Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Metal Gear Solid like a film based on a Rockstar game doesn't make sense to me when the games stories are just amalgamations of scenes from much better films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid like a film based on a Rockstar game doesn't make sense to me when the games stories are just amalgamations of scenes from much better films.

It entirely depends on what version of MSG is being looked for here: the sanctimonious, first-year politics undergraduate polemic, or the goofy OTT spy thriller with giant robots and melodramtic antagonists.

The latter would be eminently more watchable than the former, and Vogt-Roberts seems like the director who might be asked to do the latter - if he's allowed to. I suspect there's a very real risk of "creative differences" if Kojima is allowed any kinda of input. In fact I'd nearly put money on Vogt-Roberts walking at some point in this production.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No fear of Kojima having a say. Konami own the franchise and Kojima isn't with them anymore.

And from hearing about Jeremy Blaustein working with Kojima, he would be a complete disaster if he had a say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No fear of Kojima having a say. Konami own the franchise and Kojima isn't with them anymore.

And from hearing about Jeremy Blaustein working with Kojima, he would be a complete disaster if he had a say.

Ah yes, of course. Completely forgot about the Konami-Kojima split. Well, that's small mercies then, though would still wonder as to what kind of film Konami or the studio might ask for here. It's a deeply schizophrenic franchise.

Given how corporate and artistically bankrupt Konami have become I'm guessing their only stipulation is they make money from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭McFly85

I just hope they stay true to the source material and have 70% of the film be exposition through codec. The rest can be snake fighting giant robots while trying to find a CD case with Meryls frequency on it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Given how corporate and artistically bankrupt Konami have become I'm guessing their only stipulation is they make money from it.

Featuring Dwayne Johnson as Solid Snake. Justin Bieber as Raiden. Peter Stormare as Liquid Ocelot. And, Charlize Theron as The Boss!

Or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/SuperDarkMimeIV/status/1335923322312400900

The literally tried to put everything on Nintendo DS

Kiith wrote: »
    Featuring Dwayne Johnson as Solid Snake. Justin Bieber as Raiden. Peter Stormare as Liquid Ocelot. And, Charlize Theron as The Boss!

Or something like that.

She would actually be pretty good in that role

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

https://www.pcgamer.com/medal-of-honor-above-and-beyond-is-set-to-become-2020s-biggest-install-at-launch/

I was interested in this when I heard it was no longer an Oculus Rift exclusive.

But 340GB...WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,677 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Azza wrote: »
    https://www.pcgamer.com/medal-of-honor-above-and-beyond-is-set-to-become-2020s-biggest-install-at-launch/

I was interested in this when I heard it was no longer an Oculus Rift exclusive.

But 340GB...WTF?

RTX 2080 minimum?

I mean, being a VR title drastically limits its commercial potential in the first place. But I think that GPU requirement makes it next level niche!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah that's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Azza wrote: »

But 340GB...WTF?

A 2080 for minimum reqs? How many people have a VR headset and 2080 or better card, and on top of that the 340 gb space required.

No way I would bother buying a new Graphics card to run this.

I guess I will give this a look whenever I get around to upgrading my PC in 2 or 3 years, or if there is a PS VR 2 version or something.

Also, min req of a Intel i7 9700K (which I actually have), is also pretty nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

A game coming out next year requiring last years high end isn't particularly batty. This sort of thing used always happen back in the day. I mean I see people benchmarking machines with Rise of the Tomb Raider and stuff like that it's time we had a few more games nothing can run at high settings. 1T and 2T SSD drives are getting cheaper all the time.

edit: looked at some gameplay on Youtube there. It doesn't look THAT good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

A game coming out next year requiring last years high end isn't particularly batty. This sort of thing used always happen back in the day. I mean I see people benchmarking machines with Rise of the Tomb Raider and stuff like that it's time we had a few more games nothing can run at high settings. 1T and 2T SSD drives are getting cheaper all the time.

