Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It's because of the huge contract that is already in place with another company
    Whitman said he didn't "know" but then says UFC wants them to sell there idea or simple work along side the company that supplies the gloves now,
    That's code for saying we want your gloves but we have a long ass contract and that we aren't going to break (they d have to pay off the other company) when consumer of the product don't really care about the gloves

But doesn't the other company just manufacture the UFC gloves? That company doesn't own the design. The UFC could easily tell them we now want you to manufacture this new design for the remainder of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

eye v calvillo as a main event in 2 weeks :eek:

I thought I was seeing things :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whelo79 wrote: »
    But doesn't the other company just manufacture the UFC gloves? That company doesn't own the design. The UFC could easily tell them we now want you to manufacture this new design for the remainder of the contract.

Yea they could. But in order to do that, they’d need to buy the rights to the design. Which Trevor refused to sell.

This is less “Trevor sticking to his guns” and more being naive and bad at business. He could wait for the renewal I guess.

Mellor wrote: »
    Yea they could. But in order to do that, they’d need to buy the rights to the design. Which Trevor refused to sell.

Not necessarily. The UFC could buy rights to the design alright, but the stumbling block seems to be that they want exclusive rights to the design, to actually buy the patent for the design. That's what he doesn't want to release, as he wants all fighters in all organisations to be able to use his glove.

Not necessarily. The UFC could buy rights to the design alright, but the stumbling block seems to be that they want exclusive rights to the design, to actually buy the patent for the design. That's what he doesn't want to release, as he wants all fighters in all organisations to be able to use his glove.

Yeah. I suppose there’s a solution where he could license the design to the UFC but also retain the option to license to others.
    Maybe he should get them into the market with smaller org, if they gain traction he might have a stronger case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I don't watch Joe Rogan. What's the benefit of the glove design?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Didn't watch but am assuming it will stop the likes of Jon Jones from finger banging your eye holes

Still Ill wrote: »
    I don't watch Joe Rogan. What's the benefit of the glove design?

They actually went into a lot of detail about how poor the UFC glove design is. It forces the fingers open (resulting in eye pokes). The forearms burn out due to the effort of constantly making a fist (forcing against the resistance from the glove design) and also from how tight the gloves are. Fighters are wearing gloves a bigger size to accommodate for the hand wraps. There is also apparently huge discrepencies in the actual weight of the gloves (4oz does not always mean 4oz, and the right is often lighter than the left for some reason). The padding used is substandard compared to modern impact padding that is available.

Whitman's design protects the hand more, allows a more natural finger position and freedom of movement. It eliminates the need for hand wraps due to a pull string design, which keeps the hand compact and tight. It also uses modern impact padding which absorbs the force of impact. They done a cool test by dropping a large marble on the current padding vs modern impact padding. The current padding the marble bounced several times after initial impact. With the modern padding the marble stopped dead, zero bounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jon Jones is vacating the light-heavyweight title

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

ricero wrote: »
    Jon Jones is vacating the light-heavyweight title

Wonder if through choice or popped again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,642 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

scudzilla wrote:
    He is looking to be released after Dana dissed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

They actually went into a lot of detail about how poor the UFC glove design is. It forces the fingers open (resulting in eye pokes). The forearms burn out due to the effort of constantly making a fist (forcing against the resistance from the glove design) and also from how tight the gloves are. Fighters are wearing gloves a bigger size to accommodate for the hand wraps. There is also apparently huge discrepencies in the actual weight of the gloves (4oz does not always mean 4oz, and the right is often lighter than the left for some reason). The padding used is substandard compared to modern impact padding that is available.

Whitman's design protects the hand more, allows a more natural finger position and freedom of movement. It eliminates the need for hand wraps due to a pull string design, which keeps the hand compact and tight. It also uses modern impact padding which absorbs the force of impact. They done a cool test by dropping a large marble on the current padding vs modern impact padding. The current padding the marble bounced several times after initial impact. With the modern padding the marble stopped dead, zero bounce.

The biggest surprise form it was the foam they use is basically just every day foam which shifts around ,Whitman's technology foam is miles better ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

scudzilla wrote: »

Attention seeking

The biggest surprise form it was the foam they use is basically just every day foam which shifts around ,Whitman's technology foam is miles better ,
    It also uses modern impact padding which absorbs the force of impact. They done a cool test by dropping a large marble on the current padding vs modern impact padding. The current padding the marble bounced several times after initial impact. With the modern padding the marble stopped dead, zero bounce.

Haven't see the details on the foam yet. And I know know anything about modern glove design.
    But just on the impact padding stuff. Is that extra absorption desirable? Why?
    I can understand it in training gloves. Where you want extra protection, without extra bulk. But for fight gloves, I'm not sure if it is a benefit.

