other games at the minute so it almost certainly won't be them. Apparently its a lesser known studio that is working on it.

Markitron wrote: »
    Obsidian are making 4 or 5 other games at the minute so it almost certainly won't be them. Apparently its a lesser known studio that is working on it.

Wonder if its Archetype Entertainment which was recently founded by ex Bioware staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

ERG89 wrote: »
    Wonder if its Archetype Entertainment which was recently founded by ex Bioware staff.

That would be a real kick in the teeth for Bioware.

Vicxas wrote: »
    That would be a real kick in the teeth for Bioware.

Fair to say they probably need a good kick in the teeth atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Kevin Hart to play Roland in Borderlands movie

https://twitter.com/Borderlands/status/1354130443759620096?s=19

I like Kevin Hart but I don't see that at all.

Is anyone asking for a Borderlands movie??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Just to note, Cate Blanchett is playing Lilith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Kevin Hart to play Roland in Borderlands movie

https://twitter.com/Borderlands/status/1354130443759620096?s=19

Calling it now Dwayne Johnson to play Brick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Varik wrote: »
    I like Kevin Hart but I don't see that at all.

It smells of pretty uninspired casting; a comedy movie needs a black guy so of course they go for the most famous / obvious black Hollywood comic ATM. Not sure who I would have gone for myself but not Hart either. A good character actor with comedic timing at a start, not this generation's Chris Tucker lol. Mind you, I'd call Hart too shrill & annoying but given Borderlands' humour is already pretty grating, maybe it's a perfect match

Borderlands doesn't really do much with the player characters in their own games you only really lean anything about them through collectables and the sequels.

But the character he's playing is already black and wasn't really comic at all, he was more about rousing speeches than jokes. There's a bunch of black action stars I'd have though of before Kevin hart, if he was still around I'd have said Chadwick Boseman would have been the studio pick first preference. There's probably a few dozen click bait articles written since this movie was first mentions with idris elba's name on most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

ERG89 wrote: »
    Is anyone asking for a Borderlands movie??

Snore
    Zzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It smells of pretty uninspired casting; a comedy movie needs a black guy so of course they go for the most famous / obvious black Hollywood comic ATM. Not sure who I would have gone for myself but not Hart either. A good character actor with comedic timing at a start, not this generation's Chris Tucker lol. Mind you, I'd call Hart too shrill & annoying but given Borderlands' humour is already pretty grating, maybe it's a perfect match

Missed opportunity :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't see how the game would translate into a movie at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,845 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Take away the gunplay from borderlands and all you've got is regurgitated memes and try hard zaniness.

I don't see it being good.

Jensenineveraskedforthis.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Who would play Handsome Jack?

:confused: Roland is a black guy, the character they are casting for is a black guy therefore it makes sense to cast a black actor. Why would a comedy "need" a black guy? As for the casting itself...it's just wrong. Roland is supposed to be a buff, stoic, straight guy type. He's also tall. Kevin Hart is none of those things lol

You misread. Kevin Hart is Hollywood's most famous (profitable) black comedic-actor ATM, so of course he gets cast in a comedy that has a black member of its cast. That's the bit that just strikes as lazy, especially as Roland wasn't really a joker in the cast. Unless Hart is going to play it straight, in which case why bother hiring him at all except because "black guy in a comedy" means Hart's agent gets a call.

Anyway, I forgot this is being directed by Eli Roth so all the good casting in the world Can't paper over that particular crack.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Take away the gunplay from borderlands and all you've got is regurgitated memes and try hard zaniness.

I don't see it being good.

Jensenineveraskedforthis.png

Hopefully the writers of the movie have better ideas than 'lets take pickle Rick and put him in the game for no reason whatsoever other than R&M fans might laugh at it'.

All this talk of films about games is great timing with the latest Honest Trailers. Maaaaan this is so good (as in bad.... very very bad). I remember watching this as a kid and being so confused how they could get something so wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭McFly85

All this talk of films about games is great timing with the latest Honest Trailers. Maaaaan this is so good (as in bad.... very very bad). I remember watching this as a kid and being so confused how they could get something so wrong.

I was OBSESSED with SF2 growing up. The arcade in the bowler had at least 3 machines and they were always in use-I shudder to think about how many 20ps I used in them.

So I went to the cinema to see this on the opening weekend, and couldn’t believe how terrible it was. It was some guys dressed like street fighter characters in a completely different film! Since then though I have learned to appreciate it for the comedy masterpiece it was clearly meant to be :D

And in fairness, it wasn’t the worst street fighter disappointment in my young life, that award goes to the god awful US Gold Amiga port I got for Christmas. I wouldn’t even consider it playable.

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Raul Julia's performance was so unfairly snubbed at the Oscars!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Azza wrote: »
    Raul Julia's performance was so unfairly snubbed at the Oscars!

Wasn't that his last role? What a terrible way to go out...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,845 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wasn't that his last role? What a terrible way to go out...

He did it because his kids begged him to do it. And it looks like he was having the time of his life hamming it up and leaving teeth marks all over the set while slowly dying. He is the best thing about the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'd hate to say it but probably Ryan Reynolds.

Hugh Jackman gets my vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Street Fighter movie is my guilty pleasure. I know it's awful, but its definitely my favourite bad movie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Funnily enough, the Street Fighter movie was just added to Amazon Prime today so you can relive its awfulness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Surprised a grand theft auto movie was never made

The fact that it's one of JCVD's worst films speaks volumes.

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Surprised a grand theft auto movie was never made

Wouldn't be worth the twitterstorm

Advertisement