Half Life Alyx looks far better than it and doesn't require anywhere near the level of hardware.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is very scalable.

These are MINIMUM requirements!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Cyberpunk2077. getting a lot of 7/10 scores. Im very surprised and disappointed

Ill wait for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Parsnips wrote: »

Mostly because it's a buggy mess atm, from what I've read/seen it is riddled with more than just slight bugs. Reviewers are reporting multiple cloned NPC, NPC bugging out completely or randomly appearing, some of them repeating their lines over and over out of conteext - also numerous graphical glicthes besides. There's no way any solid reviewer will score it higher in it's current state - I'm waiting to see if they ptch it again soon that's for sure - looks like day 1 patch doesn't fix things

Parsnips wrote: »

Only in the gaming world would a 7 out of 10 be considered "bad". TBH without sounding like a rubbernecker I've always assumed Cyberpunk was going to underwhelm, the breathless anticipation almost impossible to match with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Its a game that I'm finding hard to get a sense of what it actually is, I'm looking forward to seeing some proper gameplay footage out in the wild

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

wes wrote: »
    A 2080 for minimum reqs? How many people have a VR headset and 2080 or better card, and on top of that the 340 gb space required.

No way I would bother buying a new Graphics card to run this.

I guess I will give this a look whenever I get around to upgrading my PC in 2 or 3 years, or if there is a PS VR 2 version or something.

Also, min req of a Intel i7 9700K (which I actually have), is also pretty nuts.

The 9700k and 2080 are recommended specs, not minimum. They're still very high though. I can hear the the squeal out of my vega 56 already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Here's a trailer for "new (by which they mean, available now) and upcoming" games on PS5. It has a few snippets about console exclusivity, for those that care;

Deathloop and Ghostwire will console exclusives for at least 12 months.
    Project Athia will be a console exclusive for at least 24 months.
    Godfall is a console exclusive for at least 6 months.
    All the above will be coming to PC too, at the same time as PS5.

Horizon FW, Ratchet and Clank, and GT7 are still being touted as 2021 releases.

So no exclusives pretty much other than ratchet and Horizon (and who knows if they eventually make it to PC).

As for GT7, polyphony haven't managed to release a GT on time since GT3. Still if it does release on time I can see it releasing in absolute rag order like the last game before being patched into something much better down the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Godfall is a console exclusive for at least 6 months.

That’s a point in the Xbox column, so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

As for GT7, polyphony haven't managed to release a GT on time since GT3. Still if it does release on time I can see it releasing in absolute rag order like the last game before being patched into something much better down the line.

Ugh, don't remind me. IIRC, GT6's Track Creator was added 2 years after launch. That was pretty good though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I like Gran Turismo Sport. Good to see they are always adding content to it.

Halo Infinite release date is next autumn:

https://twitter.com/halo/status/1336456344690417665?s=21

I feel for the team behind this one. Reports suggest a rough development even before COVID. But to go from big reveal in the summer - ahead of a touted release just a few months later - to being delayed for a year really is a heck of a dramatic shift. Wonder if they’d have pushed ahead with a launch this year if the memes were a little tamer.

At least the game’s getting a generous extra stretch of development time, and the dev team get to relax over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

pixelburp wrote: »
    Only in the gaming world would a 7 out of 10 be considered "bad". TBH without sounding like a rubbernecker I've always assumed Cyberpunk was going to underwhelm, the breathless anticipation almost impossible to match with reality.

7/10 on many sites..
    IGN gave it a 9 but with comments like " maybe better in 6months"
    that tells me all I need to know.
    I really want this game but am going to have to force myself to stay away.

Hopefully we will get some PS5 reviews in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The Wolf Among Us 2 is still alive, but a ways off.

https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/1337110894468161536?s=20

• Advertisement

End of an era.

PS3, Ps Vita and PSP stores will stop taking credit card payments from 1 January.

Won't be long before they wind those stores down completely.

Advertisement