Similar with no wraps too I guess. Makes sense for training. Not should I'd want unwrapped hands in a fight situation.

Haven't see the details on the foam yet. And I know know anything about modern glove design.
    But just on the impact padding stuff. Is that extra absorption desirable? Why?
    I can understand it in training gloves. Where you want extra protection, without extra bulk. But for fight gloves, I'm not sure if it is a benefit.

Similar with no wraps too I guess. Makes sense for training. Not should I'd want unwrapped hands in a fight situation.

The absorption in the new one is not about taken away impact , its about the foam not shifting on impact, It means the foam stays in place and doesn't move leaving your hands vulnerable ,

Basically is not to protect your opponent from impact its to protect your hands, second metacarpal breaks are the most common fight injury in MMA,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The absorption in the new one is not about taken away impact , its about the foam not shifting on impact, It means the foam stays in place and doesn't move leaving your hands vulnerable ,

Basically is not to protect your opponent from impact its to protect your hands, second metacarpal breaks are the most common fight injury in MMA,

It's the impact in the shin guards though.

The strapping on the glove looks like it would help mitigate against wrist injuries as well.

As an aside, albeit injury-related, Justin not wearing a cup? Jesus.

It's the impact in the shin guards though.

The strapping on the glove looks like it would help mitigate against wrist injuries as well.

As an aside, albeit injury-related, Justin not wearing a cup? Jesus.

I know that's crazy , but sure look he fights grown men in a cage for a living so doesn't surprise me that hes crazy ,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I know that's crazy , but sure look he fights grown men in a cage for a living so doesn't surprise me that hes crazy ,

A cup though...

Remember seeing a guy get kicked in training and wasn't wearing a cup. Never forgot it once after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Even a glancing blow hurts.
    Or a knee slice pass that's a bit too high, that's a fairly common one for me.

I get the issue with shifting padding. I was talking about the marble test, not sure how more absorption prevents slipping though. More secure fixing would fix that.

I'm aware that gloves protect the hands not the head. But so do boxing gloves.
    Woudl be interesting to know where the gloves sze compared to 6oz gloves.

Hands wraps also protect the metacarpals and wrist. Not the knuckles as many people assume. Don't the idea of not wrapping in comp. But not flat gloves is a huge plus

• Advertisement

I get the issue with shifting padding. I was talking about the marble test, not sure how more absorption prevents slipping though. More secure fixing would fix that.

I'm aware that gloves protect the hands not the head. But so do boxing gloves.
    Woudl be interesting to know where the gloves sze compared to 6oz gloves.

Hands wraps also protect the metacarpals and wrist. Not the knuckles as many people assume. Don't the idea of not wrapping in comp. But not flat gloves is a huge plus

Hard to explain without diagrams but if you add more fixing into a glove especially a small MMA glove ,it leave more place for the padding to be weak around the fixing if that makes sense and still doesn't stop the foam from bunching ( basically the foam is pushed away from the impact point )

The technology foam means you don't need more fixing, If you heat the foam (hair dryer) it'll sculpt to your hand and won't move with impact at all ,Witman reckon you don't need wraps with his foam and his fighters don't use wraps in the gym , Said Rose was the last to convert,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Eddie Hearn and Tony bellow have a pod cast out. It's mostly mma chat. 6 episodes so far ones with Bisping, Helwani, Till, Dana. On matchroom boxing YouTube.

Hearn seems to be serious about trying to get a boxing v mma event going.

US2 wrote:
    Eddie Hearn and Tony bellow have a pod cast out. It's mostly mma chat. 6 episodes so far ones with Bisping, Helwani, Till, Dana. On matchroom boxing YouTube.

Well knowing how much Hearn loves money this is about him getting into the MMA market. Big splash event with boxers vs MMA fighters is the perfect way to publicise a new MMA company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

US2 wrote: »

Hearn came across well on Helwanis show a while back. Also good interview on True Geordie pod not long before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Boards favorite Ian Heinisch has been removed from the 250 card due to his cornermen testing positive for corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

ASOT wrote: »
    Boards favorite Ian Heinisch has been removed from the 250 card due to his cornermen testing positive for corona.

Back on now: https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/06/ian-heinisch-vs-gerald-meerschaert-back-on-ufc-250-false-positive-covid-19-test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

ASOT wrote: »

Why is he a boards fav again? I have a vague recollection of this

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

When I went to make my picks for the fight, ESPN still had Heinisch's replacement as a selection.

He had his record as 0-1-0............ surely that can't be right?

515372.PNG

Apoarently Heinisch is back in, coaches test was a false positive. He took another test and was cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭xtal191

Heinischs players tribune article is a great read, I'm sure it was posted before but heres the link for those who haven't read it

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/ian-heinisch-ufc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement