Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

That's quite sad news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

At least the branding will remain. Walking out of Akihabara Station and being greeted with the giant Sega buildings is one of those amazing geeky moments when visiting Tokyo.

Didn’t realise they’d already closed one of their Akihabara arcades - the one with the iconic orange escalators.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Azza wrote: »
    That's quite sad news.

What's sad is when it get's turned into a Sega branded pachinko parlour

Varik wrote: »
    What's sad is when it get's turned into a Sega branded pachinko parlour

Not if you love pachinko!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Glad I got to experience the arcades in Japan before this.

If you are going to go to the arcades in Akihabara though and don't have much time I'd actually avoid the likes of the big branded arcades like the Sega one. HEY is the arcade to go to. The floor with all the retro games is insane and what with just the sheer variety and number of machines. It's decked out in loads of Darius memorabilia as they absolutely adore Darius. Even the newer games section is worth checking out as that is where they location test games, at the time they were location testing Time Crisis 5 and I got to play it well in advance of its release. Few anime fighting games as well I can't remember the name of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

CatInABox wrote: »
    Bit of an end of an era here, Sega has had to sell off their Arcade business, due to it being destroyed by Covid. I remember going into one in Tokyo, it was incredible, until that moment almost every other arcade I'd been in was basically a converted storeroom, and this dwarfed them all put together.

See here.

You'd wonder if Sega are still a target for MS to purchase with this news.

This smells fishy to me.
    Ide say Covid19 is just the excuse they need to mask everything else.
    Like anyone else that was thinking of shutting up shop.
    BINGO.
    Cov19 is your free "NO HASSLE" pass

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Now I want to play the Farewell DLC!

Celeste is currently on sale on the PSN store for €7.99 if anyone hasn't tried this brilliant game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I must go back to it, played a good bit but I was getting PTSD from Super Meat Boy, it was just too close to when I 100%'ed that game.... the horror. The horror.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A whole genre I can't get into. Those precision platformers demand more patience and reactions than I possess, rooms trying to feck with me (though I've heard Celeste has very accommodating difficulty sliders for hamfisted idiots like me, so maybe it's worth a shout sometime)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Celeste is definitely as good as 2D platformers get. The simple depth of the mechanics, the best-in-class mix of difficulty and accessibility, and the actual sense of narrative momentum and character development really give it an edge over even the best of the competition.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Looks like more consolidation coming.

https://twitter.com/tomhtimes/status/1324750568422809602

Can't say I'm surprised, I think there's going to be a good few of these during the next gen.

Coincidentally, when do we go from calling "next-gen" to "current-gen"? Tuesday, with the Xbox launch?

CatInABox wrote: »

Coincidentally, when do we go from calling "next-gen" to "current-gen"? Tuesday, with the Xbox launch?

Next gen starts when PS5 releases :pac:

But yes, Tuesday will be known as current gen and the ps4 and xbox one will be known as smelly last gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

We'll be seeing reviews/comments using the term "truly next-gen" for a while yet, I'm sure

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CastorTroy wrote: »
    We'll be seeing reviews/comments using the term "truly next-gen" for a while yet, I'm sure

Ha, that's true, the phrase "truly current-gen" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Next gen starts when PS5 releases :pac:

But yes, Tuesday will be known as current gen and the ps4 and xbox one will be known as smelly last gen.

Technically next-gen started with the Switch, as the Wii U was the same gen as the PS4 and Xbox One........ and Nintendo kicked off a new console earlier than everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

wes wrote: »
    Technically next-gen started with the Switch, as the Wii U was the same gen as the PS4 and Xbox One........ and Nintendo kicked off a new console earlier than everyone else.

Both Switch and Wii U are considered Gen 8.
    Gen 9 starts next week with MS and Sony :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Both Switch and Wii U are considered Gen 8.
    Gen 9 starts next week with MS and Sony :)

I disagree with that one, Nintendo had there gen8 with the WiiU, but I guess that is just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

WiiU and Switch very similar computing wise. BOTW was slightly better on Switch. Mario kart 8 probably the same.

Both 8 gen ... Also see this Wikipedia article which is not fake probably

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_generation_of_video_game_consoles

Square Enix had a ¥6.5bn loss for HD Games last quarter earnings, mostly down to Avengers.

• Advertisement

Spoilers: just because wikipedia says it's gen 8 doesn't make it true. There's no official body naming it. I could call it gen 53 and it is about as legitimate as the wikipedia claim

All I know is the switch is available, relevant and still supported during the upcoming gen and is therefore part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wouldn't even include Nintendo in gens anymore, they're separate to MS/Sony in the whole generations thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wouldn't even include Nintendo in gens anymore, they're separate to MS/Sony in the whole generations thing.

Exactly this.

Microsoft & Sony are constantly playing catch-up to PC in terms of graphics/technology.

Nintendo are in a different market ever since the Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'd have Switch and WiiU as the same generation, as they share so much of their first party libraries. Its part of the PS4/Xbox1 generation, they went a year early with a fairly poor system and then released the Switch which is what they wanted to make anyway.

Varik wrote: »
    Square Enix had a ¥6.5bn loss for HD Games last quarter earnings, mostly down to Avengers.

Lost their ass on people not buying microtransactions. Even there being no MCU movie in the last year hurt it, not that I'd miss those that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

62m USD loss? How much did that game cost?!

Square Enix definitely in the running for 'WTF were they thinking' boards game awards this year. Even with no MCU film, they made an awful balls out of that license.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pure greed at work; SquareEnix took possibly the most bullet proof license ATM, had an easy target to hit and shot past the easy money of a good Single Player game into Anthem V2.

Bingo. Nintendo do their own thing and aren't even participating in the arms race of consoles. I wouldn't ever think of counting them in the discussion.

Hopefully it means the team can ditch avengers and make deus ex games again...

ERG89 wrote: »

Lost their ass on people not buying microtransactions. Even there being no MCU movie in the last year hurt it, not that I'd miss those that much.

I don't think microtransaction stopped people buying it in the first place, but they along with lack of post content drove prople to drop it.

None of the pre launch stuff looked good, the game was very ambiguous and looked like a worse version of the ultimate alliance games.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hopefully it means the team can ditch avengers and make deus ex games again...

Is there a way of giving a post 100 thanks?

Advertisement