Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Halo 3 was a massive amount of fun. ODST was grand but Reach was great even if the story was crap and it sacrificed the madness of the biggest Halo 3 battles for a more structured game.

Halo 4 was just so bland. Can't tell you what it was even about other than the uncomfortable thirstiness of the Chief and Cortana which was baffling. Halo 5... I can't even be bothered to finish that one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Halo 4 and Gears 4 were both just such disappointing safe games. Their trilogies had been wrapped up, there were new development teams on board, they could have taken the series anywhere but instead it was straight back to more of the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS5 and XBox Series X have turned out to be badly made flops it seems.

There's really no excuse for their horrible design. There are these massive behemoths that need massive fans to keep them cool. That's just terrible engineering when you consider this brand new console that is being sold at auction and not only plays games but also keeps your beer cold:

https://www.shopbeergear.com/products/bl6-the-coolest-cooler-ever

No excuses for Sony/Microsoft for shoddy engineering.

Unfortunately if you want that console there's only one available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Now that games consoles are essentially midrange PC hardware these things were both always going to be big. I don't even imagine they'll be able to make them that small with the mid-gen redesign.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Halo 4 and Gears 4 were both just such disappointing safe games. Their trilogies had been wrapped up, there were new development teams on board, they could have taken the series anywhere but instead it was straight back to more of the same.

It’s a bit of a poison chalice for these new studios - existing solely to make cover versions of another studio’s work. Both Gears and Halo have definitely suffered from being more of the same. That said, new blood gave Forza a fresh lease of life with the Horizon series (albeit a spin-off) so if MS are going to keep going back to the same wells that’s the model they should follow. Hopefully that’s the route they’re going for with Fable (which honestly is well in need of a reimagining).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Remakes and sequels market themselves. I prefer surprises but with 4k art assets I don't think there's much room for failure or experimentation so we can expect more and more of this stuff.

The problem I feel with Microsoft's studios is there's too many games like half and gears. They aren't filling any gaps in the software library whereas sony has a lot of by the numbers games but as they produce quite a few game experiences that are unique to the console. Of course nintendo are way ahead of sony in that regard but it gives a good incentive to buy a ps5 whereas the market for people buying a xbox for gears or halo has shrunk considerably.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CatInABox wrote: »

Rather bizarrely, this is a James Bond game.

From these guys, it could be good. It's an origin story, earning your 00 status.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

From these guys, it could be good. It's an origin story, earning your 00 status.
    giphy.gif

It'll be interesting to see whether they go for a more 47-like stealthy agent or go full ham with a modern Craig-esque visceral action based one. In any case, sign me the **** up with these guys on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's safe to say I did not see that coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

Sounds promising. I've played Hitman down the years and enjoyed them, but always thought 47 was a kinda ridiculous character. A huge bald lad with a barcode on his head never struck me as the archetypal 'hitman'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The latest Hitman games were already Bond games at this point. There's even cutscenes based entirely on one of the newer Bond movies, too. Some of the staff there obviously like the IP. That said with the absolute travesty of how they handle their online systems, DRM and platform choice (H3 is Epic now) I don't think I'll be touching anything IOI make. They'll have to do a complete 180 on their business and release model.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wait! So all these years it was the barrel of a gun and not a camera lens that Bond walked into?

With the delays of Another Day to Die, the game could be released before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Grand theft auto V getting a big update, probably for the December update. No word if it's just GTA online or for normal V too, some of the map changes to GTA online made their way into the single player for V.

Whole new island being added, only a teaser out so far but looks like they're adding fake Santa Catalina (island off coast of LA). Summer update was a bit lacking but did double down on all the boat stuff, winter updates tend to be the big one each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's the fúcking Catalina wine mixer!!! :eek:

Varik wrote: »
    [/YOUTUBE]bUIpeD0tA8g[/YOUTUBE]

As a feature they added that you can also do the new heist solo.

Praise Jeebus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭recyclops

that music alone will make me wanna play a game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,560 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Time to download GTA Online again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wonder if it'll still run smoothly on my OG Xbone. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Time to download GTA Online again!

Yeah, the premium edition is €14.69 on psn until 30th so might pick it up if people up for doing the heist.

GTA online is meant to be free for the first 3 months (to keep) for ps plus members when the ps5 native version gets released.

Going to guess that version won't come with any bonuses like the premium edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Varik wrote: »
    GTA online is meant to be free for the first 3 months (to keep) for ps plus members when the ps5 native version gets released.

Going to guess that version won't come with any bonuses like the premium edition.

Yeah doubt it. The premium online edition basically includes the full game and the Criminal Enterprise Starter Pack which contains:

GTA$ Bonus Cash
    GTA$1,000,000

Property
    • Maze Bank West Executive Office
    • Paleto Forest Gunrunning Bunker
    • Senora Desert Counterfeit Cash Factory
    • Great Chaparral Biker Clubhouse
    • 1561 San Vitas Street Apartment
    • 1337 Exceptionalists Way 10 Car Garage

Vehicles
    • Dune FAV
    • Maibatsu Frogger
    • Enus Windsor
    • Obey Omnis
    • Coquette Classic
    • Turismo R
    • Pegassi Vortex
    • Huntley S
    • Western Zombie Chopper
    • Banshee

Weapons, Clothing & Tattoos:
    • Compact Grenade Launcher
    • Marksman Rifle
    • Compact Rife
    • Stunt Race & Import / Export Outfits, Biker Tattoos

Yeah doubt it. The premium online edition basically includes the full game and the Criminal Enterprise Starter Pack which contains:

There's an extra 10m on top of that of the 1m from the pack.

That with all the businesses you get plus buying a few more, and using some of that money on certain upgrades for those you'd be making a lot quickly.

Only thing to note is that there's a lot to keep track of and heading to the subreddit for GTA for the profit margin and tips for each business as you can waste a lot of effort doing the wrong thing the wrong way or just open yourself to raids or player attacks that you could have easily avoided.

Also stuff goes on sales all the time so no reason to buy anything in game full prices, the week that biker businesses are on sale is also usually the week that there's bonuses for those. This week is a bad example as Yachts are on sale and even on sale no new player should buy one of those as the return isn't there in money or gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wait! So all these years it was the barrel of a gun and not a camera lens that Bond walked into?

Yup, always been the case. I only copped it because of my love of guns in general, and when I started watching the bond films proper I was in the FCA so recognized it as rifling.

Unless you're taking the pish. I can't tell these days...

Also, more online stuff for GTA online including a new map/island? And here's me still waiting for the promised single player DLC. They really should be giving GTA V away for free now, have they not earned enough from it yet? Is it even still active with large numbers? From what I could tell over the years, the main fun was multiplayer mods on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nope. I genuinely thought it was like the shutter of a camera lens or something along those lines. I suppose I was young when I started watching them in the 80s and had no reason to think otherwise since then, not taking much notice.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Nope. I genuinely thought it was like the shutter of a camera lens or something along those lines. I suppose I was young when I started watching them in the 80s and had no reason to think otherwise since then, not taking much notice.

I only copped it because of an American Dad! spoof :)

• Advertisement

Interesting looking FPS that's meant to play like Brutal Doom.

Advertisement