Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    End of an era.

PS3, Ps Vita and PSP stores will stop taking credit card payments from 1 January.

Won't be long before they wind those stores down completely.

So are they going purely pre-paid PSN cards then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,155 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    So are they going purely pre-paid PSN cards then?

And paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The 9700k and 2080 are recommended specs, not minimum. They're still very high though. I can hear the the squeal out of my vega 56 already.

I took a look at the steam page and it the minimum spec and recommended are the same. So it maybe a mistake.

Going to hold off until there is a sale and the spec business has been clarified.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

wes wrote: »
    I took a look at the steam page and it the minimum spec and recommended are the same. So it maybe a mistake.

Going to hold off until there is a sale and the spec business has been clarified.

Yeah I'll be waiting on a few reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

End of an era.

PS3, Ps Vita and PSP stores will stop taking credit card payments from 1 January.

Won't be long before they wind those stores down completely.

It’s because of changes within PSD2 regulations around strong customer authentication when buying online. PS3 will need effort to support it and it’s simply not going to be developed

Store will still take PSN credit so you can top up and buy that way. Store is not closing (for now) and this isnt any Sony decision

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,155 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It’s because of changes within PSD2 regulations around strong customer authentication when buying online. PS3 will need effort to support it and it’s simply not going to be developed

Store will still take PSN credit so you can top up and buy that way. Store is not closing (for now) and this isnt any Sony decision

It kind of is though. The fact they can't be arsed updating shows they don't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

It kind of is though. The fact they can't be arsed updating shows they don't really care.

It's not that easy. Could require a new version of multiple types of middleware just to get it to work.
    The effort would not justify the revenue from those channels.

It's not that easy. Could require a new version of multiple types of middleware just to get it to work.
    The effort would not justify the revenue from those channels.

I understand that but it obviously not worth the effort to support the stores anymore. Would like to see access to them up indefinitely but that's a pipedream. We've already lost Wiiware and this looks like it will be for the chopping board soon enough.

Yakuza 3 - 6 coming to PC next year. They took their time but I'm all for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yakuza 3 - 6 coming to PC next year. They took their time but I'm all for this!

And going straight into GamePass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Gamepass is ridiculously good value. Impossible to ignore!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1338486666248544257

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have announced that they're working on shared guidelines for "Safer Gaming". Hopefully it makes a difference long term, so many communities are cesspools at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It'd be interesting to see what they come up with. My 6 year olds keen to play Minecraft online but I don't particularly want him in the same eco system as 15 year olds. I've been over at peoples houses with teenagers and the voice chat can get a bit grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I wouldn't recommend relying on big foreign tech corporations to protect your children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If efforts are made you can make games safer, more accessible, and better all at the same time.

Apex's ping system is a great example.

If you have limited speech you can still ping objects to tell your teammates where they are. If you don't want your kids talking to weirdos you can knock off voice and still not impact gameplay. Or even if neither of those impacts you, you can still ping a bunch of stuff so you don't have to try and explain it to your idiot mates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The proof of the pudding here will be in what actual action or systems they put in place: and the focusing on children seems like they're forgetting that abuse and harassment still takes place between "adult" gamers outside of the Big 3's Gardens *looks at Cyberpunk* Given how game corporations generally behave, I have no faith this will be the kind of root & branch approach needed to properly ostracise the shíttier elements of the entire culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

pixelburp wrote: »
    I have no faith this will be the kind of root & branch approach needed to properly ostracise the shíttier elements of the entire culture.

especially when that toxic element also tends to be part of such a reliable customer base. No corporation would be willing to hand out a ban to the people who regularly buy every release and dlc that comes out for their big AAA titles.

Edit: Also I think a big stumbling block for dealing with any of this is how often any attempt to control your space online is turned into some sort of failing of free speech or embracing of censorship.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    especially when that toxic element also tends to be part of such a reliable customer base. No corporation would be willing to hand out a ban to the people who regularly buy every release and dlc that comes out for their big AAA titles.

Edit: Also I think a big stumbling block for dealing with any of this is how often any attempt to control your space online is turned into some sort of failing of free speech or embracing of censorship.

Well this is it to a tee: money talks, and all the big gestures can't disguise the reluctance to actively punish a core, angry cohort of the culture; one that continues to find new depths to sink, such as trying to induce epileptic seizures in a reviewer who dared to speak ill of Cyberpunk. I'm not even sure how you combat that kind of toxicity; my only initial thought was to (somehow) blacklist those attackers from gaming services - but that loops back to the "removing a customer" element a corporation will back away from.

I find the platform holders are feeding into this as well. Creating an us against them atmosphere. Trying to keep customers tied to their brand and product by creating tribalism. I find Sony way worse at this that microsoft. I see it manifesting with sony fanboys being more numerous and the worst of the lot.

No concrete evidence but it's a gut feeling I've had lately. You see so much vitriol spilled by fanboys when someone dates give the latest sony exclusive less than a 9. I haven't seen that type of reaction for other platforms games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I find the platform holders are feeding into this as well. Creating an us against them atmosphere. Trying to keep customers tied to their brand and product by creating tribalism. I find Sony way worse at this that microsoft. I see it manifesting with sony fanboys being more numerous and the worst of the lot.

No concrete evidence but it's a gut feeling I've had lately. You see so much vitriol spilled by fanboys when someone dates give the latest sony exclusive less than a 9. I haven't seen that type of reaction for other platforms games.

I often wonder is it the year thats in it, between covid and the US elections, everything online is poisoned into making everyone feel like they have to take a side. Also, with no other social outlets, people are online a lot more, and its a source of venting / exercising of hollow power by putting someone else down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Death Stranding ps5 update?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm playing Death Stranding at the moment. It's a weird, weird game with stupid cameos, dumb product placement and typical Kojima bolloxology but there's something addictive about it. I find it hard to put down, often thinking "A few more deliveries and I'll turn it off."

I laid the final piece of road to connect Lake Knot City and South Knot Distro Centre last night and it's the most accomplishment I've got from a game in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Unearthly

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'm playing Death Stranding at the moment. It's a weird, weird game with stupid cameos, dumb product placement and typical Kojima bolloxology but there's something addictive about it. I find it hard to put down, often thinking "A few more deliveries and I'll turn it off."

I laid the final piece of road to connect Lake Knot City and South Knot Distro Centre last night and it's the most accomplishment I've got from a game in a while.

Just started it myself and I think I'm falling in love with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

It'd be interesting to see what they come up with. My 6 year olds keen to play Minecraft online but I don't particularly want him in the same eco system as 15 year olds. I've been over at peoples houses with teenagers and the voice chat can get a bit grim.

No way Ide be letting a 6year old game online regardless of what game it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,695 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just in case people don't check for new threads often, the Boards GOTY award nominations are live but going quick. Thanks Mr. E for organising again this year.

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/499

That post about Activision banning a 6 year old streamer was a scam.

There was something creepy about letting your 6 year old play over 18s games in the first place. Now it's clear the parents make him do it so he can make them an income stream.

Then they faked this ban so he would go viral. The reason behind that is so he could become part of some e sport merch selling group that flogs tat to kids.

Hopefully Twitch and Youtube do ban the channel.

https://www-pcgamer-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/a-family-lied-about-their-six-year-old-childs-warzone-ban-to-create-viral-news/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgamer.com%2Fa-family-lied-about-their-six-year-old-childs-warzone-ban-to-create-viral-news%2F

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

There was something creepy about letting your 6 year old play over 18s games in the first place. Now it's clear the parents make him do it so he can make them an income stream.

Then they faked this ban so he would go viral. The reason behind that is so he could become part of some e sport merch selling group that flogs tat to kids.

https://www-pcgamer-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/a-family-lied-about-their-six-year-old-childs-warzone-ban-to-create-viral-news/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgamer.com%2Fa-family-lied-about-their-six-year-old-childs-warzone-ban-to-create-viral-news%2F

FFS they let anyone be a parent. They should be arrested

I'm sitting here feeding our first; two months old Friday and the idea someone could try to monetise their child in such a public, fractious environment, feels perverse. Probably doesn't qualify for child services intervening but you would feel for the kid.

*Goes off to Google "can you sell your child on gumtree"*

• Advertisement

Yeah if you want to play games with your kid that's cool. Just play with them and have some fun.

If you put that online, brand it, make yourself their manager. Make them do things that they don't understand or consent to. You are a piece of garbage.

Advertisement